Mario Goes Hollywood: A Collaborative Timeline

Well I do have an idea, which I posted in the top video games never made thread.
SEGA Exodus

Release Date: November 10th, 1997.

Dimensions: 3.25 backlit screen, Sega Genesis D-Pad, 6-face buttons (A,B,C,X,Y,Z), 2-shoulder buttons (L and R on top). The Shell itself is designed to resemble a large Sega Saturn Controller. While still large enough to be visible in your pocket, the size is still about 1/8th the size of the game gear.

Game Storage: ROM Carts similar in size and design to the Game Gear Carts. Capable of holding up to 8MB of data in the carts. Backwards compatibility for all Game Gear games.

Main CPU: Zilog Z8116 16-bit processor (manufactured by NEC.)

Price: $250 at launch. $30 for every game sold.

But honestly if you can add the Wonderswan's CPU in place of the Zilog along with its RAM, while all models would need at least 2 AA batteries to run, I think we could put the 10-20 hour lifetime, but one feature I feel the need to retain is either backwards compatibility with the game gear or the ability to turn off the backlit screen.

Well I do have an idea, which I posted in the top video games never made thread.

But honestly if you can add the Wonderswan's CPU in place of the Zilog along with its RAM, while all models would need at least 2 AA batteries to run, I think we could put the 10-20 hour lifetime, but one feature I feel the need to retain is either backwards compatibility with the game gear or the ability to turn off the backlit screen.
I think you overestimated how much people owned a Gamegear...very little, so backward compatibility is not that needed, better start with a better system.

I think you overestimated how much people owned a Gamegear...very little, so backward compatibility is not that needed, better start with a better system.

You are not wrong. When coming up with this, I'm forgetting the fact that the game gear only sold 11 million units worldwide in 4 years.

You are not wrong. When coming up with this, I'm forgetting the fact that the game gear only sold 11 million units worldwide in 4 years.
Where those numbers come? IIRC those were 6 Millions back in 2010...did Sega found GG sold better even if they barely supported it?

Should the Bandai merger happen. I could see Agumon being another mascot character.

I'm thinking with video game movies being a bigger thing. We could see live action digimon and pokemon movies in the 200s. But we are a ways off from that.

Should the Bandai merger happen. I could see Agumon being another mascot character.

I'm thinking with video game movies being a bigger thing. We could see live action digimon and pokemon movies in the 200s. But we are a ways off from that.
I think people overestimated Digimon popularity, when the anime and toys sold well... as a game was pedestrian, Only the original YW outsold all digimons at the time. Maybe an original thing, or one is a more direct clone like youkai watch that the weird genre roulette digimon play.

I read it wrong, it was 10.62 million worldwide from the japanese release in 1990 to the discontinuation in 1997.
Maybe i underestimated the GG..the thing is..i always see Gameboy out there second hand and people owned one...is hard seeing someone owned a GG(ditto a lynx), Maybe Sega Killed it fast...too fast or failed with it.

Pulling up the timeline from The Ultimate History of Video Games and just wanted to see what milestones we've touched on so far, just see what can be changed.

• Genesis outsells the SNES until the Super Mario Bros. movie boosted Nintendo's profile, keeping everything neck and neck.
    • Sega releases the Sega CD
    • Panasonic releases the 3DO.
    • Atari commits sudoku with the Jaguar.
    • Nintendo launches the SNES-CD, created in partnership with Philips.
    • Broderbund publishes Myst (can this get ported over to the SNES-CD or wait for the Ultra Nintendo?)
    • Id publishes Doom (this does get a SNES-CD port, which does a lot better than the vanilla SNES port from OTL.)
    • Virgin Interactive Entertainment publishes The 7th Guest
    • Senate hearings over video game violence.
    • The IDSA is created in response to the Senate hearings.
    • Donkey Kong Country on the SNES-CD
    • Sega launches a partnership with NEC.
    • Saturn and PlayStation launch in Japan.
That's just the basics.

Last edited:
I think people overestimated Digimon popularity, when the anime and toys sold well... as a game was pedestrian, Only the original YW outsold all digimons at the time. Maybe an original thing, or one is a more direct clone like youkai watch that the weird genre roulette digimon play.
Oh no I agree. But if they do merge I could see Sega/Bandai putting more money into making Digimon a big deal.

Last edited:
TTL equivalent of the 32X is launched, an add-on created in a partnership with NEC. (Possible name: Sega Turbo Charger)
We're going with this? better put all the stops in the Saturn, keep focus all the development team, something doomed sega OTL.
Oh no I agree. But if they do merge I could see Sega/Bandai putting more money into making Digimon a big deal.
Yeah, they would need to keep the games more focused, like an early Story plotline.

