Moonlight in a Jar: An Al-Andalus Timeline

ACT IX Part VI: The First Succession Debate, Continued
Excerpt: A History of the People and the Court in the Realm of the Banu Asmar - Majluf ibn Zurar al-Qassari al-Ifrani, AD 1544

The deliberations of the Majlis were of an import and weight they had not seen before. The men chosen to advise the Hajib had provided counsel from within their spheres, but never before had they been called upon to select the one who would carry the powers of the Commander of the Faithful across so much of the world. Called to counsel by the great Al-Nasr, they arrived at the Alcazar and assembled upon the day with immense gravity, within the hall that had been set aside for their meetings.

It was, moreover, typical of the Hajib to oversee these meetings, but Al-Nasr wisely recused himself from their deliberations, for he said that it would be unbefitting him to influence the decision of the Majlis or to show favour to his heirs and children. As such it was the qadi al-qudat Al-Haskuri who assumed the chair of the Majlis.

With Husayn ibn Al-Nasr, the second son, electing to forego his consideration in favour of his studies of the Quran, the decision came to two of Al-Nasr's scions. And here did the wisdom of Al-Nasr bear influence, for it was said that the marshal Ar-Rammag had been close with Al-Hajar, a nephew of Al-Nasr who sought the throne, but finding no purchase among the Majlis, Al-Mustakfi withdrew his support, seeing no point in moving in support of a man no one else would back to power.

Still, there was some concern among the Majlis for the candidacy of Tashfin ibn Al-Nasr, the third son. He was a man of agile gifts and driven personality, but he was known to also be close with Ar-Rammah, who desired to claim greater power for his family, the merchants of Qadis. Ar-Rammah himself sat as part of the Majlis, and when Tashfin approached to take questions from the members, it was Ar-Rammah who spoke first to praise the young man at length. It was said among many that the questions he put to Tashfin were not probing, nor deeply incisive, but so phrased as to give the man ample chance to speak to his own virtues, as though to persuade those in the Majlis who knew him little.

This worked to Tashfin's advantage, for while he was a sharp-minded man, he was known among the personages at the court for the sharpness also of his tongue. He was, in truth, a man alienated from the virtues of justice and good character, and unwilling to look upon his faults or hear that he did not approach the fullness of virtue in the eyes of God. And indeed, when questioned further by the members, his answers were more clipped and sharp. When questioned by the imam Al-Shuruti of Tawru on his charitable deeds - for indeed, he was known to have given only the minimum to those in need - Tashfin responded most sharply, saying, "I should wonder who within this chamber has given his last dinar. Is what you ask of me not beyond the expectation of any man? For if I were to give away all that I have, what would I have left to give the next man?" But while he could rebuke these questions, he could not answer them with the concreteness of his actions.

It was the remark of Al-Magili, the qadi of Sale, that he saw in Tashfin an evasiveness of character and a nature of deception through grandiosity - that he would stand upon a foundation of a weak character and conceal that fragility with sharpness and hostility, that those who saw through him would be cowed by the boldness he presented. This was the observation of Al-Magili, who was a scholar well versed in the great thinkers, but also a studier of the ancient traditions of the persuasive word. He more than any knew well the ways the word could be twisted into lies and deceit, and he saw this in Tashfin and Ar-Rammah clearly. But such words can be most persuasive, and as the fifth son of Al-Nasr, the young Abd ar-Rahim, approached the Majlis for his days of consideration, Al-Magili is said to have told colleagues that he could see the Majlis slowly being persuaded in favour of Tashfin.

There was great contrast in the questioning of Tashfin and that of Abd ar-Rahim. The memebrs were surprised when Ar-Rammah once more spoke first, and while his questions to Tashfin had been fawning, those he directed at Abd ar-Rahim were sharp as daggers. His questioning demanded he answer for what Ar-Rammah called a lack of interest in statecraft, a perceived diffidence, and the fact that he had never taken up arms in the jihad, though indeed neither had Tashfin.

Where Tashfin had spoken with defensive anger, however, Abd ar-Rahim met the questions with a quiet grace. He more than his half-brother showed his humility in his answers. At one point, when asked by the qadi of Lishbuna to speak of why he wished to follow in his father's footsteps, Abd ar-Rahim gave the answer: "Because I have been given the honour of learning much of the ways to best serve the ummah, and it would be selfish of me to let that knowledge go unused. My beloved father has carried the banner of the Caliph with honour and faith for many years. I can but hope to honour his example. Perhaps that will not be so. I accept that. But I wish to give."

"And what will you give if it is the will of the Hajib that another shall serve?" asked Gharsiya, the Bishop of the Rum of Tulaytulah, who had theretofore been silent.

"I shall give my utmost unto my brother or any other," answered Abd ar-Rahim without hesitation.

It was at this point that Ar-Rammah spoke again, saying: "From what you say, you have no need or wish to act as the agent of the Caliph. You come before us to seek this honour, yet you contradict yourself when you say that you would give of yourself without it. Why, then, should this body place its faith in you? Why is it that you ask us to place a faith in you that you do not place in yourself?"

Again Abd ar-Rahim did not hesitate: "If what you ask is why I desire to serve as God and the ummah will of me, the answer you seek lies in the Quran."

With Ar-Rammah caught startled by this response, then spoke the qadi of Sale: "I should find this line of inquiry interesting, would you not," said Al-Magili. "That we, speaking here for the ummah, should imply that it is somehow a mark against a man that he would respect the will of the ummah. We have come here to make a determination on behalf of all of the Muslims, as I recall. Is your understanding thus?"

"My understanding is," said Abd ar-Rahim. "No man who calls himself a Muslim would hear the will of the ummah expressed and then think himself proper in imposing his own will upon it. You come here to exercise the powers of the ulema through this council. Some have said this is a change, but again, the answer lies in the Quran and the precedent set by the companions of the Prophet. We are discussing wielding powers that are delegated from the Commander of the Faithful, and as such it is appropriate for that guidance to come from the mujtahidin,[1] as is convention. Who am I to place my own will above that of the ulema?"

"Who is any Muslim to do so, for that matter," opined Al-Magili. "But your words are wise."

The questioning carried on in some measure, but from this exchange, Ar-Rammah spoke no more, and sat in silence.

The day that passed in the following of Abd ar-Rahim's time before the majlis was one of consideration by the men of the council. No man, in truth, can know the full detail of what was spoken among the wise men, as their deliberations were held in the absence of either of the brothers, with the doors closed to prohibit outside influencers. What is known is that as the sun began to set on the even, the qadi al-qadat emerged from the chambers and read out the decision of the council: That the mantle of hajib would pass to Abd ar-Rahim upon the death of his father.

