Of Rajahs and Hornbills: A timeline of Brooke Sarawak

That war in Maguindanao and Sulu is brutal as hell, and something tells me that it will spill over to Italian Borneo. Rizal in the Congo, though, is seven different kinds of awesome.

Luna had a job as a chemist in Manila as early as 1894. What the heck did he do to get exiled? I think this only means he goes the radical path much earlier than OTL. It's a good thing for the ATL revolution militarily, but probably a bad thing politically.

I like the part about Rizal. Now's he's gonna be remembered as "The Great Brown African". :p

And the funniest part? Rizal is actually the kind of guy to do such. He's that idealistic.

That war in Maguindanao and Sulu is brutal as hell, and something tells me that it will spill over to Italian Borneo.

Some would say that the war has spilled over to Italian Borneo. That is, if Abdullah Salleh's insurrection/piracy is counted into the conflict. In a broader sense, the war will make itself felt across the East Indies and to Sundaland, especially since the region is connected though the Chinese trading network.That said, that effects may take time to metastasize beyond Maguindanao and Sulu.

Methinks this will backfire on the Spanish...

Exiled Filipino nationalists jump-starting an independence movement in the Congo? Yes please.:)

It sounds like Rizal is going to create a Congolese national conscience (and possibly help forge a local Ilustrado equivalent).

How could it not backfire? This Men will simply turn into leaders of Anti-Colonialism that will later on plague all European nations in the game, not just Spain.

Rizal in the Congo, though, is seven different kinds of awesome.

I like the part about Rizal. Now's he's gonna be remembered as "The Great Brown African". :p

And the funniest part? Rizal is actually the kind of guy to do such. He's that idealistic.

Haha, Rizal isn't the sort of person to give up when confronted with injustice, and I think he would've tried to think of something if he was confronted with King Leopold's terror state IOTL. Future historians would probably see him and his friends as the "Nationalists of the Two Continents", sort of like Garibaldi.

He and his exiled cohorts didn't mean to start a Congolese national movement, at least not initially. When the meetings began, they were more of a talking shop to gather some information about their home country, as well as to evaluate their conditions in their new home. As the Congo became more organized and packed with concessionaires, they began meeting to discuss colonial reforms and possible ways of shaking up the administration. By 1895, word of the region's abuses would have filtered through to San Sebastián, and the Ilustrados are just starting to confront that.

Given their ideals, the coming Congolese movement (and I don't think it's a spoiler to say the Philippine exiles will start it) would probably end up as anti-colonial, but keep in mind that we are seeing the very beginning of an opposition force. It will be a labour of many decades, not least because all Ilustrados are confined to the city at this point and are denied passage up the river. Plus, from Rizal's words, the exiles are still constrained by the Spanish authorities: there is a curfew on most days, and any meetings are regarded as highly suspect. The Congo basin is also undeveloped at this point: most Congolese don't even know there is even a Philippines out there, let alone Philippine exiles.

But given time, and a bit of luck, something will sprang up from these meetings. There is already a local Congolese from the seminary at the meeting, so it won't be long for the exiles' names spread through local word of mouth. It may take a while, though. For now, Spain rules.

And before I forgot: San Sebastián = OTL Kinshasa.

do the Congolese not care as to the difference between the Spanish and the Belgians? Or are the Philippine exiles deliberately trying dodge the issue?

ITTL Belgium never got the Congo, the Congress rewarded it too Spain.

Dare I hope Spain has not been as bad as Belgium was? I admit despite precedent I had some hope the Spanish colonial empire with this renewed lease as it were, would get its act together. So, how different is the Philippines situation on the ground from OTL?

Herr Frage is right; the Congo Basin is awarded to Spain ITTL on account of Leopold II's sudden stroke and death. So far, the colonial map of Africa is very rough, and there is still a lot of fluidity in regards to the spheres of influence; Britain will try it's hardest to gain the Great Lakes states regardless of everyone's plans, and everyone wants to carve up or influence West Africa and the Congo borderlands for themselves.

Spain is, sadly, still ruled by notions of Africans as racially inferior, though they may administer the Congo differently when compared with Belgium IOTL. For one, they may be more acceptable to mestizo immigration from Latin America and the Philippines as foreign labour, and they be more amenable to education and local development than the Belgians, though that is a low bar.

