The Florida Republican House Minority Leader was named Ron Richmond. His short bio is here: http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sections/Representatives/details.aspx?MemberId=2852.

IOTL, he was Minority Leader in Florida from 1982-1984. Good update, BTW...

BTW, a good source on the drug war in South Florida is the documentary Cocaine Cowboys (as I've mentioned); it includes interviews with the criminals and law enforcement involved...

Good update...

Was West Palm Beach untargeted? I seem to recall it being on Florida's target list, IIRC...

Dude, THANK YOU. I spent almost a half hour trying to run that down and gave up.

As to WPB, while I would target it, Macragge's list did not have it. I am rereading all of the spin-offs to stay in canon, but so far, no mention of WPB. Graham's plans do not guarantee it DOESN'T happen, though.

BTW, if you look up the news archives at news.google.com, the archives for the Gainesville Sun are available from 1981-2007...

Chapter 6
Chapter 6
Miami, Florida
December 26, 1983

This is a special report from NBC News. Now, from our Washington bureau, Chris Wallace.

"Good afternoon, this is Chris Wallace in Washington with breaking news. In East Germany today, protests have broken out again across the nation, with running battles in streets between young protestors and East German soldiers. General Secretary Erich Honecker has declared martial law and has asked the Soviet Union to send assistance to put down what he termed as a "fascist uprising intent on bringing back a Nazi Germany." President Reagan's spokesman Larry Speakes said that the East German claims are laughable on their face, and that this is an excuse to circumvent the agreements made in late October to pull back reinforcements of the Berlin garrisons. For more on this now we take you to Jack Reynolds at the Pentagon. Jack?"

Jan had been playing with his daughter and the new toys she'd gotten for Christmas, including the Cabbage Patch Dolls that he'd gotten first thing in the morning at a Toys 'R' Us after coming off stakeout. Adriana had decided to move on to her Speak & Spell, and to partially drown out the creepy robotic voice, he'd turned on the TV. During a commercial in the Aloha Bowl, he'd flipped channels on the remote control for his new 25" console (a gift from Rosa) and hit NBC just in time for the special report. Wallace's report quickly set off alarms in Klima's head. The young detective walked back to the bedroom, where his wife was reclining on the bed, reading the novel that had been one of the gifts Jan bought her.

"Rosa, we need to talk, right now, baby."

Mrs. Klima put her book down and looked at her husband quizzically. "Honey, what's wrong?" she asked. "Listen, there's a special report on NBC right now. East Germany has exploded in violence, apparently, and the Soviets are moving forces back in. I've got a bad feeling that they aren't going to back down this time, and I think we need to prepare," Jan replied. "Jan, prepare for what? A war? How can we prepare for that? You know what will happen if they start shooting at each other," Rosa said.

"Yes, babe, I know, but I don't think it'll happen right away. Nobody wants the worst to happen. But we do need to prepare a plan, so if things start going badly, we can get out of town," Jan told her. "And honestly, if it goes real badly, they might reactivate me in the Army. I am still in the Ready Reserve, and World War III would be as good a reason as any. Hell, you know my boss has already been activated in the FNG." Rosa's face was a mixture of anger and sadness at that last remark. "Jan Edvard Klima, you will not leave me alone if a nuclear war breaks out! We either live together or die together, but I can't and I won't do this alone!" Rosa's yelling caused Adriana to walk into the bedroom and ask why Mommy was crying, which cut off the discussion. For now, anyway.

Tallahassee, Florida
State Capitol
8:07 pm

Governor Bob Graham had seen the news, too. There was little mistaking what had happened as anything less than a serious escalation of already heavy tensions, and the legislature was set to vote on his emergency powers bill in just over a week's time, as they were convening early this year. Graham knew the vote would be close, and he was trying to stay calm, because every day lost might be critical. He had some powers, though, and he called the Agriculture Commissioner, Doyle Conner, and directed him to initiate what Graham had called SKYLIGHT: erection of greenhouses at fruit farms in rural parts of the state. The farmers would be given ample amounts of seed and soil to grow vegetables, with the cover story that Florida was looking to see if food production could be increased by the state, in light of famines around the world. It appealed to the Christian hearts of the farmers, and nobody could consider the inexpensive outlay of frames and plexiglass to be a government boondoggle. Conner had been commissioner for 22 years already, and if he was behind a project, there wasn't a farmer in the state who would speak against it.

