I could see her going into Anne's household, actually. To wait on the Queen is an honour, no matter who you are. AND it allows Henry to keep her close should he not completely trust her submission just yet. It is a complete volte-face, after all...
That's a different thing entirely. OTL, Mary was sent there basically as a servant. Appointing her to be Chief Lady-in-Waiting to the Queen is a high honor, a position Duchess and Countesses would fight over. Even Mary would know that...

What that would do do Chapuys, or Katherine of Aragon, I have no idea...

While hoping for reconciliation, I didn't see it coming so soon. I figured Mary would never acknowledge Anne as Queen or herself as a bastard for as long as yet Catherine lived.

It's certainly best for her this way, I predict she will soon acquire Henry's favor once more. With four children, three of whom are sons, he's likely to be feeling more benevolent.

I hope Mary can marry sooner in this TL, have a couple healthy babies and live a long, happy life.

I like it. It doesn't matter the time period, 17 is a difficult age and girls are dealing with a lot of emotions at this time. I can imagine her, without the bitterness buildup that probably triggered some of her mental difficulties later, deciding if she needed to go full tilt towards supporting Henry the 8th.

Hoyahoo9

Donor
We don’t often get to see Mary find peace and reconciliation with her father. It would be nice to have her made a loving, satisfying marriage, supportive but out of the way of her Tudor/Boleyn siblings.

Might Mary keep her own establishment (probably still reduced) here now that Henry and especially Anne feel way more comfortable?

Chapter 3 - In which some Godparents are cooler than other Godparents
“Herbert Linacre, the personal Physician of Henry VIII, kept detailed records regarding the early infancy of the Tudor infants. We know they were small, though on par for multiple births, with Princess Elizabeth being the largest babe. Next in size was Prince Henry, the eldest and newly made Prince of Wales. The youngest two were alike in size and appearance. They would be named Edward and Edmund to emphasize their shared appearance.

All three princes were born with dark hair and Princess Elizabeth would quickly grow a red-gold hair of the same shade as her father.

Due to the size differences there were no early worries of confusing the princes. But as the children grew it became apparent that it was not Prince Edward and Prince Edmund that shared looks, but Prince Henry and Prince Edmund. Prince Edward’s eyes would darken to a deep brown and in time his hair would lighten to a warm brown. Prince Henry and Prince Edmund would retain their baby blue eyes, much the same as their illustrious father.

A great deal of effort would put into discerning the two brothers who grew more and more alike in form. This was challenged by the delight the brothers found in confusing their nurses and tutors.”
The Tudor Rose Garden by Gerald Wells​

“Finding godparents for the Tudor Infants was quite difficult, as only two babies had been planned for. Prince Henry, as the eldest would have the most illustrious godparents with Francis I of France as godfather and Margaret Tudor, Dowager Queen of Scotland as godmother. Princess Elizabeth’s godparents were chosen by Queen Anne: Thomas Cranmer, Archbishop of Canterbury and Elizabeth Boleyn, Countess of Wiltshire. Prince Edward Tudor’s godparents were Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk and Elizabeth Howard, Duchess of Norfolk.

Prince Edmund Tudor, the youngest, had as godparents Henry FitzRoy, Duke of Richmond and Somerset and Margaret Grey, Dowager Marchioness of Dorset. It is the relationship between Prince Edmund and his godfather and half-brother Henry FitzRoy that this book is about.”
FitzRoy by Lawrence Dalton​

“Having the honour of having the youngest Tudor Infant as godson, I was appointed to carry the babe for his christening. Never have I seen a comelier babe. Clever blue eyes and a grip all but read for a sword. In truth I am much charmed by this my royal brother.”
Journal of Henry FitzRoy, entry for 21stof August​

Last edited:
Aw! I love that last bit. Fitzroy is charmed indeed and it's adorable! Dare I hope, given the mention of a relationship between Edmund and Henry, that this TL also has a surviving Henry Fitzroy?

Aw! I love that last bit. Fitzroy is charmed indeed and it's adorable! Dare I hope, given the mention of a relationship between Edmund and Henry, that this TL also has a surviving Henry Fitzroy?
I like the idea of a surviving Henry FitzRoy, I haven't seen that yet...

I've not decided on FitzRoy's lifespan, but it will definitely be longer. He is not married yet, so with butterflies he could marry someone else. Besides Mary Howard who could he marry? Any thoughts?

Frances or Eleanor Brandon? I think they both married in about 1533, so it wouldn't be impossible to handwave their OTL marriages. Although Anne would probably still be pushing for the Mary Howard match, and she's probably ten foot tall and bulletproof right now.
Of course Margaret Douglas isn't married yet, either. She and Hal Fitzroy could be quite an interesting match.

Frances or Eleanor Brandon? I think they both married in about 1533, so it wouldn't be impossible to handwave their OTL marriages. Although Anne would probably still be pushing for the Mary Howard match, and she's probably ten foot tall and bulletproof right now.
Of course Margaret Douglas isn't married yet, either. She and Hal Fitzroy could be quite an interesting match.

So, I see a Frances match if Henry VIII feels he needs to shore up Hal Fitzroy's claim. And Margaret Douglas would be fascinating! (Now I really want a timeline with a surviving FitzRoy who Henry VIII makes King of Ireland and who marries Margaret Douglas) And Mary Howard is a probably happening because right now Anne is bulletproof and she'll be pushing that match.

But, since Henry VIII can't marry Mary outside of England (even if she's behaving someone could still try and hijack her claim) and he's feeling fine and dandy domestically, he's gonna want to try his hand as international diplomacy via marriage. And Henry FitzRoy is his only ploy. So, I'm seeing Henry VIII looking for a international match.

Are there any other royal bastards running around of the appropriate age? Or someone else of the right social status?

Catherine de Medici would be interesting, but only if her match to Henri, Duke of Orleans has been handwaved - I think they married in the spring of 1533. But she could be doable, she's probably about the right sort of status for the King's acknowledged bastard son. Historically, Henry also tried to marry Hal Fitzroy to either Dorothea or Christina of Denmark, but the Hapsburgs shot that right down. Margaret of Parma is perhaps an option - the Emperor's bastard daughter three years younger than Hal.

Catherine de Medici would be interesting, but only if her match to Henri, Duke of Orleans has been handwaved - I think they married in the spring of 1533. But she could be doable, she's probably about the right sort of status for the King's acknowledged bastard son. Historically, Henry also tried to marry Hal Fitzroy to either Dorothea or Christina of Denmark, but the Hapsburgs shot that right down. Margaret of Parma is perhaps an option - the Emperor's bastard daughter three years younger than Hal.

October of 1533 is when Catherine de Medici got married so that could easily be butterflied. Though Margaret of Parma would be very interesting.