Map Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.
My submission for MotF 154, pretty much a huge CSA-wank. It's not the most original idea but I really liked how it turned out visually.
csa.jpg

Just some speculations on the topic of liberalization in Russia and its outcomes. More text on DeviantArt.

caucasian_federation__2026_by_enmergal-db6h450.png

This looks like an absolutely massive ethnic riot waiting to happen. If Ossetia can gain independence absolutely surrounded by this federation, Georgia's blood would boil if it was kept under control like this.

That being said, this is still an absolutely beautiful map.

This looks like an absolutely massive ethnic riot waiting to happen. If Ossetia can gain independence absolutely surrounded by this federation, Georgia's blood would boil if it was kept under control like this.

That being said, this is still an absolutely beautiful map.
This is a future map, not based upon the breakup of the Soviet Union. A mistake I made at first. There also appears to be a narrow corridor connecting that area to the remainder of Russia.

This is a future map, not based upon the breakup of the Soviet Union. A mistake I made at first. There also appears to be a narrow corridor connecting that area to the remainder of Russia.
The Orthodox Christian areas will still be extremely instable because of this federation being pretty much guaranteed to be controlled by Muslims. Unless...?

fourth version of 1984+. the next version will probably be the last. probably the most changes to a single update here: the South American countries, China, and the Equatorial Federation have been added, along with internal borders for Australia and finally deciding to leave the Caucasus as part of the Soviet Union. still torn on Central Asia, so any input on that would be appreciated.

South America features a small retcon of what i had before for Colombia, though only in its southwestern border. i based the South American borders on a map of projected Nazi aims for the continent both to emphasize the authoritarian nature of the world even considering that the projected POD is after the fall of the Nazis, but i recolored it to account for existing countries at the projected POD in 1948, such as Peru still being present whereas on the map i used for the basis it was apparently merged with Chile (incidentally, i'm now thinking the POD might have something to do with the foundation of Israel and a different death for Gandhi the effects that could have on Indian independence, either alone or together, with the presented geopolitical scheme being a result of the butterfly effect from that point). the main independent powers in South America are Brazil and Argentina, the former taking notes from Brazil (despite that film not actually being explicitly set in Brazil). the changes as far as designating countries here are that Suriname is still part of the Netherlands and, together with French Guiana, it's used as a base for the Soviet navy in the region since the Holland and France are Soviet puppets. Guyana, meanwhile, has been annexed by the NAU. i'm trying to figure out which other South American countries would logically be puppetized by other powers, namely by Brazil and Argentina themselves. on a smaller scale two continents away, i decided that Cyprus is still part of Turkey, partly out of simplicity and partly because the POD is before its independence, but it's still possible that it could become independent, if still in the Soviet bloc or otherwise aligned to the Equatorials.

as to the Equatorial Federation, i decided to go with single-state again, but cut down on their territory a bit similar to what i did with the Philippines. these are parts of the original region that fall outside the strictest definition of "disputed zone" from the original book. therefore, several smaller states in western Africa along with Afghanistan, Nepal, and Bhutan are independent states now. that said, they're members of the Equatorial Federation in all but name, independent but under their influence. you'll notice, though, that the dominion overlay is used instead of protectorate to indicate that, while they are being influenced by the Equatorials, they really and truly are independent rather than being puppet states like the Western Bloc to the Soviets. they'll also be getting Indonesia, but i'm thinking of having parts of it that fall outside the "disputed zone" definition as being claimed by Australia even though if they can't back up that claim. after that, there's just the various islands, Antarctica, and a few bits and pieces of Central America to properly designate.

i'm not entirely satisfied with what i've done for China so far, though. re-examining a summary of Nineteen Eighty-Four's geopolitical scheme, i found out that some of the areas of conflict include Mongolia, Manchuria, and Tibet and that these are specifically fought-over by Eurasia and Eastasia, so i decided to add Tibet as a specific area (using the maximum limits as noted on a Worlda map for 1948, so it's bigger than OTL Tibet) and decided to add an expanded version of Manchuria to China's territory--since it was always the smallest of the three "superstates" i feel the need to expand China's territory to justify that compared to the USSR as Eurasia and the admittedly fractured Oceania equivalent. to that end, China officially has Manchuria but it's a battleground between it, the Soviet Union, and Japan, with the Russians formally controlling everything north of the Amur while Japan rather arbitrarily gets gets the other official Russian territory in the region from OTL, including Sakhalin (i also gave them the Kuriles). i'm just not sure i should really have it as such, in part because i'm not showing warzones anywhere else on the map as territorial changes, and i'm not sure Tibet should be so big, either. i'm also a bit conflicted on China's other internal borders, which i haven't done any work on yet.
1984+ (v02).png

I had time to kill at work today, so I made different kind of map:

Tus7CTi.gif

Essentially a what-if? of West Virginia's secession from Virginia going slightly differently. Eastern Kentucky also secedes from its state after Confederates briefly take control. The dislocated portion of Kentucky votes to join West Virginia.

I like this. The streams are an interesting choice.

My submission for MotF 154, pretty much a huge CSA-wank. It's not the most original idea but I really liked how it turned out visually.

*looks at the map*
Hey, wait… are those really on the exact same latitude?

2000px-USA_location_map.svg.png

HOLY CRAP, THEY ARE. Is that on purpose?! It has to be; Congress was extremely specific about the sizes of states. Wow. I never knew that.

*looks at the map*
Hey, wait… are those really on the exact same latitude?

HOLY CRAP, THEY ARE. Is that on purpose?! It has to be; Congress was extremely specific about the sizes of states. Wow. I never knew that.
I compared the two coordinates, and that doesn't seem to be the case.
Lawrenceville, WV is at approximately 40°37′ N, while the northern border of Missouri actually wavers from about 40°35′ to 40° 36' N. (Something like that, I'll check tomorrow. I'm tired.)

I compared the two coordinates, and that doesn't seem to be the case.
Lawrenceville, WV is at approximately 40°37′ N, while the northern border of Missouri actually wavers from about 40°35′ to 40° 36' N. (Something like that, I'll check tomorrow. I'm tired.)

Yeah, the northern border of Missouri is does not completely follow a latitude line.

Because the legal definition of the border was done by hand when surveying it. Same with the US/Canada border.

No, the Iowa/Missouri border is unusually crooked compared to most US state borders. There's a reason for this, but I forget what it is. I think the eastern part was disputed, but the western part wasn't, or something like that.

There are whole books dedicated to the details of how US states got their shapes.

WIP number 10,267,412. Can't recall if I put up the earlier, crappier version of this. Based on a Clifford Simak novel.

EvilDwells2.png

Status
Not open for further replies.