Map Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Map of the Near East and the Mesogeian Sea, circa 500 BCE
1598312408311.png

In the Near East, the Hittites and Egyptians have been able to remain regional powers. Part of this is because, while they often go to war with each other, whenever a third power gains too much influence with the Near East, the Hittites and Egyptians join forces against them. However, internally the two powers aren't as stable: Egypt in particular is facing more and more insurrection in its outer provinces, and there is growing friction between the priests, the regional governors, and the pharaoh.

To their east, the New Assyrian Empire has benefitted greatly from its early adoption of iron in warfare, almost 500 years ago, enabling them to capture large swathes of territory either. When their westward expansion was repulsed by an alliance between the Egyptians and Hittites, they focused on Mesopotamia instead. The Assyrians now control most of Mesopotamia, and hold the kingdom of Elam as a vassal, but their hold over the region has been shaky for over a century. The Medes, their neighbours to the north, have already sacked major Assyrian cities several times, and there is widespread fear among the Assyrian rulers that if there is another civil war, the Medes would once again take advantage.

Over in the Balkans, the Thracians - one of the few kingdoms in the Balkan mountains not under Achaean control, though their civilisation is still influenced by the Achaeans - have been involved in several conflicts between the Hittites and the Achaeans, switching sides depending on who was a greater threat to the Thracians themselves. The Thracians are more peacable than the Illyrian tribes to the west, but they are no strangers to warfare, and their armies have become feared in much of the Balkans.

The Achaean States are incorrectly named, since few of them would call themselves Achaean, and few are actually unified states. The most prominent is the Mycenaean Empire, which is genuinely a single, Achaean, state, which is the reason for the states' collective name, but Mycenae's two main rivals are the Kingdom of Iolcos (actually a collection of city-states with their own kings, but the king of Iolcos as the high king) and the League of Pylos (a confederation of city-states led by Pylos, but not yet under the control of Pylos). Mycenae and Iolcos both have colonies in the Aegean, Western Anatolia, and the Sea of Adur, as well as vassals in the Balkans. The League of Pylos, unable to keep a foothold in the Aegean, settled westwards instead, bringing them into conflict with New Knossos.

After Keftiu was laid low by a volcanic eruption followed by Achaean invasions, the Keftian population was gradually replaced and absorbed by Achaean settles - however, a small Keftian population does remain on the island. Centuries ago, Keftian sailors established the city of New Knossos on the North African coast, and from there they spread out and founded colonies all over the Western Mesogeian.

With influence from the Knossians and the Pylosians, tribes near Western Mesogeian coasts have formed their own cities and kingdoms. Some are vassals of Pylos or New Knossos, some are small kingdoms fighting among each other, like the Celts and the Sabines, but the most powerful of these kingdoms is the Kingdom of Rasenna: the early Rasna city-states coalesced into a single kingdom, which has since been gaining territory along the peninsula.​

Based on Uebletank Map

Nordic Empire.png

The Nordic Empire is one of the largest empires the world has ever seen. Once a bunch of raiding pirates from the Scandinavian shores. They now control half of the world and the population. The protector of prostatism. However, in recent times competition grows from the French and Iberians, salty over losing the Great War. They subscribe to radical ideologies. The Dutch are one of the Nordic's greatest allies. Once enemies and competitors, they became allies. In Asia, Japan is more democratic and free than it is in our world. Southern China is a colony for the Nordics (Despties several rebellions). Vinland also faces competition with their southern Newburgh, Helluland. of It is 1936 and tensions have arisen between the Alliance of Nations and the Pact of Iron.

Other facts for this world

The POD is still contested but there are 3 things: The Danish successfully conquer England, The Vinnish colony survives. Reconquista fails, Possibly because the Muslims won the battle of tours.

Al-Andalus would colonize the new world and Australia.
The Kalmar Union also never collapses and expanded.
The Nords would conquer Russia and Poland, forcing the cossack population to flee to Siberia.
Helluland became a thing after a war of independence thanks to the Nords banning slaves.
California became independent thanks to the support of the Nordics through a war of independence of Islamic Mexico
WW1 still happen. It's different but I'm not going to explain all of it. Just know that France and the CSA lost and became fascist.

