Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread

tbh every single of these Chinese ARs sans Tibet and Xinjiang has an overwhelming Han majority.
I don't think a 62% Han population in Guangxi can exactly be called a "overwhelming majority". Or for that matter, Qinghai with 54% Han population (70% with Hui), Guizhou with 62%, or Yunnan with 67% Han population (68.5% with Hui).

I don't think a 62% Han population in Guangxi can exactly be called a "overwhelming majority". Or for that matter, Qinghai with 54% Han population (70% with Hui), Guizhou with 62%, or Yunnan with 67% Han population (68.5% with Hui).
Point taken on Qinghai and Yunnan, but Guangxi was really more a result of weird early PRC ethnic policy than an actual ethnic minority, with Beijing lumping together Hans and Tong peoples into a new ZHuang ethnic group.

A video from EmperorTigerstar's youtube channel.

The segment I selected is about proposals on the partition of Quebec, were it to become independent.

I took the liberty of screencapping the proposals for an easier viewing. Sadly it was too big to be uploaded directly, so here is it via Imgur.

u3MWjjp.png

tbh every single of these Chinese ARs sans Tibet and Xinjiang has an overwhelming Han majority.
The Manchu AR, though, has hardly any Manchus compared to Han. Strictly speaking, it does probably contain a large proportion of Manchus, but it's probably at least 95% Han. The other ARs aren't anywhere near as one-sided. The problem is that Manchus are no longer a relevant ethnicity with anything approaching a unique homeland.

The Manchu AR, though, has hardly any Manchus compared to Han. Strictly speaking, it does probably contain a large proportion of Manchus, but it's probably at least 95% Han. The other ARs aren't anywhere near as one-sided. The problem is that Manchus are no longer a relevant ethnicity with anything approaching a unique homeland.
Technically, that fits the Mongols as well. Sure, almost all Mongols in China live in Inner Mongolia, but their population has been diluted by its own cultural centers (Hohhot, Baotou, Ulanhot, Chifeng, Hulunbuir, Tongliao) to a point where Inner Mongolia is only one-sixth Mongolian but four-fifths Han.

I took the liberty of screencapping the proposals for an easier viewing. Sadly it was too big to be uploaded directly, so here is it via Imgur.

u3MWjjp.png
i'm definitely still out of it from just waking up and not having my coffee yet, because i thought that was a division of Sub-Saharan Africa for waaay too long :p "waaay too long" comes out to like, 10-15 seconds, but that's a long time when it comes to my thought processes XD

Technically, that fits the Mongols as well. Sure, almost all Mongols in China live in Inner Mongolia, but their population has been diluted by its own cultural centers (Hohhot, Baotou, Ulanhot, Chifeng, Hulunbuir, Tongliao) to a point where Inner Mongolia is only one-sixth Mongolian but four-fifths Han.

So Inner Mongolia is as ethnoculturally/linguistically Han as the modern-day Manchurian provinces are? Has it been like that since the Manchurian provinces became so?

I also am curious on if there’s any real natural border between Mongolia and Inner Mongolia now, thinking on it.

So Inner Mongolia is as ethnoculturally/linguistically Han as the modern-day Manchurian provinces are? Has it been like that since the Manchurian provinces became so?
Just marginally less Han than the Manchurian provinces (Liaoning: 84% Han; Jilin: 91% Han; Heilongjiang: 95% Han). Yeah, it's been like that since around that time.

I also am curious on if there’s any real natural border between Mongolia and Inner Mongolia now, thinking on it.
Adding to what Frank said, you also have to note that Manchus tend to be more heavily Scinicized than Mongols do; and Manchu is practically extinct as a language today. A lot of these Manchus are also Descendents of Han Chinese Bannerman who were granted Manchu passports by the early PRC which paradoxically wanted to increase the number of ethnic minorities.

The Han Chinese population in Inner Mongolia is also heavily urbanized and concentrated in the cities and the Ordos region; whereas the Han Chinese population in Manchuria is much more spread out across the countryside. So considering that, Manchuria is much more culturally Han than Manchuria is.

so like, if you had to partition inner mongolia between han and mongol, how would you do it? would giving ordos to han china be enough to make inner mongolian majority mongol or would you also have to add panhandles stretching out to the cities? are there any neat lines of urbanisation you can follow? was there a time where this was more feasible? when was that?

so like, if you had to partition inner mongolia between han and mongol, how would you do it? would giving ordos to han china be enough to make inner mongolian majority mongol or would you also have to add panhandles stretching out to the cities? are there any neat lines of urbanisation you can follow? was there a time where this was more feasible? when was that?

There would be a lot of enclaves and exclaves.

k7pxco8z4tuz.png