Miami Industrial District
11:03 pm

In his warehouse, Manny Rivera was overseeing his latest shipment of cocaine. He had not seen the news, and didn't know how upcoming events would shut off his flow of drugs and money. All he knew, as his underlings cut the powder and packed it into plastic, was that he was on top of the world. El Caracortado was a multi-millionaire now, with a beautiful house, fast cars, and fast women. With the help of his informant inside Miami PD, he could soon rid himself of his talkative Cuban problem, too. He'd found out the schedule that they used to move the informant. The next move was scheduled for December 29. Rivera and Antonio were already planning how they'd do it. Plan A was to use a doorman at the hotel the informant was being moved from. Rivera owned a chunk of the hotel, and had placed a couple of his men on staff, where they could listen for useful information. Plan B was an ambush on the street, ramming the unmarked cop car that the informant's police guards were using. The final option, if all else failed, was to send a hit squad, led by Antonio, to the hotel where the cops were taking the informant. Rivera had acquired silenced submachine guns and a new weapon, flashbang grenades, from his supplier in Panama. Both the SMG's and the grenades were courtesy of a pockmarked colonel in that nation who ran guns, drugs, and the security forces. He and Rivera both lacked nothing in the machismo department, and enjoyed cigars and good whiskey together whenever Rivera traveled there to negotiate new lines of supply. So, if it came down to it, Antonio and his men would hose down the pigs and their squealer with enough bullets to ensure nothing would survive.

Manny lit one of the Cubans his Panamanian friend had given him. Tonight was a good night. In 72 hours, life would be even better.

Yeah, Graham's bill for emergency powers might have more support than he thinks, especially after what's coming in the next week...

wolverinethad, he's gonna die much sooner ITTL, especially with the Soviets likely targeting the Panama Canal Zone and nearby Panama City...

wt (if you don't mind me abbreviating your handle), would've commented a chapter or two back, but I've been up to my tits in academic work so here's two belated cents:
Loving the TL so far; you've got the early-80s crime drama vibe down pat, Kilma is a wonderfully-rounded character who doesn't fall entirely into the hardboiled detective box thanks to the family-centred segments adding a very humanistic edge to him, which I think accurately captures the way people are able to separate themselves from their engrossing, depressing worklives.
At the same time, there's the undertone of steadily-mounting dread as the world beyond Miami (hell, the world within Miami, too) edges closer to madness, with the back-and-forth of superpower tensions a very good expansion upon the original P&S' somewhat skeletal coverage of the pre-war period. That's starting to bleed into the day-to-day lives of Kilma and the other characters, and it's affecting them in realistic ways - very interested to see where you take his character as you go on.

Now, Rivera (I think it's been mentioned, but shouldn't his nom de droga be La Caracortada? Spanish class was eighteen months ago for me now, but I think "cara" is the root word the modifiers have to agree with in number and gender). The megalomania and increasing sense of invulnerability seem realistic; he's on top of the world and if he's not thinking much further than a day ahead, it's because he's been taken in by his own game (and been taking his own product, which I understand is a no-no in the drug pusher world for a reason). If you're going where I think you're going, he's going to do something very bold and rash and stupid soon and push someone else over the edge, which should only make the transition-to-war period all the more interesting for your narrative.

The Governor is a more recent addition, but good for a macro-level view of the situation: he has more of the pieces of the puzzle than anyone else, and you present the information he's party to without it coming off as an infodump. One is put rather in mind of Macragge's County Controller in the original; he'll also be one to watch in the war period.

If nothing else, I pity him; an ex of mine spent a semester or two at UF-Gainesville, and if she's to be believed it's a torrid, half-malarial hellhole - but I'll let the board's Floridians have the last word on that one.

Yeah, Rivera reminds me of Tony Montana towards the end of Scarface; do not become hooked on your own product. He will also be an example of the trope Did Not Think This Through (seriously, RPGs in public? That would attract attention from all the wrong people, if it happened)...

And Rivers is going to move on the 29th, the very same day that the Key West incident occurs (according to Chip's story)...

Looking forward to more, of course...

wt (if you don't mind me abbreviating your handle), would've commented a chapter or two back, but I've been up to my tits in academic work so here's two belated cents:
Loving the TL so far; you've got the early-80s crime drama vibe down pat, Kilma is a wonderfully-rounded character who doesn't fall entirely into the hardboiled detective box thanks to the family-centred segments adding a very humanistic edge to him, which I think accurately captures the way people are able to separate themselves from their engrossing, depressing worklives.
At the same time, there's the undertone of steadily-mounting dread as the world beyond Miami (hell, the world within Miami, too) edges closer to madness, with the back-and-forth of superpower tensions a very good expansion upon the original P&S' somewhat skeletal coverage of the pre-war period. That's starting to bleed into the day-to-day lives of Kilma and the other characters, and it's affecting them in realistic ways - very interested to see where you take his character as you go on.

