Of Rajahs and Hornbills: A timeline of Brooke Sarawak

To anyone who's interested, the latest update was in the preceding page.

I wonder how will Aceh can recover from the massive war waged across it? They have allies but the devastation was likely nightmarish; and a good number of skilled people likely fled and will not return now.

Well, their forests are relatively unmolested from the gutta-percha craze that gripped the rest of Southeast Asia, so the royal court can at least shore up their finances through exploring wild rubber for a few decades. Aceh also has large deposits of ores and petroleum, so the state can have a long future if it invests in the mining sector.

But as you can see, the royal court is also trying to get the spice planters back and get the traditional cash crop economy going, for better or worse. Kutaraja is also trying to court outside investment, though it's skepticism of European Powers would likely make the Ottoman Empire the only one that counts in their eyes.

What would be the total population of the two kingdoms anyway especially in regard to Aceh after the war. In that same vein was the war between Batavia and Aceh seen like the Russo - Japanese war or the way the Anglo - Zulu conflict was to the outer world? Also, finally awesome update and thanks for coming back.

The sultanate of Johor would probably have close to 400,000 people by this point, out of which only around 70,000 to 100,000 are true-blood Johorean Malays. There are large communities of Acehnese and Javanese migrants scattered around (around 40,000 each) but by far the largest ethnic group now are the southern Chinese with over 250,000 people. The only reason why there isn't more cultural anxiety is because many Johoreans are lumping the Acehnese and Javanese as their won social equals. That and most Chinese settlers make their towns away from existing villages.

Aceh's population is more uncertain, since there are no accurate census records from the Dutch or th Acehnese during the late 19th century. But from what I can gather, the ITTL population by 1905 would be around the 500,000 mark with at least 100,000 residents being outside immigrants (of which around 60,000 would be Chinese settlers).

In terms of recognition, the Aceh War would be seen by outsiders mostly as a very "dirty war"; a conflict where both sides committed atrocities and horrible things. Despite this, I don't think western perceptions would consider the conflict to be like the Zulu or Russo-Japanese Wars. Instead, most would the the sultanate as getting lucky that it caught the interest of a protective Great Power.

And thanks! :D

So has Sarawak garnered a reputation as the go to immigration destination for Asian Christian's?

Not to most Asian Christians. The United States and Europe remain the go-to place of immigration, but some of the poorer folk in Qing China are looking at Sarawak - and Southeast Asia in general - as a place to settle. Whether thee Southeast Asian states will accept them now is another matter.

It's always good to see an update here. I think of this timeline as being somewhat in the vein of Jonathan Edelstein's MR (The accents aren't working on my tablet, and without them... well, Male Rising sounds, at the very best, like a story about a misogynistic revolution. ANYWAY.)
You've taken a geographic area that's been sadly neglected by the forum and not only shown why it's fascinatin, you've really got into the local cultural differences rather than simply creating a new set of stereotypes.

Will you be writing anything about the plight of the "Kanaka" labourers? I think that story of mass... not-quite-enslavement is one of the sadder and more interesting stories of south east Asia and the Pacific at the turn of the century.

Lastly, and not to do with the main narrative at all-
I do hope this won't be yet another Great War analogue where the French are destroyed. Not that France has any real bearing on this particular timeline, but it seems to have become a real cliche of the forum.
I'm not even French, it's just become very boring. I mean, I'm sure that you have a good chain of events mapped out, but just thought I'd put in my two cents.

I do hope this won't be yet another Great War analogue where the French are destroyed. Not that France has any real bearing on this particular timeline, but it seems to have become a real cliche of the forum.
I'm not even French, it's just become very boring. I mean, I'm sure that you have a good chain of events mapped out, but just thought I'd put in my two cents.

You've noticed it too. Thank you, finally. As to your question, the tensions and problems that lead to World War One haven't played out yet and with a relatively strong Ottomans, a possible lack of the Balkan Wars and a difference in the mass system of alliances that led to the first world wars on top of different African colonial chafing form OTL a world war especially a recognisable one is unlikely.

On that note of Africa, Al-Numbers (I could swear your name was different some time ago), how's Benin? Always got to push the personal agenda :p

It's always good to see an update here. I think of this timeline as being somewhat in the vein of Jonathan Edelstein's MR (The accents aren't working on my tablet, and without them... well, Male Rising sounds, at the very best, like a story about a misogynistic revolution. ANYWAY.)

