Map Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering this was well-received, would it be safe for me to continue a short series on the development of Mars post-Bombing? Whether or not I finish the series would depend on whether or not I make it interesting enough for people to comment on it, and whether or not I make it interesting enough for me to continue to care about it.
Terribly dangerous. On this forum, you lose a finger for each bad map posted.

EDIT: In all seriousness, that sounds super neat.

Isaac Beach

Banned
WIP, though very nearly finished; just adding colours and probably text boxes. Trying to use subdued pastel-esque colours to account for how many are gonna be on there. As it says in the top-left corner, this map is of 2525 and is part of my wider world building project. The one with all the planets and whatnot. Thinking I should maybe make the Caspain larger, among some other things, and I haven't finished adding states to the World Dialogue (Green border).

2525 Best - Copy.png

Inca Empire.png

Not alternate history, but simply a map created for a Spanish project. Inca Empire at its greatest extent, it was rushed in the period of a hour so the graphical mistakes stem from that.

WIP, though very nearly finished; just adding colours and probably text boxes. Trying to use subdued pastel-esque colours to account for how many are gonna be on there. As it says in the top-left corner, this map is of 2525 and is part of my wider world building project. The one with all the planets and whatnot. Thinking I should maybe make the Caspain larger, among some other things, and I haven't finished adding states to the World Dialogue (Green border).
That Sino-Indian state is absolutely terrifying!! I'm very curious with regard to how it formed and how it hasn't torn itself apart yet.

View attachment 318165
Is all of Morocco a nuclear wasteland, or....? Also, I too am intrigued about the Indo-Chinese state and why stubborn little Bhutan and Nepal haven't joined..

Isaac Beach

Banned
That Sino-Indian state is absolutely terrifying!! I'm very curious with regard to how it formed and how it hasn't torn itself apart yet.

Still not as powerful as the African Union :biggrin:. They had a war in the mid 2000s that split India in two for fifty years, though Pakistan irrevocably tore itself apart in the aftermath leaving China's involvement a moot point. Relations improved with most of their geopolitical differences nuked to conclusion, and the rise of the African Union saw them ally in the late 2100s so as to remain relevant against the increasingly ascendant power. The benefits of closer union quickly made itself evident and they confederated in the mid 2200s and have been glacially integrating since then. By 2525 about 80% of their bureaucracy is integrated though their member states maintain a great deal of autonomy within the Confederation.

Is all of Morocco a nuclear wasteland, or....? Also, I too am intrigued about the Indo-Chinese state and why stubborn little Bhutan and Nepal haven't joined..

No no. I'm just using a dark colour for them. :coldsweat: They're a fairly prosperous and space faring power complete with their own orbital navy. Bhutan and Nepal have joined, they're just minor members next to India and China and dominated by them economically and culturally.

third version of the new 1984+ map. i think i got a bit burned out on map-making so there aren't as many additions to it as i'd like even considering how much progress i made on it. this also includes a couple of placeholder colors for Central Asia and the eventual Equatorial Federation. since it's still up in the air what i'll be doing with Central Asia, i gave it TACOS' supranational Russian and Asian colors together so that i can just change all of them at once if they're Soviet and decide what i'll be doing with them separately if they're Chinese-aligned. in neutral white are states so far that will definitely be part of the Equatorial Federation regardless of what it actually is in the end (they could be formally unified as one state, or they could be an EU-style alliance, in which case they'll have their own colors with an Equatorial outline probably in EU Blue). what's been included so far in that field is former French West Africa, an equivalent to the East African Federation, Senegambia, Morocco (this one in particular because one of the "corners" of the disputed zone in Nineteen Eighty-Four is Tangiers) and an eastern Mediterranean state based on Federation of Arab Republics. Colombia's been added as well, but isn't designated further just yet (it'll probably be an American puppet, though) but i've also formally added several more Central American states. Mongolia's been added, too, and i decided to expand it a tiny bit based on the Republic of China's claims which extended through it into Russia, though i'm tempted to have it as an agreed-upon buffer state rather than just another puppet, and i expanded Madagascar a bit so that it technically controls other African islands as well but they're functionally autonomous, the idea being that they all seceded from France together when the Soviets took over Europe and the others are only nominally part of Madagascar, and the Desolation Islands are in there, too, though uninhabited. i'm tempted to have them as a "real" disputed zone that the powers fight over for an arbitrary reason, alot of it probably just being spite.