We're going with this? better put all the stops in the Saturn, keep focus all the development team, something doomed sega OTL.
Yeah, they would need to keep the games more focused, like an early Story plotline.

Oh wait... dang it, I misread that earlier post. Nevermind, no 32X, just focus on development on the Saturn.

Sega/Bandai will keep a tighter focus on the story. However, the games will focus on the adventures of the first generation Chosen Children that didn't even make an appearance until OTL's Tri. In keeping with series mascots, I can see two versions with either Agumon or Gabumon as the lead 'mon. I would call them Digimon World: Fire and Digimon World: Ice. Both see release in Fall/Winter 1998 on the Game Gear successor, the Sega Titan as setup to the anime in 1999.

As for the Titan's name, I thought it would be better for it to tie in with its console "brother" with Titan being the largest moon of Saturn.

Sega/Bandai will keep a tighter focus on the story. However, the games will focus on the adventures of the first generation Chosen Children that didn't even make an appearance until OTL's Tri. In keeping with series mascots, I can see two versions with either Agumon or Gabumon as the lead 'mon. I would call them Digimon World: Fire and Digimon World: Ice. Both see release in Fall/Winter 1998 on the Game Gear successor, the Sega Titan as setup to the anime in 1999.

As for the Titan's name, I thought it would be better for it to tie in with its console "brother" with Titan being the largest moon of Saturn.
Dunno, i think we're overestimating digimon power at all...the anime is the thing why is still alive but the game...the best selling was still the digimon story cyber sleuth, thanks to be a shin megami tensei-lite game...

Titan is a nice name BTW, as the console brother, even if far weaker(other would be Mars or Selene)

Dunno, i think we're overestimating digimon power at all...the anime is the thing why is still alive but the game...the best selling was still the digimon story cyber sleuth, thanks to be a shin megami tensei-lite game...
As I see it, Digimon's popularity will peak in 2000-1 before going into terminal decline and will likely be seen as one of the better Pokemon imitators by critics and audiences. It will have a niche audience afterward, but nowhere as big as Pokemon's.

As I see it, Digimon's popularity will peak in 2000-1 before going into terminal decline and will likely be seen as one of the better Pokemon imitators by critics and audiences. It will have a niche audience afterward, but nowhere as big as Pokemon's.
Still not Yokai Watch...Seriously Hiino is a mastermind in what kids wants

Pulling up the timeline from The Ultimate History of Video Games and just wanted to see what milestones we've touched on so far, just see what can be changed.

• Genesis outsells the SNES until the Super Mario Bros. movie boosted Nintendo's profile, keeping everything neck and neck.
    • Sega releases the Sega CD
    • Panasonic releases the 3DO.
    • Atari commits sudoku with the Jaguar.
    • Nintendo launches the SNES-CD, created in partnership with Philips.
    • Broderbund publishes Myst (can this get ported over to the SNES-CD or wait for the Ultra Nintendo?)
    • Id publishes Doom (this does get a SNES-CD port, which does a lot better than the vanilla SNES port from OTL.)
    • Virgin Interactive Entertainment publishes The 7th Guest
    • Senate hearings over video game violence.
    • The IDSA is created in response to the Senate hearings.
    • Donkey Kong Country on the SNES-CD
    • Sega launches a partnership with NEC.
    • Saturn and PlayStation launch in Japan.
That's just the basics.
I would move Sega/NEC's partnership to 1993 with NEC announcing the discontinuation of the TurboGrafix-16 and TurboDuo effective December 31, 1993.

Also, one idea to kick around (and knicked from another thread) is for Sega to release a Genesis/Sega CD hybrid console (let's call it the Hyper Drive or Hyper Genesis) for the Holiday 1993 season for less than the price of system and accessory combined to "compete" with the SNES-CD. Possibly to entice Genesis/Sega CD customers, they can send the Genesis/Sega CD/both they bought that year back to Sega for a rebate on "X" number of games if they buy a Hyper Genesis. An expensive proposition, I imagine, but it could buy some good will from the customers in the lead up to the Saturn.

I would move Sega/NEC's partnership to 1993 with NEC announcing the discontinuation of the TurboGrafix-16 and TurboDuo effective December 31, 1993.

