Map Thread XII

Status
Not open for further replies.
People often misunderstand the nature of the dominion governments as little more than 'autonomous' provinces of Britain, as though they were on the same level of independence as, say, Hungary to Austria. The truth is that the dominions were essentially independent states in all but name, hence why so few of the nations that were British dominions actually have independence days. Most place it in 1947 with the enactment of the Statute of Westminster for simplicity's sake, but the truth was that the process was so gradual that no one can really say exactly when the dominions became independent.

To give the example of Australia - the six colonies became self governing between 1855 and 1890, and federated in 1901. The Statute of Westminister was adopted by the UK in 1931, but only adopted here in 1942, backdated to 1939, but it was not until the Australia Act of 1986 that the last British involvements in Australian governance were removed.

On the Central Powers victory - IMO the only realistic "victory" for the Central Powers is one brokered by the United States, probably on the back of the Russian Revolution (either one) forcing Russia to reconsider its involvement. It'd see minimal if any changes in Western Europe, possibly some new nations (Poland, Finland, maybe some Baltics, some Caucauses and Ukraine), and most likely the loss of most if not all of the German colonies, and the definitive loss of Egypt for the Ottomans. Other losses and state disintegrations are probably up for discussion. Despite OTL, the Ottomans were in pretty good shape militarily throughout the war, and IMO it's plausible that they retain their holdings in the Middle East in the event of a brokered peace. Similarly, victory or the lack of defeat is going to help Austria-Hungary stay united, for a while at least, and will reduce Germany's internal problems - German revolutionary fervour was directly linked to lack of battlefield success. Serbia and Montenegro are probably an open question, but I could see Macedonia going to Bulgaria, in whole or in part.

So, does the common set of ending graphemes mean something like '-land' (England, Deutschland, Frankland) or does it just mean 'country'?

So, does the common set of ending graphemes mean something like '-land' (England, Deutschland, Frankland) or does it just mean 'country'?

It means something like '-land', but is used only for a state (The components are "Order" on the left, and "Land" on the right).

I'm not a linguist so I don't know how languages work well, i'm just doing it for fun.

Last edited:
This is my MotF 104 entry. I'll leave the write up over with the entries though.

madrail_2017_by_secondrow-d801ih1.png

Are those "north" in Norway and Norn Iron? Or just the sound of "nor"?

Would like to see more of it:)

It is the word "North". The literal translations would be "Northland" and "North Emerald Land"

I have more, most of them aren't on my computer, though. The other ones I have in a digital form are the numbers 1 - 170, and the words "Sun", "Moon" and "Day".

I must admit, uploading a 115-slide gif broke Imgur and I had to use Imageshack. The biggest gif I've made. :p

Thank you for putting the gif together for us. I really enjoyed it. That was one crazy century! (I didn't think it could get any crazier than OTL, but apparently it can.)

One thing I noticed was that the red state in the Eastern US went from bright red to a darker red to a very dark red-brown. Just an aesthetic choice, or did it represent the government getting progressively darker and more corrupt/authoritarian? Either way, it looked cool.

Dorozhand

Banned
Textbook map of the Federal Republic of Paraguay.

ITTL Paraguay was founded as a conventional Latin American republic rather than a crazy Jacobin dictatorship. The first president was Anastasio Echevarria, an alternate rebel general who worked through his presidency to secure independence and set up democratic institutions. He was well loved and completed his term, but his successor was assassinated by conservative royalists, which began a long sporadic civil war which would last until 1822, when liberalist mestizo general Jose Cassio Rodriguez and his faction reunited the country. Inspired by the 1821 constitution of Mexico, they drafted a new constitution and formed a new government. The previous system of French style departments was reworked into a federation of states.

Through the early 19th century, Paraguay would quietly attain greater stability and prosperity, building up a well trained and well armed army and a riverine navy. Coups occurred sporadically, but the presidential institution was well codified and the military kept in its place.