the bigger additions are two other parts of "Oceania", the Union of South Africa and Australia. i decided to revise Soufrica's territory such that they more or less only actually have their OTL territory (Lesotho and Swaziland are probably Equatorial allies, Swaziland being better off because it's not completely enclosed thanks to Mozambique, which will probably be nominally controlled by Soufrica but is functionally independent and aligned to the Equatorials) and redid Rhodesia as being another puppet state, it's essentially super-Zimbabwe and Soufrica--which retains apartheid through to the present-day--just barely tolerating its existence and ethnic African control as a distraction from their own internal problems. Australia has almost exactly the same territory as before, but i've redefined the Outback (which i roughly defined based on Australia's population density) with the dominion overlay so that the inland regions are de facto independent. well, not so much "independent" as "lawless wasteland of blistering desert where roving gangs of Mad Max-style bandits will kill/eat/rape you if you stumble onto the wrong patch of rock". the eternal war aspect for Australia is these guys, with the Australian military controlling population centers and ports and undeveloped areas out to a certain point, and they also have air superiority, but there's just so much of the Outback that they essentially have to let the gangs do their thing out in the desert and only deal with them when they intrude on government-controlled areas, to distract from Australia's other problems, or when they're sufficiently pissed off--say, if they just had to make a concession to the Equatorials or Japan then they'll send out death squads to murder whatever group of bandits is unlucky enough to be found first. i'm not entirely satisfied with that, so i'll need to formally develop some more for the anarchic parts of Australia eventually. the other change here is related to what i mentioned about Tangiers earlier: the Equatorials actually have territory on the Australian mainland in the city of Darwin, basically being where they negotiate with Australia, and it's the safest part of the continent.
1984+ (v02).png

Jcw3

Banned
third version of the new 1984+ map.

Liking this series so far.

Something I want to do in the summer is a mix of 1984 and Worldwar, with three human powers (probably US, Soviet Union, and Japan) against the Race, in an eternal Cold War of sorts.

Something I want to do in the summer is a mix of 1984 and Worldwar, with three human powers (probably US, Soviet Union, and Japan) against the Race, in an eternal Cold War of sorts.

"We've always been at war with Eastasia and allied to the Lizards!" :p

Isaac Beach

Banned
Aren't enlarged central Asian bodies of water in future climate predictions usually due to sea levels being raised without any concern as to whether they're actually connected to the Oceans or not?

True. Though I would've thought the justification would be torrential flooding from glacial melting further north. Perhaps aided by colossal arctic storms as the icecaps recede bringing water further south. Though you're not wrong. However the Aral was intentionally refilled, before you call out my BS :p.

obviously, the Race would get the disputed zone ;)

View attachment 318015

I said the other night in Chat that I was interested in creating a map of the Russian invasion of America in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. This is the result. It's largely conjecture given how little detail the game provides about the event. The game is pretty wildly ASB anyway, so I decided to just take it to the illogical extreme based on what information was available.

Wonderful map - sad to see Richmond fell, but as an RVA native, I assure you, we're making them bleed, Stalingrad style.

One odd thing - no move against the Fort Lee/Tricities area? If not, I wager the troops there are probably on the front lines of taking back Richmond.

View attachment 318015

I said the other night in Chat that I was interested in creating a map of the Russian invasion of America in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. This is the result. It's largely conjecture given how little detail the game provides about the event. The game is pretty wildly ASB anyway, so I decided to just take it to the illogical extreme based on what information was available.

RIP me.

I got skullf***ked by the Russians in NoVA.

Wonderful map - sad to see Richmond fell, but as an RVA native, I assure you, we're making them bleed, Stalingrad style.

One odd thing - no move against the Fort Lee/Tricities area? If not, I wager the troops there are probably on the front lines of taking back Richmond.
Thanks!

The sources I drew upon (in-game quotes and a write-up from the Call of Duty Wikia) were insistent on one detail alone -- that the Russians targeted cities for occupation. They vaguely describe many large cities and towns across the southern eastern seaboard falling under control of the invaders, and of course the grand centerpiece of the action was in downtown D.C. So I clutched that straw and ran with it. I think the Russians would be stretched very, very thin, and they would have to prioritize targets that reduced their logistical migraine. Beyond urban areas, I reasoned that they would aim to disrupt American air and naval defenses while also seizing ports -- hence the really heavy presence in SE Virginia and the attempt to create a corridor between there and the fighting in Washington. The airdrops would be the precursor to greater landing forces.

As for Fort Lee, I think you have the right of it. In the chaotic situation of the beginning stages of the invasion, they'd see signs of airdrops and fighting in the Richmond direction.

Thanks!

The sources I drew upon (in-game quotes and a write-up from the Call of Duty Wikia) were insistent on one detail alone -- that the Russians targeted cities for occupation. They vaguely describe many large cities and towns across the southern eastern seaboard falling under control of the invaders, and of course the grand centerpiece of the action was in downtown D.C. So I clutched that straw and ran with it. I think the Russians would be stretched very, very thin, and they would have to prioritize targets that reduced their logistical migraine. Beyond urban areas, I reasoned that they would aim to disrupt American air and naval defenses while also seizing ports -- hence the really heavy presence in SE Virginia and the attempt to create a corridor between there and the fighting in Washington. The airdrops would be the precursor to greater landing forces.

As for Fort Lee, I think you have the right of it. In the chaotic situation of the beginning stages of the invasion, they'd see signs of airdrops and fighting in the Richmond direction.

Virginia has a major advantage in terms of the fact we have scores of military bases, and an even larger number of veterans.

I can see this map as the Russian highwater mark for sure - before the Army retakes Richmond, the Marines at Quantico rebuff the attempt to link up Richmond and DC, and Basically the entire Norfolk/Newport News/Virginia Beach area turns into a bayside Stalingrad.

Status
Not open for further replies.