McGoverning

McGoverning: Seasonal Broadcasting
Just dipping in to wish everyone, on behalf of the President and the First Lady, George and Eleanor McGovern, a very happy holiday season. (Yes there will be more posts before New Years' but consider this your official AH Christmas card from the First Family.)

georgeAndEleanorWeb.jpg

As good Greatest Generation kids, the First Couple will likely be listening to something on the lines of this:

Only the best schmaltz. God I'm a sucker for that stuff.

The McGovern daughters, on the other hand, obviously will be listening to this, especially since Joni just performed in the West Wing in November '74:

And I would be remiss not to include a @Yes family favorite:

I would imagine George and Eleanor dance to that one after the kids/grandkids have gone to bed.

A festive Yule to the McGoverns and their Prime Mover!

Since Eartha’s come up, there was that whole Ladybird incident that caused real damage to her livelihood. I don’t suppose Eleanor’s up for giving her a hand? Poetic justice for xmas!

Random thing I just thought about: how close was John Kerry's 1972 race in MA-5?

Oh, and which OTL House seats turned out different in 1972?

Bulldoggus

Banned
Random thing I just thought about: how close was John Kerry's 1972 race in MA-5?

Oh, and which OTL House seats turned out different in 1972?
It was the closest race in the country that year- high profile challenger, vulnerable seat that had been Republican since the days of Grover Cleveland, and Cronin was a nobody. Kerry lost because the Lowell Sun is a historically Republican newspaper that went all in against him (and has been antagonizing him ever since).

What do we need to add to the TVTropes since last time? Admittingly, it's hard for me to tell what given how I have trouble following along what's going on sometimes

What do we need to add to the TVTropes since last time? Admittingly, it's hard for me to tell what given how I have trouble following along what's going on sometimes
Events covering 1973 and 1974. A lot of For Want of a Nail, plus some In Spite of a Nail. I empathize with your difficulties in following along, since there is SO much detail and side stories in this timeline (Which could be placed under Shown Their Work or All There in the Manual). If you go to Yes's other thread, you'll see there are things planned for after the end of the McGovern Administration.

Last edited:
Events covering 1973 and 1974. A lot of For Want of a Nail, plus some In Spite of a Nail. I empathize with your difficulties in following along, since there is SO much detail and side stories in this timeline (Which could be placed under Shown Their Work or All There in the Manual). If you go to Yes's other thread, you'll see there are things planned for after the end of the McGovern Administration.

Ooof, yeah. We should also try and work to do summaries to try and add the stuff there. And yeah, there's gonna be alot of stuff and it's gonne be fun.

In part. I get to count two alma maters, UNC and University of Bristol (Up Brizzie! Now if City could just literally ever figure out how to make it to the Premiership...)

It does seem quite possible that Mister Thorpe's Closet is in the process of going
pacific_nuke.jpg

... as we speak, or rather read along. We'll see how it all turns out.

@Llamastrangler,

You're very kind. I spent only a few, but some of the best, years of my life in the UK, this is material for which I have both great interest and great affection, really. Very glad to hear it comes across well.
Missed this one before.

I mean, I'm an LFC supporter, and it only took thirty bloody years to win another championship.

Well spotted - electrification is likely to come up especially in relation both to commuter routes (something the First Rail Fan in the Oval Office wants to enhance and promote) and even short-route haulage as they try to promote commercial viability for freight.
Following up on your rail post, I've found a few additional maps of some unbuilt transit lines that could end up being built ITTL. First off, there's Detroit:
detroit-1974_-_portrait-_II-01_1296x.png

Then Minneapolis:
il_fullxfull.2014596346_9b3m_1296x.jpg

Perhaps TTL sees the Iconic Chicago Loop demolished:
chicago-1976_-_II-01_1296x.png

Maybe butterflies result in a revival of Forward Thrust in Seattle:
Seattle-Metro-1990_8.5x11.png

San Diego ends up building its own version of BART, instead of the Trolley:
sd-1975-printArtboard_1_95694027-61c9-43bf-99a6-7c6c50ec93cf_1296x.png

Last edited:
There's also Houston, of course; even if the more famous project was the Whitmire-era elevated system in the '80s, there were studies being done in the '70s and some attempts at getting a system going (probably a better time, IMHO, due to the oil profits that were there in the '70s and not so much in the '80s...)

But ultimately the problems with transit systems are more local than national. Of course national policy plays some role, and having more federal funding (and, almost as importantly, having it go to useful systems instead of hi-tech whiz-bangery) will doubtlessly tend to result in more transit systems getting started, but when it comes down to it the federal government doesn't really have that much say in whether people decide they want subways or roads.

Ya know a certain brilliant (maligned, infamous) transport solution is underway in Ontario in this period. Given that monorail versions of the ICTS work just fine…