MITCH MITCHELL - DRUMS

9. YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT
JOHN LENNON - VOCALS AND ACOUSTIC GUITAR
ERIC CLAPTON - ACOUSTIC GUITAR AND ELECTRIC GUITAR
KEITH RICHARDS - BASS GUITAR
MITCH MITCHELL - DRUMS
LONDON BACH CHOIR
AL KOOPER - PIANO, ORGAN AND FRENCH HORN
Please note that NSFW images are NOT permitted on the Board, even artistic ones.

Man, i Don't really know which one between appetite for destruction or whitesnake's self-titled album sounds more like Zeppelin. I mean, appetite's got that 70's hard rock style, but some songs like welcome to the jungle, sweet child o'mine and You're crazy dont really sound like Zeppelin, while whitsnake's got songs like still of the night, which sounds like prime zeppelin, but the guitar work is too flashy and shreddy to sound like jimmy page, and here i go again sounds nothing like something zeppelin would've done...whaddya think, guys?

hey, guys, what do you think led zeppelin would've sounded like if they made a comeback album in the late 80s? cause i thought about making either appetite for destruction by GNR or whitesnake's self-titled album be that 80s zeppelin comeback album, as I believe they are the closest sonically to a sort of modernised zeppelin or just 70s style hard rock in general. however, I'm not really decided. which one do you think I should make the zeppelin 80s comeback album?

From what I gather, the feeling in the band was that the follow-up to 'In through the out-door' (ITTOD) was going to be a more *rocking* album, but Bonham's death curtailed that plan. So in 1981/2 probably something hard-edged. Robert Plant's first solo album Pictures at Eleven is a kinda glimpse of that, but more a rough sketch than a fully realised painting - so to speak. I can't help thinking that Led Zep (with or without Bonham) would have added a little x-factor to those songs.

Beyond that I think Robert Plant's eclectic nature may take them in interesting directions. Not sure whether that means synths & pop or more "world music"-influenced.

The big question is whether John Bonham survives. If he lives, and the close call drives him to curtail his drinking then Jimmy Page may not fall so deeply into addiction as OTL, and keep contributing ideas. If John dies & the others replace him, then Jimmy may fade back a little as in OTL - practically ceding the artistic direction to Plant/Jones (which was starting to happen in OTL with ITTOD)

From what I gather, the feeling in the band was that the follow-up to 'In through the out-door' (ITTOD) was going to be a more *rocking* album, but Bonham's death curtailed that plan. So in 1981/2 probably something hard-edged. Robert Plant's first solo album Pictures at Eleven is a kinda glimpse of that, but more a rough sketch than a fully realised painting - so to speak. I can't help thinking that Led Zep (with or without Bonham) would have added a little x-factor to those songs.

Beyond that I think Robert Plant's eclectic nature may take them in interesting directions. Not sure whether that means synths & pop or more "world music"-influenced.

The big question is whether John Bonham survives. If he lives, and the close call drives him to curtail his drinking then Jimmy Page may not fall so deeply into addiction as OTL, and keep contributing ideas. If John dies & the others replace him, then Jimmy may fade back a little as in OTL - practically ceding the artistic direction to Plant/Jones (which was starting to happen in OTL with ITTOD)

I didn't know about page's addiction post-bonham. damn :(

the reason I chose cozy Powell is that he had proven with rainbow on tracks like kill the king that he could play speed metal-style drums, which are prevalent on whitesnake tracks like bad boys and children of the night as well as Appetite for destruction tracks like you're crazy and the end of paradise city. if bonham had lived, as awesome a drummer he is, would he be able to speed it up like that? especially playing with only one bass drum like he did?

likewise for Jimmy page, whom I don't really see playing in the flashy shred style like on whitesnake's bad boys. I gotta think about this...

the reason I chose cozy Powell is that he had proven with rainbow on tracks like kill the king that he could play speed metal-style drums, which are prevalent on whitesnake tracks like bad boys and children of the night as well as Appetite for destruction tracks like you're crazy and the end of paradise city. if bonham had lived, as awesome a drummer he is, would he be able to speed it up like that? especially playing with only one bass drum like he did?

Powell could also take-on soul/jazz-rock (2nd Jeff Beck Group) and Prog Rock (Emerson Lake & Powell), so his range is a plus too.

alright, I made the first of two prototypes for my zeppelin whitesnake/Appetite for destruction alternate albums. feel free to give your opinion on these.