You've taken a geographic area that's been sadly neglected by the forum and not only shown why it's fascinating, you've really got into the local cultural differences rather than simply creating a new set of stereotypes.

Hee hee, would it surprise you when I say that Malê Rising is one of my inspirations? I still go back to Jonathan's timeline now and again just to soak in all the worldbuilding he made, and I hope I can at least try to come close to his literary standards or at least follow his writing advice.

As for the region, I was always a bit fascinated by the history of Southeast Asia, and I was a bit miffed at the lack of discussions about the region when I first joined this forum. Add that with a trip to Kuching for a family reunion and I was hooked on the history and culture of Sarawak. Plus, I wanted to do something after seeing article after article misnaming or misattributing the local cultures of Nusantara.

(And as for the name, I always wondered what non-Malêverse readers would've thought when they stumbled upon the TL name on the net.)

Will you be writing anything about the plight of the "Kanaka" labourers? I think that story of mass... not-quite-enslavement is one of the sadder and more interesting stories of south east Asia and the Pacific at the turn of the century.

I'm not familiar with Australian and Oceanian history, so I don't know how to include it into the greater threads of the Brooke-verse. With that said, the Kanaka are definitely a group that deserves a break, so maybe I’ll include a mention of them in the future.

Nah. I have no taste for total destruction of any enemy, most of which is because writing such stuff is a bit too easy and a cop-out in my opinion. France may be the principal antagonist for the region, but it won't get the shaft too much by the time the war drums stop beating.

With that said, I can’t promise there being a Great Power or two getting a few kicks in the pants.

You've noticed it too. Thank you, finally. As to your question, the tensions and problems that lead to World War One haven't played out yet and with a relatively strong Ottomans, a possible lack of the Balkan Wars and a difference in the mass system of alliances that led to the first world wars on top of different African colonial chafing form OTL a world war especially a recognisable one is unlikely.

Ah, but some of the existing tensions IOTL are still there ITTL. The Bulgarians are still dreaming of their own independence and Greece is still eying Ottoman Salonika and Macedonia. On a broader scope, France and Germany are at loggerheads over the Scramble for Africa while Italy is eying the lands surrounding Abyssinia.

There shall be a different world war, but the underlying problems are still reminiscent of the nationalistic and colonial dilemmas faced IOTL.

On that note of Africa, Al-Numbers (I could swear your name was different some time ago), how's Benin? Always got to push the personal agenda :p

You guessed right, Al-numbers is a different name. Perhaps you know me better as Sketchdoodle the Malêverse map maker? ;)

And as for Benin, patience. I’ve said before that the Oba would have learned of a few outside nations (Johor and Aceh) getting recognition by touring through Europe ITTL. I can certainly say that by 1895, the royal court of Benin City are figuring out whether they should make their own European tour. Or try and use the surrounding colonial struggles to their advantage.

-------------------------------

And lastly, it is my unfortunate duty to tell that one of the descendants of the Brooke family has passed away a week ago.

James Bertram ‘Lionel’ Brooke is more known for his racing activities in his life, but he was seen as one of the future heirs to the kingdom before the Second World War. Regardless, rest in peace.

VPQ1xR6.jpg

Last edited:
1880 - 1905: Dutch East Indies
ZlDrhEl.jpg

M.C. Yamin, The social transformation of the Dutch East Indies (Leiden University Press: 2004)

…The close of the Aceh War proved to be a hidden blessing for the Dutch East Indies; during its height, Batavia spent as much as 55% of its colonial defence budget on northern Sumatra. But the end of the conflict heralded something even worse; After the Russo-Turkish War, many officials were worried at how the local populace would view the Ottoman Empire. Now, it was clear that many East Indies Muslims saw the polity and its caliph as a prospective saviour. Batavia’s worst fear was realized.

With Aceh resolved, the administration quickly diverted the defence funds to safeguard the extremities of their archipelagic domain. Indeed, the period from 1889 to 1905 marked a dramatic increase in the number of punitive expeditions conducted by the Royal Netherlands East Indies Army. Campaigns were conducted on sultanates, kingdoms, and tribal polities across Sulawesi, Sunda, the Moluccas, and even the farthest archipelagos of Kai and Aru. Of these, only the sultanate of Riau-Lingga managed to establish permanent contact with Kostantiniyye, with its internal sovereignty assured by an Ottoman consul to Penyengat Inderasakti to combat Dutch influence [1]. Elsewhere, and despite heavy resistance, the island states fell before the Dutch like a forest before a storm.

The desire for control manifested itself in other ways. The examples of Aceh and Riau-Lingga showed that territorial reach meant nothing without citizen cooperation, and there were many local leaders whom wanted to emulate the Acehnese in both action and thought, or at least use the Ottomans’ influence as leverage in colonial negotiations. Mosques and rich families began sponsoring students to be educated at Kutaraja, Cairo, and Kostantiniyye while Arabic and Turkish books began flowing into the archipelago from Aceh [2]. The Javanese santri – the island’s well-read urban class – were among the most reverent backers of Ottoman-Islamic thought and santri-backed religious clubs began to pop up across Java, Sumatra, and the coasts of Borneo.

With the size and scale of the East Indies, controlling such ideas and influence would have been an exercise in pointlessness. But did not stop Batavia from attempting to stem the flow. The policies that were promulgated after the Treaty of Singapore reflected this with the colonial government becoming more culturally secular and Islamic topics being downplayed in Dutch-controlled newspapers. Conversion of indigenous natives to Christianity was prioritised, with the aim of creating a religious bloc that would check any form of creeping Islamic reformism. Rulings regarding indigenous relations were relaxed and requests by Christian Protestant missions to operate were expedited or have their administrative approval process shortened.

mbFteQx.jpg

Photograph of Father Johannes "Pa" van der Steur (center) and his "adopted family". A Dutch missionary, he became known for adopting orphaned Javanese boys and was reputed to have taken in over 7000 children over his lifetime.

But it would all come together under the ironically-named Dutch Ethical Policy. Taking into effect in January 1901, the Ethical Policy was a slew of administrative, educational, economic, and religious actions that was intended to ‘uplift the natives’ and westernize the East Indies, thereby veering the polity away from Ottoman-Islamic reformism (or as much as it could). Western education was opened to locals, and a new schooling system was established to teach “western sciences” to prospective students. Dutch was emphasized as the language of the colonial government and – in a startling break with British Malaya – the Javanese language was established as the lingua franca of the archipelago, replacing the Johor-Riau Malay that was becoming increasingly aligned as the communicative tongue of local reformists… [3]

…Another front in the new war for influence was in trade. For centuries, the Peranakan classes were the backbone of local trade across the East Indies. However, they were also some of the richest, most educated, and free-thinking of the population. More recently, the boom of the gutta-percha industry has accentuated the class as a dominant force in regional commerce with many families intermarrying with fellow Peranakans across Sarawak, Malaya, and Aceh to further entwine their rubber concerns. Among the Hadhramis and Jawi Peranakans, such unions also linked families across different political lines, further spreading new Otoman-Islamic ideas to the trading class.

AiJ6fiM.jpg

Photograph of a group of Chinese Peranakan men in Palembang, circa 1899. Note the Fez worn by the person on the front right; such headgear is most often worn on Muslim notables, rich converts, or those with connections to well-off Muslim families.

Preventing bottom-up reformism would have to include swaying them to the Dutch and breaking up the informal trade network, and in this Batavia was lucky. In the 3rd of July 1892, a riot erupted in the capital between the locals and the Chinese Peranakans, whom were long envied for their wealth and power. In the aftermath, many Batavian Peranakans emigrated to Malaya, Aceh, Singapore, and Sarawak, with the remaining families grouping together in the city for protection. This was a boon to the Dutch officials, whom informally offered the trading class protection from harm in exchange for becoming the arms of the colonial state. Peranakan families began investing in Dutch firms while their children began to be educated and employed as civil servants [4].

Slowly, this relationship began to spread across the Dutch-controlled East Indies, and primarily among the Chinese-descended Peranakan class. However, it also tied the group to the colonial establishment and as such, the group linked itself to the fate of the Dutch East Indies…

…Perhaps unsurprisingly, foreign relations were placed in high importance following the Aceh War. Officialy, the Netherlands and the D.E.I declared themselves neutral territories. In private, the polities’ brush with the Ottoman Navy gave them nervous jitters in regards to territorial security. The spate of construction in naval bases and port upgrades across Dutch-controlled Sundaland during the 1890’s definitely points to a heightened sense of defensive shortcomings. So it shouldn’t be much of a surprise that when an offer arrived from the French Third Republic in 1895, asking for wartime port access and an open sea route to Indochina, there were many who wanted to accept. [5]

