Reds! Official Fanfiction Thread (Part Two)

I think the enjoyment of UASR ISOT is proportional to the amount of karmic retribution that can be sought from the UASR destroying evil, corrupt nations.

In that case....

The UASR ISOTed to the world of In the Presence of Mine Enemies.

The UASR ISOTed to Code Geass.

The UASR ISOTed to Warhammer.

I think the enjoyment of UASR ISOT is proportional to the amount of karmic retribution that can be sought from the UASR destroying evil, corrupt nations.

In that case....

The UASR ISOTed to the world of In the Presence of Mine Enemies.

The UASR ISOTed to Code Geass.

The UASR ISOTed to Warhammer.

We can also invert it, Rumsfeldia USA or Decades of Darkness USA, ISOTed to the Reds! TL, imagine the world's shock to see the UASR replaced with a failing capitalist state, run by an ideological madman of Stalin's caliber or a USA that still has legalized slavery.

We can also invert it, Rumsfeldia USA or Decades of Darkness USA, ISOTed to the Reds! TL, imagine the world's shock to see the UASR replaced with a failing capitalist state, run by an ideological madman of Stalin's caliber or a USA that still has legalized slavery.

Then the good ol' USSR (which is also a free nation) and the Latin American confederation can take the place of their beloved ally as leaders of the Red world.

I'd like to imagine the reaction of the Decades of Darkness USA, or ITTL Rumsfeld to seeing a Latin America that is not only Red, but has the power to stand up to him.

Then the good ol' USSR (which is also a free nation) and the Latin American confederation can take the place of their beloved ally as leaders of the Red world.

I'd like to imagine the reaction of the Decades of Darkness USA, or ITTL Rumsfeld to seeing a Latin America that is not only Red, but has the power to stand up to him.

Rumsfeld would probably have a stroke seeing the US surrounded on all sides by communism (assuming Canada's Red Turn happened sometime before the 80s) with Cuba of all nations being capitalist. For added dose of hilarity we can have the Rumsfeldia USA ISOTed on July 4th, 1987, the day he invaded Cuba.

Rumsfeld would probably have a stroke seeing the US surrounded on all sides by communism (assuming Canada's Red Turn happened sometime before the 80s) with Cuba of all nations being capitalist. For added dose of hilarity we can have the Rumsfeldia USA ISOTed on July 4th, 1987, the day he invaded Cuba.

Western Europe is still blue, and a lot more relevant than in his TL since it kept most of the empires. The Reds! comintern without the UASR is kinda fucked.

Western Europe is still blue, and a lot more relevant than in his TL since it kept most of the empires. The Reds! comintern without the UASR is kinda fucked.

Not really. The USSR, China, Spanish America, and Japan are quite a bloc. Better than the historical Comintern for sure.

Not really. The USSR, China, Spanish America, and Japan are quite a bloc. Better than the historical Comintern for sure.

We had this discussion on the discord. The FBU had a lot more time to prepare and a lot more investment in their empires, which they kept. The cold war is still going on in Reds!, so they were close to parity with the UASR. With the US on the other side, things look grim.

Yeah the FBU worked with the Comintern against the first fascist menace. Why not this one?

Because he's a lot less of a threat to their interests. Also, the Nazis were losing.

Remember they worked with MacArthur, if reluctantly. And they still work with west Germany which seem to be full of ex-Nazi running things. Plus all the shitty dictatorships they probably backed during the alt-cold war.

We had this discussion on the discord. The FBU had a lot more time to prepare and a lot more investment in their empires, which they kept. The cold war is still going on in Reds!, so they were close to parity with the UASR. With the US on the other side, things look grim.

They got nukes to keep any monsters at bay.

Because he's a lot less of a threat to their interests. Also, the Nazis were losing.

Remember they worked with MacArthur, if reluctantly. And they still work with west Germany which seem to be full of ex-Nazi running things. Plus all the shitty dictatorships they probably backed during the alt-cold war.

Yes, but MacArthur didn't destroy his military capabilities out of an obsession with capitalism.

Yes, but MacArthur didn't destroy his military capabilities out of an obsession with capitalism.

Nah, he destroyed his first country instead.