As for the Philippines, things are going along a bit faster than OTL, at least in Luzon and the Visayas. The riches of the Congo are partly being used to develop the main cities and to build regional infrastructure; there is more developed railway at Luzon, for one. There are more companies setting up there, and there is a larger working class (of the more resource-extractive than the industrial kind). Sulu and Maguinadano are a lot different, with local indigenous tribes now encouraged to fight against the Muslims of the two sultanates, with the result being a breakdown in local inter-religious-tribal relations.

Luna had a job as a chemist in Manila as early as 1894. What the heck did he do to get exiled? I think this only means he goes the radical path much earlier than OTL. It's a good thing for the ATL revolution militarily, but probably a bad thing politically.

I would say he got radicalized during his education years and wrote an anti-Spanish tract that led him to be exiled. He still knows how to handle swordsmanship and defense, which is why he became the only Ilustrado to become a police officer in San Sebastián's local force. Luna's still being watched by the higher-ups, though, and any infraction could result in serious trouble for him and his exiled friends.

As for the ATL revolution, let's just say that due to more and more important men being imprisoned or exiled, it may end up very different compared with OTL.

A small nitpick, in the update, where it reads "Illustrados", it should be "Ilustrados".

Keep up the good work, Al-numbers! :)

Ah, I'll amend the update, then. And thank you! :)

A series of interludes next, with our focus coming back to Sarawak. Then, it's a few more updates to round-off the 1890's, then off to the Great War.

Spain is, sadly, still ruled by notions of Africans as racially inferior, though they may administer the Congo differently when compared with Belgium IOTL. For one, they may be more acceptable to mestizo immigration from Latin America and the Philippines as foreign labour, and they be more amenable to education and local development than the Belgians, though that is a low bar.

That sounds quite plausible. A Spanish administration might attempt an earlier transition from harvesting wild vine rubber to plantations based on South American rubber trees - the trees had been successfully planted outside Brazil by this time - and recruit metsizos who already speak Spanish and have experience in the work. I'm pretty sure that the immigrant laborers recruited to work in the Amazon during the rubber boom included people from elsewhere in South America, and there were Bolivians working in the disputed Acre region, so the labor pool would be there.

This could affect colonial policy toward the Africans in any of several ways. On the one hand, there would be far less Congo Free State-style horror. On the other hand, if Africans aren't needed for the labor force, the colonial administration might follow a policy of neglect toward them, benign or otherwise. I'm imagining a situation somewhat like Fiji, where the indigenous people weren't forced to work on the sugar plantations and were largely left to govern themselves, but where they effectively lost their commercially-valuable land and were given little or no encouragement to better themselves through education. I could see the Spanish government in San Sebastian saying "if we don't need the Congolese to work for us, why waste money on schools?" If so, education might be one of the early projects of Rizal's movement.

Another question is whether the Latin American laborers (and/or Filipinos, though the colonial administrators might be wary of bringing them into the same country as the political exiles) would be recruited as families or single men. If the latter, they'll marry into the local African populations very quickly, and there would be a considerable mixed-race class within a generation.

I would say he got radicalized during his education years and wrote an anti-Spanish tract that led him to be exiled. He still knows how to handle swordsmanship and defense, which is why he became the only Ilustrado to become a police officer in San Sebastián's local force. Luna's still being watched by the higher-ups, though, and any infraction could result in serious trouble for him and his exiled friends.

Antonio is still probably a bit moderate here, IMO. OTL he did reject the Katipunan's aims, but still imprisoned because of his known reformist stance. Thinking he was betrayed, he actually sold out some of his collegues out of anger, only to realize it was a mistake. His later actions in history was motivated by repentance.

Anyway, is Juan Luna still in Spain? He can actually bail his brother out of Congo and, maybe, follow his martial destiny in (ironically) Belgium. Or probably Germany. ;)

That sounds quite plausible. A Spanish administration might attempt an earlier transition from harvesting wild vine rubber to plantations based on South American rubber trees - the trees had been successfully planted outside Brazil by this time - and recruit metsizos who already speak Spanish and have experience in the work. I'm pretty sure that the immigrant laborers recruited to work in the Amazon during the rubber boom included people from elsewhere in South America, and there were Bolivians working in the disputed Acre region, so the labor pool would be there.

