Mario Goes Hollywood: A Collaborative Timeline

And, in SNES-CD news, I'll be cribbing just a bit from Player Two Start and running with prices of $199 for the standalone peripheral and $349 for the combo pack. Buyers of the standalone will get a coupon for $50 off their next SNES game purchase and both versions come packaged with Super Mario All-Stars. I might also consider throwing in a ticket for the Zelda movie into the $349 bundle, but that might be a bit of a risky proposition, giving off a lack of faith in the movie's chances at the box office. But, we'll see. We've got most of our ducks in a row and I think I'll have the write-ups for SNES-CD and the Zelda movie done when I get home from work.

Last edited:
And, in SNES-CD news, I'll be cribbing just a bit from PlayStr Two Start and running with prices of $199 for the standalone peripheral and $349 for the combo pack. Buyers of the standalone will get a coupon for $50 off their next SNES game purchase and both versions come packaged with Super Mario All-Stars. I might also consider throwing in a ticket for the Zelda movie into the $349 bundle, but that might be a bit of a risky proposition, giving off a lack of faith in the movie's chances at the box office. But, we'll see. We've got most of our ducks in a row and I think I'll have the write-ups for SNES-CD and the Zelda movie done when I get home from work.
I was to proposed that, specially as in 1993 there was an strategic pricedrop making it cheaper for combopack to get sold too. The rest i think with the packin is fine. i think the rebated should be for the standalone, as is cheapter the combo now

SNES-CD
SNES-CD

SNES-CD_add-on.jpg

Developer:
Nintendo R&D2/Philips
Manufacturer: Nintendo/Philips
Release Date: December 4, 1993
Starting Price: $199 (Standalone Unit) $349 (Combo Unit)​

Ladies and gentlemen, we have the SNES-CD! Now, this is gonna be an interesting variant of the usual timeline as while we got the SNES-CD, Sony's still likely to release the Playstation next year. The pack-in game is Super Mario All-Stars, a compilation of older Super Mario titles: Super Mario Bros. 1-3 and the previously unreleased Japanese version of Super Mario Bros 2. (dubbed The Lost Levels) (Note: If this thing has enough memory for it, we can add Super Mario World to the disc to really up the appeal.)

To alleviate the anger of early adopters for the SNES, Nintendo added a special $50 voucher for any SNES game if they buy the standalone peripheral, which can also be used for SNES-CD games. Along with All-Stars, the following launch titles were announced: Super Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting (the major fighting game rep), Final Fantasy III (known in Japan as V), Secret of Mana (Square's other major RPG release for the SNES-CD), Disney Aladdin (Because of course) and Mega Man X (The mainline Mega Man franchise will continue on the vanilla SNES)

The early sales weren't great, but the Christmas season would see sales explode as kids had two big things on their wishlist that year, the SNES-CD and a ticket to the biggest movie of the Christmas season...

Last edited:
The Legend of Zelda
The Legend of Zelda

LOZAnimatedTitleScreen.jpg

Directed By:
Terry Gilliam
Written By: Pen Densham/John Watson
Produced By: Disney/Nintendo
Based On: The Legend of Zelda by Nintendo

Cast
Leonardo DiCaprio as Link
Drew Barrymore as Princess Zelda
Tony Todd as the voice of Ganon
Christopher Lambert as Dragomir
Dame Maggie Smith as Impa
BRIAN BLESSED as Uncle Alphonse
Robin Williams as Tarin

Release Date: December 11, 1993
Budget: $72.5 million
Box Office: $457 million​

Nintendo's offering for 1993 was a bit more ambitious and the risk paid off with the second highest-grossing film of the 1993 box office. (Only being stopped by the monster megahit of Jurassic Park) The film tells the story of Link (DiCaprio) living out his life as a farmhand for his uncle Alphonse (Blessed) a former Knight of the Hylian Guard of the Kingdom of Hyrule. The film, as opposed to the fast-paced action-adventure of Super Mario, takes its time to build its story and world for the audience, allowing newcomers to the franchise to get engrossed in it. Link aspires to be a knight just like his father and uncle, though Alphonse is reticent to train him. When Link puts himself at risk to help stop an attack by Moblins, he is rescued by Dragomir (Lambert) another Knight who admires Link's courage and takes the boy on as his apprentice.

Intercut with Link's training are scenes of Princess Zelda (Barrymore) and her nursemaid/advisor Impa (Smith) discussing the recent Moblin attacks. Fearing the possibility of invasion, Zelda splits the Triforce of Wisdom into three parts, scattering them just before Hyrule Castle is attacked by the dark wizard, Ganon, covered in black full-body armor and speaking with the booming voice of Tony Todd. Zelda manages to help Impa escape the castle to seek Dragomir while she attempts to hold Ganon off. Impa finds Dragomir and tells him of Zelda's capture and pleads with him to reforge the Triforce of Wisdom and find the Triforce of Courage as their combined powers can force Ganon back.