Last edited:
So I got bored and played around with the CK2 Avatar Mod (Four Nations Restored). I decided to make a map covering some of the games I played. Basemap Credits are to Emperor of New Zealand and Mathuen. I made some edits and embellishments for the rest.

I'll be presenting it with more verisimilitude than the original Avatar.

Red represents the Great Liang (Chinese-influenced dynasty name, as Sozin's successors pretend to the entire Chinese-influenced Earth Kingdom), otherwise known as the Fire Empire. After achieving a political unification and industrial revolution, it began to strike at various Earthbender polities. Sozin (me) faced Avatar Roku twice, losing the first time, but winning later thanks to some skilled use of lightning. This was in Sozin's middle age, so well before Sozin's Comet arrived.

The Avatar cycle shifted to Air, and Sozin began the Air Nomad Purges. Rather than doing it in one fell swoop, it was a series of massacres, enslavements, and resettlements similar to the Dzungar Genocide in OTL. While 80+% of the Airbenders were killed, Aang survived and learned to wield all 4 elements. He also became a lot...angrier than in the show.

20 or so years later, Sozin (me) was in his mid-60s and had also learned Combustion-bending, while ravaging the Earth Kingdom. Aang led armies against me several times, but to no avail. He never faced me one-on-one, guess he was afraid of my lightning and combustion skills. While this was happening, my Fire Navy (stuck at about mid-1800s tech) butchered the Southern Water polities, turning them into tributaries for their growing empire.

Sozin died peacefully, and Azulon, Iroh, and Ozai finished the capture of Ba Sing Se. They declared themselves the new dynasty ruling the Earth Kingdom, although many nobles in the more remote areas did not recognize them. However, other Earthbending nobles decided to work with the new dispensation instead.

The Fire Empire is the greatest power that ever was, though all is not well, as succession crises, court intrigues, and restive vassals all loom large. As do the remaining Earth states (especially Omashu in the continent's southwest), though the greatest threats to the Fire Empire are definitely internal rather than external.

---

Meanwhile, the Kingdom of Kinguyak ("Northern Water Tribe") was what I played in my other game, starting as a petty chief and uniting the land through blood and bending. While far behind in technology and wealth compared to the Fire Empire (the former is basically at Iron Age levels, the latter is in innovation stasis at Second Industrial Revolution levels), it is remote and defensible enough to hold its own. Additionally, there are esoteric societies searching for forbidden knowledge, venturing into foreign libraries and the Spirit World in search for unexpected weapons to use against the Fire Nation...

Last edited:
So I got bored and played around with the CK2 Avatar Mod (Four Nations Restored). I decided to make a map covering some of the games I played. Basemap Credits are to Emperor of New Zealand and Mathuen. I made some edits and embellishments for the rest.

I'll be presenting it with more verisimilitude than the original Avatar.

View attachment 578130

Red represents the Great Liang (Chinese-influenced dynasty name, as Sozin's successors pretend to the entire Chinese-influenced Earth Kingdom), otherwise known as the Fire Empire. After achieving a political unification and industrial revolution, it began to strike at various Earthbender polities. Sozin (me) faced Avatar Roku twice, losing the first time, but winning later thanks to some skilled use of lightning. This was in Sozin's middle age, so well before Sozin's Comet arrived.

The Avatar cycle shifted to Air, and Sozin began the Air Nomad Purges. Rather than doing it in one fell swoop, it was a series of massacres, enslavements, and resettlements similar to the Dzungar Genocide in OTL. While 80+% of the Airbenders were killed, Aang survived and learned to wield all 4 elements. He also became a lot...angrier than in the show.

20 or so years later, Sozin (me) was in his mid-60s and had also learned Combustion-bending, while ravaging the Earth Kingdom. Aang led armies against me several times, but to no avail. He never faced me one-on-one, guess he was afraid of my lightning and combustion skills. While this was happening, my Fire Navy (stuck at about mid-1800s tech) butchered the Southern Water polities, turning them into tributaries for their growing empire.