Upon hearing word of the decision, Abd ar-Rahim fell to his knees and gave praise to God, and bowed his head in gratitude and humility. But while Tashfin gave him his congratulations, there was a sullenness in his words. And indeed, there was an absence in the room as the members of the Majlis emerged, for the marshal Ar-Rammah was nowhere to be found, and though some searched for him, he was found to have returned home to pray. And it was said among some members of the council, in confidence to their fellows, that the decision in favour of Abd ar-Rahim had not been close - for while Ar-Rammah had been the loudest voice in favour of Tashfin, the support he had felt around him in the prior days had been swept away as dust before a southern wind.

~

"The majlis has made their decision," Saqi the eunuch remarked quietly as he began to pour steaming tea into the little ceramic cup by the bedside. "As expected, it will be Abd ar-Rahim."

"And is Ar-Rammah going to make an issue of it?" Al-Nasr murmured from where he lay propped up against the pillows. The evening breeze tugged playfully at the curtains of the nearby window, the moonlight dancing with the candlelight in the room to lend a dreamlike air to his evening rest.

The dusky-skinned eunuch shook his head as he delicately deposited a single cube of sugar into the tea and stirred - just as Al-Nasr liked it. "It wasn't unanimous, but none of the dissenters were willing to be seen as taking up arms against the will of the ummah. Al-Magili made certain of that. His rhetoric really was impeccable. Your son is a little upset by it all, of course. Your tea, my lord?"

"You're kind, Saqi." Al-Nasr accepted the hot cup, blowing gently across the top of it. "As for Tashfin... he'll live."

"If I might say so, you and Abd ar-Rahim played a very roundabout game with him, dragging this all out into the public arena." It was hardly the first time Saqi had delivered that sort of frank assessment - but Al-Nasr hardly held it against him. It was Saqi's political wit that had made him invaluable in these latter years of his life.

The old hajib crinkled his nose. "He made this harder than it had to be. If I had picked anyone other than him, Tashfin would have found allies and pushed his way into position. I spent all these long years trying to keep both sides of the strait from sticking spears into one another over every little grievance. We have powerful enemies now. The last thing we need is another war. Another foolish war with ourselves."

With a look out through the window, Al-Nasr found his gaze rising towards the crescent of the moon, hanging high over the minarets and domes of Isbili. His thin fingers relaxed a little around the heat of the cup, its fine porcelain from the farthest east a reminder of just how far they had come. "Truthfully, I won't be around much longer," he murmured distantly. "That is why it had to be this way. If I have to publicly shame my son into not throwing a tantrum that would destroy everything I worked for, then so be it. When I am gone, I would much rather be the cynic who outplayed his own son for the sake of his people, rather than the last flicker of honest light shining upon a people slipping from the glow of history. Perhaps it is grandiose of me to think that way." He smiled, thin and self-effacing. "...But allow an old man this indulgence."

"I promise not to tell God, my lord," Saqi murmured with a perfectly straight face.

Al-Nasr barked out a short, dry laugh. "I knew I trusted you for a reason! Now, be a dear and pass me a slice of the melon, won't you?"[2]

[1] Those who practice ijtihad - the effort a legal jurist puts into considering complex questions of fiqh.
[2] Bold act of democracy, or cynical scheme to keep the realm from exploding on succession? You decide.

SUMMARY:
1492: The First Succession Debate ends with the Majlis choosing Abd ar-Rahim as the successor to Al-Nasr. The debate effectively cuts the knees out from under a planned coup by Al-Nasr's son Tashfin and a handful of sympathetic lords.

Last edited:
afb.gif

My reaction when this dropped....I missed this timeline so much.

This is definitely one of the best posts I've seen in a long while. So much political intrigue and intense rhetoric wrapped up in what basically is a trial to decide the best Hajib to lead the ascendant Asmarid Empire, and I think Abd ar-Rahim will be a fine successor to what the great Al-Nasr has done. Sucks to see Tashfin be utterly humiliated by his own family and a qadi, but Al-Nasr really says it best: better to sacrifice the son for the people than to possibly see Al-Andalus's moonlight dim once more. I see more of it as a cynical ploy to maintain a healthy succession than a noble attempt of reviving democracy (Although the Andalusi are probably the most republican out of the Muslim powers right now) but if that is the result then I can't really complain, can't I?

Al-Andalus is only going to get a lot more interesting from hereon out under the Asmarids and I can't wait for how these people are gonna fly into the 16th century and beyond after this.

The palm has grown over the centuries and now we're going to see it truly bear the finest of fruits. Only a matter of time before one gets picked, eh?

afb.gif

My reaction when this dropped....I missed this timeline so much.

This is definitely one of the best posts I've seen in a long while. So much political intrigue and intense rhetoric wrapped up in what basically is a trial to decide the best Hajib to lead the ascendant Asmarid Empire, and I think Abd ar-Rahim will be a fine successor to what the great Al-Nasr has done. Sucks to see Tashfin be utterly humiliated by his own family and a qadi, but Al-Nasr really says it best: better to sacrifice the son for the people than to possibly see Al-Andalus's moonlight dim once more. I see more of it as a cynical ploy to maintain a healthy succession than a noble attempt of reviving democracy (Although the Andalusi are probably the most republican out of the Muslim powers right now) but if that is the result then I can't really complain, can't I?

Al-Andalus is only going to get a lot more interesting from hereon out under the Asmarids and I can't wait for how these people are gonna fly into the 16th century and beyond after this.

The palm has grown over the centuries and now we're going to see it truly bear the finest of fruits. Only a matter of time before one gets picked, eh?
It's no secret I've been at the bottom of a rut, and not just in TL terms. Even my work work has felt like an ordeal over the past little while. The second lockdown has been utterly draining. I'm starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel, though, and I'm feeling some of that energy coming back now that I'm able to get outside and live again.

My day job is working behind the scenes of politics, and one thing that's true is that nothing happens in politics that goes against the interests of the initiator unless they're being held under extreme duress. Principle can play a part in things, sure, but it tends to come out in ways that don't destabilize the power structures of the people making the change. In this case, Al-Nasr is enough of a visionary that he can see the history of the Andalusian and Maghrebi realms - internecine wars, expansion to the Pyrenees, shifting of dynasties, succession assassinations and coups - and realizes that he's just added both of these brews into a single massive jar of mixed moonlight, hence the need for something more to try and tamp down inclinations towards breaking up everything he's built over the years. Instead of overthrows and bigger-army diplomacy, he's trying to put a structure around it to give troublemakers a venue to be heard without a fight - and to make clear that even if they lose, they'd be going against the broader ummah.

