Miscellaneous >1900 (Alternate) History Thread

With the pod started in Jan 20 1953 (Eisenhower inauguration day)
How to prevent counterculture movement of 1960s?
No Hippie, no summer of love, no Woodstock, rock never become mainstream ?
Basically a longer 1950s

How would that happen ?

With the pod started in Jan 20 1953 (Eisenhower inauguration day)
How to prevent counterculture movement of 1960s?
No Hippie, no summer of love, no Woodstock, rock never become mainstream ?
Basically a longer 1950s

How would that happen ?
Preventing the Vietnam war would do a lot to prevent it though it would likely not stop it entirely because much of it was due to a reaction to the post war conservative culture that had developed which I’m not sure how to prevent.

How was Mondale so terrible he lost states a Democrat normally should not have any business losing? Losing all but one or two states is catastrophic levels of failure, so how? Deliberate sacrificial lamb? Was Reagan that good?

How was Mondale so terrible he lost states a Democrat normally should not have any business losing? Losing all but one or two states is catastrophic levels of failure, so how? Deliberate sacrificial lamb? Was Reagan that good?
I think it's the economy. Terrible in 1980, so Carter lost reelection, which doesn't happen often. By 1984 times were booming hard, and nobody wanted to change that. Plus in the 80s and 90s there wasn't much of a difference between the parties.

I think it's the economy. Terrible in 1980, so Carter lost reelection, which doesn't happen often. By 1984 times were booming hard, and nobody wanted to change that. Plus in the 80s and 90s there wasn't much of a difference between the parties.
He was also a fairly poor campaigner compared to Reagan. "I will raise your taxes, but so will other guy and at least I'm telling you" doesn't seem like a very good campaign message.

He was also a fairly poor campaigner compared to Reagan. "I will raise your taxes, but so will other guy and at least I'm telling you" doesn't seem like a very good campaign message.
Didn't know this was his campaign message (not American, so neither I care that much), but I for my part, appreciate the honesty lol

So I was thinking about Lee Kuan Yew and Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, and I'm wondering if the former had taken a path like the latter.

So what would have happened if Lee Kuan Yew had become a strongman leader of Malaysia instead of the prime minister of Singapore? What could it have taken for such a thing to be plausible, and how would it have affected Southeast Asia as a whole?

How did Portugal recover from Salazar? He seemed to set Portugal back a long distance in terms of both civil rights and economic development?

We would need them to decide that it is worth continuing to spend money on it, but from what I understood the problem is that they lost interest when they realized that they could no longer be the first and that, far from praising them for their feat, people I would compare with the American mission. The idea of spending money on prestige projects is to gain prestige, not to have people compare you unfavorably to your rival.
I would think the rationale would it would be better to come in second place than to have never tried at all.
That in the long term, the Soviets would have a worse off prestige with the US being the sole country to send a man to the moon.

Here’s the gist for one proposed timeline I just thought about:

Breckinridge Long dies in 1935 during a fight near the State Department building (put simply to being in the wrong place at the wrong time). Would it lead to the US entering World War II earlier, considering Long’s anti-immigrant policies? If not, could it lead to an improved response to refugees, even during the anti-immigration sentiment in North America during that time?

Last edited:
What if the U.S. tried to show Saddam that it was serious in 2003? Could it have conducted air strikes against military positions in the run-up to the war, as warning shots? Or more like, first blood?

What if the U.S. tried to show Saddam that it was serious in 2003? Could it have conducted air strikes against military positions in the run-up to the war, as warning shots? Or more like, first blood?
You mean more seriously than actually invading the country? It wouldn't have changed anything because the point was that the US government was eager to "show their strength" by massacring someone, as well as having a war to distract the population, so they would have invaded even if Saddam was 200% collaborative. Any attempt to "show we're serious" would in any case have been the first shots of the actual invasion, not something separate.