Of Rajahs and Hornbills: A timeline of Brooke Sarawak

Huh, I never knew how close the two systems were. Weird how the Indian Civil Service didn't allow that much Indians into the system though; The Sarawak Service ended up being mostly run by Sarawakians by the early 20th century.

True, the Indian Civil Service was more European-dominated (I don't believe Indians ever formed a majority at the elite level, although they did at the provincial level). There were Indian district officers even in the 19th century but they were few. I expect the Sarawakians to be better represented in Brooke's civil service, but the qualification process and the probationary training in local languages, law and culture are very similar to what the elite Raj officials went through. I actually wonder now whether some of the ICS' founders used Sarawak as an example, although the similarities might simply be due to the practicalities of governing these diverse areas.

Oddly enough, prior to the maps, I though Sarawak was the other end of North Borneo - got it mixed up with Sabah evidently. It makes the White Raja seem even more impressive in hindsight - one wonders what more they will achieve here!

True, the Indian Civil Service was more European-dominated (I don't believe Indians ever formed a majority at the elite level, although they did at the provincial level). There were Indian district officers even in the 19th century but they were few. I expect the Sarawakians to be better represented in Brooke's civil service, but the qualification process and the probationary training in local languages, law and culture are very similar to what the elite Raj officials went through. I actually wonder now whether some of the ICS' founders used Sarawak as an example, although the similarities might simply be due to the practicalities of governing these diverse areas.

I actually wondered about this too; But it could be that both British India and Sarawak just thought of the same system because of the practicality.

Sweet map on Sarawak to wet our whistles, and I will echo the similarity to the Indian civil service of the era (although I have a sneaking suspicion that said system in Sarawak might end up being a bit more fair by comparison, if the Brookes' reputation is anything like how I've heard).

Well I'll you this, the Brooke's Sarawak Service will have more than just native Sarawakians on the job by the 20th century, and even more so by the 21st. ;)

Damn, the map is pretty ! I have imagined how exotic it would be with Upper Kapuas region but that exceeds my expectation.

Hehe, thanks for the help! :D The map actually ended up bigger than I thought it would be 'cause of that freaking Kapuas River spur on the far right. Had to leave that thing as it is.

Oddly enough, prior to the maps, I though Sarawak was the other end of North Borneo - got it mixed up with Sabah evidently. It makes the White Raja seem even more impressive in hindsight - one wonders what more they will achieve here!

Considering that OTL Sarawak was the size of England and lasted for over a century, it's already impressive enough. :cool:

Now this is a fun timeline.

Hope you enjoy your stay!

The maps look pretty. The Dutch won't be happy of course, why would they anyway. The Dutch had ambitions for all of Borneo and a strong Sarawak would be very detrimental too that. This shock might result in more active colonization elsewhere, such as Sulawesi and New Guinea. Wonder where this would lead to.

By the way, I believe Leiden University would be a better choice for the Dutch updates. Leiden is the center for Indology - the study of history and culture of the East Indies and a where all the colonialists hang out at the time. Also, The Royal Netherlands Institute of South East Asia and Caribbean Studies was already founded by 1851 and I think they would be the better publisher for your Dutch East Indies updates.

The maps look pretty. The Dutch won't be happy of course, why would they anyway. The Dutch had ambitions for all of Borneo and a strong Sarawak would be very detrimental too that. This shock might result in more active colonization elsewhere, such as Sulawesi and New Guinea. Wonder where this would lead to.

By the way, I believe Leiden University would be a better choice for the Dutch updates. Leiden is the center for Indology - the study of history and culture of the East Indies and a where all the colonialists hang out at the time. Also, The Royal Netherlands Institute of South East Asia and Caribbean Studies was already founded by 1851 and I think they would be the better publisher for your Dutch East Indies updates.

The Dutch and the Brookes will definitely be at loggerheads over Borneo for the next few decades, though this might leave them blindsided to the outside world for a while...at their own risk. ;)

And thanks for the suggestions! I think I'll change it to Leiden since I might write some ATL term papers for this.

Heads up. There'll be no updates for this week and possibly the next due to assignments bogging me down. Till then, have a good week everyone. :)

The Dutch and the Brookes will definitely be at loggerheads over Borneo for the next few decades, though this might leave them blindsided to the outside world for a while...at their own risk. ;)

And thanks for the suggestions! I think I'll change it to Leiden since I might write some ATL term papers for this.

Great TL, like many AHers I have a soft spot for this dynasty.

While i can see the Brookes getting blindsided with non Borneo matters I have a harder time seeing that with the Dutch. Borneo may become their contentious region but they still have vast empire to consider and events back home in Europe.

So while the Brooks may get blindsided they have that advantage of being able to commit their focus to that level on Borneo while the Dutch obviously have many other pies to keep their fingers in.

And both seem ready to pounce on Brunei unraveling.

The Sandman

Banned
One thing I could see happening in the far future of the timeline is, when the Dutch are eventually forced out of the DEI, their part of Borneo choosing association with Sarawak (whether outright annexation or some form of confederation) over becoming a province in the new Javan Empire.