But at the same time, a great majority of officials realized that accepting the offer would raise the ire of the British and their Royal Navy. Besides that, allowing the French Navy access to D.E.I harbours (and securing their Indochinese route) would lock the archipelago to European colonial geopolitics, which were in high heat as the Scramble for Africa unfolded a continent away. After a raucous discussion at the governor’s palace, Batavian officials re-affirmed that D.E.I ports would be open to all warships that are not at conflict with Dutch interests, solidifying the polity’s neutrality. In case of war, French gunships are entitled to, at most, 24 hours at anchor in the East Indies – the same standard as with other warring Powers… [6]

Notes:

1. See post #853. The sultanate of Riau-Lingga was another state known for having an independent streak IOTL and was included in the ITTL Treaty of Singapore. Given its proximity to the British colony, the Straits of Malacca, and to global trade routes, it is possible that the state would gain some form of autonomy with the right circumstances. And yes, Penyengat Inderasakti is an actual place.

2. Ottoman reformism played an enormous part in the early nationalist awakenings of Malaysia and Indonesia IOTL, with students being educated in reformist works or being sent to the empire for further studies even as the Ottomans declined. ITTL, and with a free Aceh to look at, it would be even more so.

3. The use of Johor-Riau Malay as the OTL lingua franca of Indonesia and Malaysia started during the mid-19th century as an agreement between the British and the Dutch during the establishment of Singapore. ITTL, the association of Johor, Riau, and Aceh with the Ottomans would spook the Dutch into ditching Malay as a communicative language and choose Javanese instead. Given the tounge’s complexity, a “Standard Javanese” would take a whole update by itself, but we can say that Dutch translators spent the time from 1888 to 1901 hammering out a “Standard” tongue fit for most conversations.

4. This happened more or less IOTL, though with the relationship being spread out over a much longer timeframe.

5. See post #861 regarding the Sino-French War.

6. Laws and conduct regarding neutrality in times of war differ from place to place during the 19th century, especially in regards to colonies. But there was a notion of neutral Powers being allowed to trade with belligerent Powers for a limited period up until WWI (so long as the traded goods are not contraband).

Can I get a Malay Vs Javanese linguistic conflict up in this Nusantara?

I do wonder if the Dutch will be successful at reducing the importance of Riau Malay with the encouragement of Javanese as a Lingua Franca. Interesting stuff as always!

I'd imagine that pushing standardized Javanese on the non-Javanese-speaking areas of DEI will cause problems. Malay was one thing - it was a trade language like Swahili or Lingala, already accepted as a language of wider regional communication - but suppressing indigenous languages in favor of Javanese is a different story.

I'd imagine that pushing standardized Javanese on the non-Javanese-speaking areas of DEI will cause problems. Malay was one thing - it was a trade language like Swahili or Lingala, already accepted as a language of wider regional communication - but suppressing indigenous languages in favor of Javanese is a different story.
Would this strengthen regional identities?

Can I get a Malay Vs Javanese linguistic conflict up in this Nusantara?

I do wonder if the Dutch will be successful at reducing the importance of Riau Malay with the encouragement of Javanese as a Lingua Franca. Interesting stuff as always!

Indeed. Malay was the trade language and communicative tongue of the Islamic and even Hindu states of Nusantara for centuries, and the British/Dutch have followed suit with the Johor-Riau dialect for a long while. At this point, any change in language standards would be more than a little disorientating, even if the new language is standardized beforehand.

Would this strengthen regional identities?

Standard Javanese might gain ground in Java and the nearby islands, but not so much in coastal Borneo or Sumatra, and even less so in the Moluccas or coastal Sulawesi. However, the indigenous tribes of the exterior islands might be more amenable to Javanese, being more cut-off from the Malay sphere in the first place. Dutch Papua might also be an easier place for the new language to settle in, though the natives may add in a few loanwords of their own.

1880 - 1895: The Spanish Philippines (and a Congolese ending)
L83oYCn.jpg

San Sebastián, Spanish Congo, 19 January 1895

The group meeting would take place tonight, and José Rizal wanted no stone unturned.

Cycling from work, he couldn’t help but think of the hazards the event would entail: his home was set at the edge of the Barrio Filipino, close to the jungle, so an easy escape for the guests would be… well, easy. Tomorrow would be the anniversary of the founding of the city, so the night would be free from the usual curfew. But even with that, the police officers would definitely smell a plot if they see over twenty bicycles strewn about on his front lawn.

