Medieval America Mark III

I have an idea. Has falshman considered about species in Medieval America? I've heard that American people raise many strange pets such as big snakes and big "cats". There are thousands of tigers in Texas. I think these tigers can form population in Medieval America. Will nomads raise tiger-hunting as adult ceremony as Maasai do to lions in Africa? What's more, there are many invasive species in North America, how will they live and breed in Medieval America without modern management?
Most big cats have been hunted to extinction, though some probably hang out in the west.

Invasive species: ignore/ magically gone?
Hippos in the Bayou anyone...
I have actually thought quite a bit about fauna in Medieval America, I've attempted to write several updates on it going all the way back to my first time coming across it. As someone who's something of a proponent of re-wilding and speculative biology, I like to think things have gotten quite weird in Medieval America.

For example, I've made many references to camels existing in the South West. I see them as being both domesticated and feral, thriving in the desert and being the primary domesticate of desert peoples alongside donkeys and pigs.

I've also been working on a "Here There Be monsters" piece for a while on the Skunk Ape, that suggests that the creature is not imaginary but rather a population of feral orangutans living in the Everglades. Further, monkeys are a virtual certainty in Florida and I could see a feral chimp population.

Big fan of the tiger idea.

I didn't consider hippos in the Bayou - I always thought instead about Indian Elephants. But both could work, and I like the idea of a population of tame African Elephants in Tennessee.

I always liked the idea of their being populations of llamas in the south brought in to combat kudzu.

I also have alluded to the concept that the New Mexicans have bred a species of rather large Gila Monsters for religious reasons.

For the most part, I see invasive species not being ignored, but rather being integrated into an (unrealistic) equilibrium. Within five centuries, most of the new megafauna will be mostly extinct, with perhaps a few hanger-ons and remnants.

As tigers are my favorite animal, I'm all for the hope it's plausible, even likely a wild population develops.
Actually I've been riding around a lot of the American west (Utah, Nevada, Idaho and California) recently and it struck how much some of it reminded me of pictures of the African savanna. So I could see some nobles keeping wild populations of lions out on the plains to hunt for sport, alongside Tigers in the more forested areas.

tehskyman

Banned
I think populations of Siberian Tigers could easily adapt to conditions in the Appalachians and Ozarks. Wherever they are, they are probably restricted to mountainous areas. I don't think predatory megafauna will remain in most areas, if only because they are a threat to people and their livestock.

Also most places in mainland America are too cool for surviving megafauna like Elephants, tigers and lions etc. You will see way more of that in Central/ South America and Mexico.

War Elephants of Mexico anyone?

Does anyone else think that the Cowboys would have Scythian, Hun and Mongol styled armor, for when they go into battle?

I think populations of Siberian Tigers could easily adapt to conditions in the Appalachians and Ozarks. Wherever they are, they are probably restricted to mountainous areas. I don't think predatory megafauna will remain in most areas, if only because they are a threat to people and their livestock.

Also most places in mainland America are too cool for surviving megafauna like Elephants, tigers and lions etc. You will see way more of that in Central/ South America and Mexico.

I could see most nobles having laws to protect megafauna that's in their territory, so as they stay in their hunting grounds. "How dare you miserable peons kill my tigers! I don't care if they were killing your sheep, my son was supposed to hunt one for his birthday tomorrow and they were on my reserves!"

tehskyman

Banned
Does anyone else think that the Cowboys would have Scythian, Hun and Mongol styled armor, for when they go into battle?

I could see most nobles having laws to protect megafauna that's in their territory, so as they stay in their hunting grounds. "How dare you miserable peons kill my tigers! I don't care if they were killing your sheep, my son was supposed to hunt one for his birthday tomorrow and they were on my reserves!"

More like, heres 50 copper pieces for your sheep. Heres a silver one for your son.

I don't think there's any significant population of Siberian Tigers. I could see Mountain Lions making a come back.

Would certainly help with the image of Mexico as an extremely exotic empire.

I don't know about anywhere else up North but Hageman does have a small population of captive Alligators thanks to local hot springs. So I can see some Mormon nobles keeping them as exotic pets with their hides having a similar concoction to purple cloth as a symbol of wealth in Mormon territory and their meat being viewed as a delicacy.