Sozin died peacefully, and Azulon, Iroh, and Ozai finished the capture of Ba Sing Se. They declared themselves the new dynasty ruling the Earth Kingdom, although many nobles in the more remote areas did not recognize them. However, other Earthbending nobles decided to work with the new dispensation instead.

The Fire Empire is the greatest power that ever was, though all is not well, as succession crises, court intrigues, and restive vassals all loom large. As do the remaining Earth states (especially Omashu in the continent's southwest), though the greatest threats to the Fire Empire are definitely internal rather than external.

---

Meanwhile, the Kingdom of Kinguyak ("Northern Water Tribe") was what I played in my other game, starting as a petty chief and uniting the land through blood and bending. While far behind in technology and wealth compared to the Fire Empire (the former is basically at Iron Age levels, the latter is in innovation stasis at Second Industrial Revolution levels), it is remote and defensible enough to hold its own. Additionally, there are esoteric societies searching for forbidden knowledge, venturing into foreign libraries and the Spirit World in search for unexpected weapons to use against the Fire Nation...
That owl spirit isn't going to like you, unless you're Unalaq. :p

1598343542574.png

A map of religions in Europe in a different timeline where islam does not arise. Note that this is not the scenario of my timeline Dunes of the Desert, yet is somewhat inspired by it.
As one can see we have we have Catholicism domineering in the Western Mediterranean basin, reaching also to the Scottish Highlands and Lithuania. Orthodox Christendom is the prevailing religion in the Basileum of Rhomania, Serbia, Albania, Vlachia, Moldavia, Cossackia (capital: Kiev),Ciircassia Muscovy and Novgorod, as well as Crimea.
Various brands of Oriental Christendom are to be found in the Fertile Crescent- Coptic Egypt, Syriac Jacobites in Syria and Shammar, Armenian Apostolic Church prevalent in Cilicia, Armenia and Aghbania.
The earliest reformation movements are Paulicianism (found in Cilician Mountains, the Rhodopes , Kosovo and Bosnia), followed by Waldensians (Savoy). Hussites can be found in Bohemia, Lutherans in Northern Europe and Reformed Churches in parts in Hungary, Switzerland, Frisia and Scotland. The Wycleffite Church prevails in England, while Transylvania is home to Unitarians.

There are also quite a few Jewish homelands- the Republic of Brisk, a homeland for Ashkenazi Jews bordering Poland and Lithuania; Autonomous Odessa (part of Cossackia). Moreover, there are significant Jewish communities in Dagestan, a sa legacy of former Khazar settlement.

de3x2b0-8bc107a3-ccff-478d-94b0-89fda387257a.png

A map showing the Emirate of Asir in 1988, part of a scenario in which the consolidation of Saudi Arabia fails in its early stages.

Ibn Saud's Defeat

The fall of the Ottoman Empire in the aftermath of the First World War gave rise to a new Arabia, largely dominated not from Constantinople, but from London and Paris. The British-backed Hashemites had succeeded in expanding their domain in the wake of the Arab Revolt, with kings from the dynasty ruling over Hejaz, Transjordan and Iraq. Similarly, to the east of the Hashemites, the Wahhabist House of Saud under Emir Ibn Saud, had gained from aiding the British war effort against the Ottomans. The Saudis, based in the Emirate of Nejd, now had a formidable military force backed by their Ikhwan tribal troops, and came into direct competition, primarily on religious grounds, with Sharif Hussein of Hejaz.

Ibn Saud had signed the Treaty of Darin in 1915, placing his state under British protection, and yet he retained territorial ambitions in areas nominally under British control. In particular, it had long been a desire of the Emir to annex the Sheikhdom of Kuwait, a desire which came to fruition with the outbreak of the Kuwait-Nejd war in 1919. The conflict mostly consisted of Ikhwan forces carrying out damaging border raids into Kuwaiti territory, creating issues the British appeared willing to solve diplomatically given their alliance with Ibn Saud. The situation shifted in late 1919, however, when a large Ikhwan army succeeded in capturing Al Asimah, the capital governorate of the Sheikhdom. Amidst the chaos that ensued in the town of Kuwait, the British political agent and five British soldiers were killed at the hands of the Ikhwan, attracting ire from London.