First up is the album with whitesnake songs, both from the self titled album and slip of the tongue:

LED ZEPPELIN-UNTITLED (commonly reffered to as Led Zeppelin 5) (1987)
Atlantic Records

Line-up:
Robert plant-vocals, lyrics
Jimmy page-guitar
John paul Jones-bass, keyboards
Cozy Powell-drums

TRACK LIST
1. Still of the night (page/plant/jones) 6:33
2. Gimme all of your love (plant/jones) 3:30
3. Bad boys (page/plant) 4: 09
4. Judgement day (page/plant/jones/powell) 5:19
5. Here i go again (plant/jones) 4:33
6. Slip of the tongue (page/plant/jones/powell) 5:21
7. sailing ships (Page/plant) 6:02
8. Children of the night (page/plant) 4:24
9. Fool for your loving (plant/jones) 4:10
10. Crying in the rain (plant/jones) 5:37

kKFjrNy.png

MY WAY
(1977)

Side A

1. My Way
2. Early Morning Rain (live)*
3. Go Your Own Way
4. Hotel California
5. It's Now or Never (live)
6. Trying to Get to You (live)

Side B (Elvis on Tour CBS special recordings)
1. Fairytale (live)
2. Jailhouse Rock (live)
3. I'm a Believer (Live)
4. Suspicious Minds (live)
5. Yesterday/Hey Jude (live)*
6. A Big Hunk o' Love (live)
7. T-R-O-U-B-L-E (live)
8. (You're So Square) Baby I Don't Care (live)

* were exclusives to this album and didn't air on CBS

My Way would give Elvis yet another number one hit with his cover of Frank Sinatra's My Way. The album was released with both studio recordings and recordings from the CBS special, it also included performances that were not included in the Elvis in Concert TV special. In 1992 the entire concert plus the unaired songs would be released on CD. Following both this album and the tv special Presley would run into a new and up-and-coming artist and would record an album with the young man.

MRsJlYr.png

Elvis In Concert
(1992)

Disc 1

1. Also Sprach Zarathustra
2. See See Rider
3. That's All Right
4. Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel
5. You Gave Me A Mountain
6. Jailhouse Rock
7. How Great Thou Art
8. Edge of Reality/ Strawberry Fields Forever
9. Elvis introduces his band and talks about his career so far
10. I'm a Believer
11. Elvis talks about The Beatles and wishes all of them luck
12. I Really Don't Want to Know
13. Hound Dog
14. It's Now or Never
15. Bringin' It Back
16. My Way
17. Are You Sincere?/Are You Lonesome Tonight? (fakes out the crowd with Are You before going into a mashup of both songs)
18. Hurt
19. Can't Help Falling in Love

Disc 2
1. Interview with Elvis about special and what he will do next
2. I Got a Woman/Amen
3. Oh! Darling
4. Elvis talks
5. Get Back/Baby What You Want Me To Do
6. Soul Man
7. Fairytale
8. (You're So Square) Baby I Don't Care
9. A Big Hunk o' Love
10. T-R-O-U-B-L-E
11. Yesterday/Hey Jude
12 .Early Morning Rain
13. One Night/One Night Of Sin (live mashup of his original 1958 classic and the original)

Last edited:
LJXYdRe.png

Off The Wall
(1978)

Side A

1. Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough (Elvis and Michael)
2. No More (Elvis)
3. Working Day and Night (Michael)
4. Rock With You (Elvis and Michael)
5. Off The Wall (Elvis and Michael)

Side B
1. Carry On Wayward Son (Elvis)
2. She's Out of My Life (Michael)
3. It's the Falling in Love (Elvis and Michael)
4. Burn This Disco Out (Michael)
5. I Can't Help It (Elvis)

Elvis Presley and Michael Jackson's paths first crossed in May 26 1974, when The Jackson 5 were at a dinner show at the Sahara Hotel where Presley was preforming and introduced the band. Later on Elvis sent a letter wishing the band good luck on their performance the next night, after the show Michael wrote back to Presley asking to meet with him the next time they preformed at the hotel. And Presley would respond before meeting the group, this would kick off Presley's and Jackson's friendship. Michael and Elvis became close friends, RCA took notice of the young Jackson and got him into a contract with the company before the end of 1975. Eventually Michael and Elvis would be recording together and Off The Wall is one of many results.