Now, Rivera (I think it's been mentioned, but shouldn't his nom de droga be La Caracortada? Spanish class was eighteen months ago for me now, but I think "cara" is the root word the modifiers have to agree with in number and gender). The megalomania and increasing sense of invulnerability seem realistic; he's on top of the world and if he's not thinking much further than a day ahead, it's because he's been taken in by his own game (and been taking his own product, which I understand is a no-no in the drug pusher world for a reason). If you're going where I think you're going, he's going to do something very bold and rash and stupid soon and push someone else over the edge, which should only make the transition-to-war period all the more interesting for your narrative.

The Governor is a more recent addition, but good for a macro-level view of the situation: he has more of the pieces of the puzzle than anyone else, and you present the information he's party to without it coming off as an infodump. One is put rather in mind of Macragge's County Controller in the original; he'll also be one to watch in the war period.

If nothing else, I pity him; an ex of mine spent a semester or two at UF-Gainesville, and if she's to be believed it's a torrid, half-malarial hellhole - but I'll let the board's Floridians have the last word on that one.

Given your excellent timeline, I appreciate all the praise you've given this story. Regarding Mr. Rivera, it's El because he's a dude. Caracortada is the translation for Scarface, sayeth Google. To be honest, I was always a C student in my Spanish classes, but I think I'm doing it right here, even though the word ends in A.

Graham was a natural fit, given the references to him in other P&S stories. He may have more complications given Florida's different residential composition.

Great timeline! This will, unfortunately, end poorly for South Florida. Between a number of targets in the area and the low water table that makes fallout shelters very impractical in much of the area as well as limited evacuation routes (I-95, US 27 and the Florida Turnpike going north and Alligator Alley and the Tamiami Trail going west), people in the region are going to be stuck there as things fall apart. Those with private yachts who try getting away on the water are going to have to head north to avoid fallout and for many that may be the best course of action. For the rest, including the many retirees in the area who would have survived two world wars and the Depression, they aren't likely to fare particularly well. Bear in mind that in 1984, a lot of the development west of Miami and Fort Lauderdale that exists today was still swampland. Suburbs like Plantation and Sunrise in Broward County had about half the population of today and places further west such as Weston did not yet exist. What this means is that the population of the region is much closer to the coast than today and thus closer to the blast areas. I'd also note that there is a strip along the coast between Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach that might emerge in decent shape if the fallout blows out to sea. This would be the area from Pompano Beach to Lake Worth. North of West Palm Beach might be in decent shape if places like Daytona Beach and Vero Beach are left alone. Looking west along the gulf coast, the area around Naples up to Fort Myers should also be untouched. Most of the rest of the entire state will be completely done in. The Panhandle, the Tampa/St. Pete area, Cape Canaveral, Orlando and Jacksonville are all full of military targets. Those who survive in untouched parts of the state may find the going tough very quickly as they are going to be effectively cut off from the rest of the country for some time. This is not good in a state dependent upon importing a lot of what it needs, including food.

Great timeline! This will, unfortunately, end poorly for South Florida. Between a number of targets in the area and the low water table that makes fallout shelters very impractical in much of the area as well as limited evacuation routes (I-95, US 27 and the Florida Turnpike going north and Alligator Alley and the Tamiami Trail going west), people in the region are going to be stuck there as things fall apart. Those with private yachts who try getting away on the water are going to have to head north to avoid fallout and for many that may be the best course of action. For the rest, including the many retirees in the area who would have survived two world wars and the Depression, they aren't likely to fare particularly well. Bear in mind that in 1984, a lot of the development west of Miami and Fort Lauderdale that exists today was still swampland. Suburbs like Plantation and Sunrise in Broward County had about half the population of today and places further west such as Weston did not yet exist. What this means is that the population of the region is much closer to the coast than today and thus closer to the blast areas. I'd also note that there is a strip along the coast between Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach that might emerge in decent shape if the fallout blows out to sea. This would be the area from Pompano Beach to Lake Worth. North of West Palm Beach might be in decent shape if places like Daytona Beach and Vero Beach are left alone. Looking west along the gulf coast, the area around Naples up to Fort Myers should also be untouched. Most of the rest of the entire state will be completely done in. The Panhandle, the Tampa/St. Pete area, Cape Canaveral, Orlando and Jacksonville are all full of military targets. Those who survive in untouched parts of the state may find the going tough very quickly as they are going to be effectively cut off from the rest of the country for some time. This is not good in a state dependent upon importing a lot of what it needs, including food.

