Restoration of the Great Ming: A Tianqi Timeline

A Storm Over China [Chapter 5]
Changgyeonggung, Hanseong

Hyojong of Joseon relaxed in the cool breeze coming through the great arched window. He’d had this palace renovated as a wedding present to his wife. There were other palaces, of course, but he had become rather fond of this one.

Gentle footsteps. “Is that you, dear one?” It was, of course. He turned to embrace her. “How have you been, my precious gem?”

Their lips met. Further conversation was unnecessary and, at times, quite impossible. Although they enjoyed themselves thoroughly.

Afterwards, spent, he relaxed, his queen curled up in his arms. “I received an emissary from the Ming court today,” he said.

“Oh?” Erdani -- for so she was known in all but the most formal ceremonial contexts -- raised her head. “The real court, you mean?”

“The one in Beijing, yes. Not the rebellion that’s going on. Careful how you talk, now,” he teasingly pinched her bottom.

“I did not question the legitimacy of our esteemed elder brother,” she said, swatting at his hand. “And if the emperor’s men were in our bedroom, listening to us talk, then after what they’ve just seen, they should be in a good mood, anyways!”

He laughed. The idea of the Ming emissaries watching him and his wife was, frankly, absurd.

“It’s all a mess,” he said.

“You are not wrong.” Erdani stretched her arms, only to cuddle even closer to him. “From what you say, this princeling thinks that he’s the true emperor, with a superior claim to the man who rules in Beijing, because his father should have been emperor before him? How many generations removed are we from when the controversy actually mattered?”

“One or two, I think. Not that it makes a lot of practical difference.” Hyojong yawned. “Point is, we’ve got some quite violent men looking to gather support in their little civil war. And we’ve got the emperor in Beijing making it very clear that he counts upon our loyalty and continued support.” Or at least, not giving any support to the usurper.

“Mm. I could have told you as much, and I haven’t talked to any emissaries.”

“Quite so. And yet,” the king continued, “the emperor has a special request of us. If his sons, the imperial princes, make it to our territories, we are to extend them every gesture of hospitality and keep them safe against their enemies.”

Erdani raised her head. “What?!”

Hyojong briefly filled her in on all that had happened.

“But they haven’t arrived yet, have they? How long has it been?”

“I am not sure. I assume the rebels attempted to capture them at the beginning, failed, and are now searching for them. The emissary came to me by a rather fast ship.” It would take longer, he knew, for someone to travel overland. Especially if they were trying to hide.

“That’s interesting.” Erdani appeared to be thinking. “Well, that settles it. You will need to call out the soldiers. Being neutral, now, is no longer an option.”

“What?”

“Husband of mine,” she said patiently, “if the princes arrive, they will likely be pursued. We cannot let them cross our frontier and then be butchered by their enemies. That would reflect very poorly of us, and would show the world that we are either faithless or weak. So you will need enough of an army to keep the frontiers safe. And given the desperation, as you have described it, of the rebels, they may even be willing to fight us for a chance at the princes -- assuming, of course, that the princes still live, and can be kept safe in our domains. So we are committed. It would be in the best interests of the kingdom to take these actions.”

His head swam. “Well,” he said, “I suppose you’re right. You have no objection? I mean, your family, that is to say your brother’s folks, they wouldn’t mind?”

Erdani snorted. “Him! He’s looking to the west, he doesn’t care who rules from Beijing. There may have been Yuan princes in Beijing once, but not now, hundreds of years later. He is indifferent, which means support for the status quo, because he doesn’t want the trouble of dealing with an unknown.” She kissed him on the cheek. “And I’m married to you now, which means I share in the fate of Joseon. So I think you should stay in the emperor’s good graces and, if the chance arises, keep the princes safe.”

“I suppose you’re right.” He lapsed into silence. “You know,” Hyojong said with a sigh, “sometimes I almost wish my father was still alive.”

“Hm?”

“Then this would be his problem. I mean, I know we had our arguments,” the king rubbed his face, “but the way he died...none of that made any sense! Would he try to poison me? Or was it one of his friends? And then he died too. So maybe it was all just a horrible accident, or a rare sickness. Something like that. I just...I don’t know. I don’t know what to think, sometimes.”

Erdani had gone very still. “Your father,” she said gently, “was not a bad king, but he was, hmm, easily controlled? I recall hearing that he got the throne because some men at court ousted his predecessor and elevated him. Maybe the court factions, they got impatient and wanted you in charge instead? That would explain everything, I think. They want to use you,” she hissed, “as a puppet.”

Hyojong smacked a fist into his palm. “That’s it. I do believe you have it. Well, my darling wife,” he said, “I’ll be doing just what you said. And once I’m done, I’m taking a thorough look at the powerful men in my own kingdom. Can’t have them doing the same thing they did to my father, can I?”

