President Forever and other 270soft games Megathread

Capture.JPG

This looks oddly familiar...

EDIT: Thank you PF. It would have been very hard to tell who won if you didn't tell me.
Capture.JPG

Le Morte d'Arthur

President John Fitzgerald Kennedy was a popular president. People liked him. They said Adlai Stevenson stood no chance at defeating him. But he remembered vividly when the unpopular President Chandler performed surprisingly well and came close to defeating him. Thus the seeds of paranoia was planted.

In the end, he cruised to a landslide over former VP Stevenson, as everybody expected. But he became more paranoid, seeing everybody turning against him. His brothers Bobby and Ted were Democrats, but they served in his Republican cabinet. He saw them as traitors, and increasingly cut them out of cabinet discussion.

Not even his vice-president was safe from his paranoia. Richard Milhous Nixon was JFK's two-term veep. Known as "Tricky Dick", he was nevertheless a faithful party man and his one act of defiance, that of questioning the President's decision to cut out his brothers, labelled him as a traitor in the President's eyes.

Increasingly isolated and paranoid, JFK became more certain of the need for a third term, to set everything right. To form a true Republican cabinet, with a loyal vice-president. Yes, everything would be right after he won a third term.

Pertubed of the president's isolation, VP Nixon nevertheless went ahead to announce his campaign for the Republican nomination, "to carry on the President's legacy". The very next day, his campaign was destroyed when the president came out of hiding to declare that he would run for a third term. The primaries were bitter, but JFK had the edge and at the convention, announced that he would choose Governor Madison of Virginia, a clear snub to Nixon.

On the Democratic side, the split between the progressives (former Vice-President Stevenson's faction) and populists (former President Chandler's) were healed with the Hubert Humphrey/William Jennings Bryan ticket, which promised to bring "Progress to the People".

With Nixon choosing to stay out, many Republican volunteers did so as well. This and the big focus on the Plains by the Humphrey/Bryan ticket, proved the final nail in the increasingly-warped coffin that was "Camelot".

In fact, the New Year Times went with the title of "Le Morte d'Arthur", to signify the end of the Kennedy era.

upload_2017-3-3_1-5-19-png.310418

So Gore against McCain in the 2000 scenario pretty much leads to a blowout.

Interesting to see Delaware go Republican in this.

Untitled.png

So somebody other than me made a PMI scenario (yay!), 1983, and I just knew I had to exploit play SDP-Liberal Alliance as my first go at it. Here it is:

TxipYom.png

The Liberal Revolution happened, UUP became the Official Opposition (@Gonzo), Thatcher lost her seat, and the Labour Party ceases to exist in Westminister.

Tory MPs that survived:
Robert Adley (Christchurch)
Anthony Nelson (Chichester)
Peter Horden (Horsham)
Richard Luce (Shoreham)
Richard Page (S.W. Hertfordshire) - Largest Margin of ~10%
Andrew MacKay (East Berkshire)
Ian Gilmore (Chesham and Amersham)

Gilmore is the only Tory name I can recognize, so I'd assume he becomes leader.

So Gore against McCain in the 2000 scenario pretty much leads to a blowout.

Interesting to see Delaware go Republican in this.
Interesting that Arizona has gone Democratic before Iowa, Montana, or Georgia. I'd think McCain would take his home state.

Delaware- well that just seems odd.

Who were the running mates in this scenario?

Interesting that Arizona has gone Democratic before Iowa, Montana, or Georgia. I'd think McCain would take his home state.

Delaware- well that just seems odd.

Who were the running mates in this scenario?

Gore's running mate was Russ Fiengold, & McCain's was Fred Thompson.

But yeah, the scenario was a bit of an odd one. :coldsweat: