Q-Bam Historical Map Thread

I was unaware that Sicilia was not under full Roman control before 827 and after Justinian's Gothic Wars.

I really enjoy using Euratlas, however, this is an older map from that sight as opposed to the handy mobile app I use. I also am a great fan of the maps provide on Ian Mjaldov's UMich sight.

Last edited:
@LSCatilina I've always wondered about the Thugur region with the Romans and the Caliphate. I've generally taken Ian Mjaldov's approach in having the border remain the same throughout the period, though I've adjusted the border significantly after reviewing some Armenian 20th Century maps. Ian's maps have the Imperium in control of what would become the Theme of Lykandos before the conquest of that land during the government of Leon IV. The Armenian maps showed a much more conservative border with al-Khalifata.

I was unaware that Sicilia was not under full Roman control before 827 and after Justinian's Gothic Wars.

I really enjoy using Euratlas, however, this is an older map from that sight as opposed to the handy mobile app I use. I also am a great fan of the maps provide on Ian Mjaldov's UMich sight.

I think he meant to say Sardinia instead of Sicily, as Barbaria was a solely Sardinian entity I believe.

Can you point me in the direction of this mobile app? Sounds very useful

@Pressedflowers
For this kind of large military border, without clear political affiliation, I generally elect to do something like this (al-Andalus/Asturias),the stripes being reversed comparatively to co-dominium and with red (de facto/fought over) borders.
Untitled.png

And not changing the border between Byzantium and Arabs? That's an understable choice, to be honest. I wouldn't agree too much because I think it's representable, but it's more a matter of disagreement.

Euratlas...is more interesting as freely avaible sources goes, but isn't that to be trusted when it comes to geopolitical representation with several really weird choices popping up now and then. Nothing outrageous, again, and certainly better than the Website-That-Should-Not-Be-Named, but not to be trusted blindly.
Personally, I rely quite a bit on Autrement's atlases which provides some good cartographic and textual explanations (even if they don't focus on geopolitical mapping).

Ian Mladjov is another interesting source I agree.

Eventually, tough, nothing beats checking informations on history books, because everyone can overlook something, decide to make a choice you wouldn't or simply because nobody can be an expert on everything. For instance Mladjov's map have some representation I don't really think are fit (in the Alexander's map, not putting Armenia as distinct from the rest of surrounding regions, not distinguishing clients and conquest in Asia, etc. nothing really world-shattering of course)

The question on what is to be represented is another interesting debate : personally, I focus on a geopolitical representation, and trying to include primitive forms of state such as sophisticated chiefdoms.

Last edited:
@LSCatilina I usually look at Euratlas and then back that up with some browsing online and through my own library, because of the "snapshot" centinarian view of history through those maps.

Gimme links and pics of these maps you speak of. :^) >:^)

@LSCatilina I usually look at Euratlas and then back that up with some browsing online and through my own library, because of the "snapshot" centinarian view of history through those maps.
Even as a snapshot, I really have some concerns for Antiquity and Late Middle-Ages.
Speaking of which, historyfiles can be a goldmine for Great Britain Antiquity and Late Antiquity. Less so outside, but still I use this site regularily.

Well thanks for the useful sources, I just set about last night making a QBAM map of the Mediterranean World for my timeline, so I’ll definitely try and incorporate these sources and techniques for it.

When is your timeline set? I'd love to use your materials if you'll allow me.

The initial PoD was in 1014, but the upcoming map will likely be a survey of Europe in 1100 once I bang out another written update or two. Not sure if it suits your needs but definitely feel free to use them.

It's essentially modifications from what I did in 2015 at this point, and there are change to be done in Fezzan, Amazonia and probably in south Africa.
View attachment 406764
but why Sylla and Bohai (in Northeast Asia) in the same color? They are different states. and how came that Netherlands had more lands than now? Shouldn't they have less land before built dam and fill up the sea thing?

by the way, coastline in China hadn't been updated. You can use the coastline marked "Tang / Song dynasties" on this map.

Plus, can anyone put the yellow river course on a qbam sized map? Thanks a lot.

Yellow-River-Lower-Reaches-Map.jpg

Last edited:
but why Sylla and Bohai (in Northeast Asia) in the same color?
A coloured outline on different states means different states on a same political/cultural sphere, except when I use it with a filled color which rather means a suzerainity.
As there's no state filled with color in Korea, it's the first situation : Korean states.

and how came that Netherlands had more lands than now? Shouldn't they have less land before built dam and fill up the sea thing?
The coastline really changed a lot, and you have to blame St Lucia flood for a lot of later necessities

by the way, coastline in China hadn't been updated. You can use the coastline marked "Tang / Song dynasties" on this map.
Thanks you, I used this map for others maps but forgot to apply it to this one. I prefer this map to the one I have, it's a better resolution.
For now, I'm rather focused on Amazonian and American chiefdoms, but I'll go back to China eventually.

@LSCatilina your updated map of 814 looks great. But some lakes looks quite different from present day. Tung Ting Lake (in Hunan) and Po Yang (in Jiangxi) lake is much larger, the former larger than Lake Tai. looks like in the map below. (not accurate, but I couldn't find a better one. These two lakes expanse and shrink in the course of centuries.)

75b66f21ly4fmue790v9jj20u00uw41m.jpg

Hongze Lake (on Huai River, in Jiangsu province) was too small to display. Gaoyou Lake (in Jiangsu province too, to the southeast of Hongze Lake) and Southern-Four Lake (the narrow lake on the border between Shandong and Jiangsu) didn't exist at that time. These three lakes did't became this large before 1500.

Last edited:
Hey. Since someone on deviantart requested it, I will be doing the 1942 map. It's a pretty good way to get back into the historical qbams.