Also, opportunistically yoinking Palawan off of the Spanish when the Philippines are eventually stripped from them.

In the near future, I could see the western Borneo sultanates petitioning the Brookes for annexation once it becomes clear that the alternative is conquest by the Dutch; the former, as locals, are less likely to simply strip-mine the resources in the area, and Sarawak already has a precedent of leaving local authorities with some degree of power in areas it acquires. The Dutch will be pissed, of course, but the deal only specified that Sarawak not undertake diplomatic actions with the sultanates; the other way around wasn't mentioned. As long as the British are willing to support expansion of their influence in the region that doesn't involve open warfare, the Dutch really don't have a choice other than accepting it.

How is Indonesia "Javanese Empire" ?

It is simply 40something % Javanese and centralizes after series of events towards Javanese favor. But there's nothing in its constitution that says it's a Javanese state the way Malaysia has "Ketuanan Melayu".

But instability of early Indonesia will certainly bother Sarawak. Especially if Sarawak will have a leftist problem. Unlikely though, it was far from urbanized and the monarchy was extremely popular due to their genuine care for the natives. It depends on how event after event will unfold, I guess. But with no Malaysia, Indonesian perception of Northern part of the island should be quite improved vis a vis OTL.

Great TL, like many AHers I have a soft spot for this dynasty.

While i can see the Brookes getting blindsided with non Borneo matters I have a harder time seeing that with the Dutch. Borneo may become their contentious region but they still have vast empire to consider and events back home in Europe.

So while the Brooks may get blindsided they have that advantage of being able to commit their focus to that level on Borneo while the Dutch obviously have many other pies to keep their fingers in.

And both seem ready to pounce on Brunei unraveling.

True, but a lot can happen in just seventeen years. ;)

And as for Brunei, the Dutch are thinking of carving of a slice or two out from it but the extra attention to their post-1853 Bornean territories are going to keep them busy for a looong while.

One thing I could see happening in the far future of the timeline is, when the Dutch are eventually forced out of the DEI, their part of Borneo choosing association with Sarawak (whether outright annexation or some form of confederation) over becoming a province in the new Javan Empire.

Also, opportunistically yoinking Palawan off of the Spanish when the Philippines are eventually stripped from them.

In the near future, I could see the western Borneo sultanates petitioning the Brookes for annexation once it becomes clear that the alternative is conquest by the Dutch; the former, as locals, are less likely to simply strip-mine the resources in the area, and Sarawak already has a precedent of leaving local authorities with some degree of power in areas it acquires. The Dutch will be pissed, of course, but the deal only specified that Sarawak not undertake diplomatic actions with the sultanates; the other way around wasn't mentioned. As long as the British are willing to support expansion of their influence in the region that doesn't involve open warfare, the Dutch really don't have a choice other than accepting it.

Brooke/British Palawan... never thought of that before, actually.

As for the near future, the 1850's are going to be a tumultuous time for everyone in Borneo. It's going to be a fine line for the Western Borneo Sultanates and the Dutch are not going to make things better, that's for sure. You are correct in that Sarawak emissaries are not welcome in Dutch Borneo but the sultanates can send theirs to Kuching. Trouble is, the Brookes might not be there when they arrive. ;)

How is Indonesia "Javanese Empire" ?

It is simply 40something % Javanese and centralizes after series of events towards Javanese favor. But there's nothing in its constitution that says it's a Javanese state the way Malaysia has "Ketuanan Melayu".

But instability of early Indonesia will certainly bother Sarawak. Especially if Sarawak will have a leftist problem. Unlikely though, it was far from urbanized and the monarchy was extremely popular due to their genuine care for the natives. It depends on how event after event will unfold, I guess. But with no Malaysia, Indonesian perception of Northern part of the island should be quite improved vis a vis OTL.

Actually, I am planning for a leftist problem to emerge in the 1900's, it's just that its going to be more of a Timothy-MacVeigh or Lee-Harvey-Oswald problem than a mass-support problem.

Dayak Report: The Iban
Again, if I wrote anything offensive, I didn't mean so.

“Lang Endang” (Kayangan Publishing: 1999)

Dayaks: More than just A Term

313px-Young_Ibans%2C_or_Sea_Dayaks.jpg

The Iban or Sea Dayak

When Harry De Windt first started his career as Resident of the Simanggang Division in 1882, he took a particular notice to an indigenous subgroup that inhabited the area, noting that “…These, who are the most numerous of any Dyaks, are at the same time the bravest and most warlike, and in former days were greatly addicted to piracy and head hunting. They are of a dark copper colour, and although not tall men are wonderfully strong and well-built, and will endure a great amount of fatigue. They are also endowed with great courage, and are very skilful in the use of weapons, especially the Parang ilang (a type of sword) and spear.”

Today, these people are known as the Iban although back in the 1800s they were called by a different name; the Sea Dayaks. As with the Bidayuh, the term 'Iban' encompasses a multitude of tribes living along the southern parts of Sarawak, though unlike their hill cousins they possess their own form of language and are generally more coherent in terms of ethnicity and culture when compared to the more complex Bidayuh.

