Well, crap. Charles' plans for Italy will probably be delayed since he needed Margaret to accomplish them. But I'm pretty sure he still has an extra bastard girl hiding somewhere, so not all is lost. Which of course doesn't mean he won't still be seriously pissed off.

Well, crap. Charles' plans for Italy will probably be delayed since he needed Margaret to accomplish them. But I'm pretty sure he still has an extra bastard girl hiding somewhere, so not all is lost. Which of course doesn't mean he won't still be seriously pissed off.
Well, Charles OTL had four recognized illegitimate children, all from different mothers (Margaret, born 1522, Joanna (1522-1530) and Tadea, born 1523 and John, born 1547) plus likely another daughter of which he can not call paternity (Germaine of Foix’s illegitimate daughter Isabel, born in 1518 and apparently dead in 1537) so I guess who with Joanna already dead (before the POD) and Isabel both a little too old (she was born in 1518 and Farnese only in late 1524) and unlikely to be officially acknowledged as more than a distant relative of Charles (Germaine was Charles‘ second (half-) cousin other than his step-grandmother as they were both great grandchildren of John II of Aragon by his two wives) I guess Ottavio Farnese will marry Tadea...
Still Charles while being really irritated will be likely celebrating as is unlikely he ever dreamed in his most unrealistic dreams to marry his illegiti daughter to one of Francis‘ legitimate sons...

Last edited:
I guess Ottavio Farnese will marry Tadea...

Though Tadea's marriage value has now gone up since her sister is married to a French prince.

Still Charles while being really irritated will be likely celebrating as is unlikely he ever dreamed in his most unrealistic dreams to marry his illegitimate daughter to one of Francis‘ legitimate sons...

Yep, Charles can't decide if he's more delighted at Francis's consternation, frustrated with the change to his plans, or worried that elopements are catching. I mean in the past decade its been the English King, and three French princes.

Well, Charles OTL had four recognized illegitimate children, all from different mothers (Margaret, born 1522, Joanna (1522-1530) and Tadea, born 1523 and John, born 1547) plus likely another daughter of which he can not call paternity (Germaine of Foix’s illegitimate daughter Isabel, born in 1518 and apparently dead in 1537) so I guess who with Joanna already dead (before the POD) and Isabel both a little too old (she was born in 1518 and Farnese only in late 1524) and unlikely to be officially acknowledged as more than a distant relative of Charles (Germaine was Charles‘ second (half-) cousin other than his step-grandmother as they were both great grandchildren of John II of Aragon by his two wives) I guess Ottavio Farnese will marry Tadea...
Yes, I meant Tadea. Thanks, I couldn't seem to remember her name. So I'm guessing it will be Tadea to Ottavio Farnese and Isabel to a more age-appropriate duke? That is if they don't decide to disobey their father and elope as well, like their sister.

Though Tadea's marriage value has now gone up since her sister is married to a French prince.
Absolufelt not. She is still an illegitimate daughter, barely recognized by her father (unlike Margaret, who has also a different mother)

Yes, I meant Tadea. Thanks, I couldn't seem to remember her name. So I'm guessing it will be Tadea to Ottavio Farnese and Isabel to a more age-appropriate duke? That is if they don't decide to disobey their father and elope as well, like their sister.
Well, I do not believe who Tadea, barely recognized by her father, who has now the big opportunity of her life (thanks to Margaret’s elopement) or Isabel (who can be already dead and surely can not be officially recognized by her father) will give any trouble to Charles...
(by the way I believe who poor Francis would have found much easier reconciling with Charles‘ elopement with one of Karl’s illegitimate daughter if said daughter was Isabel and not Margaret)

Last edited:
Well, I do not believe who Tadea, barely recognized by her father, who has now the big opportunity of her life (thanks to Margaret’s elopement) or Isabel (who can be already dead and surely can not be officially recognized by her father) will give any trouble to Charles...
(by the way I believe who poor Francis would have found much easier reconciling with Charles‘ elopement with one of Karl’s illegitimate daughter if said daughter was Isabel and not Margaret)
That's probably right, though according to Spanish wikipedia Tadea did marry without Charles' knowledge or permission in OTL, but that can be easily avoided. As to Isabel, she was mentioned in Germaine of Foix's testament in October 1536, she is thought to have died around 1565.

That's probably right, though according to Spanish wikipedia Tadea did marry without Charles' knowledge or permission in OTL, but that can be easily avoided. As to Isabel, she was mentioned in Germaine of Foix's testament in October 1536, she is thought to have died around 1565.
Well about Isabel‘s fate we know only who her last mention make us think she was alive in 1537, then she dissaperead completely from our radars and Tadea was married off by her maternal relatives and is likely who she would have married much better without that

Last edited:
Chapter 22 - In which England is the land of romance and love
“It is said that you speak of food in Italian, law in French, of God in Spanish, money in German, and romance in English. England is the number one destination for honeymooners. And in the mid to late 16thCentury, the English Court offered asylum to several royal and noble eloping couples.

But, how did this all get started?”
England and the Romantic Age by Peter Quentin​

“Prince Charles de Valois and his new bride Margaret arrived in England half way through 1537. While initially greeted with surprise, the two found sanctuary as Henry VIII welcomed them into his household.”
16th Century Europe: Everything That Happened by Irene Carter​

“Henry VIII loved the opportunity to needle both Francis I and Charles V by allowing their children to stay in England. He would send missives assuring the two monarchs of his joy in their new connection and his support of Prince Charles and Princess Margaret. [1]

Francis I would respond with something along the lines of, “If you like them so much you can keep them.” And Prince Charles and Princess Margaret would remain in England for the next five years. Their two eldest children would be born in England; a gleeful Henry VIII would be godfather to both.

While Charles V’s response has been lost to time, we do have records of Henry VIII laughing over it and declaring the language ill-fitting of a Christian monarch.”
The Tudors: A Real Life Soup Opera​

[1] It appears that Henry VIII was the first to refer to Margaret by her new title of Princess, as even her husband was leery of challenging his father.

“It is said that you speak of food in Italian, law in French, of God in Spanish, money in German, and romance in English. England is the number one destination for honeymooners. And in the mid to late 16thCentury, the English Court offered asylum to several royal and noble eloping couples.

But, how did this all get started?”
England and the Romantic Age by Peter Quentin​

desiretoknowmoreintensifies.gif

That was really bad from Henry... but Charles’ reaction is pretty OOC... Sure he had not planned other matches instead of this one but he is not a loser here, unlike Francis... In the end he his recognized daughter (demonstrating to be a little rebellious but still a very smart girl), had married much higher than he was able to hope, Charles d’Angouleme is now tied to his family (and he has no obligations to give him anything) and Francis was utterly humiliated by his own son... Ferdinand will not have trouble in finding another better match for his little girl so... Henry is a nuisance but life is still good for the Emperor