In the long term, this might weaken the hajib and empower the Majlis. But for right now, it gives Al-Nasr what he needs.

Pushing that chapter out seems to have broken a bit of a mental logjam. Expect another chapter soon. We're entering a new phase of history here: Christian kingdoms other than Angland are beginning to nose around the Gharb al-Aqsa and the Indian Ocean. We'll see how history unfolds when Asmarid trade hegemony is no longer uncontested.

It's no secret I've been at the bottom of a rut, and not just in TL terms. Even my work work has felt like an ordeal over the past little while. The second lockdown has been utterly draining. I'm starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel, though, and I'm feeling some of that energy coming back now that I'm able to get outside and live again.
I'm glad that you're doing well. Things have been tough ever since the pandemic but you're right: there's a light at the end of the tunnel and we're pretty close to reaching it (I hope....).

Principle can play a part in things, sure, but it tends to come out in ways that don't destabilize the power structures of the people making the change. In this case, Al-Nasr is enough of a visionary that he can see the history of the Andalusian and Maghrebi realms - internecine wars, expansion to the Pyrenees, shifting of dynasties, succession assassinations and coups - and realizes that he's just added both of these brews into a single massive jar of mixed moonlight, hence the need for something more to try and tamp down inclinations towards breaking up everything he's built over the years. Instead of overthrows and bigger-army diplomacy, he's trying to put a structure around it to give troublemakers a venue to be heard without a fight - and to make clear that even if they lose, they'd be going against the broader ummah.
While Al-Nasr's decision is a logical one, I do wonder on whether his decision could've been replicated by the Roman Emperor or the Anglish King (both of them could possibly have the Senate and the Witenagemot respectively) that can relegate succession to an outside political entity like what he did with the Majlis. If not, then maybe the unique governmental structure of Al-Andalus (the Hajib is merely a representative of the Caliph with no claims of divine right / noble blood) or even the cultural values of the Andalusi/Maghrebi (a culture that probably prizes bureaucracy, humility, and self-service to the people) has allowed Al-Nasr to devolve his power without sacrificing his or ar-Rahim's legitimacy in the eyes of the ummah as the Hajib, something that can't really replicated in any other contemporary monarchical government.

Principle might not have been Al-Nasr's primary motive, but it isn't very common to see a ruler do something like what he did in order to preserve the people's well-being.

Pushing that chapter out seems to have broken a bit of a mental logjam. Expect another chapter soon. We're entering a new phase of history here: Christian kingdoms other than Angland are beginning to nose around the Gharb al-Aqsa and the Indian Ocean. We'll see how history unfolds when Asmarid trade hegemony is no longer uncontested.
Very excited to see where this goes next. While I did say that the Algarves would be a fantastic place to move to for ACT IX (I'd practically die if we get to see an Andalusi expedition in the Meshishib like OTL Lewis & Clark or anything involving the Otomi Alliance or Cawania), the Indian Ocean is also pretty tantalizing as well. Denmark was already reaching Kilwa during the initial post to ACT IX, so it's fair to say that they would eventually reach Hindustan and beyond by 1492, as well as the Anglish or even the Romanians.

I can only see the Andalusi/Maghrebi, Anglish, Romanians, and the Danish to be major European players in the Indian Ocean during the early 16th century though, since France is probably economically crippled after the war and lacks much naval expertise compared to their Western European neighbors (is probably just focusing on combating the Romanians and the Germans atm) while the Romans dashed their hopes at confronting Asmarid interests in the East when they didn't take Egypt. The Dutch and the Germans might come later on, but who knows when they will set out to the open ocean.

India is full of fierce competitors of many different religions (the Eastern Sunni Nimanni, the Buddhist Radhas, the Hindu Seuna/Hoysalas, and etc.) so things might become even more chaotic as both Western Sunni/Christians intrude even further into the subcontinent.

Last edited:
ACT IX Part VII: Christendom Enters the Global Trade Network
Excerpt: Blackpowder Empires: The Early Modern Age - Guigues Montpelhier, Epic Libropress, AD 1996

The years following the First Succession Debate would lay the groundwork for the Asmarid Empire's entry into an age of change, one in which Moorish economic dominance of global trade lanes would no longer be undisputed. Even as the debate was ongoing, Christian kingdoms across Europe were beginning to make moves beyond their borders, pushing the frontiers of their trading universes beyond the Cape of Storms and over the Atlantic Ocean to delve into Hindustan and the Farthest West.

In some respects, the new maritime push out of Europe was a consequence of the Cantabrian Wars and the collapse of the remaining Christian kingdoms in Iberia. Most common people in the former kingdoms of Santiago and Navarre had stayed put, lacking the means to emigrate following the conquest of the north by Al-Nasr and the Asmarids. Rich merchants and noblemen, however, had the means and the wealth to leave the Iberian Peninsula. These men and their families scattered throughout Christendom, bringing with them knowledge gleaned from centuries of close contact with their Moorish neighbours. While this knowledge would contribute in areas such as culture and medicine, the most immediate effect was on shipbuilding and navigation.

The sudden glut of experienced Iberian merchant captains in ports from Italy to Norway provided both new insights into shipbuilding and new revelations on areas of the world theretofore little known by Christians, save the pioneering Anglish and their existing ventures in King Robart's Land, Helenia and St. Albans. Further impetus to explore beyond Europe came from tales carried from the hajj of Muhammad Mahbat, laying the foundation for the myth of the fabulously wealthy Far West. More and more, Christian rulers were inspired to join the Anglish in maritime ventures, no realms moreso than Denmark and Romania.

The Danish and Romanian kingdoms had made initial strides around the time of Muhammad Mahbat's hajj: That same year, the Danish navigator Anders Thordssen had reached Kilwa on the eastern coast of Sudan, while the Romanian Ramon de Seta and the Santiagonian exile Balduino of Coruna had made landfall on the islands of Setania in the Far West. It would be the Danish who would mount the most ambitious push in the wake of these decisions, funding an ambitious second voyage by Thordssen in 1487. This voyage would stop in Zanzibar before pushing across the sea to reach the Maldive Islands and on to Hindustan before returning to Denmark once more.

In 1493, the Danish sought to capitalize on their discoveries by establishing their own trading post route to Hindustan, circumventing Bataid tariffs that made trade with the East by land a challenge. An expedition led by the søfarer[1] Markus Simonssen - in fact a Normando Santiagonian named Marco Jimenez - traveled to the Thordssen Channel[2] with intent to establish a waystation for ships passing to Hindustan. The four-ship venture settled on the offshore archipelago now known as the St. Ansgar Islands[3] as an ideal spot to build, well away from potential hostilities from Bantu tribes on the mainland. A location was selected on the west-central cape of the largest island, given the name of Dragenland[4], and ground was broken on the trade hub of Stenby. The Christian church still visible at Cape Stenby is considered the oldest European Christian building in the Sudan.

