Military Projects Cancelled by the End of the Cold War

However, the Montreaux Convention, which gives Turkey control over the straits and regulates the transit of warships through them, prohibits aircraft carriers heavier than 15,000 tons from being sailed through the straits.
If that were the case, then the USSR would have built aircraft carriers in some other shipyard.

Doctrinally, there's a direct line from the MOSKVA class through to KUZNETSOV. MOSKVA is unquestionably a cruiser with a large group of helicopters. KIEV is also a guided missile cruiser with a large air wing of helicopters and some VTOL fighters - doctrinally treated as recoverable, manned long-range missiles. KUZNETSOV has the same guided missile armament as the late KIEV class aviation cruiser BAKU, but with her aviation facilities enhanced to allow the operation of heavier, more capable fighters. Given reports that the missile armament of the KUZNETSOV is being upgraded, I don't think the Russians are keen to move from this doctrine. Interestingly, the design suggests more of a sea control mission for the Soviet aviation cruisers than the land-attack focussed US Navy carriers.

Something similar applies to the INVINCIBLE class aviation cruisers. If you dig down into their design history and features, it becomes apparent that the Royal Navy wasn't trying to pull a fast one and get aircraft carriers by stealth - they're too compromised by the cruiser role.

James G

Gone Fishin'
Bulgaria and Romania had pretty formidable military industries.
The other year when I was doing a TL about the East German Army, I discovered that a heck of a lot of the equipment was built in Czechoslovakia, Hungary and Romania. Not just OTR-64s, FUGs and other bits like that but T-55s, BMPs and BTRs. All across the Warsaw Pact there were armaments factories building such gear for their allies and it was all interlinked.

The other year when I was doing a TL about the East German Army, I discovered that a heck of a lot of the equipment was built in Czechoslovakia, Hungary and Romania. Not just OTR-64s, FUGs and other bits like that but T-55s, BMPs and BTRs. All across the Warsaw Pact there were armaments factories building such gear for their allies and it was all interlinked.

Those skoda factories never shut down I guess

The swedish super tank Strv 2000 (with a 140mm main gun and a secondary 40mm).
The super Kirov ?
FB-22
B-1R
Mirage 4000
TSR-2
Hawker Siddeley P.1154
Yak-141

So many cool - and very expensive - 'toys'.

Super Kirov?!

Afaik, the 4000's demise was caused by the Saudi's choice of the Tornado and the French AF's choice of the much cheaper 2000, not the end of the Cold War per se.

Talked - probably just vaporware - bigger (?) variant of Kirov with more weapons / powerful engines.
Right about the Mirage - but fit's the time, and if (a very big if) France have a bigger military budget they can (probably / maybe) bought some. The most similar european plane to the F-15E that i know.

Those skoda factories never shut down I guess
It had nothing to do with Skoda. Initially some CKD factories were used but at the end new factories were built in Slovakia in early 50-ties, manufacturing redusigned Sdkfz 251 and T-34's, SU-100's later T-54s and 55's endung with T-62's as well as BVP-1's and 2's and wheeled APC's of Czecoslovak construction, self propelled artillery etc. Between 50--ties and early 90-ties some 55000 armored vehicles were built just in Slovak factories. Most of them for export. But already in late 80-tied Czechoslovak commies realized it will be not possible to continue and were trying to find some other civilian use fir these factories. Now they are all mostly closed, switched to civilian production or manufacturing small runs of armored vehicles. Ten of thoussnds people lost jobs in region at 90-ties.

Right about the Mirage - but fit's the time, and if (a very big if) France have a bigger military budget they can (probably / maybe) bought some. The most similar european plane to the F-15E that i know.

True. I've read on severall sources the 4000 being refered to as the "French F-15".

Yep, specs on paper and the crude reality are normally a 'bit' different.
Sometimes good, sometimes worst nightmare.

In my opinion, the strv 2000 is near to the perfect tank. I served on the Leo 1, which was a very good tank for its time (it was phased out when I was in the Bundeswehr) and I know many who served on the Leo 2, which is the best existing tank in my opinion, but the strv2000 look like a dream come true (on paper).
Well it incorporated some excellent ideas; a very good degree of protection (eqv 80cmRHA v KEP and 1.2m v Monroe effect), a casemated main armament for low silhouette, a decent secondary armament to avoid wasting 14cm shells and an excellent gun.

Well it incorporated some excellent ideas; a very good degree of protection (eqv 80cmRHA v KEP and 1.2m v Monroe effect), a casemated main armament for low silhouette, a decent secondary armament to avoid wasting 14cm shells and an excellent gun.
casemated ? Is a turreted one.

Archibald

Banned
True. I've read on severall sources the 4000 being refered to as the "French F-15".

1451743925-rafale-0130.jpg

Sometimes the Armée de l'Air procurement is as byzantine as the 30's Air Ministry. The first Rafale which flew in July 1986 was only a demonstrator with F-404 engines.