Oh I Wish I Was in Dixie: A Different North America

Status
Not open for further replies.
Political Parties of America
I like them! I expected the DPP to be a bit more right-wing and the greens to be more centrist, but I can't say I'm upset that neither of those turned out to be true

Although wait, Sarah Palin is the DPP's leader? Oh no...

2019 Commonwealth of America federal election poll
F for Labor, but that's close enough it could become a hung parliament so who knows, a Labor-Progressive or Labor-Progressive-Green coalition could be on the horizon. It's your TL though, and your TL is excellent, so even if the result would disappoint me if I lived in your TL I'd still like it

Michigan's UP and Northern Ontario make up their own province of Superior with the UP now being known as Superior's LP.
Hell yeah! I love it. I can give you the names of some obscure UP politicians if you wanna include them in your TL somehow

Maybe you could make Scott Dianda a member of Madigan's cabinet or something, he's a pretty well-known local politician up here and up until last election was my state rep. It might be hard to find good pics of him though so if you can't then it's fine if you don't

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Dianda
https://ballotpedia.org/Scott_Dianda

Last edited:
I like them! I expected the DPP to be a bit more right-wing and the greens to be more centrist, but I can't say I'm upset that neither of those turned out to be true

Although wait, Sarah Palin is the DPP's leader? Oh no...

F for Labor, but that's close enough it could become a hung parliament so who knows, a Labor-Progressive or Labor-Progressive-Green coalition could be on the horizon. It's your TL though, and your TL is excellent, so even if the result would disappoint me if I lived in your TL I'd still like it

Hell yeah! I love it. I can give you the names of some obscure UP politicians if you wanna include them in your TL somehow

Maybe you could make Scott Dianda a member of Madigan's cabinet or something, he's a pretty well-known local politician up here and up until last election was my state rep. It might be hard to find good pics of him though so if you can't then it's fine if you don't

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Dianda
https://ballotpedia.org/Scott_Dianda
Labor's in a pretty odd position at the moment where the party is fairly popular and has decent approval ratings, but Madigan himself is pretty unpopular by most segments of the population (though his job approval is much higher than his favorability). There were murmurings of ditching Madigan, but everyone still remembers what happened that last time they did that so nothing ever came of it. The hopes are now that voters will still support the party even if they don't like who is leading it.

And thank you! I probably should make a cabinet for Madigan at some point too. This is the website I usually use to find local politicians if I need them, and I'll always welcome any other people you want to suggest because I also want to start making provincial elections for the Commonwealth too.

Labor's in a pretty odd position at the moment where the party is fairly popular and has decent approval ratings, but Madigan himself is pretty unpopular by most segments of the population (though his job approval is much higher than his favorability). There were murmurings of ditching Madigan, but everyone still remembers what happened that last time they did that so nothing ever came of it. The hopes are now that voters will still support the party even if they don't like who is leading it.
That gives me an idea, maybe Labor can narrowly hold onto their majority in the 2019 election but then afterwards there's a leadership spill that leads to Madigan getting ditched in favor of someone else, maybe even Dianda lol. But if you decide not to put him in Madigan's cabinet you could make him the Labor Premier of Superior

And thank you! I probably should make a cabinet for Madigan at some point too. This is the website I usually use to find local politicians if I need them, and I'll always welcome any other people you want to suggest because I also want to start making provincial elections for the Commonwealth too.
Yeah it looks like that site only shows incumbent state legislators, and Dianda got term-limited in 2018 and tried unsuccessfully to run for State Senate that same year

Another idea I just came up with is to make this guy (who my mom met irl while he was campaigning for State Rep) Labor Premier of Superior if you put Dianda in Madigan's cabinet. Another idea is you could make this guy and this guy past Liberal Premiers of Superior, with the latter maybe even being the current Liberal leader in Superior. They're both (in)famous politicians here in the UP

Edit: and this guy could be DPP leader in Superior as well

Edit 2: this guy could be a Liberal or DPP rising star in Superior, this guy could be a former Labor Premier of Superior, and this woman could be a Labor rising star in Superior

Last edited:
2019 Dakota Provincial Election
2019 Dakota Provincial Election

The 2019 Dakota Provincial Election saw 8-year Premier Mike Rounds losing his majority to become the 2nd largest party in the Dakota Legislative Assembly. Stephanie Herseth of the Farmer-Labor Party became the new Premier after she formed a coalition with the Progressive Party to achieve a majority and form a government.
2019 Dakota Provincial Election Wiki.png

Awesome creative work! Who’s the current governor of Province of California and New York as well as Northern Missouri?

How would Christian Right fare in Dixie?

How Kirsten Gillibrand doing in this TL?

Awesome creative work! Who’s the current governor of Province of California and New York as well as Northern Missouri?

How would Christian Right fare in Dixie?

How Kirsten Gillibrand doing in this TL?
Ed Royce of the Liberal Party is the current Premier of California (California is a swing province rather than being safe left-wing as in OTL).
Christine Quinn of the Labor Party is the current Premier of New York.
Northern Missouri is part of Iowa and the current Premier is Andy McKean of the Liberal Party.

The Christian Right used to be the main demographic of the Democratic Party, but as the Democrats have faded over time, much have left to join the National Party causing some friction with the more traditional National members.

Kirsten Gillibrand is currently a Labor MP from Columbia-Dutchess and is a member of Mike Madigan's cabinet.

An extension of one of my previous suggestions: if Scott Dianda serves in Madigan's cabinet he should be Minister of Energy. IOTL he is only vaguely pro-renewables but the reason I'm suggesting this is because IOTL he spent most of his time in the Michigan State House as part of the Energy Committee

2018 Superior Provincial Election

In the 2018 Superior General Election, incumbent Labor Premier Ken Summers, who replaced retiring Premier Ken Boshkoff earlier that year, managed to narrowly hold his party's absolute majority to keep Labor control over Superior provincial government. By winning Cochran West by 51 votes over the Progressives, Labor was able to prevent a minority government and possible coalition with the Progressives, who along with the DPP saw gains in the 2018 election.
2019 Superior Election Wiki 2.png

Last edited:

In the 2018 Superior General Election, incumbent Labor Premier Ken Summers, who replaced retiring Premier Ken Boshkoff earlier that year, managed to narrowly hold his party's absolute majority to keep Labor control over Superior provincial government. By winning Cochran West by 51 votes over the Progressives, Labor was able to prevent a minority government and possible coalition with the Progressives, who along with the DPP saw gains in the 2018 election.
View attachment 491191
It's excellent! One slight typo though, it's Baraga, not Baranga

2019 Virginia Senate Special Election
2019 Virginia Senate Special Election

In the 2019 Virginia Senate special election, Unionist candidate Natalie Tennant defeated National candidate State Senator Frank Wagner. Tennant, who was Virginia Secretary of State at the time, was appointed by Governor Armstrong to fill the Senate vacancy left by Joe Manchin who was appointed as Secretary of the Interior by President Mitch Landrieu in July 2018.

Virginia Special Election.png

I really can't emphasize how much I'm enjoying the sheer detail you put into this. Also fascinating to see the special elections take place and a Francophone candidate make headway. Look forward to the runoffs. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.