Oh I Wish I Was in Dixie: A Different North America

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by RoxyLikeAPuma, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Goweegie2 That girl whose content is bad

Yeah. I've collabed with him on this TL before so maybe I could whip up a Texas-related infobox for TTL and ask him if it's good

RoxyLikeAPuma likes this.
  2. LoneStarCowboy Texan Nationalist

I'd like that :p

RoxyLikeAPuma and Goweegie2 like this.
  3. Threadmarks: Texas and LBJ

RoxyLikeAPuma Well-Known Member

Ask and ye shall receive.

The Republic of Texas is a Unitary Presidential Republic that won its independence from Mexico in the 1830's & 40's. The young republic fought a long and hard-fought war for their independence and them attempted to join their neighbor to the east the Federated States of Dixie, however, the threat of another war with Mexico spoiled any potential union for the Dixians. Opposition in Dixie led by then-president Henry Clay and his National Party prevented Texas from joining.

Texas modeled its new government off of Dixie except with a 3-year presidency with no term limits and a Senate that was originally appointed by the president and approved by the House of Delegates. The Senate is now elected by Proportional Represent with lists chosen by the parties of which in Texas there are only 2 major ones: the Democratic Party (which gets its name from the Dixie Democratic Party) with Sam Houston as its first major politician and the Liberal Party which is descended from Stephen Austin's Republican Party.

Lyndon B. Johnson is the longest serving president in Texas history winning an unparalleled 6 consecutive presidential elections starting in 1955 until his death in 1973 where he was succeeded by Senate President Ralph Yarborough. Johnson is one of the most popular presidents in Texas history being known for greatly expanding voting and civil rights for racial minorities as well as passing wide sweeping welfare and healthcare programs.

In recent years Texas has been controlled by the Democratic Party. Since the retirement of Liberal president Ann Richards in 2002, the Democrats have controlled the Presidency, the Senate, and the House except for 2009-2012 with a Liberal House and Liberal Chris Bell as the president.

Texas.png LBJ.png

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  4. LoneStarCowboy Texan Nationalist

You mean 1836?

Goweegie2 and RoxyLikeAPuma like this.
  5. LoneStarCowboy Texan Nationalist

Also, how did Texas get Oklahoma?

6. Goweegie2 That girl whose content is bad

I love it! But there's one thing:
    Did you mean a 3-year presidency?

RoxyLikeAPuma likes this.
  7. RoxyLikeAPuma Well-Known Member

Yes fixed now.

Oklahoma was disputed between the Commonwealth, Dixie, and Texas for years with several small skirmishes taking place there until the signing of the Oklahoma Treaty in 1868. Texas gave up its claims above the 20th parallel in return for Oklahoma, the border between Texas and Louisiana was fixed, and the COA and Dixie settled navigation rights up the Mississippi.

Goweegie2 and Gerbbro like this.
  8. LoneStarCowboy Texan Nationalist

Ah. Makes sense. Also, I wanna know more about that Lone Star Banner anthem. That seems very interesting

9. RoxyLikeAPuma Well-Known Member

I thought of it as maybe like the Texan version of the Star Spangled Banner. About the flag flying during a big battle in the Independence War. Maybe the Alamo or something along those lines.

Goweegie2 likes this.
  10. LoneStarCowboy Texan Nationalist

Ah. I have "Texas, Our Texas" as my TL's Texas anthem, but I really want a different one, so that interested me

11. Threadmarks: Political Parties of Texas

Goweegie2 That girl whose content is bad

Here's a contribution I made to this TL, the political parties of Texas

Texas parties.png

12. LoneStarCowboy Texan Nationalist

Nice! Also, noticed Beto doesn't have his nickname in the Liberal box

13. Goweegie2 That girl whose content is bad

Yeah lol, I decided to have him go by his legal name ITTL

King Jasper and RoxyLikeAPuma like this.
  14. LoneStarCowboy Texan Nationalist

Hey, I don't mind :p

15. RoxyLikeAPuma Well-Known Member

Updated this one as well with a new map

2019 Dakota Provincial Election Wiki.png

16. RoxyLikeAPuma Well-Known Member

Update #3
    2019 Superior Election Wiki 2.png

17. Threadmarks: 2018 Texas House of Delegates Election

RoxyLikeAPuma Well-Known Member

2018 Texas House of Delegates Election

In the 2018 Elections, the Liberal Party and their leader Ben Ray Luján of Santa Fe while failing to secure a majority, managed to gain back much of the ground that they lost in the 2015 Democratic landslide year. However most of the seats that they gained weren't in the rural areas that they held six-years ago, they were instead mostly in the larger cities of Houston, Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio (places that had once been Democratic strongholds) showing a shifting electorate of cities moving towards the Liberal Party.

2018 Texas House Election.png

2018 House Election.png

18. Bennett Human Time-Waster

Could we get some more info about the Commonwealth of America? It really interests me. Also, could we perhaps get the flags of either Dixie or America (or both)?

19. Goweegie2 That girl whose content is bad

Just curious, have you at all decided who represents the Houghton and Hancock-Keweenaw ridings? Because that's the area I'm from and I'm curious who's (badly) representing my home area in Sudbury

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    King Jasper and RoxyLikeAPuma like this.
  20. RoxyLikeAPuma Well-Known Member

I'm currently working on the 2019 election for the Commonwealth so more of it should come somewhat soon. And I guess I could make an infobox for the country soon as well. I've already done the Flag of Dixie and for the CoA I'm still not sure (I'm not very good at coming up with flag ideas tbh).

I haven't really put any thought into who represents what district beyond the leaders. Especially not for the Canadian parts of the province where I have less political knowledge.

King Jasper and Goweegie2 like this.