Danish efforts to establish makzan-style tributary ports in the cities subject to Kilwa would bear far less fruit - the sultanates along the coastal Sudan were wealthy and well-equipped, and trade with Maghrebi and Andalusi merchants had accustomed them to dealing with outsiders - but the hub at Stenby would prove valuable enough to launch Danish trading ambitions further eastward, into cities along the Hindustan coast. By 1496, another Danish expedition had cut a deal with the Hoysala officials around the city of Kochi, then a thriving hub of the spice trade and a frequent stop for Moorish traders. The city's rulers gave permission for the Danish to erect a fort at what was then a small fishing village outside the city itself. That fort would grow into Fort St. Lucius, the centrepiece of Denmark's trading effort in Hindustan and a particular flashpoint for future grievances between Moorish and Danish mercantile interests.[5]

Danish efforts in the Far West were no less engaged, particularly when scholars of history began to compare their maps to charts brought north by Iberian seafarers and discovered that some of the old sagas about "Heavenland" might have some basis in fact. A Danish expedition had nosed around Barshil in the 1460s, a few years after the visit of Galin Keats on behalf of the Anglish, but the søfarer Emil Kroon - or rather, Emilio of Coruña, an Iberian - made the first in-depth exploration of Alasca on behalf of the Danish crown.

Kroon's expedition went beyond known Anglish territory to the south, instead pushing into the gulf south of Barshil and north of Elderbeve - the body of water known today as Assumption Bay, named for Kroon arriving on the Christian solemn day of the Assumption.[6] The expedition traveled a ways down the Great Assumption River[7] and made landfall in a few places, most notably at the site marked by Kroon as Fyrland.[8] The landing party found local Innu seal hunters operating out of the area, managing a peaceful exchange that saw the Danish expedition return home with a modest cargo of seal furs.

*​

Romanian interest in the Far West was driven in large part by an influx of Basque whalers and merchants out of Navarre. Gascony had maintained strong ties of language and culture with the Navarrese realm, and merchants leaving newly-held Moorish territory found themselves at home in centres like Bordeu and Baiona, where many of them could carry on previous occupations with little other change. Some of these emigrants found opportunity by lending their navigational skills to the Romanian crown, which built on the discovery of Setania by pressing westward to further scour the coast of northern Alasca.

The 1492 expedition of Olivièr de Baiona saw a group of four Romanian ships explore the edges of the Pearl Sea and the mainland in the wake of the Meridian War. De Baiona, a veteran of the Battle of Santa Maria di Leuca a few years prior, had picked up a broad selection of good sailing practices from Moorish, Basque and Venetian mariners during the course of his duties, and he'd parlayed that knowledge into service to King Guilhem's cause. His expedition scouted the eastern coast of the Kharshuf Peninsula[9] and continued north from there to chart the coast of the land he (somewhat ephemerally) called New Rome as far north as Guilhem Bay.[10]

De Baiona's notable landing was at the site of present-day Romulus on Saints Victor and Corona Bay, at the confluence of the rivers named for those two martyrs.[11] While he didn't establish a settlement there, De Baiona marked the site with a large stone cross engraved with the New Rome appellation and the name of King Guilhem. A follow-up expedition in 1495 by Romieu Tierrès would further explore the tip of Kharshuf and scout the Andalusi-controlled islands of the Pearl Sea, stopping first at Mansurat al-Gharbiyah on Al-Gattas, then at Ekab in Al-Quwaniyyah, before looping back around Al-Gattas en route back to Romania proper.

Anglish and Danish interests in the Farthest West placed greater emphasis on the north, where Andalusian sailors had been reluctant to expand past their enclaves in Barshil for fear of the cold climate. Sailors from Denmark and the north of Angland were far more accustomed to sailing in cold waters, and they translated those proclivities into a preference for exploring cool-temperate areas the Moors largely overlooked. Gascon and Basque sailors, on the other hand, were more likely to visit slightly warmer areas and notable fishing and whaling grounds already favoured by Moorish anglers, whalers and merchantmen, and their loose alliance with the Asmarids gave them more freedom to co-mingle with Muslims in the Farthest West without issue. Explorers under Romanian contract were thus more free to probe the southern reaches of North Alasca, trading more regularly with Far West Moorish communities and relying less on piracy and more on mercantile activities.

Romanian exploration efforts shared a commonality with the Danish in that both kingdoms were in no rush to begin large-scale overseas conquests or settlement efforts. Denmark, a smaller kingdom, didn't have the capacity to bankroll sending armies or vast numbers of settler expeditions overseas, nor the budget to maintain huge distant colonies. The Romanian concern was more martial: King Guilhem seems to have preferred to keep his men closer to home in the hopes of staving off potential wars with France and the Holy Roman Empire, particularly with territorial claims in Italy and the Arelat continuing to worsen relationships with the German Kaiser. Both powers, in other words, had every incentive to pursue overseas policies similar to those the Hizamids had pioneered generations prior: Setting up coastal trading post empires to swap goods with native populations.

The Romanians' search for wealth to bankroll future campaigns against their continental rivals would make it all the more vital for them to connect with the prosperous Asmarid-controlled trade networks in the Pearl Sea rim. As such, while the coast of New Rome would see some attention, Gascon sailors continued to largely operate from Setania, establishing the trading station of Saint Saturnin[12] to support ships coming and going into Asmarid-controlled waters.

One key advantage enjoyed by the Romanians was easier access to the southern half of the Far West. Most Christian exploration had stayed in the Pearl Sea region or further north along the Alascan coast, but in 1496, the navigator Berenguer Marcès traveled much of the southern half of the supercontinent, reaching lands discovered 150 years prior by Ziri ibn Abbad but not truly explored or settled. Marcès' first expedition took him along the coast of Ibn Abbad's Ard al-Wasu[13] and its associated bay. The expedition had access to Moorish charts, but few expeditions had explored much inland following Ibn Abbad's trip, a trend reflected in local placenames: Marcès identified the lands he discovered as part of "Vaçeu," but the bay itself was renamed Princess Isabeu Bay in honour of King Guilhem's oldest daughter.

Marcès would return in 1498 with four ships and a charter from Guilhem, establishing the first permanent mainland trading post in the Far West: The city of Sant-Laurenç, overlooking Princess Isabeu Bay. The settlement continues to be populated today, but its earliest days saw it existing primarily as a Romanian trading post and timbering station where ambitious traders could gather Pernambuco wood and dye for sale back on the continent. Romanian attention would remain closely focused on the Pernambuco-wood trade, with Vaçeu becoming their main centre of new settlement and expansion.