This could affect colonial policy toward the Africans in any of several ways. On the one hand, there would be far less Congo Free State-style horror. On the other hand, if Africans aren't needed for the labor force, the colonial administration might follow a policy of neglect toward them, benign or otherwise. I'm imagining a situation somewhat like Fiji, where the indigenous people weren't forced to work on the sugar plantations and were largely left to govern themselves, but where they effectively lost their commercially-valuable land and were given little or no encouragement to better themselves through education. I could see the Spanish government in San Sebastian saying "if we don't need the Congolese to work for us, why waste money on schools?" If so, education might be one of the early projects of Rizal's movement.

Spanish policy in regards to the Congolese may actually backswing as time progresses. When vine rubber was discovered, the colonial administration coerced many local men into tapping the substance, leading to the village abuses that were the talking point of the Ilustrados ITTL (though they'll still be leagues less worse than the OTL Free State). In time though, word of the terrible working conditions would filter out from Africa and cause a public uproar, forcing San Sebastián to recruit mestizos from elsewhere and cease hiring Africans. Your suggestion of the Bolivians makes sense, though I can also see some recruitment in Colombia, Peru, and Ecuador.

Afterwards, the rubber companies will try to distance themselves from using local labour, hoping to wash off their hands and forget the past. Rizal - and many former workers - will make sure they won't.

Another question is whether the Latin American laborers (and/or Filipinos, though the colonial administrators might be wary of bringing them into the same country as the political exiles) would be recruited as families or single men. If the latter, they'll marry into the local African populations very quickly, and there would be a considerable mixed-race class within a generation.

The Spanish won't be placing any Philippine workers in the Congo. South America is closer and all things considered, the officials know having a such labour force is dangerous idea with the nationalists close by. As for the labourers that do come, their makeup would consist of single men with families back home, though I can see some labourers carrying their families over upon their release from their contracts. Combined with the Congolese and the exiled Ilustrados, the culture of the basin ITTL would make many sociologists go loopy. XD

Antonio is still probably a bit moderate here, IMO. OTL he did reject the Katipunan's aims, but still imprisoned because of his known reformist stance. Thinking he was betrayed, he actually sold out some of his collegues out of anger, only to realize it was a mistake. His later actions in history was motivated by repentance.

Huh. Let's say he drifted too close with some of the more radical Ilustrados ITTL or made friends with a few of them out of coincidence or circumstance. This made him a target by the authorities during their crackdown of the nationalists, and it would also explain why he was amendable to Rizal and his planned meeting instead of telling off to the higher-ups. Does that sound more likely?

Anyway, is Juan Luna still in Spain? He can actually bail his brother out of Congo and, maybe, follow his martial destiny in (ironically) Belgium. Or probably Germany. ;)

Unfortunately, I already planned a different ending to officer Antonio (and the irony of it all? It won't be because of armed violence. :coldsweat:) but his brother Juan could well have heard of his predicament and tried to get him out of there. He's still a painter and has ties to the Spanish elite, but he'll go through a different family life than OTL, and may become a leader of a different sort.

Royal Narratives (Part I of II)
nRHdvYI.jpg
vVY9ZMU.jpg

Johor House, London, United Kingdom. 28th May 1895

It was one thing to hear of the Sundaland monarchies. It was another to see them in the flesh.

For Aguobasimwin Ovonramwe, it was a study in contrast. Since his hasty arrival from Benin City, there has been no shortage of stares and whispers directed to him and his entourage by the London-folk. Some of the more scurrilous papers were even touting him as a hideously resplendent and uncultured envoy who is pleading for peace with the British government. He knew that most British men do not take their hats off to him in honest respect or for the women to curtsey in his immediate presence.

But they usually do when presented with the man sitting before him.

“I hope you like the sago balls.” Sultan Abu Bakar replied, gesturing to the centre dish that was nestled amongst the overwhelming tea spread between them.

“Thank you.” He answered. Truth be told, Ovonramwe was a little hesitant to dine in private with the Malay ruler. Even from Africa, the man had a reputation that far exceeded his stature, and while his flamboyancy may have been curtailed as of late, Abu Bakar had a way of upsetting things. Just recently, he caused a scandal by appearing before the Queen at Balmoral in a highlander’s kilt! [1] Victoria may be amused by it, but Ovonramwe thought the sultan looked plain stupid.