So, that day, according to Weather Underground (God, it's amazing the data that's available), winds were blowing SSW to NNW, which takes fallout STRAIGHT up the coastline if there's a groundburst at the Miami airport (likely, in my opinion). It'll be lighter by the time it gets to WPB, but a lot of that coastline is going to eat a crapload of fallout south of WPB. On the bright side...Daytona gets light fallout from St. Pete/Tampa based on standard wind patterns, Naples to Fort Myers looks fine, Melbourne, Vero Beach.

Very interesting is the role that Tallahassee to Gainesville to Ocala may play. They are large municipalities, and will be virtually untouched by fallout (Tallahassee being the only one to get the slightest amount of fallout, at worst). On the other side of the center third of the state is going to be Naples, Ft. Myers, Melbourne, Vero Beach. Port St. Lucie, Stuart, and Ft. Pierce are in a finger that somehow escapes the fallout from all the other downstate strikes, with I-95 and US-1 being available to use, but any relief effort will essentially have to center around Ft. Pierce and then be shuttled up and down those two highways, while avoiding desperate survivors fleeing north. Essentially, there's going to be a North Florida and a South Florida when this is done, because the contamination will be brutal across the center of the state, and the Gulf is really going to be the only way to get supplies down to South Florida.

I do wonder, and I'd love some weighing in on this, but do you think the Soviets will have lobbed nukes at Sarasota International Airport and the Guard armories in Fort Myers and Crystal River? Nothing in canon showed those cities getting hit, but military targets weren't on the list, either, so some opinion would be appreciated.

I do wonder, and I'd love some weighing in on this, but do you think the Soviets will have lobbed nukes at Sarasota International Airport and the Guard armories in Fort Myers and Crystal River? Nothing in canon showed those cities getting hit, but military targets weren't on the list, either, so some opinion would be appreciated.

The only cast-iron canon is the original P&S, and the lists given there have wiggle-room in terms of being far from comprehensive even in-context (that's rather the point, I think; scattered bits of information received as the world ends), so you've got a lot of creative latitude. I'd figure Sarasota International probably, given the Soviet policy of nailing as many airstrips capable of taking a B-52 as possible, but the NG armories are really up to you - they're not really A-grade targets, and there's always dodgy Soviet targeting to blame.

Minor repair of canon
@Chipperback, I wanted to give you a heads-up. Your AP report in Land of Flatwater stated F-16's engaged the Cubans from NAS Key West. F-16's were a USAF platform only, and would've flown out of Homestead. Since Key West was established in more than one P&S timeline as the originating base, I'm going to change what planes were flown, as I did some digging and found one of the squadrons who would've been flying out of there during that time period, especially in an emergency. VA-12 had just come back from deployment, and was beginning transition from F-4 Phantoms to F-14 Tomcats. NAS Key West was a primary location for these sorts of transitions, so I'm going to place VA-12 there with their Phantoms and the (few) Tomcats they received by this point.

Hopefully everyone is okay with this, but I do want it to be accurate as I cover this crucial turning point.

IMO, the NG armories and the nuclear power plants (at St. Lucie and at Crystal River (1)) aren't high-value targets for the Soviets (Sarasota International, OTOH, is more likely to be hit, but the targeting could go off (2)), so they probably get spared; plus, there will be some near misses and those targets who are spared because the missiles meant for them were destroyed before they could launch, so I would spare the NG armories and the nuclear power plants (the ones in Nebraska were spared in Land of Flatwater). The good news is that those plants are in light-to-no fallout zones, so there is a chance of relaunching them postwar (unlike in Nebraska, at least for a while); the irony here would be enormous (using nuclear power to power the state, when nuclear attacks destroyed many of the state's cities)...

Man, Florida is about as bad off as Finland in Land of Sad Songs (but will be better prepared postwar)...

BTW, what happens to Clearwater, Florida (home to one of the bases of the Church of Scientology (is it really bad that I want something horrible to happen to them, wolverinethad?)) in this scenario? It's near the Tampa-St. Petersburg area...

(1) The one at Turkey Point is near Homestead AFB and would likely get damage from that strike; luckily, the NEC shut them down a couple of days before the Exchange, according to Land of Flatwater...
(2) Look at the Protect and Survive TL by Zoom, the Fighting Illini, to see an example; the Springfield strike went off course...

Chapter 7
Chapter 7
December 29, 1983
Naval Air Station Key West, Florida

Ever since the rioting flared up again in East Germany, the fighter pilots of NAS Key West had been on high alert. If something was going to happen, Key West would be amongst the first to notice, since Castro and friends were not that far across the Florida Straits. The base commander had been flying a standing CAP (Combat Air Patrol) 24/7 for the last two days, with four fighters up at a time to patrol the waters. Crew rest times were already getting stretched, but the base commander couldn't afford to let his guard down. Unfortunately, he was about to be proven right this morning.

The pilots of VA-12 were in transition. Deployed for the better part of the last two decades in F-4 Phantoms, they had come back from Lebanon two months ago after the USS Coral Sea's deployment was done, and were just beginning to transition to F-14 Tomcats. However, the growing emergency meant that instead of getting to learn the F-14's better, over half of them were flying their Phantoms on these patrols. If war came, they'd be fighting it from capable, but aging, Phantoms instead of gleaming new Tomcats fresh from McDonnell-Douglas. They were almost two months in to their transition this morning, for a timeline that was supposed to take 10-12 months to complete. It wasn't an ideal situation, but neither was a simmering threat of war.

The current four pilots in the air were Lieutenant Commander Brad Winters, Lieutenant (j.g.) Greg Cooper, Lieutenant Jamie Evans, and Lieutenant (j.g.) Tim Jennings. Winters was squad leader for this patrol. An E-2C Hawkeye was flying an AWACS mission higher up in the clouds, providing command and control for the four Phantoms below. They were armed to the teeth with 4 AIM-7 Sparrows (medium range) and 4 AIM-9 Sidewinders (short range) on each plane, giving them ample firepower to deal with any incoming threat, and they had just come across one as they were headed west in their racetrack pattern.

"Clincher Lead, Clincher Lead, this is Jupiter," the E-2's radar officer called out. "You have multiple bogeys at your nine o'clock, headed north-northeast. Repeat, bogeys at your nine, headed north-northeast." "Roger that, Jupiter," Winters said. "Clincher flight, this is Lead, let's turn back to 25 degrees, headed north-northeast. Eyes sharp, someone's paying us a visit, and they didn't have the courtesy to call ahead." The Phantoms banked hard to the left, swinging back around and headed north towards Miami. At Homestead Air Force Base, klaxons were sounding and the ready team was running to their F-16's, ready to take station above southeast Florida, giving cover over land while the Phantoms engaged over the water.

A few minutes later, the Phantom pilots saw the outlines of their targets. Four Cuban MiG-23s and a larger plane.....no, it couldn't be, Evans thought. Evans punched his afterburner and shot ahead of Jennings. As he closed, he could make out the tail clear as day. "Clincher Lead, Clincher Lead, this is Clincher Two. Those MiG's are escorting a Bear. Repeat, the MiG's are escorting a Tango-Ultra Nine Five, do you copy?" Evans asked. "Copy, Clincher Two. I'm going to give them a chance to think better about this," Winters replied. The lieutenant commander switched frequencies. "MiG flight, this is the United States Navy. You are in American territorial waters. Repeat, you are in American territorial waters. Do you copy?" No reply from the MiGs. Winters pushed his mic button again. "MiG flight, you are in United States waters. Please turn to 135 degrees and we will escort you back to international waters. Repeat, turn to 135 degrees and we will escort you to international waters."

The MiGs kept their silence, but started maneuvering about while keeping cover on the Tu-95 Bear bomber. Now all four pilots could see the Cuban markings, but they knew that Bear was Soviet. Cuba didn't own any Bears. The Soviets didn't want Castro getting any ideas. Winters was getting angry, but the naval Phantom didn't have a Vulcan cannon like its USAF counterparts to fire warning shots. Winters cued his microphone one more time. "Cuban aircraft, this is the United States Navy. Turn to 135 degrees and accept escort to international waters or we will shoot you down!" The MiGs began evasive maneuvers while the Bear started training its rear gun around. "Clincher flight, this is Jupiter, you are weapons free. Repeat, you are weapons free," said the combat officer on the Hawkeye as Winters began to pursue a MiG-23.