The story mainly focuses on Link and Dragomir's journey to gather the first fragment of the Triforce, allowing for worldbuilding such as what the Triforces are and learning more about Dragomir. The second act also has a fun scene of Robin Williams as Tarin, a kindly merchant who giddily shows off his wares to Link. Along with Robin, his daughter Zelda (named after the character) appears in the background (officially not given a name, but dubbed Marin by fans) The film ends Link and Dragomir defeating the first of three Triforce Guardians, Dodongo, and claiming the first fragment of the Triforce while Ganon watches Hyrule Castle from upon Death Mountain, giving orders to his Moblin army to destroy it as a warning to those who would try to stop him.

The film was the biggest movie of December, with kids and adults lining up to see it in theaters. While this didn't have much effect on the likes of Philadelphia or Schindler's List, it absolutely decimated Beethoven's 2nd, which only took away a quarter of it's OTL box office take (going from $118 million to $29 million) meaning the movie underperformed and completely shuttering future Beethoven films. It also prevented Batman: Mask of the Phantasm from seeing a theatrical release (which suit Paul Dini just fine as he wanted it to go straight to video anyway.) and since Leo was in this film and not What's Eating Gilbert Grape the role of Arnie went to Tobey Maguire instead. That movie did the same as OTL, and while Tobey is no Leonardo, he brought his own spin to the role and does a good job.

But yeah, another ballpark success for the Nintendo/Disney partnership. Should make up for the disappointing early sales on the SNES-CD before that takes off.

Last edited:
But yeah, another ballpark success for the Nintendo/Disney partnership. Should make up for the disappointing early sales on the SNES-CD before that takes off.
Amazing work with the movie, give that epic feel and the fantasy themes well done, specially making hyrule his own world, needed as the movie was sure to got sequels. Nice work with the movie, great work

Amazing work with the movie, give that epic feel and the fantasy themes well done, specially making hyrule his own world, needed as the movie was sure to got sequels. Nice work with the movie, great work

Honestly, it was all about making a world that people who weren't familiar with the franchise could enter into. One of the big problems with adapting any medium is the audience is often alien to your world. Sometimes filmmakers just try to squeeze the square peg in the round hole and make the world into one that audiences are more familiar with. It's better to make a door for the audience to step through to enter the world. And at this point, Zelda was somewhat light on lore, so thee's a lot of room to tinker with.

For those wondering how they got Robin Williams after the Aladdin kerfuffle, it comes down to two things. 1.) He's worked with Terry Gilliam before on Baron Munchausen and would probably love to work with him again and 2.) It's a Zelda movie, so obviously he would be there.

@Megafighter3

Nintendo should now look at their library for more ideas for video game movies. I'd say that Metroid and Contra could work. Would it be considered typecasting to have Sigourney Weaver playing Samus? Also, Contra could be a badass Rambo Vs Aliens movie.

Part of me hopes Sega of Japan has a moment of clarity and decides to not proceed with Project Mars (or better known as the 32X.) That would mean more resources for the Saturn, and maybe look at a more developer-friendly chipset. One TL I read had former-rival NEC partner up with Sega so that would be something to see considering the PC-Engine's large fanbase in Japan. As I see it, a new Bonk title could be a good launch title for the alt-Saturn. Just stick to the original release date of September 1995 to not alienate retailers and keep the price at around $299 and it will be interesting to see how Sony and Sega go head-to-head. Could something like that happen ITTL?

In regards to the Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie, I was having second thoughts about Jaleel White and Jim Cummings as Sonic and Dr. Robotnik. Not so such that I believe they aren't up to the task, I was just wondering if Sega of America would insist on celebrities to fill the roles of the lead characters. White could possibly qualify since he's big on TGIF, but what would you guys say?

The voice cast I have in my head so far would be:
Sonic the Hedgehog - Jaleel White (reprising the role from SatAM, but sounds more like Stephan Urkele to make it more distinct.)
Miles "Tails" Prower - Bradley Pierce (reprising the role from SatAM.)
Amy Rose - Christina Ricci
Dr. Ivo Robotnik - Jim Cummings (tentative)
Buzzbomber - David Spade
Motobug - Chris Farley
Metal Sonic - ???
Knuckles the Echidna - ??? (post-credits cameo)

I added in Spade and Farley as possibly a way to appease the demand for more celebrity voices. I could see their roles as something akin to C3PO and R2-D2 if they worked for the Empire instead of the Rebels, albeit as bumblers that frustrate Robotnik. Buzzbomber would be the snarky "brains" of the duo while Motobug is the dimwitted knucklehead; they eventually betray Robotnik after he replaces them with Metal Sonic and end up "destroyed" in the explosion that cripples the Death Egg. However, the film reveals that they survived and returned to their animal forms (a flick and squirrel) in the post-credits scene to witness Knuckles' confrontation with Robotnik.

