Q-Bam Historical Map Thread

Well, essentially I found that there's a set of Provincial tourist maps with major rivers and there are also a set of locator maps with districts and rivers on Wikipedia that take a bit of searching to find, which can be used together to get a clear set of rivers.

Awesome. Not quite what I was hoping for though. I'm still trying to find a way, on a global level, to objectively decide whether a given pixel gets drawn as river or not. At one point I had wanted to do it based on waterflow, but that's typically only measured (or at least, measured and easily available) for major rivers, and typically only measured at the mouth. The only other way would be based on local width, but on most map scales we would use, a river is merely a line, not a area.

Good news everyone, I've found a better way of doing the Chinese Rivers that takes a much shorter time, is consistent across all Provinces and prevent overdetailing.
giphy.gif

Awesome. Not quite what I was hoping for though. I'm still trying to find a way, on a global level, to objectively decide whether a given pixel gets drawn as river or not.
Personally, I don't think an objective rule of thumb is really possible, or even needed. It happened that for some reasons, geographical features were depicted when, frankly, it could have been ignored : particularily strategical islands, marsh/sea limits and their own inner islands, etc.

Long story short : depiction of geographical features in geopolitical maps can really be dependent on legibility and usefulness of the former regarding the latter.

Well, looks like its time to resurrect this again.

Here, have the counties and provinces (paler colour) of Liberia, 1911-1964;

upload_2017-9-30_0-47-38.png

The counties (from west to east), are Grand Cape Mount, Montserado, Grand Bassa, Sinoe, and Maryland; the five traditional counties of Liberia, dating back to the 1840's. The Provinces (inland, less developed), were imaginatively named Western, Central and Eastern.

It should also be noted that several "territories" were also present during this timescale, and though some later went on to become some of Liberia's modern counties (eg, River Cess), at the time they seem to have been very insubstantial entities, subservient to and administered by one of the five existing counties. They are hardly mentioned at all, and I could find no borders for them, so I just left them out.

Obviously, from the late 50's onward, the colonies around Liberia gained independence, (Guinea in 1958, Ivory Coast in 1960, Sierra Leone in 1961), changing the map dynamics, while before 1911, not all of Liberia's borders had been properly defined.

tumblr_nvskt3IMPz1rec5p4o2_500.gif

i am attempting 1648 AD but its a horrible one can't seem to get any thing right i am also moving slow due to school
Dude, I love this work. I was wondering if there was any way you still had it. I love creating maps and I would love to use this as part of a basis for one I'm making. Not for repro, just personal use.

Made it for my timeline and figured someone could use it. The Republic of Independent Guyana [Aka Republic of Counani] established by the French in 1886
kRHOp.png

This is my first time making a QBAM map from complete scratch, but here's my attempt on the main 1835 Kurdish states in Ottoman Turkey (please note that there's several that are disconnected from the group, but I didn't trust myself enough to put those down).
Note that these are likely inaccurate:
mainland kurdish states.png