Hmm, not quite. Anne's no where near as hated as Alice was; she's got a good propagandist in Frances. It's a lot more, "Dear selfless Anne, attending to the King's needs (and making sure he agrees with Frances)" then "grasping opportunistic witch."
That bit in brackets being important, I assume? ;)

That bit in brackets being important, I assume? ;)

It's part of that Nebulous Years thing. Francis I is still King, but everything pretty much goes Frances's way. She's got her first [1] Court of Women with the main players being herself, Anne, and Margaret (OTL de Parma).

[2] First in that she's has a second during her son's reign.

In which I take a week off and California is on fire

No need to worry, I'm not close enough to the fires to need to be evacuated but some people who were evacuated may be staying with my family. But there won't be an update today.

In which I take a week off and California is on fire

No need to worry, I'm not close enough to the fires to need to be evacuated but some people who were evacuated may be staying with my family. But there won't be an update today.

Genuinely insane to see the haze just settling over LA right now.

Chapter 25 - In which some people can't handle having a powerful wife
“Early in 1543, Prince Henry of Wales and Prince Edward of York were sent to their respective domains, accompanied by companions, teachers, and various relations. Princess Elizabeth would also leave the Hatfield, moving to Court where she would learn from her mother how to be a Queen.

Prince Henry would be accompanied by his uncle George Boleyn and a whole slew of companions. Prince Edward would be joined in York by his half-sister, the Lady Mary.”
The Tudor Rose Garden by Gerald Wells​

“It is in York that we see the marriage of Lady Mary and Henry Howard begin to crack. It appears that Howard viewed the appointment as his appointment. This view was shattered when upon arrival, Howard discovered all had been ordered by Henry VIII to obey the Lady Mary.

Initially, Howard appears to have attempted to gain some level of influence in the Prince’s household but was then rebuked by Henry VIII.”
York and the Lady Mary by Martin Boyd​

“It was shortly after the birth of Mathias Howard, that his father Henry Howard would depart Prince Edward’s lands in York. Mary and Henry would never again live as husband and wife.”
16th Century Europe: Everything That Happened by Irene Carter​

“We have no records of Henry Howard, Earl of Surrey attempting to gain custody of his two children with the Lady Mary. Perhaps he did and those records were just lost to time, but more likely he knew that King Henry would side with his daughter and so simply never tried.

So, the Lady Mary would have total custody of her two children: Mary and Mathias.”
The Tudors: A Real Life Soup Opera​

Last edited:
Where does Henry Howard end up? Presumably he never attempts to remarry or see his children?

How do Mary's kids look to as a father figure?

Oof, that can’t be easy on Mary. She gets rejected herself after seeing her father reject her mother. At least she’s in the King’s good graces! And I assume nobody is going to be chopping off Surrey’s head ITTL.

Last edited:
Where does Henry Howard end up? Presumably he never attempts to remarry or see his children?

Since they're not divorced he never remarries. He probably has a mistress or two, but nothing ever really gets back to Mary. Every once and a while he'll visit, but never stays long. Mostly he just mopes around writing poetry.... lots of poetry that is nowadays very popular with the emo crowd.

Oof, that can’t be easy on Mary. She gets rejected herself after seeing her father reject her mother. At least she’s in the King’s good graces!

Yeah, she takes it pretty tough at first, but most of the time is to busy to really dwell on it.

I'm kind of drawing a blank on something: What appointment is it that Mary was given that her husband thought was to be his own?
Something like head of the prince’s household or governess

It’s not really official, so Henry Howard can be forgiven for being confused, but Mary was sent to help Prince Edward with his duties as Duke of York. Since he is still a kid he needs a little oversight.

Temporary Hiatus
So, due to a collection of family, work, and community events I have been unable for to post for the last few weeks. Additionally, I sort have lost the thread on this timeline. So, I’ll be taking a break; hopefully only a couple of months but if I get distracted it might be longer.

So, due to a collection of family, work, and community events I have been unable for to post for the last few weeks. Additionally, I sort have lost the thread on this timeline. So, I’ll be taking a break; hopefully only a couple of months but if I get distracted it might be longer.

Hope to read your new stuff as soon as your ready.

Have just reread this all the way through and fallen in love all over again! I know the last few months have been crazy for all of us, but I'd love to see you pick this up again if you felt so inclined. :)

Have just reread this all the way through and fallen in love all over again! I know the last few months have been crazy for all of us, but I'd love to see you pick this up again if you felt so inclined. :)
I hope to. I’m planning on finishing the last couple epilogues of Prince Henry first. After that it’s either this one or a new timeline I’ve been outlining. Depends on how inspiration strikes.

I hope to. I’m planning on finishing the last couple epilogues of Prince Henry first. After that it’s either this one or a new timeline I’ve been outlining. Depends on how inspiration strikes.
Oooh. That sounds interesting. Shoot me a line if you'd like to brainstorm 🙂

I am curious about that new timeline. Still I am sure who reading anything of yours will be a pleasure