Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread

It's interesting that they wanted all of Brazil, but only the western portion of the 1783 United States.
Probably based on both French Louisiana's borders holding all the Mississippi watershed but also hopes at the 1783 Paris Treaty to keep America east of the Appalachians.

Does anyone has a high-resolution version of this very grainy low-res map which shows what I think are the proposed enlarged borders of South Africa's Bantustans? I've never seen this one before, and the Bantustans are my main focus on mapping right now.
1658094156354.png

I think the source is "The Failure of South African Expansion 1908-1948" by Palgrave MacMillan (1972), so it shows an early look at the Bantustan system.

It comes from this .PDF which requires payment to view its purported 806 x 1142 pixels format, however, If I am incorrect and this map is not unique in any way, then I will remove it to not derail the purpose of this thread.

Last edited:
Does anyone has a high-resolution version of this very grainy low-res map which shows what I think are the proposed enlarged borders of South Africa's Bantustans? I've never seen this one before, and the Bantustans are my main focusing on mapping right now.

View attachment 759253

It comes from this .PDF which requires payment to view its purported 806 x 1142 pixels format, however, If I am incorrect and this map is not unique in any way, then I will remove it to not derail the purpose of this thread.

I believe this map displays the results of the Tomlinson Commission.

Go to page 16 of 18.

uxbiji1.png

higher res version
So, do these green lines show any kind of proposed boundaries for the Bantustans?

But notice that Ciskei(?) would be getting three little encalves next to Humansdorp, and Bophuthatswana would be having some more enclaves as well, however, this entire map seems to be from the Natives Land Act of 1913 & 1936, so it is indeed outdated when compared to OTL Bantustan borders.

Last edited:

Beatriz

Gone Fishin'
Is it possible to generalize across the various planned wanks and come up with a list of regions everyone wanted to annex?

It's interesting that they wanted all of Brazil, but only the western portion of the 1783 United States.
Because Brazil was Portuguese at the time, and the Spanish wanted to create a second Iberian Union, hence all Portuguese territories would default to Spain, including all of Brazil.

Map done by me using a map I found googling for a greater Italy. It's not precise because the territory of Ljubiana annexed is missing and they own ALL of coastal montenegro instead of just Kotor.
italian war aims without ljubiana.png

See below.

800px-Provincia_di_Lubiana1941-1943.jpg

Map I found of territory promised in the territory of London. The Italian claims of above should be like this but still connected.
main-qimg-e914eb774d6ce150b335c738a77a1928.png

for some reason on the original draft they proposed giving it to japan for reasons i cant begin to fathom
Yellow perill-scare?
(ironically, since William himself was affraid of it - boxer rebellion, sympathies for Russia in its war with Japan...) but I am not sure how was german policy toward Japan during world war (aside being in war of course :D)