Do you approve or disapprove of the way that Douglas MacArthur is handling his job as president?

• Approve

Votes: 199 72.6%
  • Disapprove

Votes: 75 27.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apologies for only just discovering this thread though if MacArthur is only a single term (rather than a two term) president in this scenario then does that open up a window for Eisenhower (or someone of similar ideological bent) to potentially run in 56 and 60 ITTL?
Welcome!

Ike could have run in '56, but he didn't want to. He was never very keen about running in '52, basically had to be dragged into it by his supporters (and it is hard to see such a movement becoming as large as it was again after his '52 run was unsuccessful), and he was getting old besides (66 in 1956).

- BNC

Great TL. I am not sure how much of a peaceful world this will lead to. The activities of the CIA and the FBI may be possibly reduced but the fact that the US invaded Egypt may give future administrations more of a license for war especially to prevent a country or another from becoming communist. So instead of CIA adventurism in South America. you may see adventurism by the US armed forces.
I also imagine this would potentially lead to more nuclear proliferation as countries now fear being invaded.
I also think this would also significantly weaken the notion of neutrality from the superpowers and movements such as the Non-aligned movement as I have difficulty imagining France being a leader of countries with a colonial past considering its own significant and ongoing colonial links.

Last edited:
Great TL. I am not sure how much of a peaceful world this will lead to. The activities of the CIA and the FBI may be possibly reduced but the fact that the US invaded Egypt may give future administrations more of a license for war especially to prevent a country or another from becoming communist. So instead of CIA adventurism in South America. you may see adventurism by the US armed forces.
I also imagine this would potentially lead to more nuclear proliferation as countries now fear being invaded.
I also think this would also significantly weaken the notion of neutrality from the superpowers and movements such as the Non-aligned movement as I have difficulty imagining France being a leader of countries with a colonial past considering its own significant and ongoing colonial links.
Perhaps but a future administration could just as easily seek to reinvigorate the CIA and allow them to proceed as they did OTL. It depends on how provocative the Cold War gets and how aggressive or gullible the US presidents are.

This TL has been a fun ride, I hope we can get an Epilogue of some kind to see how the rest of the Cold War plays out ITTL.
Personally, I think it's better if there's no one canonical conclusion. There're many ways it could go, and we can argue (based in part off our political beliefs) what would be most likely, and I'm glad for the uncertainty.

Kick
Think combating the T34/85 will have to wait until Churchill's and Cromwell's get there. The Sherman did all right, mostly down to the crews, it was not quite on a par with the T34 with it's smaller 76mm, having any Firefly's on hand would tip thing well in favour to the UN, yet not too many about.
Best have enough tanks of your own until a big attack
The 76mm Sherman's were using HVAP rounds that could kill Tiger I's from the front at normal combat ranges, and destroyed many T-34/85's. The problem with the Firefly was the gun was too big for the turret and had to be laid on its side. The cramped space made the gun inaccurate. Now the M26/46 with their 90mm guns blew T-34/85's away, and the Centurian was a far better tank than the Churchill, or Cromwell. By the time of Korea, the Centurian was armed with the QF 20 pounder, which was a big improvement over the 17 pounders.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
The 76mm Sherman's were using HVAP rounds that could kill Tiger I's from the front at normal combat ranges, and destroyed many T-34/85's. The problem with the Firefly was the gun was too big for the turret and had to be laid on its side. The cramped space made the gun inaccurate. Now the M26/46 with their 90mm guns blew T-34/85's away, and the Centurian was a far better tank than the Churchill, or Cromwell. By the time of Korea, the Centurian was armed with the QF 20 pounder, which was a big improvement over the 17 pounders.
720 days?

You KNOW better than to do this.

Kicked for a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.