Or better yet, a 1 MT warhead detonated near ground level over Homestead AFB and a 25 MT "city buster" warhead from an R-36M (SS-18 Satan) over downtown Miami.

Did they have that many to spend one on Miami?

On the day of the exchange, southern Florida is under a stationary front with slow, soaking rain. Not much wind speed in the low levels, but the Miami area is close to the subtropical jet. Basically, if it's getting ejected into the upper levels, it's going pretty far. The northern Bahamas are hosed.

How about you have the Florida state government (subtly) inspect all nuclear shelters in the Miami area at this time? They could probably get away with the excuse that it is for the next hurricane season, IMO...

Frankly, Klima, if you want shelter for your family, I'd go to Naples or Fort Myers or, hell, Fort Pierce; they're unlikely to be targeted...

Methinks the drug dealer's business will take a big hit from the Exchange...

Fort Pierce has a nuclear power station on Hutchinson Island right nearby so it would not be a great place to hide.

Keep up the good work wolverinethad!

IMO, the Soviets probably wouldn't target nuclear power plants on their own (there are so many other targets to hit, and only so many warheads)...

So, I just finished Garrett Graff's book on the history of civil defense and COG in America. At this point in time, the system was NOT working very well. The shelters were outdated, stocks had been removed, and a number had structural issues. I think knowing that changes the calculus of how I write this story, as in real life, it took the entire Reagan administration to fix the COG comms and shelter issues.

Using nukes for groundbursts is alright for taking out hardened targets like NORAD or SAC HQ in Omaha or to dig out missile silos but with an air burst you get a wider area of destruction so if you missile misses by a mile or two the airburst would still take out all of the hangers, repair facilities living quarters, other assorted building and the runway would be affected by massive amounts of debris strewn everywhere. You don't necessarily kill the base, but you achieve a mission kill since while you might be able to land aircraft on the runways after you clear off all of the debris there are no support facilities left the maintain and refuel the planes. While at the same time doing damage to a wider area around the base and also I don't know that the Soviets would have the necessary warhead to hit every civilian airport in the United States. So one or two warheads per Air Force base in southern Florida and one or two for Miami and that would be about all would could expect to see and a few of those will not work and others will miss their targets some by a mile and some by a hundred.

Did they have that many to spend one on Miami?

I believe by February 1984, the Soviets had just over 200 R-36M missiles of various types in service. Many were used as "city busters" with their 25 MT warheads and a single 25 MT burst over downtown Miami would have destroyed Miami Beach, the Port of Miami and Miami International Airport in addition to the center of Miami itself. There would be a near ground-level burst over Homestead AFB designed to create a shallow crater that would completely destroy the runways at that airfield.

I believe by February 1984, the Soviets had just over 200 R-36M missiles of various types in service. Many were used as "city busters" with their 25 MT warheads and a single 25 MT burst over downtown Miami would have destroyed Miami Beach, the Port of Miami and Miami International Airport in addition to the center of Miami itself. There would be a near ground-level burst over Homestead AFB designed to create a shallow crater that would completely destroy the runways at that airfield.

The numbers I've seen are more like two dozen 20+MT party-ruiners than two hundred, and Miami's not nearly a hardened enough target for that. Omaha eats two R-36s in Land of Flatwater , and from the way Cheyenne Mountain is described as basically gone in P&S, I assume a few got lobbed at NORAD.

Besides, "enormous fuckoff nuke falls, everyone dies" makes for a really unsatisfying story :closedeyesmile:

The numbers I've seen are more like two dozen 20+MT party-ruiners than two hundred, and Miami's not nearly a hardened enough target for that. Omaha eats two R-36s in Land of Flatwater , and from the way Cheyenne Mountain is described as basically gone in P&S, I assume a few got lobbed at NORAD.

Besides, "enormous fuckoff nuke falls, everyone dies" makes for a really unsatisfying story :closedeyesmile:

FAS lists https://fas.org/nuke/guide/russia/icbm/r-36m.htm

56 R36M1 with single large warhead, 24x M3 (single warhead), all replaced by Mod 4 (10 warheads) by 1984. This would indicate a number of some two dozen available as you say. Likely targets would be Minuteman LCC's, NORAD etc. Definitely not cities as they could be taken out by less accurate missiles such as SLBM's, older ICBM's or even bombers (which would definitely have rather good chances getting through after air defenses are blasted by nukes).