7P5u2Nm.png

Aron
(1978)

Side A

1. Fire
2. You’re the Reason I’m Living
3. I've Had Enough
4. Mona Lisa (1959 home recording)
5. You’re My Soul and My Inspiration
6. When The Saints Go Marching In

Side B
1. I Wanna Be Where You Are
2. Satisfied
3. Write Me A Letter
4. Just Walkin’ In The Rain
5. Don't Be Cruel (from 1956)
6. My Heart Cries For You

LP 2; Side A
1. Brown Eyed Handsome Man
2. Tweedlee Dee
3. That's Alright (Mama)
4. Where No One Stands Alone (alternate take; never released til this LP)
5. Kentucky Rain (alternate take 9; never released til this LP)
6. Milkcow Blues Boogie

LP 2; Side B
1. She May Be Yours But She Comes To See Me Sometimes
2. Soft And Tenderly
3. I Shall Not Be Moved
4. I'm Left You're Right, She's Gone
5. Blue Suede Shoes (from 1956)
6. Home Sweet Home (sung by Gladys Presley, unknown date)

Aron was Presley's biggest project having started it around the release of Off The Wall, Presley intentionally wanted the 2 LP set to be 4 but RCA wouldn't allow it due to budget constraints. Aron would go on to be the highest selling album of Presley's career at the time with critics and fans praising it, most rock historians rank it as the best album ever made. A surprise was the recording of Elvis' mother Gladys singing, the date is unknown and is the only recording she ever produced. Presley had found the recording and fell in love with it he would go on to include the song in his concerts and would record it in the future. In 2018 the set would be re-released with new songs and would have a 4 LP vinyl version released alongside the CD set.

2018 CD Re-release; Disc 1
1. Fire
2. You’re the Reason I’m Living
3. I've Had Enough
4. Mona Lisa (1959 home recording)
5. You’re My Soul and My Inspiration
6. When The Saints Go Marching In
7. I Wanna Be Where You Are
8. Satisfied
9. Write Me A Letter
10. Just Walkin’ In The Rain
11. Don't Be Cruel (from 1956)
12. My Heart Cries For You
13. Brown Eyed Handsome Man
14. Tweedlee Dee
15. That's Alright (Mama)
16. Where No One Stands Alone (alternate take; never released til this LP)
17. Kentucky Rain (alternate take 9; never released til this LP)
18. Milkcow Blues Boogie
19. She May Be Yours But She Comes To See Me Sometimes

Disc 2
1. Soft And Tenderly
2. I Shall Not Be Moved
3. I'm Left You're Right, She's Gone
4. Blue Suede Shoes (from 1956)
5. Home Sweet Home (sung by Gladys Presley, unknown date)
6. Just A Little Talk With Jesus
7. The Weight
8. Trying to Get to You (from the '68 comeback special)
9. Long Tall Sally
10. An American Trilogy
11. All You Need Is Love (take 5)
12. Western Union (Elvis only)
13. I'll Take Love (take 3)
14. Blue Suede Shoes (Carl Perkins)
15. Rocket 88 (Jackie Brenston and his Delta Cats)
16. Rock-A-My Soul (The Blackwood Brothers)
17. Blowin’ In The Wind (Odetta)
18. Rebound (Mike McCready)
19. Heartbreak Hotel (Paul McCartney)
20. Baby I Don’t Care (Queen)
21. Love Me Tender (Michael Jackson)

iTunes bonus tracks
1. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (takes 1-5)
2. I Wanna Hold Your Hand (take 7)
3. Little Cabin Home On The Hill (Million Dollar Quartet)
4. Dark Moon (home recording from 1966)
5. Too Much Monkey Business (Million Dollar Quartet)

Last edited:
When AC/DC lead singer Bon Scott dies in 1980, Ronnie James Dio comes in instead of Brian Johnson (POD is that Did never meets Tony Iommi)

All songs are written by Dio, Angus Young and Malcolm Young. Dio would continue to be with the band until his death. Much of the discussion amongst AC/DC fans is whether Dio or Scott was the best lead singer.

ANGEL IN MOURNING

SIDE ONE

1. Bells Ringing In Hell
2. Boiling Blood
3. What Do You Do For Money?
4. Wishing You Well
5. A Toast To The Dead

SIDE TWO
1. Lady Evil
2. Rock Ain't Dead And Buried
3. Shake It Up, Shoot It Out
4. I Still Ride On
5. Let Me Show You Love

When AC/DC lead singer Bon Scott dies in 1980, Ronnie James Dio comes in instead of Brian Johnson (POD is that Did never meets Tony Iommi)

All songs are written by Dio, Angus Young and Malcolm Young. Dio would continue to be with the band until his death. Much of the discussion amongst AC/DC fans is whether Dio or Scott was the best lead singer.

ANGEL IN MOURNING

SIDE ONE

1. Bells Ringing In Hell
2. Boiling Blood
4. Wishing You Well
5. A Toast To The Dead

SIDE TWO
1. Lady Evil
4. I Still Ride On
5. Let Me Show You Love
Dio had a theatrical singing voice (I assume here he would write the more darker songs on this album). Interesting to see how he would co-exist with Angus Young who had a penchant for dressing up like a schoolboy.