Though the group of Ikhwan which had performed this raid had acted outside of orders from Ibn Saud, rather than forcing them to back down, the Emir took the capture as an opportunity to negotiate Kuwait’s annexation. Attempts at diplomacy from Riyadh were only met with fury from London, with the Foreign Office demanding Nejd’s withdrawal, or Britain would dismantle the Treaty of Darin. When no response was received from Ibn Saud, Britain began readying a force to recapture Kuwait from the Ikhwan invaders. The region was to remain under the control Ibn Saud’s troops for months to come as a diplomatic stalemate developed.

In Hejaz, bleak news emerged from Mecca in October 1919, Sharif Hussein had succumbed to the destructive Spanish Flu and had passed away. He was succeeded by his eldest son, Ali bin Hussein, as the King of Hejaz and Sharif of Mecca. In London however, many viewed this turn of events as somewhat relieving. Ali’s father had previously been vehemently opposed to signing the Treaty of Versailles on account of included clauses of providing for a Jewish National home, among other clauses that he viewed as contradictory to the McMahon-Hussein correspondence. Ali, on the other hand, seemed reluctantly willing to accept the treaty, knowing the strain his father’s refusal had been causing in Anglo-Hashemite relations and the promise of increased payments and military assistance in the event of signing the Treaty.

Ali’s decision certainly proved to be fruitful for Hejaz, when Ibn Saud, entering a full year since the tense stalemate had begun in Kuwait, finally decided to move on the long-disputed Al Khurma oasis on the border with Hejaz. However, when a camel charge by the Ikhwan came up against recently resupplied forces of the Hashemite dynasty with new machine gun emplacements, what has been described as a slaughter ensued. After the disastrous charge on the first day of the battle for Al Khurma, the forces of Nejd had already been greatly weakened, and within just another day they were set to rout. Ali had been victorious, and Ibn Saud humiliated.

With the costly defeat at Al Khurma, and just two weeks later a bloody battle in Kuwait between British-aligned tribal levies and the Ikhwan that ultimately forced Nejd out of the region, the situation was dire for Riyadh. Nejd’s woes were further compacted with the assassination of Ibn Saud at the hands of disgruntled Ikhwan troops, who had viewed the two humiliations as a failure to materialise key Wahhabi goals. Turki bin Abdulaziz, Ibn Saud’s eldest son, ascended to the throne and quickly aimed to make peace with both the Hashemites and the British so as to attempt to crush what had escalated into a full-scale Ikhwan rebellion against the House of Saud. The 1920 Second Treaty of Darin forbade the expansion of Nejd passed its now defined boundaries, and forced the new Emir to respect both the claims and protectorates of the United Kingdom and Hejaz.

The Emirate of Asir

The Emirate of Asir, a little-known state on the southwest corner of the Arabian Peninsula, has prospered from the failure of Nejd’s attempts at expansion, as it had been directly in Riyadh’s crosshairs for years. Now with its independence from the House of Saud secured, a new threat became apparent, Imam Yahya of Yemen to the south. The Imam, and other Yemeni rulers before him, had claimed parts of Asir for decades, and now sought to materialise such claims. Yahya’s bellicose aims had been troubling for the British, as there existed rumours that he would also strive to bring the historical region of greater Yemen under his domain, including Aden and other parts of South Yemen which for years had been under British influence. The Imam’s army marched into the strategic port of Hudaydah in March 1923, swiftly capturing it from the small Asir garrison.

Britain feared that unchecked Yemeni expansion would seriously threaten their holdings in Southern Arabia in future, and an agreement formed between London and Muhammad ibn Ali al-Idrisi to supply and assist his forces in defence. These efforts succeeded in slowing the Yemeni advance and bringing the conflict to a stalemate. Within two months, and under pressure from Britain, Imam Yahya signed an agreement that awarded him both recognition from London and the port of Hudaydah, but which also defined the Asir border to the north, depriving Yemen of access to more of the coast and the significant inland town of Najran.