As for Marcès, his charts of the coast would prove far more accurate than Ibn Abbad's. His exploration of the region was so thorough, including a third voyage further south, that the southern half of the Far West eventually came to bear his name: Berengaria.[14]

*​

The Anglish would remain the most potent rivals of the Asmarids in the Far West, largely owing to their combination of funding, manpower and a lack of major continental rivals ready to go to war with them on a lark. Anglish ambition in the west brought them into contention not only with the Asmarids, but with Romania and, later, with other powers with eyes on Atlantic Continent territory. Tensions with Romania emerged as early as 1494, when the Archbishops of York and Roskilde ratified the Treaty of Granham, an agreement between the Anglish and Danish monarchies to divide Alasca between them. Danish claims to the continent north of Helenia were recognized, with the Anglish granted the right to claim all land from a line equidistant between Elderbeve and Helenia on south to "the lands settled by the Mohammedans" - a claim which ignored De Baiona's claims in territory the Treaty ceded to Angland.

The Treaty of Granham would be one of many wedges that would widen the growing fractures in Christian unity, testing the concepts of council ecumenism introduced following the Council of Imola. The Pope himself would weigh in on behalf of Romania in the matter: The bull Inter alia res, issued in 1496, recognized the Anglo-Danish dividing line but acknowledged Guilhem Bay as the northern bound of a Romanian claim, while putting off claims in the south of the new continent to a future council. Clergy in most of Mediterranean Christendom accepted the bull as valid, but ecclesiastical councils in Angland and Denmark issued their own rulings declaring the Pope's ruling invalid in the face of the preexisting Granham accord.

Irrespective of Romanian and Papal complaints about Granham, the Anglish continued to press their interests in the Far West. Their initial settlement at King's Town[15] had struggled in its first decade, but new settlers began to arrive in the 1490s, helping to grow the fledgling colony from a simple pirate base into a trading post dealing particularly in furs. The most notable infusion came in 1496, when 1,000 Anglish soldiers arrived following an attack on King's Town by the Wampanoag the year prior in which several settlers had been killed or captured.

Tensions with the native peoples of the region had run high almost since the Anglish settled. While initial trading relationships had been fairly cordial, native groups like the Wampanoag and Narragansett were heavily afflicted by diseases introduced by the Anglish settlers, and disputes between the two sides increasingly tended to end with the Anglish demonstrating the considerable advantages brought by steel and blackpowder weapons. The 1495 attack was apparently sparked by a severe outbreak of disease among the Wampanoag, which tribal leaders blamed on the Anglish. The arriving soldiers established a garrison outside King's Town - the fort of Prince Edgar - and proceeded to mount a punitive campaign against the Wampanoag.

The Anglish campaign was short and brutal. Disease had taken its toll on the Wampanoag already, and the professional Anglish troops arrived with modern armour, horses and blackpowder arms. The bloodiest battle of the conflict - the Battle of Arvid's Hill, against the Assonet clan - saw nearly 500 natives slaughtered at a cost of just twelve Anglish. Before long, the settlers had forced the surrounding tribes to humiliating submission agreements, obliging them to abandon ancestral hunting grounds to Anglish settlers and traders. New farming settlements began to grow as Anglish settlers moved into these newly-conquered lands, solidifying the Anglish presence in the region.

More directly concerning were continued Anglish pushes into trade lanes controlled until then almost exclusively by Asmarid-chartered merchants. In 1494, an Anglish expedition led by Darwin Kennericksson reached Warsheikh. The following year, a force of six Anglish skenes ambushed several Andalusian trade ships in the area before making landfall at the River Pra, establishing the first Anglish fort along the Sudani coast: Fort Darwin.[16]

In Berengaria and the Pearl Sea, meanwhile, the sugar plantations established by John Robinred at St. Albans would spur further colonial interest, while driving Anglish interests in the slave trade. Robinred's operation was the first to begin importing slaves from the Sudan, first via Muslim traders, later coming through traders operating out of Fort Darwin. The profits realized through the sugar trade spurred more Anglish efforts to explore the Berengarian coast, scouting for areas sufficiently outside the Asmarid patrol routes that new operations could be settled there.

*​

In mid-August of 1494, two years after the First Succession Debate, hajib Al-Nasr finally died in his sleep. The seeds he'd sown in the Debate did their job: Abd ar-Rahim was appointed the new hajib the next day without contestation, though contemporary histories report that Tashfin withdrew from court life thereafter before sailing overseas to pursue his fortune in the sugar industry on Al-Gattas.

It would fall to Abd ar-Rahim to manage the complexities of these new challenges to heretofore-uncontested Asmarid mercantile monopolies, but he had the advantage of doing so with the support of the greater bulk of the court and the public behind him. Most histories reflect on Abd ar-Rahim as less dynamic and transformative a hajib as Al-Nasr, interpreting his rule primarily as a period of stable governance by a steady hand - itself a remarkable situation given the tendency of governments to weaken substantially following the death of a great ruler. The fact of Asmarid stability and unity in the wake of the First Succession Debate speaks to the success of Al-Nasr in pulling the teeth of potential succession disputes, albeit at the cost of giving the Majlis a louder voice in the affairs of state.

Abd ar-Rahim responded quickly to word of Anglish piracy extending into the coast of Binu by sparking the micro-conflict known as the Pepperbight War. A fleet of twenty safinas was dispatched to the Sudani coastline, and a new Asmarid qasbah was set up at Mushtari on the island of Mihwaria, transforming the long-standing waystation and makzan into a major Asmarid holding in the region. The newly-established Mihwaria flotilla engaged about a dozen Anglish ships at the Battle Off Adoakyir, sinking several of them and scattering the rest at a loss of two safinas. The force sailed on to attack Fort Darwin, but the Anglish held out despite losses and damage to their fleet, ensuring that the fort would remain a nuisance in the region. A subsequent agreement signed in 1498 saw the Anglish pay a nominal sum of gold in exchange for losses and agree on paper not to plunder ships on the Sudani trade routes, but in practice no pirate alive was going to give much respect to the paper agreement, and Anglish freebooters continued to harass Asmarid (and increasingly Nasrid, Simala and Romanian) ships - a trend of piracy which drove further growth to Mihwaria to support the naval garrison.