They are a riverine subgroup, primarily settling alongside the many rivers that flow through southern Sarawak. In terms of range, they are distributed from the marshy Sentarum Floodplains up to the Rajang River, though significant communities exist as far north as the town of Bintulu, forming a large exclave in and around modern day Brunei. Their main mode of travel is by building dugout canoes and large vessels called Prahus, travelling up and down Sarawak's rivers and coasts to build new communities or wage war with other settlements.

As with most Dayak subgroups, the Iban live in large longhouses situated alongside waterways with some structures housing entire villages of up to a hundred families! As with most Dayak longhouses, the traditional Iban dwelling is built on stilts to prevent river flooding and curious predators, as well as improving air circulation throughout the structure. The interior is partitioned lengthwise, dividing the vast inside space into two sections; an open communal floor for the village and private units for individual families.

rumah+iban.jpg

A traditional Iban longhouse preserved as a cultural museum near Simunjan. During the structure's use as a dwelling, up to fifteen Iban families lived here.

In terms of culture, the Iban can be arguably said to contribute the most to Sarawak's cultural heritage, alongside the Malays, Chinese and Indians. Among other things, the traditional rice-harvesting festival of Gawai Dayak has now expanded into a much larger celebration of Dayak cultural heritage in the north coasts of Borneo, with Dayak households holding celebrations at the end of the harvest season – which usually falls on the first of June. Originally celebrated to give thanks to the Iban deity of agriculture – Sempulang Gana – the Gawai Dayak is now a hallmark of intercultural harmony amongst the Dayak subgroups.

Another Iban contribution – though one shared with other Dayak groups – to modern Sarawak culture is the preservation of tribal tattoos, especially among the youth. Some Iban tribes believe that inking one’s body gains supernatural strength to the wearer, empowering the warrior before battle. Tattooing is also considered a hallmark of being a successful warrior, and is thus seen as status symbols. The inks are made from soot or powdered charcoal before being hand-tapped using a needle into the skin of the person, with the process taking weeks or months before reaching completion.

a1c4078b6170504f3daf4a8d00183495.jpg

A large painting showing the possible combinations of Iban tribal tattoos on a man’s back, along with with some modern designs

But of course, you readers just want to know if they still cut off people's heads, don't you?

Well, the answer is this: NO. The practice has been discontinued and is officially banned in 1965.

Speaking of such, the tradition of headhunting in itself had an interesting – if dark – history in Iban culture. Originating from around the Sentarum Plains, it is theorized that the Iban subgroup migrated to present-day Sarawak hundreds of years ago due to overpopulation and limited resources around the Kapuas River. From this period of turmoil arose the traditions of piracy and headhunting, of which the Iban are most infamously remembered. Warring tribes often took plunder from enemy longhouses, and this activity grew with time into the profession that the Western Powers encountered when they traded around Borneo. As for headhunting, it is thought that the practice emerged during one of the frequent battles for territory and became interwoven with Iban culture as time passed, with headhunting being performed for ceremonial, cultural, or personal reasons. Traditional poems and dances about the practice can still be found in the old archives at Kuching Library today.

As a result, the Iban were the most reverent practitioners of headhunting in Borneo, and this brought them into a titanic clash with the White Rajah, James Brooke. Following the success of the Bidayuh, the Rajah James tried to broker an understanding with the Iban, hoping that his Semangat – his courage – would persuade them to give up the practice. While the subgroup did have an appreciation for the concept of Semangat, the Ibans possess their own faith centered on a Supreme Being and lesser deities, and only a few tribes acquiesced with James' demands. The Rajah then used a different approach, allowing headhunting to continue but only if it is against any tribe that refused Brooke rule.

This decision split the subgroup apart, not least because Brooke rule meant the introduction of taxation, a concept unheard of for most of the Iban at the time. Nevertheless, A few more tribes did switch over to the Rajah's side, hoping to gain some measure of protection from James and his cannons. Most however, chose not to, and it was during this time that an Iban leader would rise and rebel against the new kingdom – and in doing so, cause the biggest Dayak rebellion in Sarawak history...

flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

And it would result in a lot of severed heads.

Hmm... rereading this again, I still don't think I did the Iban justice. They are the biggest ethnic group in Sarawak both in OTL and TTL and they had a freaking rich culture. Unfortunately most of said culture is also inconsequential to the TL and would've taken an eternity to piece together.

Also, hope everyone's not creeped out by the skulls at the end of the update.

Last edited:
I am not bothered by the headhunting thing - please continue. :D:D:D Also, will you in the future write a chapter or chapters about Miri (I used to live there a long time ago), especially the oil and gas industries and anything related to them such as the oldest oil platform in Sarawak (Oil Platform No.1 - I think :eek::eek::eek:), Canada Hill, etc.? :confused: Also, will the Indian community only consists of Sikhs (I remember when I was there that there was a small Sikh Gurdwara (Temple) in Miri)? Please let me know. Thank you. :):):)

Nah, skulls are nowhere near the most disturbing thing I've seen. It makes sense to talk about, given the Ibans' reputation as headhunters. I still love how Sarawak is acting as a cultural melting pot (if only at an early stage thus far, which is about right). Nice little update, sketchdoodle :).