Map Thread XVIII

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by FesteringSpore, Jul 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EbolaMan131 Dick Pound 2020

These are all really good
    Especially the second to last one
    Thanks for sharing them!

wtw, Lalor and AmericanAdam like this.
  2. Reagent Cartography's Reactionary

Crossposting from MotF 194:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    Cool-Eh, Blind, LeinadB93 and 57 others like this.
  3. B_Munro Member

Well, the more corrupt members of the US ruling elite need _somewhere_ to keep their dirty money. :)

Gokbay, AUGGP, Louyan and 3 others like this.
  4. Lalor Member

You’re the one who made the colour scheme! Sorry, I don’t really know how to credit you properly now but yes I saved one of your maps ages ago and then forgot where it came from and couldn’t find it again. But thanks for it and full credits I love it’s dark cyber-punk vibe. I’ll put a mention for you or something in the corner of any maps I make with it again.

AmericanAdam likes this.
  5. AmericanAdam Minecrafter

Thank you so much! You don't have to credit me, I don't mind, I'm mostly just flattered :p

Lalor likes this.
  6. MrImperatorRoma Stahlvelkan Grand Admiral

[​IMG]
    IT IS FINALLY DONE!

An expansion of this, and inspired visually by this RvB map (specifically, the economic treaties) and a few Sera-Firm maps. Many thanks to Sera-Firm, TerranTechnocrat and a few others on the RvB discord for help with this. Binge'd a lot of Issac Arthur's videos, which should help paint for you an idea of the tech: mostly similar to what you'd imagine in IRL's eventually 2200s, assuming of course everyone is happy to dump a lot of resources and treasure onto space expansion.

The TL;DR: In short: Ivan the Terrible doesn't kill his son, and has a bit of a moment where he comes-to and Russia averts a lot of the issues from the Time of Troubles (but not all, though they get lucky Poland fucked up a bit to coast smoothly into the 1600s). Russia rolls a lot of sixes around the 19th century, even more-so in the 20th without a meaningful superpower to oppose them.... this is about 640 years later.

The rest of the write-up is here, if you're interested.

Fixed the map link size*

Blind, Ernak, Gokbay and 92 others like this.
  7. Viralworld Éirí Amach an Ghealach Donor

I’ve never been one for futuristic settings but I’d be lying if I said the detail, pixel art, and overall style weren’t absolutely amazing. Well done!

8. 245 Well-Known Member

will there be a prequel map set in the 2020s? and also what's happening in New Zealand? and what happened to all the African Americans? whats the differences in Scandinavia and whats new Utrecht?

Dr. Doom likes this.
  9. Miranda Brawner Trans Woman

Nice map! The space elevator, cityscape, and astronaut artwork give it a really nice look. The flags are also really well done, and I'm a fan of "Erudite Union" as the name of a state. Very impressive all around.

CtrlAltHistory likes this.
  10. MrImperatorRoma Stahlvelkan Grand Admiral

Thanks a lot! I've been enjoying my shift to adding pixel art with worldas, always like to add a "slice of life" to these.

Possibly in the future? And NZ fell back into the Maori side of things again, race relations in the Americas are significantly better than OTL - likewise there is a similar proportion of African Americans there. Scandinavia is much more conservative than in our world (well, by this future ATL's standards anyway) and New Utrecht is just another former Dutch colony, I just couldn't really think of anything interesting to say about them beyond that.

11. B_Munro Member

And a great piece of work it is! Perhaps (and this somewhat embarrasses me, as a committed anti-spacefilling empires guy) a little _too_ fragmented in spots for my taste (quite a few wee states in areas you'd imagine someone would scoop them up) but extremely impressive.

Also, the Rhine Federation really should have a color that makes it stand out better from Russia and its allies.

Is that an Inuit state in the American far north?
    What are those small states between New England and Champlain?
    When and how did the Worker's Commonwealth form, and when did it fall?
    What's the origin story of the EECU?
    Not-Draka era: a black-dominated South African state that went on an expansionist rampage?
    Have Portugal and Southern Italy been Islamicized, or are they in the Arab block just for the bennies?
    If Istanbul isn't Russian, whose is it? Is it an independent state?
    Has Xinjiang been ethnically Sinicized? 'Cause that's the only reason I can see why they'd want to join China.

12. Filo Count of Santa Lucia

Regno di Longobardia, Margraviato di Toscana.
    armada.png
    A map based over "Armada" TL from Gurps infinity.
    Local time 1812

In 1568 the Spanish Armada is victorious and conquered England.
    During France wars of religion Spanish Armies installed a puppet king and cement an alliance with Austria to rule over Europe.
    Netherland and Belgium were pacified and the good rule of the Alberto and Isabella aided the resugence of catholicism as well in England and Scotland.
    Protestant refugees tooke the ways for Sweden and/or Nuovelle France.