Still, there is no one else better we could turn to. Father nearly balked when word got out of his royal tour and we barely had any time to arrange matters at hand. If we want to know how keep ourselves free, a flamboyant ruler to ask is better than none at all.

Coming to the present, he looked at the ostentatious spread of food on the table. Locating the centre dish, he saw that it was piled high with what looked like green gelatinous balls dusted with stringy white sugar [2]. With some hesitation, Ovonramwe picked one ball from the pile, looked at it in curiosity, and bit off a small chunk. The tang of sweetness that burst in his mouth was somewhat surprising, but even more so was the brown liquid that now dripped from the bitten portion of the treat.

“Oh, my –“

“Oh, I should have warned you about that.” His dining host exclaimed, hurriedly handing his handkerchief to the prince. Thinking quickly, he encased his bitten treat into one corner of the linen before swiping off the liquid stain that dripped on his clothes with the rest. “I am so sorry. They contain liquid palm sugar, but it can be washed off. I can instruct the launders if you want an immediate change.”

The incongruity of his words with the situation forced a laugh from the Beninese. “Do your sweets always contain surprises like these?”

Abu Bakar chuckled. “Not always. Just the very good ones.”

Something of the event seemed to break the ice, and Ovonramwe wanted to take the most of it. “So is this how you charm the heads of Europe and America? With food?”

“Oh, this and few more.” His diner replied, eyes sharp. “Most of the sago you see are actually from Sarawak, but I assure you that half the pepper you see in all the London stores are grown in my state. Having a wild resource also helps, and my region supplied a lot of wild rubber to the world. Why, I believe the desk set your father received a few years back was made with gutta-percha! Was the set coloured in shades of black?” [3]

“I think so.” The prince mused, remembering the gift that was presented at the royal court by the governor of Lagos. “So, you sold your nation’s produce to gain it freedom?”

“Almost.” Mused the Malay monarch. “Above all else, and this is important, you need to give a reason why these European nations don’t want you. You can gain all the wealth there is in the world, but that means nothing to the soldiers who can shoot better, and in any case, acquiring wealth itself can make you to become a target! No, you need to convince them that your kingdom is either not worth controlling, or too valuable to be controlled. For instance, my state of Johor is between the Malacca Straits and the South China Sea, so whoever controls it can also control the movement of trade and armies across the oceans. I used that fact to argue for Johor’s freedom; I made my home too valuable to be under anyone else.”

Ovonramwe was silent. Make the Europeans to not want home… He and his ministerial group have been puzzling over the question since before they set off from West Africa. Benin was a rich state, but it is small, and that wealth has also brought envious eyes from abroad. His father – the Oba – was certain that Britain would one day take over the kingdom and snuff out the dynasty, which was why he jumped at the idea of a recognition tour when he heard of other nations doing so. We are trying, but I can’t see the way forward…

It was only later that he noticed Abu Bakar staring at him with a calm look on his face.

“I am sure you will find a way. In the meantime, how do you feel towards Indian curry?”

FNTVBXQ.jpg
uj7SKej.jpg

Istana Besar, Johor Bahru, Johor Sultanate. 27 June 1896

“…And you said that!? How did he answer?”

“He was silent. I broke it by asking about his preferences on Indian curry.”

“Ahaha!! Only you can bring food into a discourse regarding sovereignty.” Prince David Kalakaua chortled, his tea momentarily forgotten. As the main representative of the Kingdom of Hawaii, he was obligated to be formal to whomsoever he meets, a decorum he had toed throughout the length of his current world tour. But this is Johor, and I am on safe ground. Besides, what are formalities in the company of friends?

Gazing across the private tearoom, out the windows, Kalakaua was impressed at just how much had changed since his last sojourn to Malaya. Johor Bahru had become quite the crowded city, with brick shophouses popping up alongside gabled temple roofs and whitewashed minarets. Besides that, the palace was furnished with more drapes and imported goods than he remembered, and the sterling silverware he just used spoke of the deep pockets the sultan had in hand, even though the royal court tried to curtail his spending.

