Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread

even the entirety of the former Sanjak of Novi Pazar, to cordon off Serbia from Montenegro. Probably would not have been very good at stifling nationalist sentiment, but interesting nonetheless
Wasn´t Sanjak mostly muslim? If so, sanjak wouldnt be SUCH problem (not saying that it would be absolutely without problem, no)

@No_Names_Left321 I pressume that "west Walachia" mean this...? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oltenia
There would be some precedent for it, cause it was temporary held by Habsburgs in 18th century...
Thank you, however, at first glance, I wondered if the source indeed meant Oltenia, but it says "(to the west of the line connecting the south-eastern corner of Transylvania and Bucharest)" (Piahanau 14). So it seems that it stretches further east, covering almost all of Wallachia.

These are excellent, great work. Small note, the Austro-Hungarian agreement with Ukraine for grain was that East Galicia and Bukovina would be combined as a Ukranian-majority crownland of Cisleithania, not be ceded to Ukraine. I see the later claim made on a lot of websites, it's not really supported when you look at the primary sources.

I would definitely recommend Fried's book. Obviously, it contains a lot of info on the subject, I'd call it a pretty comprehensive source. There's a lot in it, don't have it with me right now, but I remember for instance, a proposal to annex the strip of land Montenegro annexed after the Balkan War, or even the entirety of the former Sanjak of Novi Pazar, to cordon off Serbia from Montenegro. Probably would not have been very good at stifling nationalist sentiment, but interesting nonetheless.

I forgot about that proposal, thank you for jogging my memory! And I thought they were to be merged to be ceded to Ukraine in the future. I should have read the actual treaty of Brest-Litovsk, but I have yet to get around to doing so. Thank you for clearing that up.

Also, beautiful map Chris S!

Last edited:
I swear to god, Operation Northwoods never fails to disgust me.
They really were willing to do anything to get Castro out of power, even if it meant murdering their own citizens. It makes me wonder what the actual response would be from the international community, and if a war would actually be successful.

uttar pradesh.png
uttar pradesh 2.png

Divided Uttar Pradesh in WorldA and QBAM, for anyone who needs a divided Uttar Pradesh in WorldA or QBAM. Source:
uttar pradesh.jpg

Ah, yes. Dutchlantropa. My people exhibiting their fundamental nature in the stupidest way possible... :rolleyes:

The video does make a convincing case; it's easier to get a dozen nations to spend $500 Billion over 20 years than ~190 to agree to agree to emissions cuts sufficient to prevent a major sea level rise....

Skallagrim

Banned
But, it will be the true final victory against the greatest enemy of the Netherlands...The Sea.
That's just what we want you to think. This is actually phase one of the Herovering ("reconquest"/"reconquista"). We will ultimately dam the entire North Atlantic. And then, with a land bridge that goes all the way to North America... we will finally take back what is rightfully ours. New York will be Nieuw Amsterdam again!

That's just what we want you to think. This is actually phase one of the Herovering ("reconquest"/"reconquista"). We will ultimately dam the entire North Atlantic. And then, with a land bridge that goes all the way to North America... we will finally take back what is rightfully ours. New York will be Nieuw Amsterdam again!

I fear when the New Netherland-descended fifth columnists rise up against us. ;_;

Two proposals for Europe by Leopold Kohr (explanations by Frank Jacobs):

As Kohr saw it, the problem with Europe’s geopolitical makeup was the fact that its states were not equal in size, allowing the ‘big ones’ to dominate the rest. Or at least try to, hence the endless series of wars in Europe. One way to solve this, would be to chop up the continent into rectangular chunks of territory, disregarding most existing cultural, religious, linguistic and natural boundaries.

img.jpg

"One last map by Leopold Kohr, also an addendum to his book ‘The Breakdown of Nations’ (1957). Kohr probably realised that dividing Europe into rectangular, US-style states would clash with the ‘tribal’ makeup of the Old Continent’s culturally diverse peoples. So he modified that idea to propose a European federation of ‘little states’: still too small to cause harm, but more in line with Europe’s ethnic composition."

img.jpg

The Breakdown of Nations by Leopold Kohr
"Kohr Principles" by Frank Jacobs
"Want World Peace? Divide the World in Enough Small States" by Frank Jacobs

And a 1992 map of Europe from Heineken CEO and chairman Freddy (Heineken) (explanation by Frank Jacobs):

Heineken’s proposal would lead to the creation of dozens of new European states, which would have a comparably small population size (mostly between 5 and 10 million), some basis in history, and for the most part would be ethnically homogenous.

The theory behind Heineken’s idea is that a larger number of smaller member-states would be easier to govern within a single European framework than a combination of larger states competing for dominance.

EU-Regionen-1.jpg

(larger version here)

"The United States of Europe, A Eurotopia?" from Wikipedia
"My Kingdom for a Beer? Heineken's Eurotopia" by Frank Jacobs
"Tuesday Map: Heineken's 'Eurotopia'" by Joshua Keating

Two proposals for Europe by Leopold Kohr (explanations by Frank Jacobs):

As Kohr saw it, the problem with Europe’s geopolitical makeup was the fact that its states were not equal in size, allowing the ‘big ones’ to dominate the rest. Or at least try to, hence the endless series of wars in Europe. One way to solve this, would be to chop up the continent into rectangular chunks of territory, disregarding most existing cultural, religious, linguistic and natural boundaries.

img.jpg

"One last map by Leopold Kohr, also an addendum to his book ‘The Breakdown of Nations’ (1957). Kohr probably realised that dividing Europe into rectangular, US-style states would clash with the ‘tribal’ makeup of the Old Continent’s culturally diverse peoples. So he modified that idea to propose a European federation of ‘little states’: still too small to cause harm, but more in line with Europe’s ethnic composition."

img.jpg

The Breakdown of Nations by Leopold Kohr
"Kohr Principles" by Frank Jacobs
"Want World Peace? Divide the World in Enough Small States" by Frank Jacobs

> too small to cause harm
> leaves freaking ENGLAND together

2 proposals for the reorganization of Romania's administrative divisions, one of them done in 1920:

Propunere_judete_si_regiuni_1920.png

d2x5K88nACJT9QFkxB6Mo25ihVVfyZ_AFOyrL5XHiU0U4L0V5O0NE3OnNuZx_M_q_5e80cyfL1LvzLSpqQsH_slY

...and the other done in 1968:

1280px-PropuneriJudeteRSR1968.png

(larger version here)
1280px-Propunere_pentru_judete_noi_in_1968.jpg

Three proposals for French regions, from "Découper la France en régions" by Arnaud Brennetot and Sophie de Ruffray, which has (aside from a giant table of over 70 different ones from 1851 to 2014) these three maps:

Black: "borders corresponding to then-current regional limits"
Red: "borders corresponding to then-current interdepartmental limits"
Blue: "borders not corresponding to the 'departmental network'"
Striped: autonomous regions

Découpage proposé par P. Vidal de la Blache (1910)
"Division proposed by Paul Vidal de la Blache (1910)"

img-5-small480.jpg

Découpage régional proposé par M. Debré (1946)
"Regional division proposed by Michel Debré (1946)"

img-3-small480.jpg

Découpage régional proposé par P. Fougeyrollas (1968)
"Regional division proposed by Pierre Fougeyrollas (1968)"

img-4-small480.jpg

And a bonus one:
Les frontières régionales les plus fréquentes au sein des découpages proposés entre le milieu du XIXe siècle et 1960
"Regional borders occurring the most often within proposed divisions between the 19th century and 1960"

img-6-small480.jpg