Miscellaneous >1900 (Alternate) History Thread

Again, no one cares about that, because for such a setup to be possible you need an older POD. And this is leaving out the fact that you forgot to define the "Ottoman peak borders".

To expand on the point, you can't set a totally different setting from OTL 1936, which requires a POD centuries ago, and then pretend the POD is in 1936 because "that's where I start the story." And again, you didn't define the borders or anything about how the Empire works (if it's still an Empire at all, because we don't know!)
Obviously it's still an empire, and it's set in 1936

What if Reagan became president in 1976, got saddled with the bad economy, and then got beat by Mo Udall
This is the exact premise for the timeline America's Funniest President: Mo Udall Presidency & Beyond
(not sure if that was intentional or a coincidence though)
Doesn’t mean that’s the only thread for all time. In fact, I kind of like short and snappy 1- to 2-page debates / discussion.

And Volcker’s “strong medicine” was a big contributing factor to the 1982 Recession.

What would the geopolitical (NOT US domestic political) implications of the Bin Laden raid going south somehow a la Eagle Claw be?
By this I mean to ask would there be any confrontations over this with pakistan? and
How soon after this would Osama be able to be killed? and
If he lives long enough to see ISIS pop up, what would Bin Laden's relationship with them look like?

What would the geopolitical (NOT US domestic political) implications of the Bin Laden raid going south somehow a la Eagle Claw be?
By this I mean to ask would there be any confrontations over this with pakistan? and
How soon after this would Osama be able to be killed? and
If he lives long enough to see ISIS pop up, what would Bin Laden's relationship with them look like?
If Osama Bin Laden does escape in the chaos of the raid or maybe gets forwarding about it he will have to flee as fast as possible likely to another allied Al Qaida stronghold in Pakistan as escape to India or back to Afghanistan would be risky with few upsides. It is possible he could flee into the mountains up north in Kashmir but to me I think it is most likely that he will go south to the more highly populated areas of Pakistan to link up with other Al Qaida members. Ignoring how much of an embarrassment it would be for America, Pakistan would be under even more pressure than our timeline and questions about if they were helping Osama escape if the search continued on which would definitely ruin their image in the west. I think it would not take to long to catch him if he is exposed again like this the United States would double down on its efforts to find him and I give it a few years at most assuming he is able to find another safe house to hold up at. I think he would dislike isis likely out of minor ideological differences between the two.

(Apologies for the belated reply.)

I have continued reading the story, reaching chapter 50... and I don't understand why the author made that silly comparison that I pointed out, because I haven't seen the slightest resemblance at all.

Although I have a hard time believing certain parts of the story, like the idea that apparently an so-specific and obscure American political commentator is so immensely popular in Taiwan that a character can be complaining about his stupidity without anyone thinking it strange or needing to ask who he is.

Or the abrupt turns that some countries take in terms of their foreign and domestic policy...
…Huh, weird. (Shrugs, throws up their hands, and then washes them clean of the matter.)

Oh my god. I respectfully hate this thread
Where is the topic of this link: https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/largest-possible-cyprus-post-1960.551377/

Making misc go to this thread has resulted in a huge problem for me atleast. I liked such misc threads which opened up fun discussions in the good old days. Now I don't even know if they exist. Did this @usernamebutepic even ask the question here or did he give up when his thread got locked?

Here are the reasons why I hate this thread
1)Many people won't bother to post their thread in this thread after they see the 'Your topic has been blocked' notification. Don't ask me why. Thats just how the human mind works. Yes the dedicated ones will but the casual ones won't
2)Suppose I want to ask a highly specific but vague question which has potential to become a large colorful alternate history discussion. That can't happen here because sooner or later, the constant meddling of other topics will kill the discussion. I still refer many old threads of this site for my alt history stuff which would not be allowed to exits as threads today.
3)Putting it all in one thread means that topics no longer have their own dedicated space. Best case is that you get a few hours of that topic but worst case is that every alternate message is of some unrelated topic.
4)A minor problem: Notifications. I want notification for my topic only, not this whole thread. Its annoying to receive notifications long after my topic has finished in this thread.

What I propose
Make Misc its own category like 'After 1900' and 'Before 1900'

Last edited:
Oh my god. I respectfully hate this thread
Where is the topic of this link: https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/largest-possible-cyprus-post-1960.551377/

Making misc go to this thread has resulted in a huge problem for me atleast. I liked such misc threads which opened up fun discussions in the good old days. Now I don't even know if they exist. Did this @usernamebutepic even ask the question here or did he give up when his thread got locked?

Here are the reasons why I hate this thread
1)Many people won't bother to post their thread in this thread after they see the 'Your topic has been blocked' notification. Don't ask me why. Thats just how the human mind works. Yes the dedicated ones will but the casual ones won't
2)Suppose I want to ask a highly specific but vague question which has potential to become a large colorful alternate history discussion. That can't happen here because sooner or later, the constant meddling of other topics will kill the discussion. I still refer many old threads of this site for my alt history stuff which would not be allowed to exits as threads today.
3)Putting it all in one thread means that topics no longer have their own dedicated space. Best case is that you get a few hours of that topic but worst case is that every alternate message is of some unrelated topic.
4)A minor problem: Notifications. I want notification for my topic only, not this whole thread. Its annoying to receive notifications long after my topic has finished in this thread.

What I propose
Make Misc its own category like 'After 1900' and 'Before 1900'
The problem is that "highly specific but vague questions that could have great potential for colorful discussion" are seen as dependent on people appreciating that potential.

And generally vague, non-specific questions are considered from the perspective of:

"If YOU don't think your question is worth enough effort to develop, as shown by the fact that you've only asked a vague question, why should I do your job for you developing it?"

(Let's clarify that the part in quotes is intended to reflect the point of view of the average reader of this type of question, it is not intended in any way to be an accusation against you.)

From what I've seen in other similar threads, and as being said by moderators in the post blocking this kind of threads, there is more likely to be development and discussion if the author doesn't just throw out random questions, but includes his own guess about what would happen.

To use your example, the author probably should have added some speculation about how and why Britain would decide it's a great idea to take chunks of Greece to feed Cyprus, or how Cyprus is supposed to hold on to all that territory when it no longer can count on the protection of the British Empire...

Last edited:
Given their great radar capabilities, long loiter time, and ability to hold a good bit of weight, what if Instead of developing supersonic fighter interceptors, air forces turn AEW aircraft into large air to air missile platforms that can detect enemy aircraft at far distances and spam air to air missiles?

Nixon gets elected instead of Kennedy. He gets killed in Dallas in 1963. What policies does he implement before then? Does the nation go as deep into mourning as they did with JFK? Does he kill the hat for men too?

What you think is weird
I was referring to what you said was odd; I was agreeing that it does/did indeed sound weird.

and what mean the italics text?
  1. Admittedly, this is/can be a convention that's used more on live text chat platforms like Discord, perhaps more so in specific communities, (or IRC, where I believe it originated) but…you weren't aware of the practice of using italics (originally asterisks like parentheses) to distinguish participants' user actions from other message text? (Some sources, albeit informal, that I can cite as an example documenting this are:
  2. I was signaling that there wasn't any need for further discussion.
  3. I let myself get a slight bit overly dramatic there for a small moment, admittedly; please just ignore that.

With a POD between 1960 and 1980 - at least one British computer company that becomes wildly successful (lasting at least until 1990)

Avoiding or changing the way the war on drugs was carried out in the United States.

Avoiding the steep increase in incarceration in the US in the latter part of the 20th century - while still addressing crime rates, etc.

If Britain had China as a colony, would they have allied with the Nazis since they would be scared shitless of the Russians invading China and then India?

Thoughts: 1990s Russia had such bad democratic foundations that died instantly once Putin happened because Yeltsin had little intention of making a stable democracy in the vein of the democracy-building efforts in South Korea, Japan, etc. Yeltsin didn't even intend to make a democracy work properly and it showed. Instead, he was more interested in more power for his family?!