Erdani smiled at him, seeming almost relieved. “Of course, my husband. Now, if you are ready again...”

They didn’t discuss politics the rest of that night. They had better things to do.

No murderous daughters in law here, no sir, just sexy politicking, have I mentioned how your father probably was murdered by someone else? If he was murdered. And he might not have been. But it would have been someone else who killed him to use you as a puppet, and it's a good thing they failed!

he teasingly pinched her bottom.

swatting at his hand

Erdani smiled at him, seeming almost relieved. “Of course, my husband. Now, if you are ready again...”

They didn’t discuss politics the rest of that night. They had better things to do.
Absolutely loveable! You have indeed captured the atmosphere and balanced greatly between romance and carnality.
Him! He’s looking to the west, he doesn’t care who rules from Beijing.
I really want to see how a westward northern Yuan is affecting the Kazakh-Dzungar wars. Hopefully Kazakhs can catch a break here.

And Erdani is a shrewd one, she just put the blame of the previous King's death on the nobles. This calls for CENTRALISATION!

No murderous daughters in law here, no sir, just sexy politicking, have I mentioned how your father probably was murdered by someone else? If he was murdered. And he might not have been. But it would have been someone else who killed him to use you as a puppet, and it's a good thing they failed!
Ah, dancing around the issues.
Absolutely loveable! You have indeed captured the atmosphere and balanced greatly between romance and carnality.

I really want to see how a westward northern Yuan is affecting the Kazakh-Dzungar wars. Hopefully Kazakhs can catch a break here.

And Erdani is a shrewd one, she just put the blame of the previous King's death on the nobles. This calls for CENTRALISATION!
I have no official position on who, exactly, poisoned Injo of Joseon and/or his son. Hyojong is maybe a little less certain than he used to be. Still, whatever he decides is the truth will likely be in his own best interests. Hopefully.

I am curious if the effects of the Great divergence could be reduced, so that China could modernize faster.
Y'know, I'm thinking about this and to some extent I think it could be averted slightly. Not sure about larger trends, but considering China's got a mostly maritime client state (Dongshan, i.e. OTL Taiwan) willing and able to go toe-to-toe with European colonial powers, I think we're on our way there. (And the Zheng family fleet isn't fighting against the government, so they can put more of their energies on outward expansion of their military and economic influence.) Although the recent civil war is diverting their attention a little.

I want to return, soon after this, to Dongshan (and our Magistrate Di -- although he's almost certainly been promoted by now!) -- my output has slowed in the last month due to external factors. (I don't mean to disparage my productivity -- this TL has exceeded sixty-four thousand words in length -- but I can do better!) I figure that after the civil war wraps up, we'll head back down to Dongshan to see what's going on. But not before wrapping up some threads in China proper; I have ideas for the Northern Yuan, too.

We'll see!

Pictured: a conversation that could plausibly be happening right now.

VdDuhT9.jpg

Happy New Year to everyone! I promise I know what I'm doing with this timeline, but stuff coming up in my personal life has delayed things. We'll see if we can match the productivity of the very beginning -- fingers crossed!

Happy New Year! Thanks for an entertaining TL (it’s always a delight to see early modern East Asia / world history) and look forward to the update,

A Storm Over China [Chapter 6]
Qianjiang County

Daišan of the Aisin Gioro grumbled as he was helped into his robes. He felt sluggish, irritable. The unseasonable cold did not help. He’d bounced around various administrative positions in the previous years, and even when he held no official responsibilities people wanted to hear what he had to say. It was stupid. All he wanted to do was...what? Honestly, he didn’t quite know. Maybe just be left in peace for once. Then he could finish writing up his family chronicles. Wouldn’t do to have his clan’s history be forgotten; there were not many of his father’s blood still alive. Although so far he hadn’t gotten much written down; he kept revising the manuscript, writing and rewriting an account of his time fighting the Yellow Tiger.

Back then, he thought to himself, I was alive. And he was. Leading an army against the greatest peasant rebel of all time, a bandit-warlord of legendary cunning! Well, truth be told, there was his Plain Red Banner but there were also the Chinese lads that Hong Chengchou had commanded, brothers-in-arms as they’d forged something new together. That old codger was living quietly at one of his country estates these days.

When he had a sword in his hand and the taste of battle in his mouth, those were good times.

Ah well. Life is funny like that. Now he wrote things and he listened to idiots. He wondered how any bureaucrat could stay sane. Shouting at the most foolish idiots seemed to help. Nowadays they only came to him for really important things.

He did not eat much in the mornings, but accepted a cup of tea from his housekeeper. That put some warmth back into his body. His housekeeper returned once he was done. “You have a visitor,” Yin Xinzang said.[1] Madam Yin was nice enough. Literate, at least. Someone who could give coherent feedback on his literary endeavors.

