Moonlight in a Jar: An Al-Andalus Timeline

Vic2 would be all Divergences of Darkness in a way. Though it would mean knowing what would be the Victorian period of the timeline and a world map on that.

Yeah. Has the author even stated what has happened in places like Eastern Asia?
Aceh has Islamised more or less on time iirc, though Mahajapit is still alive.

Wu China is industrialising rapidly.

Hindustan is less Muslim and more Hindu ruled though Sind and Punjab is still a Sultanate I think.

Check all the mapdates and there summaries.

Madya-as went from confederation of datus to an autocratic sultanate.

Ironic given how OTL had them fight against practically everyone like Brunei, Tondo, and Cebu, of memory serves, even the Spanish were wary of angering them before they were assimilated.

It would be interesting if Wu China ever enters a Golden Age akin to the Victorian-era. The Imperial dynasty is very much capable of producing capable Emperors, so it's likely that mass industrialization and technological progress will happen under a long-lived Emperor like a Qianlong parallel.

Alright, can anyone tell me if Almaliq and Aksu khanate are muslims? And also white horde and crimea seem Nestorian, how is their relationship with orthodox Russia? Do the orthodox clergy in Rus view the Turkic nestorians like the church in ERE of OTL? In that case will the Bataids be perceived as lesser of the 2 evils for the Crimeans ala Orthodox Serbia choosing between Catholic Hungary and Islamic ottomans?

Last edited:
Vic2 would be all Divergences of Darkness in a way. Though it would mean knowing what would be the Victorian period of the timeline and a world map on that.
A bit off-topic now, but there is a fan fork with the original creators of DoD who completely revamped the TL and made most regions more "realistic", especially regarding Asia which used to mostly consist of ad hoc solutions to make the continent more interesting and "divergent" compared to OTL. There is a fully revamped TL flying around there and on the paradoxplaza, if you're interested.

Regarding MiaJ, I'd be interested in a future MiaJ Vic II mod, since Vic II is able to semi-accurately portrait population and ideological divide within a nation, and with some event scripting, you can nudge certain nations in the direction that Hats want to see them in,

Last edited:
Is there somewhere we can organise working on it? I've been meaning to add some stuff for a while.
A lot of nations are still very much incomplete or not even created. If you're willing to add nations, then the Asmarid Empire page is the most complete out of the bunch.

Garghl. I'm starting to realize how much of my writing got done from the office during downtimes at work. It's so, so much harder to create when there are a million things distracting me at home.

COVID, y u do dis?

Woo, finally caught up after two weeks of continuous reading! This has been a ride!

This is, hands down, probably the best and my favorite AH timeline so far (and no, I won't say I'm being biased for having a soft spot for Iberian/Andalusian history). I never expected MiaJ would reach the level of detail and depth that it has. I'm left blown away after each chapter. The way political, social, economic and cultural themes are addressed and discussed, and from different perspectives at that, is simply impressive. Really a fan of the narrative writing too! There are many other things I want to point out but I wouldn't know where to begin, so I'll leave it at that.

We all understand the struggle of being concentrated and productive during quarantine, so please don't pressure or beat yourself up, Hats! Take your time and enjoy a break if you need to.

(PS: I'm really intrigued by the modern world, especially by the social aspects of Al-Andalus. I'm starting to build my own theories on those so-called 'Bullfighters of the Reconquista', but so far it's all speculation. We'll see.)

This is, hands down, probably the best and my favorite AH timeline so far (and no, I won't say I'm being biased for having a soft spot for Iberian/Andalusian history). I never expected MiaJ would reach the level of detail and depth that it has. I'm left blown away after each chapter. The way political, social, economic and cultural themes are addressed and discussed, and from different perspectives at that, is simply impressive. Really a fan of the narrative writing too! There are many other things I want to point out but I wouldn't know where to begin, so I'll leave it at that.
I'm glad that someone agrees with me on that part. There's other timelines on the site that are of similar scope and detail, both in the past and present, but MiaJ still captivates me at how natural it feels as a living, breathing world. It's kinda indescribable at how magical Moonlight is.

Kinda curious as to what the steppes around OTL Mongolia are going to be called in MiaJ, since the Mongols dissipated into the annals of history while the remaining Tatar tribal confederation are under a tributary status with Wu China. Would it be named after the Latin/Arabic term (Tataria/Tatary) or perhaps the Chinese term?

Religion is also going to be a bit interesting thanks to Qocho remaining a Buddhist/Nestorian state in the region. While it seems natural that the Tatars would adopt Buddhism (although probably not of the Tibetan kind, but one practiced by the Uyghurs and their Tocharian ancestors), there's also the chance that Nestorianism could spread further east into China and the Tatar steppe once more without the Mongols. An emergence of a permanent Nestorian group akin to the Hui would be a sight to see in this timeline, but we'll see if that happens.

Last edited:
The Chinese umbrella term for Mongolia until the 12th century appeared was Shiwei. We had a Khitan dynasty and empire here in this TL. So, may be it'd be still Shiwei or it'd be Khitania?

I agree that Qocho would be interesting to see in terms of development. Manicheanism appears to have been prominent there, at least in terms of the artwork that survives from them.

The Chinese umbrella term for Mongolia until the 12th century appeared was Shiwei. We had a Khitan dynasty and empire here in this TL. So, may be it'd be still Shiwei or it'd be Khitania?
Maybe it'll be called Shiwei for the Chinese as a whole, although I don't think the Khitans will be that notable in OTL Mongolia compared to the Zubus and the Tatars. As of 1482 they're settling around Inner Mongolia and southern Manchuria.

Because of that, I still think Tataria might become the more accepted term for the Arabs/Latins while Khitania might refer to Inner Mongolia (as a reference to the old Liao homeland and their current location) and Jurchenia could become the term for OTL Manchuria (assuming they do not become the Manchu).

I agree that Qocho would be interesting to see in terms of development. Manicheanism appears to have been prominent there, at least in terms of the artwork that survives from them.
I don't know if Manichaeism survived to 1490 in Qocho though since it seems that many Manichaean Uyghurs converted to Buddhism when they intermingled with the Tocharians as they fled to the Tarim Basin. Could be either an extinct or a dying religion in the face of the spread of Buddhism, Nestorianism, and Eastern Sunni Islam on top of potential persecution from the Imperial court in Suzhou.

Manichaeanism has definitely seen better days, largely owing to Nestorianism and Buddhism coming west and swamping it. It's been in a steep decline since the Naimans showed up.