As for release date, I was looking for June/July, but would would they want to release before Pocahontas? (June 23)

Part of me hopes Sega of Japan has a moment of clarity and decides to not proceed with Project Mars (or better known as the 32X.) That would mean more resources for the Saturn, and maybe look at a more developer-friendly chipset. One TL I read had former-rival NEC partner up with Sega so that would be something to see considering the PC-Engine's large fanbase in Japan. As I see it, a new Bonk title could be a good launch title for the alt-Saturn. Just stick to the original release date of September 1995 to not alienate retailers and keep the price at around $299 and it will be interesting to see how Sony and Sega go head-to-head. Could something like that happen ITTL?

In regards to the Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie, I was having second thoughts about Jaleel White and Jim Cummings as Sonic and Dr. Robotnik. Not so such that I believe they aren't up to the task, I was just wondering if Sega of America would insist on celebrities to fill the roles of the lead characters. White could possibly qualify since he's big on TGIF, but what would you guys say?

Sonic the Hedgehog - Jaleel White (reprising the role from SatAM, but sounds more like Stephan Urkele to make it more distinct.)
Buzzbomber - David Spade
Motobug - Chris Farley
Metal Sonic - ???

I added in Spade and Farley as possibly a way to appease the demand for more celebrity voices. I could see their roles as something akin to C3PO and R2-D2 if they worked for the Empire instead of the Rebels, albeit as bumblers that frustrate Robotnik. Buzzbomber would be the snarky "brains" of the duo while Motobug is the dimwitted knucklehead; they eventually betray Robotnik after he replaces them with Metal Sonic and end up "destroyed" in the explosion that cripples the Death Egg. However, the film reveals that they survived and returned to their animal forms (a flick and squirrel) in the post-credits scene to witness Knuckles' confrontation with Robotnik.

As for release date, I was looking for June/July, but would would they want to release before Pocahontas? (June 23)

If you need a celebrity for the voice of Robotnik Tim Curry could definitely work. I'm just sad that there's no way to get Vincent Price to fit the role.

Matt Frewer could also work as Buzzbomber.

I'm of two minds regarding Metal Sonic. If he's just a cold emotionless robot I'd have Frank Welker do his Soundwave voice. It'd be more interesting if Metal Sonic was a twisted dark take on Sonic's one personality. He believes that he's the real Sonic. So we've got this sick twisted version of Sonic who believes he's the genuine article. This frankly feels like Metal Sonic could come back as the Big Bad in his own right.

Since Knuckles is only a cameo this could be anyone. Terrence Carson, the first voice of Kratos, could work. So would Kevin Michael Richardson. I say this because my first choice, Dan Green, wouldn't even start his career until the New Millenium.

And how about Christopher Lee as a character like Ixis Naugus?

@Megafighter3

Nintendo should now look at their library for more ideas for video game movies. I'd say that Metroid and Contra could work. Would it be considered typecasting to have Sigourney Weaver playing Samus? Also, Contra could be a badass Rambo Vs Aliens movie.
Contra is Konami and depends what Konami wants, Still Is a little typecast but so far i can only see Miss Weaver doing some justice to samus(nowadays would be Mrs Theron after her furiosa role)

@Megafighter3

There's certainly an opening for Metroid, but I'd probably say not go with Weaver. She's a bit too tied to the Ripley character and it would probably serve as more of a distraction.

Buzzbomber - David Spade
Motobug - Chris Farley
Metal Sonic - ???

Sonic's something I've only rarely tinkered with, so I've mostly left it to you, but I want to consider a possibility for the studio that will animate the Hedgehog's theatrical debut...

DreamWorks.

Yep. Katzenberg still leaves Disney. Even if we save Wells from dying, all roads lead to Katzenberg's ego not allowing him to take second best. He leaves to form DreamWorks SKG and what a better way to try and stick it to Disney than having them partner up with Nintendo's rival in the gaming industry? And as for going against Pocahontas... hrm, it's a risky play, but let's push the Sonic movie to a 1996 release. See, I've got Mario 3 rough drafted and it's designed to be a weak folllow-up to the previous two, so having Sonic's movie hit theaters and outshine would be a solid V for Sonic overall.