Coming back to himself, the Hawaiian prince recalled a topic that was discussed in much fervour during the past year. “Speaking of which, did you told the African prince on your pet project?”

“You mean our constitution? Yes, to both the prince and the Queen. Both of them were impressed, the prince and his Beninese delegation especially.”

“Really, so what did they say?” Kalakaua was intrigued. From the letters alone, the entire Hawaiian court knew that Abu Bakar and his ministers had been brainstorming for months on the matter, trying to find a way of encapsulating the sultanate on pen and ink. His brother, the king Lunalilo, even sent a copy of the islands’ own treatise as a reference [4].

“Well, they were very much interested in how my ministers and I did the work.” Abu Bakar mused. “We told them of your islands and your history, and that having a constitution could help their efforts in being recognized by the world. I must say, though, good luck to Benin. I think they might need it more than anyone.”

Kalakaua started. “Why?”

“Remember what I said about states like ours gaining our freedom through being either unimportant or being too valuable?” The sultan asked.

Kalakaua nodded.

His host stared at him, and the prince suddenly realized how much time has also changed for the man. Abu Bakar’s eyes still exuded the flamboyancy of his youth. Nevertheless, the monarch had been putting on weight, and there were more lines and creases stretched across his visage than before.

“I feel that that very argument can no longer be used, at least not as solidly as before. When we organized our pavilion at Chicago? During the World’s Fair? I received word that a great many visitors were more impressed with… our arts than for anything else. Everyone was swarming around the Siamese pavilion when they had their dances. It seems to me that, in their eyes, a native state’s worth is measured more in its artistry and beauty, and I remembered how the Londoners looked when the Beninese tried to showcase their culture.”

Kalakaua silently digested what he heard. The tea has taken a rather unsettling turn.

After a few moments, he asked. “But I am sure there are those who could see through their prejudice? There are many whom view Hawaiian culture as odd, but still enjoy its meaning.”

“Maybe. Speaking of which, I heard that your brother had to concede part of the islands to the States?”

“Pearl Harbour.” Kalakaua was definitely cheerless now, remembering the ceremony that took place late last year. “Half the family was mad at his decision, while the other half was pushing for more land to be gifted to the American navy. They are getting bolder now, especially with the sugar planters beside them. It was either our exports or our land, and my brother reasoned that we are nothing without our exports.”

“I am guessing the Americans will not stop.”

“Oh definitely not.” A flame has been lit, and the prince could feel it burning inside him. “We have already re-assembled our armed forces as a precaution. While I was at Bangkok, my brother even wrote on how his officers uncovered a coup plot planned by several shipping companies. All the more reason for me to keep on travelling and advocating for my Hawaii. I care for our Western ties, but not like this.”

“You are not alone.”

“What?”

“Well, would you believe me if I told you that I am also receiving requests from foreign nations? For Johorean land? If you are finished with your tea, I can show you the letters we received from the consuls in Singapore. All of them, asking for a lease…”

Notes:

1. Yep. Abu Bakar really did went to Scotland in full highlander wear, kilt and all. The tartan was actually officiated and recognized by Queen Victoria herself IOTL.

2. Sago balls = Onde-Onde. Had to put it in. :biggrin:

3. There was a fashion in the late Victorian era in having gutta-percha desk sets, crafted from both the wood and the latex.

4. While this is an ITTL invention, the Johorean court did look through other constitutions in their making of the sultanate’s own Undang-Undang Tubuh in 1895 IOTL.

Last edited:
Bravo, bravo! Masterfully crafted. I especially like the Benin part since I advocated for it but to see a bit about Hawaii again really was really wonderful. If you ever require any names, locations or information never hesitate to ask.

As it nears the 20th Century are you going to do some kind of overlook part about the nations such as Sarawak and Johor and so on dealing with an overlook of the nations with populations, resources etc as I think that would be a cool idea.

And in a few more nations and a few more places than OTL, the European juggernaut is being held at bay -for now. It will be most interesting to see how this continues to develop.

I forget: how is Japan getting along, compared to OTL?

Great update, as always! I was wondering if you had given any thought to changes in the Balkans in light of a more robust Ottoman Empire. I seem to recall you mentioning that Bosnia was not annexed by A-H.