T
I don't know about anywhere else up North but Hageman does have a small population of captive Alligators thanks to local hot springs. So I can see some Mormon nobles keeping them as exotic pets with their hides having a similar concoction to purple cloth as a symbol of wealth in Mormon territory and their meat being viewed as a delicacy.
That would indeed be interesting.

I'm thinking about making a post about Cuba. I believe that other posters on this project wrote how Cuba's position, resources, and natural wealth would make it a powerful nation after the fall of civilization. The country would probably be ruled by the descendants of party members and an offshoot of the Catholic Chruch syncretized with communist ideology (something like the People's Chruch or the Order of Saint Marx). The ruling class would occasionally council with each other at the Popular Assembly to discuss trade disputes, land distribution, and the election of the next Castrós to rule the People's Republic (a bit like how Caesar became Csar and Kaiser). Of course, the nation is communist in name only with an ever-present slave trade, religious inquisitions, and the Politburo ruling as feudal lords.

tehskyman

Banned
Would the Cubans be Catholic though? I was under the impression that the Caribbean was broadly Voodoo.

Also, I think that older structures in Cuba would have less of a lasting impression. Since the Caribbean can probably host a maritime empire, rulers of the island might style themselves as Emperor of the Caribbean rather than as a Castro.

Caribbean Crusades launched by the President/Patriarch/Emperor of Mexico would be delicious shitshows to see.

Would the Cubans be Catholic though? I was under the impression that the Caribbean was broadly Voodoo.

Also, I think that older structures in Cuba would have less of a lasting impression. Since the Caribbean can probably host a maritime empire, rulers of the island might style themselves as Emperor of the Caribbean rather than as a Castro.

Caribbean Crusades launched by the President/Patriarch/Emperor of Mexico would be delicious shitshows to see.
Cuba would definetly be a maritime power, however, I myself do see the island being split in two. Somewhere somebody said that Havana was as large as New Orleans which is the largest American city.

I can imagine American and Louisianan pirates and privateers harassing the Cubans who are busy trying to spread their influence across the Caribbean but also into Yucatan and Florida.

tehskyman

Banned
Cuba would definetly be a maritime power, however, I myself do see the island being split in two. Somewhere somebody said that Havana was as large as New Orleans which is the largest American city.

I can imagine American and Louisianan pirates and privateers harassing the Cubans who are busy trying to spread their influence across the Caribbean but also into Yucatan and Florida.

I did mention naval battles between various maritime powers in the Florida Keys.

From the historical example of Indonesia, the two densest islands (Java and Sumatra) tended to conquer the others. In the Caribbean, these sources of power are Cuba and Hispaniola. So expect to see empires originating from these islands.

I did mention naval battles between various maritime powers in the Florida Keys.

From the historical example of Indonesia, the two densest islands (Java and Sumatra) tended to conquer the others. In the Caribbean, these sources of power are Cuba and Hispaniola. So expect to see empires originating from these islands.
Definetly. Who could fill the role that the Chola did IOTL.

Neo Mayans? Maybe Jamaica or Mexico could do it too. Idk about Venezuela.

The Louisianans and Americans could also play disruptive roles in the Caribbean too.

I feel like the Neo-Mayans would be more of a landbased people. Jamaica could play that role though they are a bit small and perhaps a coastal Mexican state based around Veracruz. I like the idea of an American period of domination in the Caribbean.

Venezuela could dominate the Lower Antilles but not the Caribbean as a whole I believe.

tehskyman

Banned
I feel like the Neo-Mayans would be more of a landbased people. Jamaica could play that role though they are a bit small and perhaps a coastal Mexican state based around Veracruz. I like the idea of an American period of domination in the Caribbean.

Venezuela could dominate the Lower Antilles but not the Caribbean as a whole I believe.

I don't know about Venezuela, they should be largely landlocked too. Not many ports. A state centered on Lake Maracaibo maybe.

Veracruz I can see, but not sure if they are independent from the Central Plateau. Perhaps Tabasco is more realistic?