But if they instead hid their bicycles amongst the trees...

“Rizal! Back from work early, I assume?”

He looked up. It was Antonio Luna, and his smile was something that somehow eased the exiled nationalist’s heart. It wasn’t easy making friends in the new environment, especially among those who differ from his ideas on political reform. Still, Luna was a man with a good heart, which is maybe why he is respected by almost all the Ilustrados, even though he is part of San Sebastián’s police force. Besides, he’s an Ilustrado exile himself. Speaking of which…

He stopped by the police officer. “I got myself an early leave from work. Good behaviour. Guess being straitlaced does being about some good. Besides that, can I have your ear?”

“Always.”

“Can you inform the others tonight to hide their bicycles behind my home? Amongst the trees? And can you make sure there are no nosy officers near my place?

“You have my word.” Luna replied, before walking off. The dark shade of his uniform was set sharp against the evening sky.

Cycling some more, Rizal soon glimpsed his residence and braked just short of the front porch. A strain of bemusement flitted through him; Some exile. A bungalow, a bicycle, a job… the only thing left is a licence to travel. Someone in the city centre must have noted how a group of exiled, frustrated, and educated men could get dangerous if they were denied at least some form of comfort or occupation. But even then, the city officials would only bend so far, and the requests to venture upriver – or to return back home – were rejected time and again.

Still… he mused, opening the front door. That did not stop the news from home from reaching us. Or the abuses from the interior…

CHLz05k.jpg

Amilasan Tawasil, The Troublesome History of the Spanish Philippines (Tulip Press: 1987)

…Unsurprisingly, the arrival of Spanish authority in Sulu and Maguindanao was widely resented. Still, the ferocity in which the local Moro, Tausug and Sama-Bajau peoples opposed their conquerors was something the capital was underprepared for.

With the fall of Jolo and the signing of the 1878 Sulu Agreement, the Spanish Philippines were under great pressure to enforce its writ on the southern sultanates, especially in light of the recent recognition episodes of Johor and Aceh [1]. Forts and barracks were hastily constructed all across the Philippine south while cadres of soldiers and administrators were posted to properly enforce colonial law. Missionaries followed almost as quickly, with hut churches popping up like mushrooms all over the southern islands to convert the ‘heathen’ Muslims and tribal subgroups under the cross.

The locals had other plans. For Maguindanao, it was the start of a guerrilla campaign as aristocratic families and their camp followers retreated to the high mountains, bedevilling colonial troops by conducting sudden attacks – often at night – before dissolving back to the surrounding jungle. For Sulu, a small number of nobles continued their insurgency in the outlying islands and a few even decamped to mainland Borneo, nestling in the coastal forests and harassing both the Spanish navy and the new Italian administration of Sabah. The rebellion of Abdullah Salleh is perhaps the most famous, with his use of native auxiliaries inflicting massive damage to any unarmed naval transport that found itself alone amongst the islands and bays [2].

No less ferocious was the efforts of the local folk, whom often sheltered men and arms while colonial troops sifted through their homes on other places. Tax evasion was rampant across Sulu and Maguindanao, as were acts of individual terror; A Spanish sergeant might come to bed in one night and wake up the next morning to find his barrack troops howling in pain from venomous cobras released from wooden cages placed suspiciously nearby. Perhaps the most grisly were the Juramentados: Radicalized men whom engage in public acts of violence against soldiers, clergymen, and Christian converts, often stabbing them with their barong swords and expecting to be killed in return. While such acts of martyrdom were present since the earliest days of the Spanish Philippines, these often-suicidal attacks escalated sharply from the 1880’s onwards.

Complicating the matter was the web of smugglers and traders spread profusely throughout the two sultanates. The preceding Sulu Affair had built up an enormous network of smugglers and blockade runners, ferrying food, arms, and information from bases as far away as Malaya while bring protected under the banner of neighbouring states or European empires. With the Affair over, many of these smugglers – often of Chinese makeup and operating under legitimate businesses – simply melded into the swarm of international vessels which are now plying the Sulu Sea – as per the 1878 Agreement. The preceding Affair had also linked up these smugglers to the greater trade web of the Peranakan class, granting them with even more money and capital to buy black market armaments and ship them for the two kingdoms. The price for these items? Local slaves, which by this era were young children and youths kidnapped or sold by their parents due to mounting debt – to man the ships and to be sold in China. In effect, the local push against Spanish colonialism has revived the southern Philippine slave trade.