Also, one idea to kick around (and knicked from another thread) is for Sega to release a Genesis/Sega CD hybrid console (let's call it the Hyper Drive or Hyper Genesis) for the Holiday 1993 season for less than the price of system and accessory combined to "compete" with the SNES-CD. Possibly to entice Genesis/Sega CD customers, they can send the Genesis/Sega CD/both they bought that year back to Sega for a rebate on "X" number of games if they buy a Hyper Genesis. An expensive proposition, I imagine, but it could buy some good will from the customers in the lead up to the Saturn.

Maybe have the NEC/Sega partnership in early 1994. The Hyper Genesis does well enough to tide over the fanbase, but they know that the SNES-CD is gonna with this fight, so they make the moves to partner up with NEC. The two companies also release a special promotional comic where Johnny Turbo battles Feka goons, joined in the fight by Sonic to symbolize their partnership and they promise to take on the forces of NoFunDo together.

Maybe have the NEC/Sega partnership in early 1994. The Hyper Genesis does well enough to tide over the fanbase, but they know that the SNES-CD is gonna with this fight, so they make the moves to partner up with NEC. The two companies also release a special promotional comic where Johnny Turbo battles Feka goons, joined in the fight by Sonic to symbolize their partnership and they promise to take on the forces of NoFunDo together.
Keeping the Mega-CD supported is the right move, but spending too much money on genesis/mega drive will not like Sega at all, specially as the new profits would be used in arcades or upcoming saturn, the idea is right, a integrated Genesis+CD as the Giga Drive(keep the name everywhere), and keep some games on CD as exclusives.

Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Bros. 2

Super_Mario_Bros._2.jpg

Directed By:
Harold Ramis
Produced By: Jake Eberts/Roland Joffé
Written By: Tom S. Parker/Jim Jennewein
Based On: Super Mario Bros. by Nintendo

Cast
Bob Hoskins as Mario
Danny DeVito as Wario
John Leguizamo as Luigi
Kenny Baker as Toad
Samantha Mathis as Princess Daisy
Fiona Shaw as Pauline
Keith David as the voice of Tatanga
Frank Welker as the voice of Junior

Release Date: July 15, 1994
Budget: $100 million
Box Office: $500 million​

And another knockout success for Mario. The plot begins with Mario and Pauline living together, Mario still working as a plumber with Toad acting as his assistant as Luigi moved out after the events of the first movie to live with Princess Daisy. We get some mild sitcom antics with Mario, Pauline, and Toad before a portal opens up, through which Luigi and Junior come spilling out. Luigi has come to get Mario's help as Sarasaland is under attack from aliens. Despite Luigi's fears of Mario's skepticism, Mario believes him and asks when they can leave. And so, they head through the portal and a fun adventure ensues. For the most part, the plot is seen as a weak rehash of the first film, Daisy being kidnapped by a villain and the Mario Brothers have to save her. However, Parker and Jennewein are able to make the story work thanks to drawing from the Star Wars in terms of keeping the audience thrilled and supplying solid comedy.

The four major players praised were Hoskins' Mario, Leguizamo's Luigi, DeVito's Wario and Tatanga. Hoskins, while seemingly not having a lot to work with since Mario's heart warmed up, is clearly having a blast and playing well off of Fiona Shaw and against Danny DeVito. In the film, Wario is a clone of Mario created by Tatanga but given a twisted, cruel personality, a dark mirror of Mario. DeVito plays him mostly for the comedy but can occasionally interject menace into the role, though he and Hoskins mainly just tried to one-up each other overall.

Leguizamo, meanwhile, had to carry the dramatic weight of the story, building his friendship with Toad and wondering if he can prove himself as good as his brother (playing a bit off Leguizamo's own doubts on being second to Hoskins) but he does the job well. Finally, there's Tatanga, who gained a good chunk of budget to make sure the animatronics were there to give the costume the right articulation for his mouth. Keith David's voice provides Tatanga a great presence as an interstellar warlord and allows some levity during Wario's hijinks throughout. The movie ends with Luigi rescuing Daisy, Mario besting Wario (who bails when he realizes that Tatanga's gonna stiff him on his pay) and Luigi topples the tyrant of the stars, living happily ever after.

The film came in with double the original's budget and walked out with five times that in the box office, putting it at #3 on the worldwide box office, below Forrest Gump at #2 and The Lion King at #1. The movie did put a small dent in The Mask, costing it $50 million of its take, but since that means it only made $300 million, I doubt think Jim Carrey or Cameron Diaz are gonna be crying into their pillows about how the movie did. The movies that suffered were The Next Karate Kid and Milk Money, neither of which could handle the onslaught of Lion King and SMB 2, both raking four million each and bombing hard. The movie was also the third success in movies for Nintendo, but maybe some other video game companies will be able to rake in that coin soon. We'll see in November.

Last edited: