Maximilian, Elector of Bavaria dies.

VVD0D95

Banned
Except that the marriage of her daughter would be controlled by her husband. So say instead of a son Joseph Ferdinand she had a daughter Josepha with Max Emanuel or with a new husband, be he a Neuburg or Sobieski. Her husband would have custody of the girl and be able to control her marriage. I'm sure Leopold would want her married to his son Charles but in also sure Louis XIV would pull out all the stops to marry her to his grandson Philip, Duc d'Anjou. She would basically solidify either claim. So that gives her father enormous leverage.

Neuburg would likely go along and marry her to Charles, maybe he gets a little something like being made Governor of the Spanish Netherlands. Max Emanuel might actually go for France. Sobieski is a big question mark.

Very true, something that my timeline An Unexpected Prince is also exploring :)

Except that the marriage of her daughter would be controlled by her husband. So say instead of a son Joseph Ferdinand she had a daughter Josepha with Max Emanuel or with a new husband, be he a Neuburg or Sobieski. Her husband would have custody of the girl and be able to control her marriage. I'm sure Leopold would want her married to his son Charles but in also sure Louis XIV would pull out all the stops to marry her to his grandson Philip, Duc d'Anjou. She would basically solidify either claim. So that gives her father enormous leverage.

Neuburg would likely go along and marry her to Charles, maybe he gets a little something like being made Governor of the Spanish Netherlands. Max Emanuel might actually go for France. Sobieski is a big question mark.
A daughter by a dead Max Emanuel would likely go in Austria with her mother and remain in custody of her maternal grandfather when her mother remarried (unless Antonia married Carlos II). If Antonia had married Neuburg (who is neither a ruler or heir apparent) they will likely stay in Austria and in any case he is Karl’s maternal uncle so marrying his daughter to his nephew would be the most logical thing to do for him also...
Sobieski will most likely use Antonia’s daughter for getting some big concessions from a Leopold in exchange of the custody of the girl.
Max is the only one who can be tempted to go for a French match (as Anjou is his nephew) but that would mean losing the job of Governor of Netherlands and make of Leopold an implacable enemy.
Much will depend also from where is when Antonia died: if little Margaret was in Austria (and is pretty likely) you can be sure who Leopold will not give back his granddaughter to her father.

VVD0D95

Banned
A daughter by a dead Max Emanuel would likely go in Austria with her mother and remain in custody of her maternal grandfather when her mother remarried (unless Antonia married Carlos II). If Antonia had married Neuburg (who is neither a ruler or heir apparent) they will likely stay in Austria and in any case he is Karl’s maternal uncle so marrying his daughter to his nephew would be the most logical thing to do for him also...
Sobieski will most likely use Antonia’s daughter for getting some big concessions from a Leopold in exchange of the custody of the girl.
Max is the only one who can be tempted to go for a French match (as Anjou is his nephew) but that would mean losing the job of Governor of Netherlands and make of Leopold an implacable enemy.
Much will depend also from where is when Antonia died: if little Margaret was in Austria (and is pretty likely) you can be sure who Leopold will not give back his granddaughter to her father.

True, assuming of course that Maria Antonia dies young and doesn't live long enough to see her daughter grow up

True, assuming of course that Maria Antonia dies young and doesn't live long enough to see her daughter grow up
Sure, but in that case is pretty unlikely who Antonia will refute a match between her daughter and her half-brother (o a match between her son and her half-sister or half-niece orto name her half-brother as heir if she is childless). Maria Antonia was a pretty loyal daughter in the end

VVD0D95

Banned
Sure, but in that case is pretty unlikely who Antonia will refute a match between her daughter and her half-brother (o a match between her son and her half-sister or half-niece orto name her half-brother as heir if she is childless). Maria Antonia was a pretty loyal daughter in the end

Very true which is something I've always found surprising, given how much her father shafted her

Very true which is something I've always found surprising, given how much her father shafted her
I think she was Habsburg enough to understand her father, specially considering what kind of husband she had and their truly bad relationship...
So she wanted what was hers by right but understood also who for her father was not a personal question against her...

VVD0D95

Banned
I think she was Habsburg enough to understand her father, specially considering what kind of husband she had and their truly bad relationship...
So she wanted what was hers by right but understood also who for her father was not a personal question against her...

This is true

Yeah, I suppose if she has a posthumous daughter with Max Emanuel the girl would be born in Vienna but Leopold would have to be careful about going after custody lest he drive Joseph Clement into the waiting arms of France.

If Max Emanuel lived I could see the deal being made to give his daughter to Philip and in exchange the French agree he can stay on in the Spanish Netherlands. I'm sure the French would be open to such a deal if it wrapped the Spanish Succession up in a nice bow for them.

Yeah, I suppose if she has a posthumous daughter with Max Emanuel the girl would be born in Vienna but Leopold would have to be careful about going after custody lest he drive Joseph Clement into the waiting arms of France.

If Max Emanuel lived I could see the deal being made to give his daughter to Philip and in exchange the French agree he can stay on in the Spanish Netherlands. I'm sure the French would be open to such a deal if it wrapped the Spanish Succession up in a nice bow for them.
Again, the girl will be born in Vienna and Leopold will want the custody of the girl and has no reason for sending her in Bavaria where she is heiress of nothing (as women can not inherit the Bavarian lands) unlike JF in OTL. Little Margaret of Bavaria will be Leopold’s ward and Archduke Karl’s wife and Joseph Clemens has no right to oppose to it while Max Emanuel well, like or not would need to accept the situation who is mostly his fault: if he was a better husband Antonia will not have left their daughter in her own father’s custody for revenge...

Again, the girl will be born in Vienna and Leopold will want the custody of the girl and has no reason for sending her in Bavaria where she is heiress of nothing (as women can not inherit the Bavarian lands) unlike JF in OTL. Little Margaret of Bavaria will be Leopold’s ward and Archduke Karl’s wife and Joseph Clemens has no right to oppose to it while Max Emanuel well, like or not would need to accept the situation who is mostly his fault: if he was a better husband Antonia will not have left their daughter in her own father’s custody for revenge...

Interesting, I guess I was thinking that, since the girl is a Wittelsbach and not a Habsburg Leopold would have no legal claim. If Maria Antonia lives, as the girl's mother she could take custody of her and then defer to her father's wishes. But I didn't think that would hold true if she remarries in which case the girl's paternal family could claim custody. Certainly some of this could be spelled out in Max Emanuel's will if he has one. And since the Wittelsbach girl would have a potential claim to Spain I assume her father's family would want custody of her if for no other reason than to use her as a bargaining chip. So Leopold may get physical custody but I was thinking it could spark a legal challenge and damage his standing with the German princes.

Interesting, I guess I was thinking that, since the girl is a Wittelsbach and not a Habsburg Leopold would have no legal claim. If Maria Antonia lives, as the girl's mother she could take custody of her and then defer to her father's wishes. But I didn't think that would hold true if she remarries in which case the girl's paternal family could claim custody. Certainly some of this could be spelled out in Max Emanuel's will if he has one. And since the Wittelsbach girl would have a potential claim to Spain I assume her father's family would want custody of her if for no other reason than to use her as a bargaining chip. So Leopold may get physical custody but I was thinking it could spark a legal challenge and damage his standing with the German princes.
Again, as the girl is heiress to Spain and not of Bavaria, Leopold has a greater claim than the Wittelsbach to her custody and if Max Emanuel is dead they will have no chance to get her. Again only Mariana and Carlos would have a greater claim to the custody of little Margaret of Bavaria than Leopold if Antonia is dead (but not if Antonia had simply remarried) as all the inheritance rights of Margaret came from her maternal family