Map Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I imagine it is, as there's no full colour key. The guy said it was a propaganda poster.
In which case it would probably be wise to show the Americans or Soviets having done something worth invading. As it is the propoganda implies that the British Isles along are sending out people to invade a lot of areas, without even using the Dominions. Not that hat the Dominions part matters so much as not actually having any propaganda. In OTL WWII I would have to save that almost every single war or invasion was excused by claiming to be fighting invaders or that someone was massacring your coethnics. Can't see any reason here. I guess the Propoganda aspect might be them not showing the Irish returning fire, or them and republicans around the world sabotaging docks. Rather hard to but on a world map, after all.

A map of a terraformed Trappist-1
TerraformedTrappist1.png

I don't have a full idea with it.

As for the planets

Planet B: The planet have no atmosphere and are a schorched wasteland on the day side, while the night side are dominated by vast glacier. There's human settlements on the night side on the border of the glaciers. Interesting one of the more populated worlds in the system.

Planet C: the planet are pretty much a hotter version of Venus, terrafoeming was given up, and the human presense are sky cities, who harvest the rich atmosphere.

Planet D: This planet are in theory to close to Trappist-1 to stay habitable, and was original somewhat venus like. But the human colonist succeed in terraforming it into ocean world. the human colonists dwell on floating cities. The biosphere are in general poor, thanks to the deep oceans. But aquaculture produce massive amount of food and even enrich the wild biosphere.

Planet E: the day side are home to a massive desert, while the the night side are home to massive glaciers. A small and rich (feed by the glaciers) ring ocean lies in the twilight zone and the vast majority of the population lives on the coastline of this ocean.

Planet F: Quite similar to Planet D, but the lifeless desert are far smaller, and the habitable zone reach farther into the day side. While the glaciers reach further into the twilight zone.

Planet G: An eye ball earth, dominated by a vast ocean, but it's more shallow than planet D. the planet have a very rich biosphere and the colonist dwell on floating cities.

Planet H: This planet shouldn't be habitable, but are kept habitable thanks to a dense atmosphere. Few people live on the planet.

Edit: a special thanks to @Selvetrica to have inspired the map.

In which case it would probably be wise to show the Americans or Soviets having done something worth invading. As it is the propoganda implies that the British Isles along are sending out people to invade a lot of areas, without even using the Dominions. Not that hat the Dominions part matters so much as not actually having any propaganda. In OTL WWII I would have to save that almost every single war or invasion was excused by claiming to be fighting invaders or that someone was massacring your coethnics. Can't see any reason here. I guess the Propoganda aspect might be them not showing the Irish returning fire, or them and republicans around the world sabotaging docks. Rather hard to but on a world map, after all.

Well the map does appear to portray a US occupation of (most of) Canada.

My TL circa 1910, in Worlda scale
A Brave New World.png

I my keep this TL's ideological communist state... which is a north German nation that follows an ideology more closely related to syndicalism. That is their flag. The German nation to the south is the German Federal Republic, the republican successor to this TL's HRE.

My world but with the THICC color scheme. I really like how the oceans turned out.View attachment 452306
One of the best maps I have seen by far. You have just inspired me to do it to some of my own maps.

Anyways, my ISOT-VE map is showing the spread of the San Andreas Empire. For those of you who have played GTA 5, this ISOT occurs when Michael goes after Trevor to North Yankton, and the island state of San Andreas suddenly disappears. While this doesn't directly cause nuclear war a year after this happens, WW3 doesn't happen in the timeline where the ISOT doesn't take place. From the Andreasans' perspective, they are in for a very interesting world. This map takes place 10 years after The Shift and before the Great San Andreas Civil War begins.

March 5, 2012

I don't know what happened, one moment we were doing fine, then the next, the entire outside world came silent. The first I saw of this happening was when my Bleeter app said it was offline. I thought that the server was probably having some maintenance, but it wasn't until three minutes later when I heard that someone couldn't be able to call their friend after their phone conversation abruptly ended. Then I heard that a planes and boats had disappeared as well just a couple miles off the coast. This weird shit must have some sort of explanation to it.

March 10, 2012

Oh my god... oh my god... Everything is gone. I just watched on the news that a voyage from locals to see what's going on the mainland, had came back saying there is nothing. Los Angeles and San Francisco are not where they're supposed to be. Apparently, there is no sign of human life anywhere. A plane also went out to survey the land, and there are no cities, no roads, no humans to be found. I'm shaking so hard because I can't barely write anymore.

September 23, 2012

Lost track of the calendar for a while, but I recovered. Life in this new world has become very hard. Everyone had gone mad from the realization and this crazy island has gotten batshit insane. We still go by "normal" rules and laws, even though the country that has those laws is now gone. Most people lost their homes as they lost their bank accounts. I got "kicked out" of my apartment but thankfully, my landlord isn't an asshole. Since then, I've been feeling bad for people and let them live in with me, so we've been living together since early July. Everything quickly became 1950s as we don't have satellites now. Cellphones are fuck all, so best to scrap them for electronic parts. While computers are still good to keep, the internet is entirely gone. We will need to start from square one for telecommunications obviously. Most of the radio stations shut down except West Coast Talk Radio, Rebel Radio, and Blaine County Radio. I tell you, I'm getting tired of listening to Charlie Feathers for the hundred millionth time. However, worst of all, our food reserves are starting to get low. Los Santos is about to become a battle royale where more than 15,000 people are going to be fighting for food, so the group I got agreed with me to move out and find some isolated spot in San Andreas before the military stops us.

Not only does the news of the so-called "shift" freak everybody out, it has also inspired some mountain hillbillies to come and tell us that this is God's judgment on the Millennials' immorality, and then everyone started thinking the Rapture happened and we are the damned left to rot. I can barely sleep when I'm hearing people scream up to the sky to forgive them.

So my group is made up of four people, not counting me. Rachel and Aamir are a married couple who are expecting a baby, a male high school student named Robert who went on a field trip to Vinewood but got separated from his group, and his family was living in Nevada, so he lost everyone he knew during the Shift, and a hot college girl whose landlord was not as generous as mine named Jean. All of us got really close really quickly, as we had been only trusting each other instead of others. Robert was the last member of the group to come in my apartment, and I had not let anyone else in since, especially some very, very shady guys, some from gangs.

This whole thing was something seen as an opportunity for many gang members. A lot of Mexican gangsters had been taking over the streets after the LSPD, IAA, NOOSE, and FIB had been disbanded and absorbed into the Fort Zancudo Joint Task Force to be regrouped and assembled for enacting martial law. While their monopoly on the streets may be brief, it is gonna be a living hell. At least they are gonna be distracted by the motorcycle gangs and the black gangs. However, a lot of people had been making deals with these gangs to be protected from the other gangs, so a lot of Los Santos, including my neighborhood over here in Del Perro, is getting taken over by these gangs while the police stations and the FIB/IAA buildings stand abandoned. On a walk towards the police station next to Del Perro city hall and the Los Santos Customs, I've noticed a mob throwing molotovs at the LSPD signs and trying to break through locked doors. This city is becoming far worse than it already had from the recession back in '08.

September 26, 2012

We have managed to leave the city, avoiding gang patrols, the night just before the Joint Task Force arrived to take control. When we got to Vinewood Hills, we already started hearing gunfire and loud, thunderous booms of artillery. We spent the rest of the morning walking to Harmony, just a bit southwest of Sandy Shores. Fortunately, there are no gangs.

Now, why we decided to leave Los Santos before the JTF came was to avoid the inevitable conflict of martial law against the gangs. We have to find someplace safe for our group, our family, especially with Rachel pregnant. I've been talking to Jean a lot, as we seem to have a good connection. Besides her sharp and enchanting eyes, she is very kind and understanding of my issues. We began talking about our lives before the Shift and we had a good time. Talking to Robert was pretty cool too, while Aamir is distant and would only open up to Rachel. She pretty much mediates between the rest of us and Aamir, so it's a little awkward. However, we have determined that we will stay together for a long time and be a family, as we had lost everyone we knew from the outside world.