As for SEGA? Yeah, give the go-ahead for the NEC partnership. Of course, now the whole thing becomes a real fight between Nintendo, SEGA and Sony on the CD gaming market. Sure, the SNES-CD doesn't have anything on the PlayStation spec-wise, but Nintendo is the gaming company right now. They've got Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Metroid, Mega Man, Final Fantasy, etc. Plus, they've unveiled Star Fox and F-Zero to the world, all SEGA's really got is Sonic in the public consciousness and Sony is more known for stuff other than video games.

Contra is Konami and depends what Konami wants, Still Is a little typecast but so far i can only see Miss Weaver doing some justice to samus(nowadays would be Mrs Theron after her furiosa role)

Maybe Uma Thurman, but she doesn't really start looking the part until 2003 when the first Kill Bill hits. I imagine Konami would want in on that sweet coin, but at this stage it's mostly Nintendo's game. We'll have to see if things turn around with Street Fighter.

Sony is more known for stuff other than video games.
And Sony have not entered into the market yet, that is 1994 japan, 1995 everything else. And with a sucessful SNES-CD, that put that pressure on SEGA. Meaning they might put all stops on Saturn, working with NEC is a nice idea, help make a simpler saturn, if they can get an easy 3d chip to help to virtua figther(here is the next possible movie idea, VF was a phenomenon in japan) the rest would be a real three man war of SNES-CD and Later Ultra/N64, the PS1 and the saturn
Maybe Uma Thurman, but she doesn't really start looking the part until 2003 when the first Kill Bill hits. I imagine Konami would want in on that sweet coin, but at this stage it's mostly Nintendo's game. We'll have to see if things turn around with Street Fighter.
Depends, Seeing other third party show how is the real invesment, but they can hire Arnie or Stalone and a cheap Dolph Lugren as the partner

Oh snap, I think I have a director lined up for a future Contra movie already. Fred Dekker, your time will come some day, maybe not today, but someday.

Also, sounds like Atari is screwed... hrm... unless Atari and Sony... maybe... what do you guys think, Atari-Sony partnership?

Oh snap, I think I have a director lined up for a future Contra movie already. Fred Dekker, your time will come some day, maybe not today, but someday.

Also, sounds like Atari is screwed... hrm... unless Atari and Sony... maybe... what do you guys think, Atari-Sony partnership?
Atari Killed itself naturally, maybe cheap sony could buy the name...but that seems not worth that much

There's certainly an opening for Metroid, but I'd probably say not go with Weaver. She's a bit too tied to the Ripley character and it would probably serve as more of a distraction.

Maybe if her voice is heavily modified she could serve as the voice of Mother Brain.

Sonic's something I've only rarely tinkered with, so I've mostly left it to you, but I want to consider a possibility for the studio that will animate the Hedgehog's theatrical debut...

DreamWorks.

Yep. Katzenberg still leaves Disney. Even if we save Wells from dying, all roads lead to Katzenberg's ego not allowing him to take second best. He leaves to form DreamWorks SKG and what a better way to try and stick it to Disney than having them partner up with Nintendo's rival in the gaming industry? And as for going against Pocahontas... hrm, it's a risky play, but let's push the Sonic movie to a 1996 release. See, I've got Mario 3 rough drafted and it's designed to be a weak folllow-up to the previous two, so having Sonic's movie hit theaters and outshine would be a solid V for Sonic overall.

As for SEGA? Yeah, give the go-ahead for the NEC partnership. Of course, now the whole thing becomes a real fight between Nintendo, SEGA and Sony on the CD gaming market. Sure, the SNES-CD doesn't have anything on the PlayStation spec-wise, but Nintendo is the gaming company right now. They've got Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Metroid, Mega Man, Final Fantasy, etc. Plus, they've unveiled Star Fox and F-Zero to the world, all SEGA's really got is Sonic in the public consciousness and Sony is more known for stuff other than video games.

As long as you can get them to avoid them devolving to the point of releasing the freaking Boss Baby that sounds like a great idea. And now I want to find a video game franchise that Steven Spielberg can make a movie out of.

I definitely want to see 3DO survive long-term. Maybe they team up with Microsoft after Sega-Sony turned them down?

Raul Julia should be the only name set in stone for Street Fighter. Let's hope that TTL's version is a movie fitting of his talents.

Atari Killed itself naturally, maybe cheap sony could buy the name...but that seems not worth that much

Honestly, Atari getting turned into a game studio for the Sony-Sega partnership seems like the best fate they could ask for.