During the 30 years war the Swedish, thanks to a superior technology and drill was able to conquest western Russian land (to Novgorod) and Poland.
    Neverthless the superior firepower and manpower of Austria and Spain checked Sweden at bay, but never allow the Hapsburg to press the Ottomans.
    The English revolution, that tried to break England free from Spanish domination failed and led to a massive emigration of protestant after tye decapitation of Oiver Cromwell.
    In XVIII century the war of successions were successeful for Sweden that was able to gain Silesia and parts of northern Germany states and conquered part of India also defend Bengala from Spanish and netherland colonization.

In 1789 Nuovelle France, called Quebec, gained indipendence from France(the most weak and poor of the Catholic powers) becoming a boosting and rich republic, modelled upon Dutch republic of old.
    At the start of the century Egyptian (of Albanian origins) Mehemet Ali was able to take Constantinople(also if loosing Crete by Spain) and defeating the allied French and Spanish fleets at Navarino.
    This succes of a muslim power galvanize Bengala that defeat and Maharatthas(thanks to Mehement's weapons and instuctors) and become the next muslim indian power.

In present years 1812 the spanish empire is crumbling over its own weight.
    The wars fought in Europe (a Italian rebellion lead by the corsican general named Bonaparte took a lot of money, men and goods to be quelled) and the defeat in front of the traditional ottoman enemy(Officially the dynasty is still in power, but the true power is in the hands of the hereditary Serdar ruling from Cairo) made the empire tremble with revolts in South America and Northern Africa (The latters was crushed, but in S.A Argentina is been able to gain indipendence, also if heavily tutelated by Sweden)
    A new war, that is been seeding in central Germany, could led to a early world war with only a winner.

Feel free to ask questions.

13. MrImperatorRoma Stahlvelkan Grand Admiral

Considering how much of a fan of yours I am, this means a lot, thanks!
    1) Yeah I may have to change that; looked fine to me initially, if a bit of an afterthought.
    2) Again a bit of an afterthought and admittedly my own lacking knowledge of the OTL region's history with China.
    Those are a bit of a mistake, I meant to omit those actually since they didn't really serve a purpose but I forgot all about it. I can also see your point about excessive fragmentation.
    Likewise a mistake, it should be independent.
    Correct.
    Just under the Arab's wing.
    The Commonwealth arises in the 1890s out of a mangled mish-mash union of French and Spanish North American colonies following revolution both on the fields among slaves, and later in the cities, after a less-than-stellar participation in TTL's equivalent of a first world war. The remainder of north america that was absorbed (such as New England) would come after their equivalent of a second world war. It only begins to crumble in the 2040s in some parallel to our USSR, only going violent after an attempted coup by hardliners leads to the army fracturing in loyalties, between said hardliners, reformist-types, and those looking to go independent, and then spiraling from there.
    France's attempt at using their string of allies, vassals and clients across Europe to consolidate into a greater power to curb Russian influence, which dates back to the mid-20th century. Over the years it starts to look less like a wannabe ECC or EU, and more like a centralized political entity.
    I should have clarified: the *Draka era was under the white south african regime after the colony broke away from the French motherland during the revolutions of 1880-1890 that swept Europe, and sported all the would-be Draka horrors, including a phase of rapid northward expansion when the outside world was busy with the First Global War. However, it lacked anywhere near the size nor impact that Stirling's Draka had, and was rather mercilessly torn down in the Second Global War through both internal as well as external enemies, such as the Worker's Commonwealth.

These are all quite valid questions considering I'd been a bit too brief on the past centuries. A lot of it has also been winged a bit, as so often happens it's just a byproduct of doing the map before the writeup for me.

DrWalpurgis and Crying like this.
  14. B_Munro Member

Historically Muslim since the 16th century (in parts rather earlier) and unhappy with Chinese rule, and currently 10% or more of the local non-Chinese population is being held in "re-education" camps.

Gokbay and Crying like this.
  15. TrucKola Raccoon Emperor of Gaulish Brennusia

A map for my TL's "Romantic America" instead of using "Latin America." A comprehensive list of nations are arranged from their respective mother countries from North to South.

Spain:
    Mexico
    Caribia
    Lingor
    Nicaragua
    Colombia
    Guiana
    Ecuador
    Peru
    Argentina
    La Rioja

Aragon:
    Cuba
    Ferdinanda
    Upper Guiana
    Amazona
    Patagonia

France:
    Quebec

Romantic America.png

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    Blind, David II, DrWalpurgis and 16 others like this.
  16. X_Eaglefrost_X Well-Known Member

An interesting idea, and great execution. Great job!
    Is there a way I might be able to see this timeline?

17. TrucKola Raccoon Emperor of Gaulish Brennusia

It simply begins with 1469. No Spanish unification. Castile just goes on calling itself Spain. Weird colonialism, including some Germans getting into the action. I may go further into it tomorrow.

AmericanAdam and Bomster like this.
  18. Allan Nonymous Compulsive Map Maker

What's up with Buenaventura?

19. TrucKola Raccoon Emperor of Gaulish Brennusia

A German naval lease that turned into a permanent semi-exclave city of the Bundesreich.

20. HeX Self-Proclaimed Disney Expert

Might I suggest that you change up Mexico's northern border some? It's unlikely the Gadsen Purchase would occur with a POD in the 1400s.

Other than that, great map!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.