Bravo, bravo! Masterfully crafted. I especially like the Benin part since I advocated for it but to see a bit about Hawaii again really was really wonderful. If you ever require any names, locations or information never hesitate to ask.

As it nears the 20th Century are you going to do some kind of overlook part about the nations such as Sarawak and Johor and so on dealing with an overlook of the nations with populations, resources etc as I think that would be a cool idea.

Thanks! I planned the 1880's and 90's to be the when Sarawak and Johor truly connected with the outside world, and having Benin and Hawaii involved would also add in greater context as to how far both states have come and how much they are now seen by the world.

As for an overview, I'll do that before the Great War. The greater diversity of independent states ITTL would need a section of it's own to explain and analyse. :p

And in a few more nations and a few more places than OTL, the European juggernaut is being held at bay -for now. It will be most interesting to see how this continues to develop.

I forget: how is Japan getting along, compared to OTL?

Murphy's Law will come to effect soon. Which one will screw up. Not all of them can pull a Johor.

Oh definitely. And as Kalakaua noted, not even recognition can save a state from being bullied, and even sultanates like Johor can be vulnerable to foreign intrigues if the court isn't careful. However, perception is also key; Europe is being held at bay ITTL because it's too busy expanding somewhere else (Benin), but it's also because of native states having a non-European protector (Aceh), or already being in the political/economic orbit of a western Empire (Johor and Hawaii). Only one state has gained the complete acknowledgement of the West (Sarawak), and that's mostly due to a combination of all the above factors and the ruling family being white Britons, and even then they have to toe the line in foreign affairs sometimes.

As for Japan, it's still chugging along with industrialization, though there is a greater awareness of Southeast Asia among the merchants and sailors. Some of them have emigrated to Johor/Sarawak and thereabouts to make business, and there is a rising trade in Japanese goods among the locals. Militarily... we'll see. ;) China is not exactly the same nation it was since the Sino-French War.

Great update, as always! I was wondering if you had given any thought to changes in the Balkans in light of a more robust Ottoman Empire. I seem to recall you mentioning that Bosnia was not annexed by A-H.

Ah, yes. We'll get to that in the pre-War international snippets. But in summing, the Balkans are going to be a basketcase, especially among Bulgarians.

Only one state has gained the complete acknowledgement of the West (Sarawak)
So Sarawak at this time is in absolutely no danger of annexation by western powers? Do you mean that places like France, and Britain look at it as a place to simply be commercially dominant rather than politically dominant? Or does Sarawak only avoid western imperialism by virtue of being an unofficial British protectorate sort of/kind of, not really, but basically. It would actually be great to see how the rest of the world views the Brooks. We get a tiny tidbit here and there, but maybe you could do a chapter on just that. One of my favorite chapters was when the Frenchy who thought he could be King of New France tried to pull of James Brooke :relievedface:

Last edited:
Excellent as always. There is a potential third option for Benin, but it's an ugly one: help the British conquer its neighbors in return for a better deal, as Buganda did IOTL. That wouldn't allow Benin to keep all of its independence, but it might retain much of its self-government and end up in a pre-eminent position within a Lower Niger Valley protectorate.

Aside from that, I wonder whether Abu Bakar shared his thoughts concerning cultural worth with the Benin prince. If so - and if the Benin court is creative enough - we may see an early attempt at cultural diplomacy, with Benin sponsoring dancers, musicians, artists and storytellers to flood the UK with its cultural products. The reasoning would be that Europeans have had centuries of exposure to Asian culture and have come to incorporate it into their idea of beauty, so the sooner they get used to West African culture, the better. That would also be one way for Benin to connect with sympathetic Europeans, given that anyone who would pay for a ticket to see an African dance company or art exhibit would already be primed to appreciate it. If this happens - and if it works, which is another big "if" - then TTL's world will have an early example of the uses and strength of soft power.

(If I were the Oba, BTW, I'd start with music. Europeans have already had some exposure to West African music by this time - they just don't know it.)

So Sarawak at this time is in absolutely no danger of annexation by western powers? Do you mean that places like France, and Britain look at it as a place to simply be commercially dominant rather than politically dominant? Or does Sarawak only avoid western imperialism by virtue of being an unofficial British protectorate sort of/kind of, not really, but basically.

