On a Tall White Ship

Diamond said:
I may have mentioned this to you already, but one that I've found useful is:

The Oxford History of the Crusades, edited by Jonathan Riley-Smith, published by (surprise!) Oxford University Press, 1999. It contains fifteen essays ranging from the mindset of Crusaders to popular songs sung by Crusaders, to architecture, the Military Orders, etc., etc. None of the essays are vastly in depth, but they are great overviews, and the 'further reading' list is the most comprehensive I've seen.
I think you might have mentioned this. Still mindset is secondary to figuring out the history and divergences that seem likely.

Diamond

Banned
Othniel said:
I think you might have mentioned this. Still mindset is secondary to figuring out the history and divergences that seem likely.
Yeah, but once you develop this beyond biographies and dates, it might be useful... Plus, you can never have too many reference books! :D

Diamond said:
Yeah, but once you develop this beyond biographies and dates, it might be useful... Plus, you can never have too many reference books! :D
Wouldn't happen until I get into the fictional charcters anyways.:p

Ok a [very] Rough rendering of the land of the woman raped by a god in a bull suit. Its right after Heinrich der Löwe was crowned.

01OATWS.PNG

Cool map.

Any hints of future plans? Cyrenaica looks pretty empty; perhaps the Normans take it in order to menace Egypt or the Almohades.

MerryPrankster said:
Cool map.

Any hints of future plans? Cyrenaica looks pretty empty; perhaps the Normans take it in order to menace Egypt or the Almohades.
Cyrenecia is always been the most ignorable place in history. :p I doubt Eastern Libya gets colonized, for something other than a trading base.

MP, and SK, I do have a good reason for Tunsia. For one if you control both sides of a strait you can control trade between those two points. With control Tunsia we get the Western and Eastern Med. seperated by a Sicillian power controlling trade with that revenue the Sicillians can afford to consolidate their power and cement their postioning against rival states.

You don't need to justify picking Tunisia. I'm told its very defensible, plus as you said, it gives the Normans the ability to put a choke-hold on the Med.

Will there be a Frederick II of Sicily in TTL? I rather like him.

You don't need to justify picking Tunisia. I'm told its very defensible, plus as you said, it gives the Normans the ability to put a choke-hold on the Med.

Will there be a Frederick II of Sicily in TTL? I rather like him.
Its already a different bloodline. I chose to go through the elder brother rather than have him die in battle for a more stable Sicilly.

Sorry folks, I'm going to have to pull out of this timeline competely until I take a few classes on this era. I just don't know enough to substain this...

I may however decide to go through a brief timeline of history until I can place this in an era I'm more famillar with...and then go back when I know more and edit the timeline accordingly.

For now I'm going to run a few requests for the map makers;

Sense Barbarosa is still around this map would be useful to translate into a more editable form;

barbarossa-germ.jpg

France Control is only what it was in 1180 on this map. Poitou and Gascony will soon sperate North-South. The rebllion against Phillip Aug. is about to happen...
france-growth.jpg

Here's the map of the poltical situtation in Italy;

12citaly.jpg

And here's a picture of the second and thrid crusades, of which the second crusade only happened.

2ndcde.jpg

All Maps from the Midieval Sourcebook.

Anyone want to take a stab at that map?

Oh well, the next big event I was planning on leaking into was the Vassal Rebellion, and the Cathar Crusade. Also I was going to give Merry and friends a look at this timeline's 12th ecumenical council for a look at the fate of the Waldesians. I was going to call the entry 'Of Faith and Phillip'.

After that I wanted to deal with the direction of the HRE, being more united at this time than it would be in OTL. I want to discuss the fate of the Lombard League, and ask for you who wish me to continue this timeline in any fashion to make a case for what you want in the future of the timeline. (not the way its written, as I know the entries are too short for you.) I will not leave anybody uncredited if they inspire me.

If anyone wants to go through Grey Wolf's Royal Famly trees, and make them to fit this timeline they are welecome to...

When this timeline reaches the year 1500 I will continue this timeline, however I'll go back and make revisions to this one.:eek: As much as I hate ruining the intengrity of a timeline's orginal form it will need lot of editing to make it both plausible and more enjoyable. I hope the reconsideration will provide you with as much entertainment as this one has, and hopefully continues to do so...

Well Othniel you can always jury rig one of my maps from the HRE TL if you want (not many medieval TLs around so I don't mind sharing). The maps to the Holy Roman Empire that I have and elsewhere should be pretty easy to edit in.

Oh and please pray that God sends me an expert on Papal history. These guys died within five years of being crowned, it ridiculous.

Well Othniel you can always jury rig one of my maps from the HRE TL if you want (not many medieval TLs around so I don't mind sharing). The maps to the Holy Roman Empire that I have and elsewhere should be pretty easy to edit in.
I have a problem with so many thin lines.:p Clumsy hands you see.. Its part of the appeal in using the big map I do for those North America centered ones. I've been avioding carving up stuff for a reason.:p

I have a problem with so many thin lines.:p Clumsy hands you see.. Its part of the appeal in using the big map I do for those North America centered ones. I've been avioding carving up stuff for a reason.:p

Eh you can always just go over the thin lines with a nice big thick one. :p