Chapter 3
Chapter 3
November 12, 1983
Miami, Florida

"Good morning, Miami. Let's have a look at the news. President Reagan landed in Seoul today, condemning North Korean oppression of its peoples and its constant threats aimed at South Korea, as this year marks thirty years since the end of the Korean War. Also today, presidential envoy Donald Rumsfeld, the former defense secretary, left for the Middle East. Rumsfeld replaces Philip Habib, the longtime diplomat, and is expected to visit nearly every country in the region. His itinerary has been kept secret, says the White House, for his safety, as multiple nations in the region are at war.

At home, the Miami police department arrested a number of Cubans yesterday, charging them with the manufacture and distribution of cocaine. The spokesman for the chief of police says that several kilos of the designer drug were seized in the arrest, along with approximately $75,000 in cash and multiple AK-47s."

Klima could hardly believe it. Having a Cuban with him, asking questions, telling him who they should talk to...it was working. He'd been such a star his whole life that he wasn't used to it, but the ex-Army officer's training helped immensely. Young officers aren't taught to have egos, and Klima was keeping his in check [Sidebar: it's an unintentional pun, but I'm proud of it anyway]. They'd made a huge bust yesterday. A pile of coke, guns, cash. It was a victory, and after months of chasing a ghost, Miami's homicide division now had potential leads. There was very few people in Miami who could provide that much cocaine, and if one of these guys talked, Klima and Cárdenas would be able to grab the next rung on the ladder, and maybe find who El Caracortada was.

What he was, at the moment, was furious.

"Those stupid fools! How did they get caught?! Tell me, Antonio! HOW DID THEY GET CAUGHT?!" Antonio found himself slammed up against a wall with a very angry Cuban in his face. He could smell the cigar on his breath, see the scar on his face. He'd seen it happen to others, but now he was against the wall, and for the first time, he feared for his life. He knew how angry his boss could be. They'd been friends as young boys in Cuba, and in Little Havana, they'd been reunited after years of not seeing each other. Some things hadn't changed. Manny had always been....angry.

"Manny, esé, I don't know. We can replace it. It hurts, yeah, but it wasn't everything. They don't have me. They don't have you. They got some dumb perros that probably bragged to one too many people. You know this place. Everybody talks. This is why we have to keep the operation tight. I know you want to help our own kind, man, but not everyone is smart like you. If we get too big, we'll get caught too," Antonio said.

Manny let his friend go, then picked up one of the ashtrays in his office and hurled it at the wall, smashing it to pieces. He sat down in his chair, opened his desk drawer, and pulled out a small bag and a razor blade. He poured the contents on the desktop, diced it up with the razor, and then took a cut straw and snorted the two rows he'd just cut.

So now he's doing his own product. No wonder he flipped out on me.

Antonio left the room. He was going to find out who talked, and if Manny kept going the way he was going....the operation would have a new boss soon.

On a quieter note, a number of officials had slipped into Miami via Homestead Air Force Base. A detachment from FEMA, the Federal Emergency Management Agency, along with Governor Bob Graham and his National Guard adjutant, received a briefing on base about the current world situation, and then drove into the city to inspect shelters and plans for protecting key personnel. The National Hurricane Center had recently moved out of the Ungar Building at the University of Miami, but some of its staff, since hurricane season was over, were now working shifts in the shelter underneath the building. Built during the 1960s after the Cuban Missile Crisis, it contained gear to measure wind and fallout patterns, as well as enough food and water to last 30 days. While it was not particularly deep, it was made of very strong reinforced concrete, and an escape tunnel was dug that ran to the nearby Gifford Arboretum, so in the event of a building collapse, the occupants could theoretically leave the bunker through that route.

Another such shelter sat under City Hall in Miami, but to Graham, it seemed absolutely foolish to even have built one there. City Hall sat on the edge of the Atlantic, and a nuclear blast would cause a tsunami that would flood the coastlines and easily devastate this prewar building, drowning the occupants inside. Other shelters underneath city buildings only confirmed Graham's assessment. If a war came, the city was not prepared. He adjourned to a conference room to meet with the mayor and the head of emergency preparedness, informing them that he was going to activate an engineering battalion from the Florida National Guard to help build a better shelter further inshore. The men would work in civilian clothes so as to avoid attention, but the plan was to create a survivable shelter so Miami would be able to have a semblance of functioning government after a war.

Graham prayed there wouldn't be a war. He doubted anyone here would live if there was.

The Soviets would NEVER have wasted an SS-18 on a city. A 1MT warhead does the job just fine.

SS-18 had options. It didn't have to have a giant bunker-busting warhead. A couple hundred SS-18 Mod 4's were deployed with MIRV's for 500-750 KT per warhead, and 8-10 warheads per missile. A couple SS-18s could hit every usable civilian target in and around Miami. Downtown (airburst), Coral Gables (airburst), Miami International (groundburst), Ft. Lauderdale International (groundburst).

Warplans by the early 80s had so many redundancies that a pair of SS-18's, launched at different times, could go after the entire Miami area and reduce it to nothing. The canon for P&S holds that Miami was one of the cities that ate it, but the list was incomplete and didn't account for military targets, and Miami had a good amount of those nearby.

Homestead AFB
Miami CGAS
National Guard Armory in West Palm Beach (closed in 1982, certainly reopened in a TTW scenario)
Key West NAS

Add those to the other four targets, and the eastern shore is done for.

I feel bad for Panama City and Pensacola, actually. They're going to eat it so bad. Look at this list.

Hurlburt Field
Eglin AFB
NSWC Panama City
NAS Whiting Field
Tyndall AFB
NAS Pensacola

That's a fairly dense area, and it'll all be groundbursts, so anyone who doesn't get their houses blown up will face incredibly dangerous amounts of fallout. The Panhandle of Florida will essentially cease to exist.

In the Protect and Survive canon, there was a series of lines in the last part about the surviving British airmen getting out via a naval base on the Gulf of Mexico here:
The Texas’s arrival therefore heralds an important step in communications between the two battered nations. She carries a representative of the Columbine Government in Colorado (something of a rump state at the moment) and, vitally, information about the state of the Union. She also carries two British airmen who arrived in the country after the exchange as part of the ill-fated Operation PROSPERO. Presumed long-dead, their journey from the Mid-west to a surviving naval base in the Gulf of Mexico merits its own volume.

I presumed that the naval base was NAS Pensacola, since Corpus Christi (1) and Key West were destroyed in canon (the first one was confirmed; the second one is very likely); now, however, I'm wondering if the base was near New Orleans, since part of New Orleans was confirmed to have survived postwar (read Land of Flatwater (2) and the Island for more; the Florida survivors might get WWL-AM out of New Orleans postwar). Yeah, if I were Kilma, I'd take my family to anywhere between (maybe) Sarasota (3) and Everglades City in western Florida; eastern Florida will have Daytona Beach as its largest surviving city (again, read Land of Flatwater)...

(1) Yup, me and my mother are dead ITTL
(2) If you can, have a cameo by Chip from Land of Flatwater; Kilma might go to the game, since he is a Nebraska native and his wife went to the University of Miami, which would make for an interesting chapter...
(3) My uncle and his daughter and my grandmother lived on the west coast of Florida; he worked on Marco Island for a couple of years in the late 1980s, while my grandmother lived in North Port for many years. My cousin and her kids live in Sarasota now...

Actually if you want to make sure of a target you use two warheads one megaton or less. Take into account a certain number of missiles will not launch or go off target to varying degrees. Add on that some of the warheads will either not work entirely or possibly go off in a sub critical explosion spewing radioactive material over the area. Look at the CEP of the warheads listed that fast nuke .org website. CEP is the average error in hitting the target. After all Miami gets hammered but no one says that both have to hit or the city is totally wiped out.

Also ground burst are general used for hardened targets, missile silos, underground communication center, or major underground command centers. Cities and International Airport are soft targets, the air burst will do more damage to the city per see but with less overall radiation. You don't have to worry so much about being accurate when hitting a target. Also why target all of the airports, the Soviet Union has X number of missiles and there Yx2 the number of targets. So their is a limit to how many targets can be hit.