Map Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
UyowLEy.png

Map of Mantello (Italian Congo)

BbD5otN.png

Colonial flag of Mantello (Italian Congo)

Last edited:
@Peppe that is an awful lot of grand duchies. Surprised there aren’t more duchies, provinces, etc amongst them. Or margavaties, given the whole marcher lord responsibilities nobleman presumably would have when conquering the locals. Seeing from your other map which has Tuscany be a kingdom, should I take it duchies lost their special statuses a big quicker than they did IOTL? I see Lithuania is still a Grand Duchy, though I assume that is partially that it is simply the closest definition we have for the title, plus the centuries of prestige.
I admit that in relation to the American Empire there may be a bit too much of them, my reasoning for that is that those shown in the legend are the only ones and that in general states started with lower titles, and were raised over time, (outside of Maryland, that one was a grand duchy from the beggining due to it being founded by an British monarch, Henry XI & I, who was quite fond of one of his bastard children and granted him the territory as a Grand Duke). The lack of Margraves is commented on my infoboxes for the northern premier lords, which basically is that over time they were changed to duchies or the sort as either the marches moved westward or stopped being really useful, with Long Island being the last one (the idea of provinces and more weirdly-named states hadn't really been in my head, if I'm being sincere, but I imagine that there are some of those running around the empire and that some may call the states as provinces in maps and the sort)

About the loss of prestige for duchies and the sort, I hand't though about that beforehand, but now that I think about it, it makes sense (I made a list of nations in Europe, for example, some time ago, and it has only 8 duchies (of whom only 1 isn't in Italy) and 5 grand-duchies (Milan, Slovakia, Courland, the Vojvodina and Lorraine)), Tuscany became a kingdom due to some quite complicated reasons, but, basically, in the aftermath of this TL's 30 Year's War (a tad longer than its OTL counterpart), the imperial Kingdom of Italy became separated from the HRE (Protestant Hapsburgs, that's all I'm going to say), and the nominal rule over it and the HRE (at least for catholics) passed to the Spanish monarchy. The years go on and when the Spanish monarchy collapses (dividing once more the crowns of Castile and Aragon), the Grand Duke of Tuscany ends up acquiring the title (in part due to being married to a Spanish Hapsburg and in part due to Tuscany being the second most powerful state in the peninsula), which he retains until the late 19th and early 20th centuries when the French end the title after they started a conquering of northern Italy, after the Great War's end (around the 1920s I think), the Grand Duke of Tuscany then elevates Tuscany itself to the rank of kingdom to regain his kingship

About Lithuania, most certainly the title of Grand Duke holds a high prestige, too much to even consider making it a kingdom

(also, thanks for commenting, I really like when people comment on my work)

Gian

Banned
Great map. Nice concept. Lots of 'de la frontera' towns ITTL's Spain, if it forms.

Northstar
Fun fact, a lot of the towns and villages with the "de la Frontera" suffix came from the fact that they were on the Castillian-Granadan (and thus Christian-Muslim) border, and thus don't make any sense with the PoD.

We have a tendency to use current terms for historical regimes. In OTL that means we call the Brythons "Britons" and thus their realm was Britain. The actual people switched to calling themselves Cymry in the Middle Ages, but we now use the terms Wales and Welsh that comes from the Anglo-Saxons calling them "Walha" meaning Romanized strangers. Of course in OTL the Anglo-Saxons became the English and imposed their language on all of the British Isles.

But in TTL the Brythons stay united and end up dominating the Anglo-Saxons and the later Danes, imposing their Brythonic language on them. So the evolution of terms follows a different route, which had me adopting a name for their realm that is more directly related to Brython. I considere Brythonia or Brythonica, but settled on Brythia as more poetic. That name is now read back on their ca 500 realm in TTL just as 500 is read back even though in OTL and TTL the A.D. system wasn't adopted in Western Europe until much later.