Based on Uebletank Map

View attachment 578110

The Nordic Empire is one of the largest empires the world has ever seen. Once a bunch of raiding pirates from the Scandinavian shores. They now control half of the world and the population. The protector of prostatism. However, in recent times competition grows from the French and Iberians, salty over losing the Great War. They subscribe to radical ideologies. The Dutch are one of the Nordic's greatest allies. Once enemies and competitors, they became allies. In Asia, Japan is more democratic and free than it is in our world. Southern China is a colony for the Nordics (Despties several rebellions). Vinland also faces competition with their southern Newburgh, Helluland. of It is 1936 and tensions have arisen between the Alliance of Nations and the Pact of Iron.

Other facts for this world

The POD is still contested but there are 3 things: The Danish successfully conquer England, The Vinnish colony survives. Reconquista fails, Possibly because the Muslims won the battle of tours.

Al-Andalus would colonize the new world and Australia.
The Kalmar Union also never collapses and expanded.
The Nords would conquer Russia and Poland, forcing the cossack population to flee to Siberia.
Helluland became a thing after a war of independence thanks to the Nords banning slaves.
California became independent thanks to the support of the Nordics through a war of independence of Islamic Mexico
WW1 still happen. It's different but I'm not going to explain all of it. Just know that France and the CSA lost and became fascist.
Wow you did that one quickly! It's pretty cool.

tehskyman

Banned
California, New Mexico, southern Texas, southern Louisiana, Puerto Rico and the northeast I get, but I didn't realize there were that many Catholics in the Dakotas. Was it because of Catholic Germans?
Idk about the trends, I wanted to use the original, but it was so ugly so I made the color scheme acceptable.

At long last, the map of the world of the AHFA 2020 World Cup is done. The history is something of a mess, since the nations were contributed by individuals and there was no need for them to fit together. Even if butterflies were massacred, hopefully this is interesting. I am indebted to @Uebeltank for help with much of South America and Africa as well as @Gian In addition @Aztekk made the logo for the tournament which I have included here.

AHFA World Cup

In June 2020, the eyes of the world were on Mexico. Teams from 40 different countries, from every inhabited continent on the planet descended on the Mexican Empire and prepared to play football for the glory of their country.
  • This world is quite similar to our own. Europe came to dominate the globe in the 19th century and after major wars in the 20th century, liberal democracy has come to be accepted as the global standard. Though there are conflicts and disputes, the age of inter-state war seems to have come to an end and the major threats of the modern world include terrorism and criminal activity.
  • The Europe of 2020 is a jumble of nation-states and lacks any single pan-continental governing body. Europe’s strongest power is the French National Union which encompasses both France and Italy and is the republican successor to Napoleon’s Empire.
  • Germany is a disunited mess, having been forcibly dismantled in the aftermath of the Kaiserreich’s attempts at expansion in the late 1940s. A communist north was created by the Soviet Union, while the south was made into several conservative kingdoms and republics. The Rhineland had the ignominious fate of becoming a military-less buffer state of the French, and saw Esperanto introduced to its populace down the barrel of a gun. Though the German successor states were hostile towards each other for decades, the collapse of the Soviet Union’s power in the 1990s led to attempts at reconciliation between the Peoples Republic and the other states. Though still separate, the German states combine their football teams into the single United Neutral Team to participate in international tournaments.
  • Britain is a shade of its former self. Though once the center of a mighty empire, the rise of the Co-Operative Fascist Party in the 1930s and their fall two decades later has broken the country at home and abroad. The anti-fascist monarchy waited in exile in Boston during that time, and when it returned, the fascists fled to Sri Lanka. The War of British Liberation, much to the ire of the monarchy, saw the Irish expand into Scotland, while the Welsh moved their borders to the east. Britain remains relevant to the world at large these days only through the Commonwealth of Nations.
  • Iberia remains divided as it has been for centuries. Though attempts to unite the Christian kingdoms of the peninsula occurred, they never panned out. Leon-Castille at one time had major colonies around the world (including Mexico, Colombia, Peru-Bolivia, and the Philippines) but it has since retreated back within its own European borders. Portugal is the only one of the Iberian states to retain colonial territory, and has control of the port of Luanda in Africa and Goa in Asia. Interestingly, the Muslims that were thrown from Spain centuries half a millennium earlier made a return in the major wars of the last century when the Morocco-based United Maghribi Emirates annexed the southern kingdom of Andalusia.
  • European Russia is all that remains of the once-mighty Soviet Union. From the ashes of the Russian Empire came the USSR, yet it was not the only successor to the Tsar’s domains. Novorossiya as well as several Caucasian states all retained their independence. The USSR lasted with control over Finland, Estonia, Latvia, and Russia proper, and was even a force to be reckoned with, until the late 1990s when years of economic mismanagement caught up with the regime and the Siberian provinces seceded. The non-ethnically Russian western Republics left soon after, leaving the Soviet Union as Russia west of the Urals. Within several years, communist economic doctrine had been discarded, and the Soviet Union emerged as a rabidly capitalistic state that proclaimed to be communist. It is, however, largely irrelevant on the global scene.
  • North America, like Europe, has no single hegemon, but has a single much larger nation: Canada. Though it does not have a massive population, Canadian shipyards on the Pacific Coast and industry in the Great Lakes were important in building the prosperous, modern Canada. The United States broke apart in the aftermath of the civil war as the Midatlantic and Midwestern states were unable to muster the troops necessary to defeat the Confederate rebels. After the Confederacy secured its independence, popular anger at Lincoln kickstarted the second phase of the Civil War. A cabal of generals deposed the President and installed William Tecumseh Sherman as Consul for Life of the Republican Empire. Lincoln fled to the Plains states, where he led a rump US. Meanwhile, the Midwestern states and California seceded and formed their own independent republics. In 2020, the American successors are a mixed bag. While the USA, Great Lakes, and California are fully democratic and California is a multiparty state, the Republican Empire and Confederacy remain flawed states with the latter still fraught by racial tensions.
  • South America is a mixture of former colonies of several different European states. The bulk of the continent is made up of former Leonese colonies. On the eastern coast is Nova Holanda, a state that grew out of the Dutch West Indian Company. Further south is Antarctique, which served as a refuge for French Protestants fleeing the Catholic Ancien Régime. Finally, there is Patagonia, a former Danish colony. These states are a mixture of different types of governments and vary in their racial composition though all are generally a mixture of native, African, and European influences.
  • Africa is a largely post-colonial continent. Though a number of native civilizations have flourished there, it fell under European hegemony during the 19th century. Christian Africa consists of everything south of the Sahel and Ethiopia. These states are where the European presence was the strongest. Among notable states in this region are Freedonia, a former American colony that has come to house a sizable percentage of the descendants of Confederate slaves as well as New Catalonia, which is an ethno-linguistic hodgepodge. East Africa is a successful attempt at regional unity, and has gone strong for decades since its founding. Rhodesia is the last vestige of the days of European colonialism, remaining under white minority rule. The Rhodesian state is involved in constant campaigns to root out native freedom fighters, and most of their World Cup team is composed of draftees given a leave to represent the green and white. The northern part of Africa is divided between the Muslim west and Orthodox Christian east. Khemia, though under Muslim rule for a number of centuries, saw a Christian government reestablished centuries ago, and has become a minor regional power, with its religious influence stretching down the Nile. The Muslim part of North Africa extends down to the headlands of the Niger River. One of the world’s strangest states: Free Peoples' Republic of Madagascar, is in Africa. In the early 1700s, European pirates were rousted from their West Indian bases. Led by Anne Bonney, these pirates established bases on Madagascar around the Cape of Good Hope, and established a state that has lasted to this day. Though at one time most of the country’s income came from piracy, it has changed into a mercantile state and laws against piracy are strictly enforced. The country’s population is very mixed racially, and the national language, Madagascarish, is a creole of nearly every major language of Europe and Africa.
  • The Muslim heartland in the Middle East is a small one, and is bounded in the north and west by Orthodox Christianity and in the east by Zoroastrianism. This boxed-in region has no natural leaders, and is divided between the Shia-run Levantine Arab Republic, the Saudi-dominated United Arab Crowns, the Sharifate, the South Arabian statelets, and the Turks. For a variety of historic ethnic and sectarian reasons, these states are constantly at each others throats and largely unable to work together. The issue of control over the city of Jerusalem is a tricky one that has lead to a number of arguments between Muslims and Christians. The current ownership of the holy city by the Jewish Autonomous Region of Khemia is suitable to neither of the slides, which, paradoxically, makes it more suitable.
  • Iran is the center of the Zoroastrian world, with that faith having percolated across the Hindu Kush and into the Central Asian steppe. It largely provided a bulwark against large-scale expansion of Islam to the east, so is detested by the Levantines, against who the Iranians have fought numerous wars against down the centuries. The most fervent Zoroastrians are the Azeris, who deposed their monarchy and established a state ruled by clerics half a century ago. Zoroastrain priests can be found in the African interior, where they aim to convert locals to their faith.
  • Central Asia is the crossroads of Eurasia, and the centuries have left it as a jumble of dozens of languages and religions. Turkestan, a federal republic with a Christian majority, but significant Muslim, Zoroastrian, and Manichean minorities, is the result. While a large country, it is rather poor and has its troubles with corruption. In the run-up to the World Cup, this corruption was shown to the global public when a number of prominent Turkestani statesmen were exposed as attempting to bribe AHFA officials.
  • Though united under the Raj during the days of empire, the Indian subcontinent has become fractured. India simmered under the Raj, and that turned to outright revolt in far-flung districts during the days of the Co-Operative Republic. By the 1950s, when the monarchy returned to London, India was written off as lost, and Britain simply recognized the rebels as well as the Afghans that had occupied border regions for “peace keeping”. The Indus, Carnatic Federation, and Assam all remain British allies, though Hindustan is under an Anglophobic, ultranationalist government. Interestingly, the Co-Operative Republic remains in existence but with control over only Sri Lanka, the Andamans, Nicobars, Laccadives, and Maldives. Though it has liberalized and allows elections, it is fairly conservative socially and quite racist. As such, one will find its national football team comprised of whites (an outsized proportion, even though whites are the majority there) with only a few natives. Its existence is embarrassing to Britain proper, and there are constantly rumors that the Commonwealth or Hindustan are plotting a coup to depose the government and install a less racist government.
  • The age-old civilization of China is divided in two these days. In the north is the Workers and Peasants Republic while the south is the Republic of China. The Republic is older, having been established after the end of the last Mongol dynasty in 1912. The Republic was unstable for decades and after years of predatory landlords, a communist movement arose that managed with Soviet support to stand up to the central government. In the end, it was not powerful enough to defeat the Republic, and by the late 1940s a treaty was signed dividing China in two. Both Chinas had frosty relations for decades, and with their possession of nuclear weapons, had some border incidents that nearly led to world destruction. Now, while they still mistrust each other, relations are thawing and there is a hope that the Chinas will reunite.
  • The Empire of Japan remains around even if it was bloodied by the Pacific War three-quarters of a century ago. Though its military was cut down after the war in a Treaty intended to last permanently, Japanese nationalism is on the rise once again, much to the terror of the Castilian-speaking Philippines to the south.
  • The monarchy of Australia is a direct result of the Co-Operativists in Britain in the 1930s. After the abolition of the monarchy after several years of parliamentary rule, the Windsors including George VI fled to Boston. His younger brother Henry, however, went to Australia where he attempted to rally that dominion for the royalists. In the dark days of the early 1940s, opinion was not in favor of the monarchy but rather Henry himself. Making a deal with his brother, Henry had himself crowned King of Australia, a position his descendants hold to this day. Though friendly with the Windsor regime in London, the Australians have declined to become part of the Commonwealth and have developed their own unique system of government. Though it has not fought a war in decades, the Australians wish that the French islands of New Gascony and New Burgundy to their east were theirs.