[1] Seafarer.
[2] The Mozambique Channel
[3] The Bazaruto Islands, off Mozambique.
[4] Bazaruto Island boasts a large population of crocodiles.
[5] This fort is named for Pope Lucius I. His relics wound up in Denmark in this timeline, too.
[6] The Gulf of St. Lawrence.
[7] The St. Lawrence River, of course.
[8] The area of Tadoussac, at the confluence of the Saguenay and St. Lawrence Rivers. The name means, roughly, "pine land."
[9] Florida.
[10] The US Atlantic coast roughly from northeast Florida to Onslow Bay, North Carolina.
[11] Charleston, South Carolina. The rivers in question are the Ashley and the Cooper.
[12] St. George, Bermuda.
[13] Coastal Bahia, Brazil, centred on the site of Salvador.
[14] The Atlantic Continent is divided into two halves in Christian telling: Alasca in the north, Berengaria in the south. The Cawanian Isthmus connects them.
[15] King's Town is a trading post located roughly at the site of New Bedford, Massachusetts.
[16] Not far from the OTL Portuguese fort at San Sebastian.

SUMMARY:
1487: The Second Thordssen Expedition reaches the Maldives and mainland Hindustan.
1488: The Kroon Expedition sails down the Great Assumption River and mounts the first serious exploration of Fyrland, marking first contact with the Innu.
1493: The Danish establish the ship servicing hub of Stenby on Dragenland Island near the Thordssen Channel.
1494: The Anglish establish Fort Darwin near the Pra River in the coastal Sudan.
1494: The Treaty of Granham divides Alasca between Angland and Denmark.
1495: The Battle Off Adoakyir sees Asmarid ships operating from a new qasbah at Mushtari score a naval victory over Anglish freebooters. They are, however, unable to dislodge the Anglish from Fort Darwin.
1496: The Danish break ground on Fort St. Lucius near Kochi, establishing their central spice-trading hub in Hindustan.
1496: The Anglo-Wampanoag War sees Anglish troops brutally put down unrest among the disease-ravaged Wampanoag of Helenia. The resulting massacres and concessions push Wampanoag tribes out of prime hunting land and create new growth opportunities for Anglish colonists.
1496: The Pope, supported by Romanian bishops, issues a bull nullifying the Treaty of Granham and recognizing Romanian claims in Alasca. The Anglish and Danish clergy proceed to nullify the bull through their own ecclesiastical councils.
1498: The Pepperbight War concludes with the Anglish paying out paltry reparations to the Asmarids and agreeing (with firmly crossed fingers) to be very good boys and not engage in piracy in the Sudan anymore. No pirate alive listens.
1498: The Romanian Berenguer Marcès founds the Pernambuco wood trading post of Sant-Laurenç on the Vaçeu coast.

What a flurry of events. I almost can't keep up with what's going on with the world, but man I'm so excited for what's to come in the 16th century!
A glorious age of exploration, trade, conquest, and piracy. I can see why Iqal absolutely loves this age of sail and steam.....
  • Iberian Flight
    • So we're seeing Christians fleeing Al-Andalus as a result of the Cantabrian Wars, which was to be expected. Although, it should be noted that from this post that this is all rich and well-connected Christian nobles and merchants that are fleeing towards Christendom.
    • This seems like a complete inverse of the Morisco expulsions IOTL, where the poor Muslims were kicked out of the peninsula, fleeing towards Muslim lands like North Africa and the Ottoman Empire. The Jews were also kicked out in a similar manner to the Muslims as well.
    • It should be very interesting to see how Iberian culture will intermix with Romanian/Italian, Nordic, and Germanic cultures all across Christendom. I still think Anglish and Danish food will continue to be terrible compared to Andalusi food though.
    • Would the flight cause an eventual radicalization among some Iberians who left? Eventually some crazy Christians might want to try the Reconquista again, although we'll see if that's the case.
  • Danish Expansion into the Algarves / Hindustan
    • So Denmark is embarking on a similar model to the Andalusi in India? It makes sense, considering Denmark has infinitely less population than the Asmarid Empire, so a makzan model centered around trade is a natural fit for these Dragon sailors. Even the Andalusi aren't willing to go toe-to-toe with any of the Indian polities just so they can establish a permanent colonial presence in the region.
    • The only exception seems to be in OTL Canada, where the Andalusi presence is absolutely zero and their population is completely comfortable with the cold conditions of Heavenland and beyond, making trading posts and settler colonies a likely possibility.
    • Hopefully we'll get to see a Danish Canada in this timeline, with them being the fur traders of the region akin to the French. They'll eventually have to contend with Angland though in the region, as their interests conflict despite their friendly relationship.
  • Romanian Expansion into the Algarves
    • Romania definitely has a more proactive involvement in Alasca as a whole than their Nordic neighbors, as they're probing into the southern parts of the continent, especially the Eastern Seaboard, although whether they will settle there will be something of great interest. Maybe we'll see Romania and Andalus fight it out over the Meshishib and the Kharshuf, although judging from the post, any Romanian trading post in the Algarves seems to be quite ephemeral, at the very least.
    • Not to mention they've effectively mapped out the southern continent, leading to it being called Berengaria....that's definitely something to put into the wiki, for sure.
    • Can I just say at how pissed the actual Romans would be when they find out that the Romanians have been basically using Roman names from Antiquity like Romulus/Remus in the New World? That's their history, for goodness sake!
  • Anglish Expansion into the Algarves
    • Unlike both Denmark and Romania, the Anglish have the highest chance of establishing settler colonies in Alasca and become the primary rival to Asmarid colonial interests in the continent thanks to their higher pool of manpower, lack of continental enemies, and an earlier foot in the gate.
    • While most colonies at the moment are probably just fur trading posts, I could see King's Town evolve into an actual city that specializes in trading goods such as wheat, lumber, and other naval supplies as Angland expands further into native lands and gains access to the resources of the interior. Maybe it'll become the New York/Amsterdam of this world?
    • Not to mention, if Angland acquires lands further south of Helenia, like in Romulus, then it's possible that sugar/indigo/cotton/rice cultivation will be very much possible for them, if the Asmarids don't require the region first. Regardless, slaves will be an integral part of both countries' colonies due to how profitable cash crop economies will be in the southern part of Alasca.
  • Treaty of Granham
    • Sounds like the Treaty of Tordesillas, but instead it just divides North America in two or three parts, depending on which Christian is looking at it.
    • Considering how unwilling the Muslims are in trying to claim more land to the north, it's fair to say that OTL Canada and the northern parts of America will be solidly Christian from now on, but which denomination these lands will follow should be interesting.
    • We're also seeing some major contentions between the Nordics and the Mediterraneans with the treaty, since Romania is willing to abide by the Pope (because his revision favors them) while Angland/Denmark are actively ignoring the bull. A schism seems likely within the lands of Christendom if this sort of friction continues.
  • Anglo-Wampanoag War
    • A very tragic part of Native history with the Anglish inadvertently causing the natives to die from disease due to contact, only for them to be solidly massacred at the hands of European weapons when they tried to resist, leading to the loss of historic land. Very likely to become a repeating cycle across multiple fronts.
    • This can only realistically get worse from here, and I think the Anglish will become the most belligerent among the Christians against the Native Alascans as they continue to spread wildly across the continent, especially if they begin settling across Helenia and other regions in large droves.
    • Makes me wonder whether they will adopt a similar ideology of anti-Native superiority to justify their imperialist expansion, although will it be influenced by Andalusi cultural chauvinism or reflect along racial lines like in OTL? I bet on the former, since there's a huge presence of free blacks in the New World while Maghrebi nobles/cash crop barons are already a part of St. Albans.
  • The Pepperbight War and the rise of Piracy
    • Another conflict between Angland and Andalus, although it seems to be very minor.
    • What if Asmarid officials start to recommend sending naval advisers and shipbuilders to their African trading partners and allies like in Ubinu and Nsikongo while also bolstering existing fleets in Simala as a result of Anglish aggression in the Bight of Binu.
      • More African naval powers? Yes please!
    • Pirates are definitely going to be an eternal plague for practically every merchant in the Atlas from now on, much to the collective groan of every trade family in Europe. On top of increased naval buildup, some kind of financial protection is probably going to be necessary with waters this insecure, in the case that those ships get sunk or plundered.