It's true that the FBU would be a bit jarred by the overly ideological implementation of capitalism since they tend to be a lot more pragmatic about it. They know they can't afford major crises and keep a closer lid on the economy. But they would definitely still take that over the comintern every day.

They got nukes to keep any monsters at bay.

Russia does, yes. China may. There may be some left over in Canada. Maybe. Their North American holdings are kinda isolated though.

Nah, he destroyed his first country instead.

It's true that the FBU would be a bit jarred by the overly ideological implementation of capitalism since they tend to be a lot more pragmatic about it. They know they can't afford major crises and keep a closer lid on the economy. But they would definitely still take that over the comintern every day.

Maybe, but as long as Rumsfeldia remains an impoverished kleptocracy, Western Europe is going to be very reluctant to invest in him, and I doubt Rummy is willing to compromise his ideology take their money.

Of course, the CV, who are on the cusp of gaining power, might be another matter. I think Western Europe might foolishly give them cash, only for CV America to become the tail that wags the dog.

Russia does, yes. China may. There may be some left over in Canada. Maybe. Their North American holdings are kinda isolated though.

I bet Rumsfeldia and the CV might see the newly Red Latin America as a means of rallying the population around them. While CBS would be able to portray Red Latin America and Canada as pretty nice places to live, Hughes and the CV would go overboard on attacking the "Commie Mexicans."

The cold war is still going on in Reds!, so they were close to parity with the UASR. With the US on the other side, things look grim.

I wouldn't say they were close to parity any more than China is close to parity with NATO and Japan OTL. Definitely too powerful to collapse or invade, but it has significantly less than half the GDP of NATO and Japan. Way better ratio than the Comintern vs NATO and friends, but not close to parity. The UASR and the USSR together probably have a better economy than capitalist Europe and India together, and I wouldn't be surprised if Japan and Korea by themselves beat all of capitalist Africa. Also China is developed and less neutral than India was OTL, and very much leans Comintern, even if they are ostensibly neutral.

Also Rumsfeldia has a very bad economy. Latin America should be able to match it, considering their near-complete integration together by 2018.

Maybe, but as long as Rumsfeldia remains an impoverished kleptocracy, Western Europe is going to be very reluctant to invest in him, and I doubt Rummy is willing to compromise his ideology take their money.

Look at what the US invested in OTL, as long as they bashed the reds. The AFS will jump on the occasion.

I wouldn't say they were close to parity any more than China is close to parity with NATO and Japan OTL. Definitely too powerful to collapse or invade, but it has significantly less than half the GDP of NATO and Japan. Way better ratio than the Comintern vs NATO and friends, but not close to parity. The UASR and the USSR together probably have a better economy than capitalist Europe and India together, and I wouldn't be surprised if Japan and Korea by themselves beat all of capitalist Africa. Also China is developed and less neutral than India was OTL, and very much leans Comintern, even if they are ostensibly neutral.

Again, we already had that discussion on the discord and people made very good arguments in favour of the AFS being less of a joke than you think. Mostly because the AFS has a lot of untapped resources, and a much more developed empire ready to tap them. Swapping out the Comintern's industrial, military and economic powerhouse probably tips things the other way drastically.

Again, we already had that discussion on the discord and people made very good arguments in favour of the AFS being less of a joke than you think. Mostly because the AFS has a lot of untapped resources, and a much more developed empire ready to tap them. Swapping out the Comintern's industrial, military and economic powerhouse probably tips things the other way drastically.

I'm not on the discord. I'm unconvinced by arguments that I haven't seen. And if those resources are untapped, then why are they untapped and how are they useful to the AFS untapped? Is the Comintern in general poorer than the AFS? Because the AFS in 2018 only has a marginal population advantage. If America is ISOTed, the AFS would have a significant population advantage, but nothing like the over 2:1 advantage the capitalist powers had over the Warsaw Pact and allies. The Warsaw Pact was both smaller and poorer than the capitalists. The Comintern of Reds! even without America, is far far larger than that of OTL. The Soviet Union looks like it has a GDP per capita around that of the FBU and has a population to rival all of western Europe. The main reason the Comintern would be hurt by the loss of America is the disruption of supply lines for the production of goods. Which would cause a severe recession, but it wouldn't be 1990 OTL.