ahfamap.png

I always wanted to try a map, although I'm not very good at art. Don't really have a TL fleshed out here, just a world where U.S. expansionism went in a slightly different direction.
USNA.jpg

The United States of North America (Philadelphia)

1. Acadia (Fredericton)
  2. Alabama (Montgomery)
  3. Alaska (Anchorage)
  4. Arizona (Phoenix)
  5. Chihuahua (Chihuahua City)
  6. Coahuila (Saltillo)
  7. Colorado (Denver)
  8. Connecticut (Hartford)
  9. Dakota (Bismarck)
  10. Delaware (Dover)
  11. Florida (Saint Augustine)
  12. Georgia (Atlanta)
  13. Idaho (Boise)
  14. Illinois (Springfield)
  15. Indiana (Indianapolis)
  16. Iowa (Des Moines)
  17. Kanawha (Charleston)
  18. Kansas (Topeka)
  19. Kentucky (Frankfort)
  20. Lower California (San Diego)
  21. Maine (Augusta)
  22. Maryland (Annapolis)
  23. Massachusetts (Boston)
  24. Michigan (Lansing)
  25. Minnesota (Saint Paul)
  26. Mississippi (Jackson)
  27. Montana (Helena)
  28. Nebraska (Omaha)
  29. Nevada (Carson City)
  30. New Hampshire (Concord)
  31. New Jersey (Trenton)
  32. New Leon (Monterrey)
  33. New Mexico (Santa Fe)
  34. New York (Albany)
  35. North Carolina (Raleigh)
  36. North Columbia (Falmouth)
  37. Northern Louisiana (Jefferson City)
  38. Nova Scotia (Halifax)
  39. Ohio (Columbus)
  40. Ontario (Hamilton)
  41. Pennsylvania (Harrisburg)
  42. Rhode Island (Providence)
  43. Sonora (Hermosillo)
  44. South Carolina (Columbia)
  45. South Columbia (Salem)
  46. Southern Louisiana (New Orleans)
  47. Tamaulipas (Victoria City)
  48. Tennessee (Nashville)
  49. Texas (Austin)
  50. Upper California (Sacramento)
  51. Utah (Salt Lake City)
  52. Vermont (Montpelier)
  53. Virginia (Richmond)
  54. Washington (Olympia)
  55. Western Louisiana (Tulsa)
  56. Wisconsin (Madison)
  57. Wyoming (Cheyenne)
  58. Yukon (Whitehorse)

The German War.png

Germany does worse in the early days of World War 2, with a more disastrous invasion of Poland and then getting stalemated in France. The Nazis are overthrown sometime later, once Allied troops enter Germany proper. Japan decides to try and take advantage of the war, invading Indochina before begging bogged down. They draw the U.S into the war in desperation and are finally knocked out once the Soviets join in.

So I finally, finally finished remaking my old custom alt-history map in Hearts of Iron 4 using the Historic Geographical Overhaul mod to repaint the world borders as I envisioned, thus I present to you the political province map of the final product!

BEHOLD!

m8XpfFD.png

Ignore how the blob in Western Africa conflates Morocco, Mauritania, and Senegambia into one country, as for some reason they all share the same color in the province map view. Also ignore the "HGO" Watermark in the Indian Ocean, I forgot to transfer it back to the WTR (Water) tag.

I also took a bunch of proper screenshots of each country grouped by general region, so stay tuned for those as well (or if you want to see them now, just ask)!

The splitting up of the world into three great superstates was an event that which could be and indeed was foreseen before the middle of the twentieth century. With the absorption of Europe by Russia, and of the British Empire by the United States, two of the three existing superpowers, Eurasia and Oceania, were already effectively in being. The third, Eastasia, only emerged as a distinct unit after another decade of confused fighting... In one combination or another, these three super-states are permanently at war, and have been so for the past twenty-five years. - The Theory and Practice of Oligarchical Collectivism, by Emmanuel Goldstein

There are events that pretty much become The Event for each generation. And, for each Event, there was a question. Always the same question. Where were you? ...But, on December 21st 2012, one thing happened, that it became The Event. Just that. Because, from that day onward, everyone knew what you spoke about when you mentioned The Event.

"Where were you when the world disappeared?"

E2B05A3D-35D0-4C13-9E8B-DB603E62E90B.jpeg

A map of the world of America’s Stepbrother, America’s Enemy in the immediate aftermath of ‘The Event’ - a happening of unknown cause which brought the United States as it was on December 21st 2012, into the war-torn world of 1984. Story can be found here: https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...tepbrother-americas-enemy-version-2-0.284483/

Status
Not open for further replies.