This theme is just gonna keep playing in my head whenever this timeline posts something......hahahaha. If only there was a Muslim version of this somewhere.

Romania having overseas colonies is gonna make them dependent on keeping neutral-to-good relations with the Asmarids. Hard to keep your supply lines running if the guys who control the Strait of Gibraltar have shoot-on-sight orders.

Unless Romania makes a grab at Aquitaine... hmm...

What a flurry of events. I almost can't keep up with what's going on with the world, but man I'm so excited for what's to come in the 16th century!
A glorious age of exploration, trade, conquest, and piracy. I can see why Iqal absolutely loves this age of sail and steam.....
  • Iberian Flight
    • So we're seeing Christians fleeing Al-Andalus as a result of the Cantabrian Wars, which was to be expected. Although, it should be noted that from this post that this is all rich and well-connected Christian nobles and merchants that are fleeing towards Christendom.
    • This seems like a complete inverse of the Morisco expulsions IOTL, where the poor Muslims were kicked out of the peninsula, fleeing towards Muslim lands like North Africa and the Ottoman Empire. The Jews were also kicked out in a similar manner to the Muslims as well.
    • It should be very interesting to see how Iberian culture will intermix with Romanian/Italian, Nordic, and Germanic cultures all across Christendom. I still think Anglish and Danish food will continue to be terrible compared to Andalusi food though.
    • Would the flight cause an eventual radicalization among some Iberians who left? Eventually some crazy Christians might want to try the Reconquista again, although we'll see if that's the case.
  • Danish Expansion into the Algarves / Hindustan
    • So Denmark is embarking on a similar model to the Andalusi in India? It makes sense, considering Denmark has infinitely less population than the Asmarid Empire, so a makzan model centered around trade is a natural fit for these Dragon sailors. Even the Andalusi aren't willing to go toe-to-toe with any of the Indian polities just so they can establish a permanent colonial presence in the region.
    • The only exception seems to be in OTL Canada, where the Andalusi presence is absolutely zero and their population is completely comfortable with the cold conditions of Heavenland and beyond, making trading posts and settler colonies a likely possibility.
    • Hopefully we'll get to see a Danish Canada in this timeline, with them being the fur traders of the region akin to the French. They'll eventually have to contend with Angland though in the region, as their interests conflict despite their friendly relationship.
  • Romanian Expansion into the Algarves
    • Romania definitely has a more proactive involvement in Alasca as a whole than their Nordic neighbors, as they're probing into the southern parts of the continent, especially the Eastern Seaboard, although whether they will settle there will be something of great interest. Maybe we'll see Romania and Andalus fight it out over the Meshishib and the Kharshuf, although judging from the post, any Romanian trading post in the Algarves seems to be quite ephemeral, at the very least.
    • Not to mention they've effectively mapped out the southern continent, leading to it being called Berengaria....that's definitely something to put into the wiki, for sure.
    • Can I just say at how pissed the actual Romans would be when they find out that the Romanians have been basically using Roman names from Antiquity like Romulus/Remus in the New World? That's their history, for goodness sake!
  • Anglish Expansion into the Algarves
    • Unlike both Denmark and Romania, the Anglish have the highest chance of establishing settler colonies in Alasca and become the primary rival to Asmarid colonial interests in the continent thanks to their higher pool of manpower, lack of continental enemies, and an earlier foot in the gate.
    • While most colonies at the moment are probably just fur trading posts, I could see King's Town evolve into an actual city that specializes in trading goods such as wheat, lumber, and other naval supplies as Angland expands further into native lands and gains access to the resources of the interior. Maybe it'll become the New York/Amsterdam of this world?
    • Not to mention, if Angland acquires lands further south of Helenia, like in Romulus, then it's possible that sugar/indigo/cotton/rice cultivation will be very much possible for them, if the Asmarids don't require the region first. Regardless, slaves will be an integral part of both countries' colonies due to how profitable cash crop economies will be in the southern part of Alasca.
  • Treaty of Granham
    • Sounds like the Treaty of Tordesillas, but instead it just divides North America in two or three parts, depending on which Christian is looking at it.
    • Considering how unwilling the Muslims are in trying to claim more land to the north, it's fair to say that OTL Canada and the northern parts of America will be solidly Christian from now on, but which denomination these lands will follow should be interesting.
    • We're also seeing some major contentions between the Nordics and the Mediterraneans with the treaty, since Romania is willing to abide by the Pope (because his revision favors them) while Angland/Denmark are actively ignoring the bull. A schism seems likely within the lands of Christendom if this sort of friction continues.
  • Anglo-Wampanoag War
    • A very tragic part of Native history with the Anglish inadvertently causing the natives to die from disease due to contact, only for them to be solidly massacred at the hands of European weapons when they tried to resist, leading to the loss of historic land. Very likely to become a repeating cycle across multiple fronts.
    • This can only realistically get worse from here, and I think the Anglish will become the most belligerent among the Christians against the Native Alascans as they continue to spread wildly across the continent, especially if they begin settling across Helenia and other regions in large droves.
    • Makes me wonder whether they will adopt a similar ideology of anti-Native superiority to justify their imperialist expansion, although will it be influenced by Andalusi cultural chauvinism or reflect along racial lines like in OTL? I bet on the former, since there's a huge presence of free blacks in the New World while Maghrebi nobles/cash crop barons are already a part of St. Albans.
  • The Pepperbight War and the rise of Piracy
    • Another conflict between Angland and Andalus, although it seems to be very minor.
    • What if Asmarid officials start to recommend sending naval advisers and shipbuilders to their African trading partners and allies like in Ubinu and Nsikongo while also bolstering existing fleets in Simala as a result of Anglish aggression in the Bight of Binu.
      • More African naval powers? Yes please!
    • Pirates are definitely going to be an eternal plague for practically every merchant in the Atlas from now on, much to the collective groan of every trade family in Europe. On top of increased naval buildup, some kind of financial protection is probably going to be necessary with waters this insecure, in the case that those ships get sunk or plundered.