“Just what I needed today,” Daišan grumbled. Another person with a petty problem who would ramble at him for too long. Hopefully the petitioner was an educated fellow. He had trouble enough with the local peasants, whose speech was radically different from that of the northern dialects which his own people had grown accustomed to using in diplomacy and trade.

Funnily enough, though, enough of his men had married local girls and settled down that the languages seemed to be fusing, almost. In parts of the Sichuan area that had been most devastated by the Yellow Tiger’s rampaging, he’d found land for his men to farm, and now there were patchwork areas where it seemed like three languages were spoken at once.[2]

Anyways, might as well deal with this visitor. Then maybe he’d go back to bed. Nobody could tell him not to, although Madam Yin might call him a silly man and ask to read more of his writings.

I’m getting too old for this.

But he trudged to the room that he used as a sort of office, where he sometimes received visitors.

The visitor was already there when he arrived, and he glared at the man. The visitor prostrated himself upon the floor. “Oh, honorable sir,” he said, rambling through a series of titles that Daišan half-remembered receiving, “I bring to you messages from the true emperor for assistance against the usurper in Beijing.”

Daišan stumped over to the couch reserved for him -- he needed a great many cushions these days to be comfortable -- and sat down. He cleared his throat. “And this emperor of yours, he is...?”

“You would recognize him if you met him, honorable sir! He was the man who, when he still held the title Prince of Dechang, accompanied you to this place, and now he requires your loyalty and assistance.”

Right. There had been a prince of some sort detailed to his army. The young fellow had traveled with the Plain Red Banner until it had arrived and he had met Hong Chengchou for the first time. The news coming out of the north came into greater mental focus. A prince who thought himself more than a prince. A cousin of the emperor, hadn’t he been?

He asked that question bluntly, and the visitor winced. “Honorable sir,” he said, and then began to explain how the previous emperor -- no, the one before that -- had always intended one son to rule, but another had become emperor instead, and that man’s son now sat the throne in Beijing, and the true emperor’s son was the one now looking to take rightful place.

It was all a bit confusing. Among his own people, Daišan knew, the wishes of the ruler would have sufficed. After all, he himself had been passed over for leadership in favor of a younger son, hadn’t he? But, as fate would have it, at this point he was perhaps the most senior of the Aisin Gioro still alive. The world turned in mysterious ways.

“Alright,” he said, although he really didn’t catch all the details. “And what would you have me do?”

The visitor gestured toward a wooden chest that he’d evidently hauled with him. “Payment from his imperial majesty. Shall I?” He opened it. Inside was a tremendous quantity of silver.

Daišan grunted. “Payment for fighting.”

“I would not think of it like that,” the visitor said. “Think of it as the means to raise an army. Think of it as a down payment on what is owed to the loyal subordinates of the true emperor, the rightful emperor-”

“Does that fellow have a name yet?” Obviously the prince still had his old name. But Daišan remembered that emperors liked to have several names. Most importantly, the name of the new era, just as “Tianqi” was the current one.

The visitor winced a bit. “Our emperor,” he explained, “is a little bit indecisive, and has not yet communicated his final wishes for what will be the name of this new era, considering that his father’s reign was never realized, and wishing to avoid any conflicts with names chosen in accordance with improper-”

“Never mind, explain to me later,” Daišan interrupted. Some men could ramble out more words than there were birds beneath the watchful eyes of the Sky Father. He wasn’t really interested. “Your fellow, the guy who used to be prince of...wherever,” he said, “how many men does he have under arms?”

The visitor hesitated. Unfortunately for him, he was an honest man. He told Daišan the correct numbers. They were not impressive.

So it was a mutiny in the northern army. Well, numbers didn’t mean everything, but it wasn't the largest part of that army, looks like. And more men are expected to join the cause? But from where? Oh, I see. I’m to be that man. Or one of them, at least.

He glanced over at the silver. A man could raise quite an army with that. His boys who had settled down, maybe they’d be convinced to return to arms. Or maybe their sons; he had been keeping an eye on them, hoping for bright young officers. Most of ‘em had Han officers. But then, some of his bannermen had been assigned Han soldiers. Hmm. He wouldn’t need that much silver to get his most loyal men onboard, but after that...

“I think,” he said indistinctly, “that your proposition has some meritorious elements.” He leaned forward, his face resting on his chin. “And I think...”

His voice trailed off. He mumbled something.

“Beg pardon, sir, what was that?” The visitor perked up, but when Daišan mumbled again a look of impatience crossed the man’s face. “Excuse me, sir, I cannot understand you,” he said, stepping closer, “what did you-”

He gasped as the blade slid into his chest.