The Serious Origins of The Borodino Mud Festival (By Bookmark1995)
After a period of writer's block, I am ready to provide another contribution. One more cultural.

Sovietlife.UASR

The Serious Origins of The Borodino Mud Festival

October 2, 2008

Festivals usually have a certain theme, but one festival in a suburb of Moscow revolves around one thing: mud

Here, in this village a short distance from the Soviet capital every October 2 to October 10, tens of thousands of Soviet and American teenagers enjoy vodka, concession stands, concerts, and of course, playing in the mud.

The climate around this time of year, between the warm summers and harsh winters, leads to a lot of mud on the ground, known as "rasputitsa". Thousands of teenagers brave the icy cold of the region, remove their garments, and start diving into the mud. Tug of rope and other games are played in this unusually enjoyable gunk.

Of course, the piece the resistance of the Mud Festival is a wrestling contest, where two opponents battle to see who can keep the other pinned in the slimy goo.

"Vodka and wrestling," says one Soviet teenager with a smile, "the two things we are best known for."

It is common for the Soviets and Americans to divide themselves into separate teams. During one mud wrestling match, I witness massive cheering from the American side, and massive boos from the Soviet side, as Joan, a teenager from Albany, defeats Olga, a teenager from Kiev.

Serious Origins

One would expect such a wild holiday wouldn't have such a serious historical background. But its origins lie in the most serious war in recent history: the war against the fascist menace.

"Borodino, due its location near Moscow, has played a strong role in Russian military history," says Mikhail Sasanov, a local history teacher.

The first time Borodino played a role was in the Battle of Borodino, when Napoleon's forces faced off against Russian forces. It became the prime example of a pyrrhic victory, as Napoleon's forces, decimated by this conflicted, and weakened by starvation, were forced to retreat from Moscow within a month.

Borodino would be put back into the spotlight, for the even more brutal battle between fascism and liberation, as the Axis and Comintern forces battle to defend the Soviet capital from destruction.

While the battle was one through blood, sweat, and guns, it was partly secured by the mud beneath our feet.

"Rasputitsa greatly slowed the Nazi advance," says Sasanov, "as the Nazi military gear was not designed to move through the thick mud."

Through the remainder of the war, as the Nazis were gradually push back into Central Europe, Borodino mud wrestling became a popular form of recreation for Soviet and American soldiers.

"The grim conflict pushed many comrades into war to relieve the agonies of war," says Sasanov.

In the 1950s, as Soviet-American reunions became popular throughout Comintern, the celebration of Soviet victory, along with the mud that helped secure Soviet victory, led to American and Soviet comrades celebrating the first of the Borodino Mud Festivals in 1958.

Decades later, as Soviet and American veterans aged, the memory of that conflict has faded in Borodino, and as been replaced almost entirely with insane parties and mud wrestling.

That's straight out of the Weird Country.

I'd expect the Soviets to be too straitlaced to allow that kind of entertainment on their grounds at a large scale, let alone accept it as the appropriate way to honor the memory of the WW2. Besides, it plays up to the stereotype of the Soviet Russia as a backward country with muddy, impassable roads - something the USSR would seek to discourage. And finally, there are hints of the UASR-Soviet split down the line - I suppose, it would claim mud festivals among its first victims without a chance for them to really catch on.

That's straight out of the Weird Country.

I'd expect the Soviets to be too straitlaced to allow that kind of entertainment on their grounds at a large scale, let alone accept it as the appropriate way to honor the memory of the WW2. Besides, it plays up to the stereotype of the Soviet Russia as a backward country with muddy, impassable roads - something the USSR would seek to discourage. And finally, there are hints of the UASR-Soviet split down the line - I suppose, it would claim mud festivals among its first victims without a chance for them to really catch on.

I take it you have not seen the movie Man with a Moving Camera aka Man with a Movie Camera? It's a very avante garde arty film made in the late 1920s in the late NEP period, and scenes of naked people in the mud of some Crimean beach or riverside resort are included, along with a very explicit shot of a woman giving birth.

No, Stalin did not like it, nor the higher Bolsheviks in charge of culture in the '20s. But it was allowed to be filmed!