As such, it was no wonder that colonial response was so heavy-handed. Families of Juramentados would often find themselves being interned for a considerable length of time while any captured imams would be either stripped of their holy books or be forcibly exiled. Rebel-sheltering villages would be destroyed by Spanish Philippine troops with their populations then relocated to new grounds where they could be ‘observed’ with ease. Catholic missionaries would then try and forcibly convert the captured locals, often with mixed success. Whole swathes of rainforest were burned or cut down to prevent guerrilla raiders from escaping, though this often resulted in the army clashing with Spanish timber and wild rubber concessionaries over what the latter parties saw as a “waste of resources”. To break up the web of smugglers and their Peranakan backers, Spanish Philippine businesses were prioritised while any Chinese traders were expelled from any territories the army controlled.

In some ways, the subjugation of Sulu and Maguindanao can be compared to the Aceh War that raged over 3,000 kilometres away. But while Aceh received deliverance in the form of the Ottoman Navy, Manila ordered for the total interception of her enemies’ communications with the Porte and for its armed forces to escalate the conflict, even going so far as to redirect infrastructure funds in the capital to push through the now full-blown rebellion [3].

But it wouldn’t be until 1892 for the authorities to find any significant headway in the conflict. Under the advice of several Augustinian friars, missionaries and envoys were sent to the indigenous tribes of Mindanao, whom had long chafed under the rule of the sultanates. With the capture of their co-ethnics into slavery, the Manobo, Bukidnon, T’boli, and other tribal subgroups have since lost their trust in the Islamic rebellion and were eager to fight against their attackers and child-sellers. Although there were many who were sceptical of the friars’ ‘salvation through Catholicism’, the subgroups were equipped with modern rifles and were encouraged to attack any villages or forts that contained the Moro, Tausug, and Sama-Bajau fighters.

The tables had turned. Faced with multiple groups whom can conduct the same type of disorganized warfare as them, the Sulu nobles and especially the Maguindanao court were paralysed. Sudden strikes – mostly at night – became a new and constant threat while village raids became a nightmare as the native peoples made fortresses out of their settlements. Any attacks that were successful would be quickly passed through informants to the Manila press, who would then lambast the southern rebellion in their papers and exalt the resistance of the indigenous tribes….

f8hQAfH.jpg

Benigno Aquino III, The Evolution of the Spanish Philippines (Corazón: 1984)

…To say that Philippine nationalism in the 1890’s was a fully-fledged fire is somewhat premature. While there was a growing sense of nationhood among the elites and even the local notables, it was tempered with local and regional affiliations among the mass peasantry, often to ethnic and linguistic lines. The Franciscan and Augustinian priesthood was especially notable for checking any sort of nationalist aspiration, often through informing the authorities of dissent among their confessors. Nevertheless, the late 1880’s saw an increase in the number of political groups formed among the upper class, calling for reforms in the colonial system. Of particular note were the Ilustrados; young, educated men whose reformist leanings often veer from the conciliatory to the radical.

This rise in nationalist thought was set amongst a sea of drastic change. The onset of the 1890’s marked a tumultuous time in the Spanish Philippines, with the colony receiving massive attention from Madrid than in previous decades. The exploitation of the Spanish Congo led to a surge in revenues for the Spanish colonial empire, and the archipelago received some of the benefits. Infrastructural investment flowed into the main cities to better facilitate commerce while foreign firms planted themselves to better exploit the rich resources of the islands.

However, the rise in economic growth also accentuated the disparity of wealth, with the upper class commissioning exquisite mansions to show-off their newfound wealth. Things were very different for the poor, with many landless peasants ending up as employees for the mining firms and forestry companies of Luzon and the Visayas. These jobs were most often dangerous and backbreaking, with wages that could only be described as deplorable. Nonetheless, for the first time in Philippine history, a sizable working class began to form.

As much as the Spanish establishment welcomed the profits of changing times, they also feared the social disruption that followed with it. Besides the perennial fear of the southern sultanates linking up with the wider Muslim world – especially after the independence of Aceh, they also feared the fact that several Ilustrado groups were actively campaigning for Philippine reform and even independence in mainland Europe. Therefore, it wasn’t much a surprise that the Manila press was put under the heel of the Governor-General by mid-1893, with many local newspapers practicing self-censorship in order to maintain their publishing rights. News that discussed anything regarding local nationalism were either curtailed or written in unflattering terms.