Ah well. Requiescat in pace, Atari.

https://www.the-numbers.com/movies/year/1994

Welp, here's 1994 in movies. Super Mario Bros 2. will be slated for a Summer release and there's really only one problem to sort out: Who's playing Tatanga? I'm gonna say that it's mainly a voice role as the character will be portrayed by a suit resembling his appearance in the Game Boy comic.

Tatanga_in_the_Game_Boy_comics.png

Though with modifications to the mouth if we can't get the mouth movements down.

Otherwise, have a look and see what you wanna have a swing at for 1994 in movies.

Maybe if her voice is heavily modified she could serve as the voice of Mother Brain.

As long as you can get them to avoid them devolving to the point of releasing the freaking Boss Baby that sounds like a great idea. And now I want to find a video game franchise that Steven Spielberg can make a movie out of.

I definitely want to see 3DO survive long-term. Maybe they team up with Microsoft after Sega-Sony turned them down?

Raul Julia should be the only name set in stone for Street Fighter. Let's hope that TTL's version is a movie fitting of his talents.

Honestly, Atari getting turned into a game studio for the Sony-Sega partnership seems like the best fate they could ask for.

Uh... the main alliance is SEGA-NEC, Sony's gonna be running independent and Atari is gonna end up buried in the ground.

As for Street Fighter, our only locks are Julia and, begrudgingly, Van Damme. He still has name value even with all that coke running through his system.

As for Spielberg, nothing springs to mind and I might try to drift him to working with George on the Star Wars prequels, but we'll have to see with how things are going in the TL. Hm... maybe Mega Man as a possible franchise, but don't quote me on that either.

Maybe use Weaver for Mother Brain as a cute little joke. Either her or Levi Stubbs.

Also, I do wanna note that Lou Albano and Danny Wells do show up in the Mario Bros movie as two guys that run the pizza place Mario and Luigi frequent. Gotta give them something, right?

If you need a celebrity for the voice of Robotnik Tim Curry could definitely work. I'm just sad that there's no way to get Vincent Price to fit the role.
Oh, Tim Curry, I like. I will definitely take that into consideration.

Matt Frewer could also work as Buzzbomber.
Frewer could work, but I chose Spade and Farley because they would be hot off Saturday Night Live.

I'm of two minds regarding Metal Sonic. If he's just a cold emotionless robot I'd have Frank Welker do his Soundwave voice. It'd be more interesting if Metal Sonic was a twisted dark take on Sonic's one personality. He believes that he's the real Sonic. So we've got this sick twisted version of Sonic who believes he's the genuine article. This frankly feels like Metal Sonic could come back as the Big Bad in his own right.
Now there's an idea. I could envision Sonic the Hedgehog as a trilogy of films if successful enough. The first film is a loose adaptation of the first two games with elements of Sonic CD thrown in. The second is clearly an adaptation of Sonic 3 & Knuckles. The third could be the one with Metal Sonic as the big bad, forcing Sonic and Dr. Robotnik into a reluctant alliance.

Since Knuckles is only a cameo this could be anyone. Terrence Carson, the first voice of Kratos, could work. So would Kevin Michael Richardson. I say this because my first choice, Dan Green, wouldn't even start his career until the New Millenium.
I'll take that into consideration.

And how about Christopher Lee as a character like Ixis Naugus?
I could imagine said character as the keeper of the last emerald that Sonic has to prove his worthiness to.

DreamWorks.

Yep. Katzenberg still leaves Disney. Even if we save Wells from dying, all roads lead to Katzenberg's ego not allowing him to take second best. He leaves to form DreamWorks SKG and what a better way to try and stick it to Disney than having them partner up with Nintendo's rival in the gaming industry? And as for going against Pocahontas... hrm, it's a risky play, but let's push the Sonic movie to a 1996 release. See, I've got Mario 3 rough drafted and it's designed to be a weak folllow-up to the previous two, so having Sonic's movie hit theaters and outshine would be a solid V for Sonic overall
Dreamworks seems to work better for the purpose of rivalry (though I would keep MGM or Paramount as distributor) as they absorbed Amblimation around this time. As for a 1996 release, this could work in Sega's favor as a Sonic movie could hype up the blue blur's Saturn debut in November/December '96. Would July 17, 1996 work? It's after Hunchback of Notre Dame, but the only competition it has is Kazaam and Multiplicity.

Well, I think that Sega could still build a stable of characters. Adding in Bonk and Bomberman could help with the Saturn.

One idea I was kicking around was that Sega could possibly bring Insomniac Games with Spyro on the Saturn.

Hm... maybe Mega Man as a possible franchise, but don't quote me on that either.
Speaking of Mega Man. Could his series more resemble the 1993 promo?