I wondered about ATL lead singers for AC/DC.
Jimmy Barnes - I wouldn't think he would be a good fit for songs like Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap or albums like Powerage. He doesn't (IMHO) have that much range. Bon Scott can play off the juvenile and soft tone in songs like She's Got Balls and Beating 'Round The Bush, but Barnes can't.
Dave Evans - The original lead singer for AC/DC (yes, Bon Scott was not the first). Had he continued, he would have kept the band in a glam rock fashion (which Angus and Malcolm changed immediately after doing just one single with Evans). He was not seen in a good light compared to Scott.

Just two off the top of my head. But I thought that Dio would be a great fit. He can pull off that sound of Back In Black, Night Prowler and Ride On. I wonder who would have replaced Ozzy if that did ever come true?

ANGEL IN MOURNING

SIDE ONE

1. Bells Ringing In Hell
2. Boiling Blood
4. Wishing You Well
5. A Toast To The Dead

SIDE TWO
1. Lady Evil
4. I Still Ride On
5. Let Me Show You Love
To me AC/DC always seemed carefree and straightforward (IMO stereotypical "dad rock"), and having Dio as singer (he'd no doubt write the majority of the lyrics as he did in Rainbow, Black Sabbath, and his solo works) will change that. He also wrote a ton of songs for Rainbow, Sabbath, and his solo career.

If Dio is the AC/DC singer until his death (a decade ago as of 5/16/20, damn), I think we have a wholly different AC/DC, and one which is much more linked to the roots of metal in the 80s. I can kind of imagine your typical AC/DC song might be like the brighter "hard rock" songs on solo Dio or Rainbow albums, but just as much they might go toward a sound like solo Dio or what Black Sabbath did on Headless Cross or Tyr ("melodic metal", basically a heavier sort of what Journey, Styx, etc. played).

I think David Coverdale would work better than Dio here, as he was always more "bluesy hard rock" and performed very well on underrated Deep Purple albums like Burn. Coverdale and Dio are always compared after all.
Just two off the top of my head. But I thought that Dio would be a great fit. He can pull off that sound of Back In Black, Night Prowler and Ride On. I wonder who would have replaced Ozzy if that did ever come true?
I love Tony Martin-era Sabbath (he is beyond underrated and it's sad he never had a career like other "replacements" like Ripper Owens or Blaze Bayley did), but I doubt they'd recruit Martin at that point. Maybe David Potter (OTL played in Cloven Hoof on their first album)? Although if we go full wank,I wonder if you could have Bruce Dickinson in Sabbath? Although there's a ton of OTL famous NWOBHM singers Sabbath could recruit. Although maybe they just grab Ian Gillan from Deep Purple--Sabbath with Ian Gillan could have serious potential even if OTL it was rather disappointing. If we go full wank (from an American metal/USPM perspective) maybe have Sabbath recruit a singer from the US like John Arch (first Fates Warning singer) or Jon Oliva (of Savatage).

To me AC/DC always seemed carefree and straightforward (IMO stereotypical "dad rock"), and having Dio as singer (he'd no doubt write the majority of the lyrics as he did in Rainbow, Black Sabbath, and his solo works) will change that. He also wrote a ton of songs for Rainbow, Sabbath, and his solo career.

If Dio is the AC/DC singer until his death (a decade ago as of 5/16/20, damn), I think we have a wholly different AC/DC, and one which is much more linked to the roots of metal in the 80s. I can kind of imagine your typical AC/DC song might be like the brighter "hard rock" songs on solo Dio or Rainbow albums, but just as much they might go toward a sound like solo Dio or what Black Sabbath did on Headless Cross or Tyr ("melodic metal", basically a heavier sort of what Journey, Styx, etc. played).

I think David Coverdale would work better than Dio here, as he was always more "bluesy hard rock" and performed very well on underrated Deep Purple albums like Burn. Coverdale and Dio are always compared after all.

I love Tony Martin-era Sabbath (he is beyond underrated and it's sad he never had a career like other "replacements" like Ripper Owens or Blaze Bayley did), but I doubt they'd recruit Martin at that point. Maybe David Potter (OTL played in Cloven Hoof on their first album)? Although if we go full wank,I wonder if you could have Bruce Dickinson in Sabbath? Although there's a ton of OTL famous NWOBHM singers Sabbath could recruit. Although maybe they just grab Ian Gillan from Deep Purple--Sabbath with Ian Gillan could have serious potential even if OTL it was rather disappointing. If we go full wank (from an American metal/USPM perspective) maybe have Sabbath recruit a singer from the US like John Arch (first Fates Warning singer) or Jon Oliva (of Savatage).

See, I was going by ear alone when I came up with the post. I did not think of David Coverdale, now that you mentioned it. I like the sound of Tony Martin. I don't know who David Potter is.

I tell you man, you're giving me some ideas for my TL. Thanks