As for the educated class, both Manila and Madrid had their own ideas on keeping them quiet, but faraway events began to align the separate interests together. Awarded to Spain at the Conference of Brussels, the Congo Basin in Africa had become a money-making enterprise, with exports of timber, ivory, and wild rubber filling the pockets of their concessionaire exploiters. However, the territory also came with malaria, sleeping sickness, and the accursed bite of the tsetse fly, making any placements for the colonial administrative system a challenge. Chief among those who suffered were the junior clerks, accountants, and lower-level civil service staff – all of whom were Spanish-born – whom would suffer the diseases within weeks of arrival.

Whomever first suggested the idea has been lost to rumour, but the end of 1892 brought forth a new idea in the Spanish capital: what if, instead of staffing the region with ill-suited Spanish men, educated notables from the Philippines and the West Indies would be placed instead? And what if they were the more troublesome of the lot, placed far away where they could not cause any trouble?

And so it was that the most infamous policy of Spanish Philippine counter-reformism was born: administrative exile [4]. There were several ways in which this was done, but the most common form was of Ilustrado groups with nationalist sentiments being approached by the authorities, whom would offer them civil service jobs in the colonial government, or in Madrid. Later, it was revealed that those jobs would include a trip far away from the Philippines, and in fact would entail working in a different continent altogether. Often, the news would be espoused as the unlucky persons were already on a vessel, which the men thought was chugging for Europe. One wonders the reaction of these men when they realized they were being transported instead to Equatorial Africa…

fwMiALg.jpg

Around 9:00 pm that night.

It was under a moonlit sky that the men arrived.

By ones and twos, they appeared from the murky gloom and made their way to the lit house. From his watch by the back door, Rizal welcomed every entrant as warmly as he could. Most of them addressed him as a friend, but there were others who looked at him as if he would tell on the authorities the following day. No need of that. If they ever come, the back door shall see us off.

The sound of footsteps broke him out from his thoughts as another figure materialized before him.

“Nice night, isn’t it?”

It was Eduardo, and from the light in the entranceway Rizal could see the glint of his crucifix bouncing on his dark skin. An orphan, he was among the first of the local boys to be recruited to the seminary. Before the cross, he was the first in his village who could read and write. And with that, he was the first to question why his village had lost a quarter of its residents in just eight months.

“It is. How are the records?”

“I have them here.” Eduardo answered, showing off a stack of papers on his right arm.

“Good. I think you’re the last one to arrive. Come.”

Closing the door, Rizal followed his friend through the kitchen and looked at the group of Ilustrados and Congolese locals assembled in the morning room. His heart clenched; the Peninsulares thought they could muzzle his voice by 'promoting' him to a pen-pushing post in Africa. They never thought of him not giving up the fight… or caring about local injustices.

“Now, shall we begin?”

Notes:

1. See post #651

2. See post #929

3. This was actually done OTL, where the funds for Manila’s ports were redirected to combat the rebellion.

4. Manila sometimes used exile as a punishment for Philippine nationalists IOTL, as it did to Antonio Luna in 1897. In this case, there is now a new territory in which pesky illustrators can be dumped off.

5. San Sebastián = OTL Kinshasa.

Last edited:
do the Congolese not care as to the difference between the Spanish and the Belgians? Or are the Philippine exiles deliberately trying dodge the issue?

do the Congolese not care as to the difference between the Spanish and the Belgians? Or are the Philippine exiles deliberately trying dodge the issue?

ITTL Belgium never got the Congo, the Congress rewarded it too Spain.

Dare I hope Spain has not been as bad as Belgium was? I admit despite precedent I had some hope the Spanish colonial empire with this renewed lease as it were, would get its act together. So, how different is the Philippines situation on the ground from OTL?

It sounds like Rizal is going to create a Congolese national conscience (and possibly help forge a local Ilustrado equivalent).
A small nitpick, in the update, where it reads "Illustrados", it should be "Ilustrados".

Keep up the good work, Al-numbers! :)

How could it not backfire? This Men will simply turn into leaders of Anti-Colonialism that will later on plague all European nations in the game, not just Spain.