Two wars would be fought in the latter 19th century, one against the Habsburg Empire of Platinia over a border dispute which would end in Paraguayan victory, and another alongside Bolivia, Patagonia, Uruguay, and Peru against an alliance of Brazil, Platinia, and Chile over the Brazilian invasion of Uruguay which would end in a resounding victory. Brazil was crippled and Chile was totally defeated, while the ragtag immigrant state of Patagonia successfully maintained its independence.

Paraguay today is a dynamic and prosperous nation, a federation of 16 states with a stable democratic tradition.

ParaguayMap.png

ParaguayMap.png

As always a truly excellent map. Is it, perhaps, a darker and more authoritarian expy of the Commonwealth of Independent States?

Actually, it's a darker, cyberpunk take on Star Wars' Confederacy of Independent Systems (so yes, a CIS :p). It's an alliance of corporations and *Objectivist states, one whose members spend quite a bit of time bickering with one another. They also have robot armies that aren't totally incompetent. Part of this larger setting.

Actually, it's a darker, cyberpunk take on Star Wars' Confederacy of Independent Systems (so yes, a CIS :p). It's an alliance of corporations and *Objectivist states, one whose members spend quite a bit of time bickering with one another. They also have robot armies that aren't totally incompetent. Part of this larger setting.

Ah, I remember your write-up for the Federation. I'll be interested to see if you ever do more from this setting.

EDIT: Also, having read your worldbuilding write-up, the Citizen's Alliance needs Bolos- or rather a bunch of huge and rather worthless tanks since they're easy to take out via orbital bombardment.

My WiP showing the results of an alternate 1910s (current year: the late 1930s) is progressing nicely, with Africa and most of continental Eurasia finalized. Germany came out of WW1 in a relatively better shape (while the west ended up like OTL, in the east they just had to cede most of Posen and a few West Prussia border towns to young Poland), the Russian Civil War ended with a republican victory and some minor butterflies like an Iranian Republic, Bolshevik Georgia ("Oh hey, Stalin!"), a weaker Saudi State and a less relevant LoN ("Why shouldn't we formally annex most German colonies as compensation?" - France and the UK) appear as well.

China will be quite different, India is still not done even though not much will be different there (at least not visibly). Enjoy!

EnhancedWorldA.png

Would China be better or worse than OTL?

That depends on how you define "better" or "worse". One idea I have is to have a Hongxian Empire of China around the historical Zhili province (however Yuan Keding is about as competent as his father), several other warlords in the north and a rather stable left-leaning republic modeled after Sun Yat-sen's ideals in the south.

This is my MotF 104 entry. I'll leave the write up over with the entries though.

Nice. Now I know where "650 km from the North American center" is supposed to be at. I wouldn't be surprised if this "Ride My Johnson" controversy were OTL reality.

Cross posting my incredibly Parochial MOTF entry, either follow the quote link or click the image for the full size version.
I may have highlighted the political boundaries of Nottingham in order to be fully clear about where the center is supposed to be. On the other hand, it's a lot like my MotF 100 entry back then, though yours is more elegant.

motf_100_by_dr__no_by_skalka_no-d7lyo21.png

My WiP showing the results of an alternate 1910s (current year: the late 1930s) is progressing nicely, with Africa and most of continental Eurasia finalized. Germany came out of WW1 in a relatively better shape (while the west ended up like OTL, in the east they just had to cede most of Posen and a few West Prussia border towns to young Poland), the Russian Civil War ended with a republican victory and some minor butterflies like an Iranian Republic, Bolshevik Georgia ("Oh hey, Stalin!"), a weaker Saudi State and a less relevant LoN ("Why shouldn't we formally annex most German colonies as compensation?" - France and the UK) appear as well.

China will be quite different, India is still not done even though not much will be different there (at least not visibly). Enjoy!
The Ukrainians not giving too much autonomy to the Poles or Unitarianesque people in Galicia for any reason? Don't want to egg them on? And given what happened to Albania and the colonies, should I take it the Americans were not part of the war? Outside of possibly supplying the Czech and Polish governing class?

CannedTech

Banned

Are those Tsarists in Svalbard?

Status
Not open for further replies.