“Sorry about that.” Daišan withdrew his knife almost delicately, wiping it clean on a piece of cloth. “I can’t be expected to lunge at people, with my age. Needed to get you a bit closer.” The visitor was staggering, in shock. Well, he wouldn’t be going anywhere.

“I remember your prince,” Daišan said quietly. “Not a bad man, I’m sure. But I also remember the emperor -- the real emperor -- who gave me a home. Gave me purpose. If not for him, I’d have spent my days waiting for some ambitious cousin to murder me. I would've been an afterthought. But now?” He spread his arms wide. “I will be remembered. My family will survive, through me, in the chronicles that are to be written. What kind of a fool would I be, to maul my benefactor like a mad dog?”

People who’d been stabbed took an awfully long time to die. Ah well. Daišan watched impassively. After the final death throes were over, he reached over to ring a small bell.

Yin Xinzang re-entered. If Madam Yin had any opinion about the dead man on the floor, she didn’t show it. “Yes?”

“If you would be so kind as to have one of the servants dispose of...this,” he said, “I would be grateful. Oh, and will you help me over to my writing-desk? I have a few things I need to write.”

Orders to his subordinates, to former officers now retired and bright young men who’d grown into their own. Even the ones who’d settled down would answer him, he knew. And the younger men would want the chance to win their own glory.

He’d pay a visit to Hong Chengchou in person, though. The two of them together, at the head of an army, it’d be just like old times.

Daišan grinned. The irony of it all was not lost on him. How many times had a Jurchen host ridden north to Beijing?

Footnotes
[1] Yīn Xīngzāng (殷星牂), fictional character. Like most fictional characters in this narrative, name is based on that of a dear friend.
[2] Referring, of course, to the Jurchen language -- which will likely survive better in Sichuan than under Joseon / Northern Yuan domination -- mixed with various northern Chinese dialects and with the local Sichuanese dialects. Essentially, three different languages.

Last edited:
“Yes let’s asked the Manchu banner for support surely they will betrayed the emperor”

Ngl the coup leaders are absolute brainlets. Than again ming dynasty policy of making sure imperial princes don’t get anywhere near political/ military positions probably have smth to do with it.

Arise now, arise, riders of Daisin and Hong! Ride to Beijing!

I hadn’t expected them to reappear after the defeat of the Yellow Tiger. Interested in where this situation will go next.

Glad seeing this back!
Thank you! We are so fucking back, as the youths say.

YES YES YES! we ridin North
amazing chapter, man
That was deeply satisfying.
Arise now, arise, riders of Daisin and Hong! Ride to Beijing!

I hadn’t expected them to reappear after the defeat of the Yellow Tiger. Interested in where this situation will go next.
Thank you kindly! I admit, I had the thought of those guys in my head for awhile...needed an excuse to bring them back. And I got it.

“Yes let’s asked the Manchu banner for support surely they will betrayed the emperor”

Ngl the coup leaders are absolute brainlets. Than again ming dynasty policy of making sure imperial princes don’t get anywhere near political/ military positions probably have smth to do with it.
Heh. To be fair to Zhu Yousong, Prince of Fu (formerly the Prince of Dechang), this was one potential supporter whom he'd actually met in person, and thus was someone he could imagine throwing in with him. Unfortunately, our rebellious prince is not a fellow who's particularly familiar with how politics works -- even the emperor, eccentric though he may be, has decades of experience and trustworthy ministers. The rebellion's trying to cobble together the best team it can find, but that's got its limits.

I wonder what other notable OTL Ming princes like Zhu Youlang, Zhu Yujian (the Longwu emperor), and Zhu Shugui are doing and what they think about the Prince of Dechang (IOTL's Hongguang emperor) rebellion

The heavens smile on the rebellion and its chances of success. Even the slightest duration, a milisecond of time in the lands ruled by the Son of Heaven, improves the chances that this righteous rebellion succeed in its task of restoring the balance in the Heavenly Kingdom. The wisdom of its leaders shall only be rewarded again and again with auspicious signs. Surely.

Last edited:
I wonder what other notable OTL Ming princes like Zhu Youlang, Zhu Yujian (the Longwu emperor), and Zhu Shugui are doing and what they think about the Prince of Dechang (IOTL's Hongguang emperor) rebellion
Good point -- they're still alive ITTL.

The heavens smile on the rebellion and its chances of success. Even the slightest duration, a milisecond of time in the lands ruled by the Son of Heaven, improves the chances that this righteous rebellion succeed in its task of restoring the balance in the Heavenly Kingdom. The wisdom of its leaders shall only be rewarded again and again with auspicious signs. Surely.
Surely.

Daisan really is the emperor's dog eh? Assimilating works in mysterious ways throughout history.
Careful! He's still got a knife!