In the morning, we will be moving again. Rachel said she looked at a map that had some roads lead to a lighthouse on the east side of the island, so we will check it out if there is a house.
worlda.png

Last edited:
Quick edit of a bathymetric map I found on google images, showing how a drained Mediterranean sea might look like (lower than the Atlantropa proposals; this is probably similar to what it would have looked like before the Zanclean flood)

medmap5.png

Last edited:
Whats going on over there in Spain? Also, I think the nationalist bickering between Italy and Rhomania over who can claim the mantle of Rome in this timeline would be quite funny :coldsweat:
Well since one is Rome and the other is Milan (or Naples) it would be obvy (since there are no European emperors anymore, the Romans are the last ones, as the Germans, who abandoned the Roman title when the pope was put under heel in the 16th cent., overthrew their emperor in the 19th cent.)... but since now those Milanese (or Neapolitan) troops are occupying Crete and the straits... should be fun. The current Roman Emperor is Dimitrios Rallis (OTL Rallis) and has selected the dutiful and liberal Eleftherios Venizelos (catapulted to the scene in a German 1918 style revolution) as his highest officer. They will make quite a pair the following decade.

Italy is very much into the Etruscans and the Lombards in response to the contiuned existence of the Roman civis. Europeans have more of an interest in non-roman pagan cultures these past centuries as a counterpoint to the smug Greco-Roman attitudes of the Romoi. The Kingdom of Italy, either united by a Wittelsbach Milan or a Angevin Naples (or reverse), is Catholic, loves the Pope (the city of Roma has a status like OTL London, the monarch of Italy is not the monarch of that city and goes as a common man to the pope (who owns no land anymore)), amd has its capital in (either Milan or Naples, I can't decide....) The Italians hate the Germans (Republican, secular, and nationalist( also hate the French)) and the French (Plantagenet kingdom of France hon hon hon).

No one wants to claim the mantle of Rome as the Romans are arrogant, snobbish, and decadent. This TL's Renaissance (or something like that) happened because people finally realised they weren't those Romans anymore, and a plus a nice back and forth with the rather liberal (read secular) Greek intelligenista and the Europeans.

Last edited:
Whats going on over there in Spain? Also, I think the nationalist bickering between Italy and Rhomania over who can claim the mantle of Rome in this timeline would be quite funny :coldsweat:
The Spain part is me being indecisive about the borders. I wanted an alt union, and then an alt revolution (thus how Aragon received Murcia).

So I mostly played GTA 5 multiplayer and never the story mode so could you explain a bit more of whats going on in this post?
Whats up with the extra islands on the world?
You say this is 10 years post, what kind of expansion is going on that fast?
I am just a bit confused with what is going on.

So I mostly played GTA 5 multiplayer and never the story mode so could you explain a bit more of whats going on in this post?
Whats up with the extra islands on the world?
You say this is 10 years post, what kind of expansion is going on that fast?
I am just a bit confused with what is going on.
I would say just be observant of the environment. Find some maps of the island that have labels for neighborhoods. When you're driving around, look down to the bottom right corner. However, I will show you the places I was talking about.

As for the story, Michael and Trevor are two out of the three playable protagonists. Trevor kept talking about a guy in their crew they knew from 2008 who "got in prison" after most of them got caught by the FIB during a bank heist. Michael got shot but got into witness protection, the guy they knew named Brad died, and Trevor got away. Michael moved to Los Santos for his new residency under WP and Trevor got to Sandy Shores for his... I don't know. He's just Trevor.

GTA_5_HQ_map - Copy.png

Del Perro in Los Santos, Harmony SE of Sandy Shores, the lighthouse over on the east coast, and Fort Zancudo.

The extra landmasses in the world are for a YouTube universe I'm setting up. This would technically be an ISOT within my universe.

Well, it's ASB, but along the lines of the residents of the island having cars and planes, they made their way around relatively faster than pioneers on the Oregon Trail.

It has Switzerland in a bloc. Unless all of Europe is neutral or something?
Yeah the lighter grey countries are neutral, so at the time of the map all europe, south america, and china are neutral.

And with regard to boarders its very similar to OTL, with changes only minor and in the inter war period, though to be hosnest I dont know what you mean when you talk about the "protectorates of Morocco and Tunisia"

Map shows only uk british activities, but does show enemy occupation, canada nicaragua ect. propaganda message is that 'we are fighting back and making a huge effort' not so much about the justification of the war.