It's more of the latter, in a sense. It will be explained in the future but Sarawak was generally seen by outsiders as, for lack of a better term, a grey area within the British Empire. It is an independent kingdom headed by the Brooke family, yet it has many economic and naval links to the larger British sphere, which - until now - drove off many prospective Europeans from politically engaging with the country. The fact that Rajahs James and Charles are usually disengaged from seeking western ties - apart from independence recognition - also played a hand.

But as the second-largest independent state in Southeast Asia (next to Siam), the kingdom is starting to gain attention from other western nations - remember France looking for new ports for her navy? It has also gained awareness from non-European polities such as the Qing Empire, though that's mainly because of the christian Chinese nationalists.

Excellent as always. There is a potential third option for Benin, but it's an ugly one: help the British conquer its neighbors in return for a better deal, as Buganda did IOTL. That wouldn't allow Benin to keep all of its independence, but it might retain much of its self-government and end up in a pre-eminent position within a Lower Niger Valley protectorate.

Oooooh, now that's a way to make tensions with your neighbours. :hushedface:

Whatever Abu Bakar thinks of cultural worth, he would keep that to his closest friends. But I can see him recounting Johor and Siam's participation during the World's Fair to the prince, and how he and Chulalongkorn used their pavilions to educate the world on their respective nations and cultures. That would definitely get the Benin court interested, and the Oba could extrapolate from it to try and conduct cultural diplomacy in Britain, as you said. Whether it works or not... will be up to the British public.

It would actually be great to see how the rest of the world views the Brooks. We get a tiny tidbit here and there, but maybe you could do a chapter on just that. One of my favorite chapters was when the Frenchy who thought he could be King of New France tried to pull of James Brooke :relievedface:

Yeah, I think by now there needs to be a chapter on that. Oh, and speaking of New France and half-baked adventurer-kings, guess what I found out about the Spratly Islands. XD

Has Brook considered importing Irish people form the Great Famine?

Sadly no, more's the pity. The Great Famine happened when Sarawak was in it's infancy, and most of the Irish (as well as plenty of the British) have not even heard of James Brooke's adventures in Borneo, let alone his adventurer-state back then. There was at least a sense of awareness as time as went on; Margaret Brooke mentioned that an Irish maid followed her to Sarawak when she arrived, but found the tropical climate very disagreeable and left a few weeks later.

About now ITTL, the kingdom is mostly known as another extension of the British Empire by most Irish people, with perhaps some knowledge of a Catholic mission or two.

Next update either today or tomorrow, and then a final return to 19th century Sarawak before we go around the world.

Sadly no, more's the pity. The Great Famine happened when Sarawak was in it's infancy, and most of the Irish (as well as plenty of the British) have not even heard of James Brooke's adventures in Borneo, let alone his adventurer-state back then. There was at least a sense of awareness as time as went on; Margaret Brooke mentioned that an Irish maid followed her to Sarawak when she arrived, but found the tropical climate very disagreeable and left a few weeks later.

About now ITTL, the kingdom is mostly known as another extension of the British Empire by most Irish people, with perhaps some knowledge of a Catholic mission or two.

Next update either today or tomorrow, and then a final return to 19th century Sarawak before we go around the world.
Woot woot, another update! It's unfortunate about the Irish then, I understand that Sarawak had a population of about 500,000 by the time Vyner either took over or gave it to the British. I was just trying to find a way to give you a population of twice that by the same time. That being said, as Sarawak now holds a larger chunk of Borneo, what is the current population census at?

Woot woot, another update! It's unfortunate about the Irish then, I understand that Sarawak had a population of about 500,000 by the time Vyner either took over or gave it to the British. I was just trying to find a way to give you a population of twice that by the same time. That being said, as Sarawak now holds a larger chunk of Borneo, what is the current population census at?

Unfortunately, I can't find any credible source on pre-1900 population records but I did find one source mentioning that Sarawak in 1888 had a population of 310,000 people. Given that the kingdom ITTL is much larger on land and sea (Western Sabah + Natuna & Anambas Islands) and is subject to different immigration patterns, I'd say it now has around 400,000 people, of which more than half are comprised of various Dayak tribes.