1598557373930.png
This is mi special attempt to depict every place after which a chemical element is named, on a worlda map.
  • Europe (Europium)
  • Magnesia, Greece (Magnesium, Manganese)
  • Scandinavia (Scandium)
  • Ytterby, Sweden (Yttrium, Terbium, Erbium, Ytterbium)
  • Stockholm, Sweden (Holmium)
  • Copenhagen, Denmark (Hafnium)
  • Gaul (Gallium)
  • France (Francium)
  • Paris, France (Lutetium)
  • Strontian, Scotland (Strontium)
  • Ruthenia (Ruthenium)
  • the Rhine (Rhenium)
  • Poland (Polonium)
  • Germany (Germanium)
    • Hesse, Germany (Hassium)
      • Darmstadt, Hesse, Germany (Darmstadtium)
  • Moscow Oblast, Russia (Moscovium)
  • Dubna, Russia (Dubnium)
  • Flerovium
  • Cyprus (Copper)
  • Thule [not shown on the map as it is not a definitively real place] (Thulium)
  • America (Americium)
  • California (Californium)
  • Berkeley, California (Berkelium)
  • Livermore, California (Livermorium)
  • Tennessee (Tennessine)
  • Japan (Nihonium)
If anyone sees any errors, pls let me know.
Lottie

Last edited:
View attachment 578905This is mi special attempt to depict every place after which a chemical element is named, on a worlda map.
  • Europe (Europium)
  • Scandinavia (Scandium)
  • Gaul (Gallium)
  • France (Francium)
  • Ruthenia (Ruthenium)
  • the Rhine (Rhenium)
  • Poland (Polonium)
  • Flerovium
  • Cyprus (Copper)
  • America (Americium)
  • Tennessee (Tennessine)
  • Japan (Nihonium)
Lottie

I thought there was a Germanium as well.

We have a tendency to use current terms for historical regimes. In OTL that means we call the Brythons "Britons" and thus their realm was Britain. The actual people switched to calling themselves Cymry in the Middle Ages, but we now use the terms Wales and Welsh that comes from the Anglo-Saxons calling them "Walha" meaning Romanized strangers. Of course in OTL the Anglo-Saxons became the English and imposed their language on all of the British Isles.

But in TTL the Brythons stay united and end up dominating the Anglo-Saxons and the later Danes, imposing their Brythonic language on them. So the evolution of terms follows a different route, which had me adopting a name for their realm that is more directly related to Brython. I considere Brythonia or Brythonica, but settled on Brythia as more poetic. That name is now read back on their ca 500 realm in TTL just as 500 is read back even though in OTL and TTL the A.D. system wasn't adopted in Western Europe until much later.
It's more that it was the only toponym (placename) whereas all the others were ethnonyms (people/tribal names).
Since I already knew the etymologies of Wales, Cumbria, Cambria/Cymru, Britain, etc, I actually thought Brythia an interesting derivative.

It's more that it was the only toponym (placename) whereas all the others were ethnonyms (people/tribal names).
Since I already knew the etymologies of Wales, Cumbria, Cambria/Cymru, Britain, etc, I actually thought Brythia an interesting derivative.

The idea is that Brythia is an organized nation, the others are regions where those ethnicities live in various differing ways: small kingdoms, tribes, etc.

If I used this in a game that would be explained.

View attachment 578905This is mi special attempt to depict every place after which a chemical element is named, on a worlda map.
  • Europe (Europium)
  • Scandinavia (Scandium)
  • Gaul (Gallium)
  • France (Francium)
  • Ruthenia (Ruthenium)
  • the Rhine (Rhenium)
  • Poland (Polonium)
  • Germany (Germanium)
  • Flerovium
  • Cyprus (Copper)
  • America (Americium)
  • Tennessee (Tennessine)
  • Japan (Nihonium)
Lottie

If love it if Lithium and Lithuania came from the same root word.

The Americans didn’t want to stick around with Luzon Bay in the Philippines? Lot of money to be made in Asia and it is a good area to have influence.
The Phillipines decided to make their own path. Though they probably regret it, with how close China is.
Is this isolation part of why Liberia is mentioned as being unstable enough to join the WEAC?
A little bit. More economic disparity and internal corruption.
Should we assume that both there and the WEAC organization apparatus that English and French and the working languages?
Yes.
And things stable in Cape Verde?
By the present day, at least.

Fun fact, a lot of the towns and villages with the "de la Frontera" suffix came from the fact that they were on the Castillian-Granadan (and thus Christian-Muslim) border, and thus don't make any sense with the PoD.

Haha! I know! That's why I said it - I just figured a bigger/longer border means more towns on the border. ;) I didn't know your PoD though. :)

Northstar

Would that be the correct way to have the flag on the ship? Also, why did they call it Italian West Congo?

Aaaah you're right about the flag. Also, in hindsight "west congo" is kind of unnecessary. Mantello ("Cape") or just "Italian Congo" should be enough.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.