This theme is just gonna keep playing in my head whenever this timeline posts something......hahahaha. If only there was a Muslim version of this somewhere.
Pirates of the Pearl Sea, starring Captain Yaq ibn al-'Asfur.

pirate-rum.gif

Sorry, Captain. The rum is haram. But we've got kitties and "grape juice" for you.

Romania having overseas colonies is gonna make them dependent on keeping neutral-to-good relations with the Asmarids. Hard to keep your supply lines running if the guys who control the Strait of Gibraltar have shoot-on-sight orders.

Unless Romania makes a grab at Aquitaine... hmm...
They already have Aquitaine from the French, hence the Occitan pronounciation for Bordeaux (Bordeu).

But yes, I can definitely see Romania try to remain on the Andalusi's good side as they continue to explore the New World, especially since they're so interconnected with the Muslim powers of the Mediterranean (the Bayadhids, Nasrids, and the Asmarids). A colonial Romanian presence in the Meshishib and New Rome will most likely sour relations overnight though.

Pirates of the Pearl Sea, starring Captain Yaq ibn al-'Asfur.

pirate-rum.gif

Sorry, Captain. The rum is haram. But we've got kitties and "grape juice" for you.
"Why not just "grape juice"? Don't you guys have "sugarcane juice" too? Not like the qadi notice the difference..."

They already have Aquitaine from the French, hence the Occitan pronounciation for Bordeaux (Bordeu).

But yes, I can definitely see Romania try to remain on the Andalusi's good side as they continue to explore the New World, especially since they're so interconnected with the Muslim powers of the Mediterranean (the Bayadhids, Nasrids, and the Asmarids). A colonial Romanian presence in the Meshishib and New Rome will most likely sour relations overnight though.

"Why not just "grape juice"? Don't you guys have "sugarcane juice" too? Not like the qadi notice the difference..."
The Asmarids view Romania as a buffer state between themselves and the French. They really want to keep one of those now that they've gobbled up the northern kingdoms, especially since the Pyrenees, while an impressive defensive front, do have passes through them. Romania has the added benefits of both a common enemy (the French) and a lack of claims to historical rule over Andalusia, so they're a better friend than the weak and backward realms of Santiago and Navarre were.

I'd straight up forgotten that happened. See, this is what happens when you leave your timeline lying around for two months!
The world is pretty damn big with everything that's going on. Sometimes things slip through the cracks, you know?

The Asmarids view Romania as a buffer state between themselves and the French. They really want to keep one of those now that they've gobbled up the northern kingdoms, especially since the Pyrenees, while an impressive defensive front, do have passes through them. Romania has the added benefits of both a common enemy (the French) and a lack of claims to historical rule over Andalusia, so they're a better friend than the weak and backward realms of Santiago and Navarre were.
This has essentially amounted to a pretty huge France-screw, isn't it? All 4 powers in Western Europe (Angland, Romania, Andalus, and HRE) have a vested interest in containing the Oriflamme, although the French do have a historical knack for miraculously escaping irrelevancy and becoming a pretty huge player in European politics like the Hundred Years' War. Maybe a future French king/queen will work Clairmonde's magic one more time? Might be over the Dauphin/Arelat since that's the most likely location where the French could snag the territory from the Romanians or the Germans.

I still think the Andalusi wouldn't appreciate the Romanians if they tried to settle in New Rome or worse, the Meshishib River, since they would most likely claim them as part of their colonial territory (under the Meshishib/Kharshuf colony).

The world is pretty damn big with everything that's going on. Sometimes things slip through the cracks, you know?

This has essentially amounted to a pretty huge France-screw, isn't it? All 4 powers in Western Europe (Angland, Romania, Andalus, and HRE) have a vested interest in containing the Oriflamme, although the French do have a historical knack for miraculously escaping irrelevancy and becoming a pretty huge player in European politics like the Hundred Years' War. Maybe a future French king/queen will work Clairmonde's magic one more time? Might be over the Dauphin/Arelat since that's the most likely location where the French could snag the territory from the Romanians or the Germans.

I still think the Andalusi wouldn't appreciate the Romanians if they tried to settle in New Rome or worse, the Meshishib River, since they would most likely claim them as part of their colonial territory (under the Meshishib/Kharshuf colony).
France has kind of become the butt monkey of this version of history at the expense of Romania, Andalusia and the Holy Roman Empire. That said, their situation isn't hopeless: France is still one of the more developed parts of Europe. It's just had more to fight through.

Certainly Angland and the Asmarids are in the catbird seat right now, though.

France has kind of become the butt monkey of this version of history at the expense of Romania, Andalusia and the Holy Roman Empire. That said, their situation isn't hopeless: France is still one of the more developed parts of Europe. It's just had more to fight through.

Certainly Angland and the Asmarids are in the catbird seat right now, though.
Yeah, I agree that France is certainly still a continental European threat, especially if they are just as developed as the Romanians or the Anglish are at blackpowder arms, thanks to their large army. However, if Romania wasn't able to divert as much people towards potential colonies in New Rome or the rest of Alasca due to continental enemies like France or the Holy Roman Empire, then the French aren't going to be colonizing any time soon.

Then again the French don't really need to be colonialists right out of the gate to be a great power in Europe (*looks at Prussia*).

By the way....there's some other great contemporary historical figures to draw from in India if you ever move towards Hindustan as a focus.

The potential of an African (probably from East Africa or Central Africa like Oromo, Azande, Gbaya, etc.) slave becoming a Habshi major general or king in India is certainly possible, especially in the East Indian kinglets in OTL Kalinga/Odisha, which could allow them to maintain independence and resist the Radhas, Hoysalas, Niman, and other strong Indian powers in the subcontinent.

Last edited: