Miscellaneous >1900 (Alternate) History Thread

If Britain had China as a colony, would they have allied with the Nazis since they would be scared shitless of the Russians invading China and then India?
The shear amount of butterflies from Britain having china as a colony would probably mean the Nazis never exist. If they did still exist though I would agree that it makes it slightly more likely.

The shear amount of butterflies from Britain having china as a colony would probably mean the Nazis never exist. If they did still exist though I would agree that it makes it slightly more likely.
What butterflies would exist? The only one I can think of is that Britain would be against Russia and wouldn’t ally with them in ww1

So I got a question.
So ITTL the US doesn't have a west coast (it took Texas but not the rest of northern Mexico), but it does have Cuba and Panama and Hawaii.
Handwaving a ton of butterflies, can this US effectively fight and win against Japan in WW2? It'll have access to the Pacific through the Panama Canal (built earlier and more developed than OTL), going around South America and the Indian Ocean, and It'll have some leased wet coast ports through Mexico.

So I got a question.
So ITTL the US doesn't have a west coast (it took Texas but not the rest of northern Mexico), but it does have Cuba and Panama and Hawaii.
Handwaving a ton of butterflies, can this US effectively fight and win against Japan in WW2? It'll have access to the Pacific through the Panama Canal (built earlier and more developed than OTL), going around South America and the Indian Ocean, and It'll have some leased wet coast ports through Mexico.
How the hell does USA get Hawaii anyway?

It would be impossible to maintain it without a west coast to start from, and most likely the "Hawaii defense plan" will be the same as the one the UK had in Canada: "this place is indefensible, we better try to win in other fronts where we have some possibility."

And given that it would be very difficult to project power in East Asia when just maintaining the Hawaii base poses a huge logistical strain, it is very doubtful that there would be a possibility of a conflict with Japan because there would be no collision of influences.

So I got a question.
In this very particular scenario I would have to imagine that the USA has not established a big enough pacific fleet and may not even get involved in the war in the pacific without their presence in the Philippines. If they did the industrial power of America will eventually come to bear after a string of inital losses and I think America would be victorious maybe using a port like Seattle or even Mexicos ports in California to help project their naval power.

What would be the historical (so no post-2000 examples) of the "Job Trunicht Theorem" (A critically wounded democracy can be worse than a [well-managed] non-democracy. The term originates from Legend of the Galactic Heroes where Trunicht ran a democracy [Free Planets Alliance] into the ground so badly the nearby empire was a considerable improvement.). The Boris Yeltsin theorem? The James Buchanan theorem? (Admittedly that's pre-1900, but still).

What would be the historical (so no post-2000 examples) of the "Job Trunicht Theorem" (A critically wounded democracy can be worse than a [well-managed] non-democracy. The term originates from Legend of the Galactic Heroes where Trunicht ran a democracy [Free Planets Alliance] into the ground so badly the nearby empire was a considerable improvement.). The Boris Yeltsin theorem? The James Buchanan theorem? (Admittedly that's pre-1900, but still).
This might be controversial, but I would say Tsarist Russia-Republican Russia. Russia went from a state in dire condition, but still functioning, to a republic that dissolved into a veritable mess with more factions than you can count.

This might be controversial, but I would say Tsarist Russia-Republican Russia. Russia went from a state in dire condition, but still functioning, to a republic that dissolved into a veritable mess with more factions than you can count.
I'm not sure... admittedly this is more based on Tsarist Russia of Nicholas II being scarcely better than Provisional Government Russia. Both were barely functional due to World War I. (The counterparts to the Alliance vs. Empire war in LOGH are there. Admittedly the local Reinhard von Lohengramm counterpart was Alexander II: a great reformer who died too soon).
Maybe the Empire of Brazil being better than its Republic could also qualify? I think for me the main example is 90s Russia, hence "The Boris Yeltsin Theorem".

What's the possibility of the Soviets continuing their space program after Apollo 11 to the point of launching their own manned lunar mission?

What's the possibility of the Soviets continuing their space program after Apollo 11 to the point of launching their own manned lunar mission?
We would need them to decide that it is worth continuing to spend money on it, but from what I understood the problem is that they lost interest when they realized that they could no longer be the first and that, far from praising them for their feat, people I would compare with the American mission. The idea of spending money on prestige projects is to gain prestige, not to have people compare you unfavorably to your rival.

What if the Allies decided to remove/browbeat/force to clear corruption Chiang-Kai-Shrek and support a KMT with genuine firepower during the Chinese Civil War?

Question for timeline: In Welthaupstadt Germania If an ivy Mike-scale Nuke were dropped on the Volkshalle (say, by the USA), would any famous structure in Berlin survive?

What if the Allies decided to remove/browbeat/force to clear corruption Chiang-Kai-Shrek and support a KMT with genuine firepower during the Chinese Civil War?
Probably easier said then done but more support for the KMT would certainly help them in the upcoming civil war.