Last edited:
March 23rd, 2008

Over a decade ago, almost fifteen years now, the United States invaded Fezzan, under false pretenses. We now know Saudi and Libian intelligence were falsified to invoke a military response from the United States, and our forces became committed to preventing another Rhodesia from happening. In our attempt to build a nation, insurgents re-emerged, encouraged by US presence, funded not only by Soviet allies in Egypt and Algeria, but by US allies like Pakistan and Saudi Arabia. We lost 6,000 US soldiers, and in 2003 when it became clear the situation was untenable, 1.131 million people, almost 30% of Libia's population had to flee for their lives as US troops withdrew from the region. The Libian Boat Crisis was a humanitarian disaster and a stain on the legacy of not just the United States, but Europeans too. It was the War that ended War by the American power. No longer can we stomach being the world police, that never should've been our place. We got involved in a geopolitical conflict we did not have a right to mess with. Libia was said to be the last holdout of fascism on Earth, where Mussolini's vision outlasted Hitler, Franco, Salazar, and even the Perons. Had we been a little smarter, we would not have been caught dead supporting a Roman saluting, Muslim-hating dictator in Veccioni. John Wayne antics may work on the big screen, but a man who is irresponsible with his firearm shouldn't have it in the first place. We still have our differences with Moscow and Beijing, but we shouldn't loose a single American to save goose-steppers from a problem they've created. We are still a nation who does good by the world and will do our best to support liberty and justice, but we can't pull out our guns at the drop of a hat. When you play with a gun, you get quick or you get dead. More you play, the more likely one day you're gonna get shot.

Jordan Teresa Allen, on the campaign trail in Marshall, Minnesota, talking about the evidence that Carlos Veccione, the last elected President of Libia, had close and significant ties to Neo-Nazi movements and had relatives who fought for Hitler. Widely considered the speech that won her the 2008 Election.

MOTF 194 crossposting.