The battle lasted only a couple of minutes, as the four Phantoms shot down two Cuban fighters, while Winters went after the Bear. As he closed in, the rear gunner fired a burst at Winters' Phantom, which just missed his left engine, and Winters triggered off a Sidewinder that hit one of the Bear's inboard engines. "Sidewinder means I don't have to say sorry, you Red bastard," Winters whispered to himself. The damaged plane decided it was time to get out of this battle, and the pilot radioed the remaining MiGs to escort him back to Cuba. He was losing fuel fairly fast, and they'd all be floating in the Straits if they weren't quick about it. Seeing the MiGs break off, Jupiter directed the Phantoms to break off and hold station. Jennings was just about to fire when the order to disengage came. He toggled his mic. "Sir, what the hell just happened? Are we at war?" Jennings asked. Winters took a deep breath. "Maybe not now, but I don't think it's far off. They didn't just want to test our defenses. They were provoking a response, and we had to give it to them. Washington's gonna be pissed."

Klima and Cárdenas had hit it off well over the past few weeks, and as they drove in their unmarked car en route to check out a potential location for drug processing, well, they were trying to stay loose. "Beat itttttt, just beat ittttt, no one wants to be defeeeeated. Showin' how funky strong is your fight, it doesn't matter who's wrong or who's right, just beat it, beat it, beat it." The two cops were singing along to one of Michael Jackson's big hits from the Thriller album, and as Eddie Van Halen's guitar solo kicked in, Klima played air guitar as Cárdenas drove, laughing at his partner. He'd thought him stiff when they first met, but lots of long nights on stakeout get men to open up to each other, and the two were fast becoming friends. Unfortunately, life intruded on their fun.

"We interrupt this music for a special bulletin. Ladies and gentlemen, this is Bo Walker here in the WCKO studios. The governor of Florida has ordered all beaches closed from Key West to West Palm Beach. I repeat, the governor of Florida has ordered all beaches closed from Key West to West Palm Beach. Anyone on the beaches must evacuate immediately, again, anyone on the beaches must evacuate immediately. All residents living on a beach or shoreline are recommended to take shelter. We hope to learn more about this order shortly, in the meantime, we are going to simulcast our AM news partner WNWS 790. This is Bo Walker, and now, here is newsradio WNWS 790."

Klima turned the radio off and the police radio back on. Orders were rapidly going out to all officers. Cárdenas put on the gumball red light and hit the switch to activate the siren as he hung a hard left and drove across the bridge to Miami Beach. People were already streaming off the beach. The hotels were at their busiest in years, with all the Nebraska fans in town for the big Orange Bowl showdown with Miami's trash-talking Hurricanes. Klima and Cárdenas parked the car and got out, running towards the beach to start checking for stragglers. "Hey, Luis, man, this don't look good right now. Something's up," said Klima, as they swept the shoreline. "No shit, hermano, I don't know what's up, but I don't like the looks of this," Cárdenas replied. Suddenly, two F-16s screamed overhead at low level, causing both officers to hit the sand. "Holy shit!" screamed Cárdenas. Jan looked up from the sand. "Luis, it's our guys, at least. F-16s. Jesus, man, what is going on out here?"

The officers brushed the sand off, and continued sweeping. The beach was empty now. If anyone had been defying the order, the F-16s had quickly changed their minds. It was a ghost town now. Jan and Luis started walking up to a hotel, and went inside to see if there was any explanation for this. Looking left as they came in the door, Klima saw two families, one white, one black, hugging their children. The black mother was saying, "...was very worried. You can't just run off by yourself!" Her child replied, "But I left a note on the nighttable..." Klima shook his head as he walked past, thanking God his family didn't live by a beach. Adriana and Rosa were probably safe. Inside the hotel's restaurant, the TV at the bar was on. Tom Brokaw's face was on screen, and a small crowd was gathered.

"We're just learning of a major incident in South Florida. The governor of that state has closed all beaches from Key West up to West Palm Beach, and there are reports of fighter aircraft over the skies of Miami. We're trying to..[Brokaw is handed a piece of paper]..we have a report from the Associated Press. There is, or has been, this is unsure, an aerial battle somewhere off the shores of the Florida Keys. Witnesses reported hearing multiple fighter jets, and several apparent explosions over the Florida Straits. Our Pentagon correspondent Jack Reynolds and our White House correspondent Chris Wallace are both working to confirm this story, as is our local Miami affiliate. Let's turn now to John Chancellor for more detail as to what this situation may be about. John?"

Cárdenas looked at his partner. "Fuck, man, are we at war?" Klima swallowed hard. He noticed his hands were shaking ever so slightly. "Luis, I don't know. I just don't know. I think I need to call my wife and make sure she's okay."