194MOTF.png

Isaac Beach

Banned
It Is For Them We Labour, Not For Ourselves
The Kingdom of Sarawak remains a curiosity in South-East Asia. Granted to the today lionised James Brooke after suppressing a rebellion against the Sultan of Brunei in the antimony-rich Kuching region (widely believed to be fomented by the neighbouring Dutch East Indies and their puppet in the Sultanate of Sambas), it remained a peripheral and at times controversial British protectorate considering Brooke’s adventurous and independent governance, something that not even the Empire’s Dominions enjoyed in full. This period was characterised by expansion up until the point of James Brooke’s death and throughout the majority of his successor’s reign, that being Charles Brooke, and saw the outlawing of headhunting, piracy and slavery, and the mass production of black pepper, as well as tea and coffee, that enriched the kingdom in its early years.
Under the third Rajah, Vyner, oil and rubber production was introduced and with it an economic boom that facilitated the creation of a proper civil service and penal code. More controversially, Vyner banned Christian missionaries and was noteworthy for emulating his great uncle’s deliberate fostering of and fraternisation with the native culture of his kingdom. However much of this work was undercut or outright destroyed by the Japanese invasion of Sarawak in December of 1941 and Vyner, his family and kingdom would remain under occupation until 1945[1].
Following liberation, Vyner sought to rebuild the nation and was successful in securing loans from the British and American governments, as well as private donations from London and Anglo-Indian elites, to rebuild Sarawak’s oil infrastructure and kickstart local manufacturing and timber industries. This was on the proviso that constitutional democracy was introduced, and the first elections of Sarawak were held in 1952. The economic resuscitation was initially successful, with rationing repealed in 1950 and the Sarawak rail system fully repaired by 1953. However, the war and reconstruction (and more acutely, lung cancer) took its toll on Charles Vyner and he passed away in 1955[2], to be succeeded by his nephew, Anthony.
Anthony’s long reign was a defining period for modern Sarawak. An economic boom -Sarawakian investors having correctly predicted the rise of post-war Japan- saw the nation flourish, with increased migration and standards of living and the exploitation of natural liquid gas and gold reserves; Conversely, Sarawak remained the subject of Indonesian predation, and a communist insurgency foiled attempts to develop the interior until a ceasefire was declared in 1990. The most controversial event in this period was the ‘Expulsion of the Chinese’ in 1965, when the Council Negri expelled thousands of Chinese residents (some communities that had existed there since the 1860s) felt to be involved in the communist insurgency. Though this law was repealed in the 1970s following a brief détente, the Chinese community in Sarawak has never recovered and relations with the People’s Republic of China have remained dismal for decades, though this is beginning to change following an apology issued by the Tengku government in 2011.
This also saw the crystallisation of Sarawak’s political culture, with the conservative National Democrats dominating the Council Negri -if in occasional coalition with the Islamic Dīn Party- from the first election in 1952 to 1976 (aside a single term in 1956, during reconstruction). Opposing them was the People’s Power Party, or ‘Kekuatan Rakyat’ in Indonesian. Aside their initial victory in 1956 the first time the PPP enjoyed government was in 1976, when falling demand for Sarawakian oil deflated the economy and saw the National Democrats removed from power. This would more or less begin a trend of trading government depending on broader economic circumstances, with the NDP retaking government in the 1980s, only to lose it once more following the Japanese downturn[3], and so on.
However this changed following the end of the Cold War, though the NDP and PPP continued to trade government into the 2000s the electorate grew increasingly dissatisfied, with both parties gaining fewer and fewer votes with each election and a plethora or minor parties arising and faltering. This came to a head following a great recession in the mid-2000s and a reformer, one Haziq bin Tenkgu, rode to victory in the 2008 election with his Progress and Justice Alliance, promising wide ranging reform to the nation’s welfare systems, rapprochement with Indonesia and China, and a spending package that included the foundation of a new highway system and high-speed rail, particularly with the continual influx of Japanese experts[4]. Tengku has been in power ever since, although in recent years his more bombastic plans have stalled in favour of deleveraging the economy, largely through expending its vast oil and gold reserves, and tightening immigration (or more specifically refugees from Indonesia).
The most recent events to occur to Sarawak involves the unexpectedly quick succession of Rajahs, with Rajah Anthony passing in 2011, only for his son James Bertram to die in 2017 at the age of 77, thus placing the young Laurence Nicholas Brooke on the throne. However, loathing the responsibilities of his station Laurence actively appealed to the Council Negri to allow him to abdicate his position to his younger brother. This was passed, and so since late 2018 the Rajah of Sarawak has been one Jason Desmond Anthony Brooke, at the age of 33. Unlike his elder brother Rajah Jason has undertaken his role with gusto and is known for having a close friendship with Prime Minister Tengku.

~​

dd4bgce-eb126a21-181e-4326-a875-586fe5a73439.png

~​

The map is some of my best work, while the description is some of my worst. But hey, them’s the breaks. This was heavily inspired by Kurarun's Afghanistan and Kashmir maps, which are phenomenal. Everything I said here was ‘in character’, which I feel I should clarify as some of it reads kinda poorly to me. Hope you enjoyed it!

The title is from a quote by James Brooke. "Sarawak belongs to the Malays, the Sea Dayaks and Land Dayaks, the Kayans, Kenyah, Milanos, Muruts, Kedayans, Bisayah and other tribes, not to us. It is for them we labour, not for ourselves."

[1] – This is the POD. Vyner isn’t in Sydney at the time of the Japanese invasion, so is captured and weathers the war with the nation he’s meant to be the leader of. This affects a change in personality as he sees the suffering of his people under the Japanese and feels obligated to try and rebuild the country rather than cede it to the British.
[2] – Eight years earlier than IOTL.
[3] – This timeline doesn’t follow ours exactly, but part of me thinks the Japanese asset bubble is kind of inevitable with a post-WWII POD so long as there is any reconstruction and economic miracle approaching OTL’s.
[4] – I’ll be making another map detailing some of the ethnic minorities of Sarawak, namely Anglo-, Japanese-, and Indian-Sarawakians, as well as the ethnic makeup of Sarawak itself and the feelings of natives towards foreigners. For now, there’s a lot of Japanese in Sarawak.

Status
Not open for further replies.