Map Thread XII

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by Baconheimer, Feb 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baconheimer Berserker of Chaos

Former Confederate Republic of Virginia (FCROV)
  2. Lars Porsenna Banned

The Map Thread is dead.

Long live the Map Thread!

3. Turek User

The Map Thread is dead, long live the Map Thread!

4. metastasis_d Full Battle Rattle

To start us off, this was one of the map portions I had to do for one of my GIS labs a couple weeks ago. It doesn't make much sense without the accompanying write-up, and this is a very unrefined version, as the final is still in .mxd format and I don't have ArcMap on my home computer to convert it to an image.

Basically we used rasters to determine what parts of Boone County, Missouri would be suitable habitats for the Red Fox. Value was added for distance from the edge of forest cover, proximity to water, distance away from urban settlements, etm.

If I remember, I'll post the final version later.

[​IMG]

5. Miranda Brawner Trans Woman

Hooray for Baconheimer, who is most worthy of starting Map Thread XII. As I am still a newbie to the board, this is the first time I've witnessed a transition of power from one thread to the next. It is a significant moment.

6. The Kiat I'm going to Nixonland!

Dag nabbit! I was going for the first map. Thus, this Burgundian map based off an EUIII game I played years ago will have to do for second map.

Burgundian Empire.PNG

7. Turek User

Baconheimer, may I suggest putting links to some of the major basemap threads in the OP?

A single basemap will get outdate quickly, and even with the upcoming switch and thus unlimited editing time, you won't want to have to update it every time. So it might be useful.

Interesting. It's not the usual kind of map we see around here. I don't really know enough to make an informed comment, but that's impressive.

Burgundy is Burgundy, but Prussia isn't Prussian Blue? :p

8. metastasis_d Full Battle Rattle

Interesting having the Spanish control both Iberia and the traditional homeland of the other Iberians. :D
    What's the year?
    Good call.
    Believe me, it isn't very impressive, but I was kind of limited by the rubric for the lab exercise. I'm just in my 2nd semester of GIS, and last semester was just a very basic intro to both GIS and cartography. This semester I'm taking a class for each, so hopefully I'll have lots of opportunities to showcase my progress in the discipline. I'm actually planning on combining my final projects for both classes into making an economic activities map similar to these:
    http://www.zonu.com/images/500X0/2009-09-18-8622/Belgium-Economic-Activity-1968.jpg
    http://www.marysrosaries.com/collab...fghanistan_Economic_and_Land_Use_Map_1982.jpg
    http://ed101.bu.edu/StudentDoc/Archives/ED101fa10/mogavero/images/economiceurope.jpg
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0c/Brasil_economia.jpg
    http://www.zonu.com/imapa/americas/Dominican_Republic_Economic_Activity_Map_2.jpg
    for the state of Missouri.

9. Turek User

Well, I think the research you must have had to do is fairly impressive. Unless you were provided with that information. Either way, I'll keep an eye out for your maps. Good luck with the classes.

10. Iserlohn Amateur Cartographer

Arrondissement Hagen (Grand Duchy of Berg)
    Well, since I posted on of the last maps of the last map thread, here it is again! Just a few things that aren't in the write-up but are noteworthy, partly because that was asked in Map Thread XI:
    1) The current year is 1933.
    2) Norway has a portion of Greenland because they didn't recognize the Treaty of Kiel, which took Greenland, Iceland and the Faroers from Norway and gave them to Denmark. Denmark formalized their claims over Greenland in 1919 with the Norwegians reluctently agreeing as long as they were allowed to operate there, too (excluding a short period from 1931 to 1933 where they actually tried claiming "Erik the Red's Land"). ITTL Norway made sure to get a portion of Greenland where they really had full control, while still allowing Denmark control over most of the island.

Anyways, now onto the write-up!

[​IMG]

11. Devilmaypoop "Insert clever User Title"

Smells very much like Kaiserreich, assuming that's where you got the inspiration. Looks good.

12. Dorozhand Queer Maoist

Map of the Universal Caliphate and Empire of the Romans from my last map.

Yellow/red circles denote Legionary bases.

Thurqomanlu4.png

Thurqomanlu4.png

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
    merkmuds likes this.
  13. The Night Bringer Banned

A map of our WWI game from the 1932. Credit of PiratePartyist for his great turn:

1932.png

14. The Night Bringer Banned

And a map of my WWII game, set in 31 November 1942:

August-september 1942.png

15. Turek User

What's happening in the US?

16. Alex Richards A mapper I, from near Dar-bai. Donor

Wait, is that the French in the DEI (sans any Australians) and those fronts in Libya make no sense at all and are mostly just advancing through featureless desert rather than heading towards towns or along roads.

17. Red Arturoist Napoleon II. - Marxist-Arturoist-TraƂkaist Donor

Well... William Burton III. of the Patriot Party led the US since 1924, got a horrible war with Mexico, was generally an incompetent leader, and, most of all, formed the US into an Apartheid-like dictatorship. What looks like "territories" in the CONUS are "non-voting zones" or, better, the US' bantustans.
    And since the US is democracy-loving, and William Burton III. has caused the first armed rebellions since 1861, several people are now trying to secede. And Canada is considering intervening in favour of the rebs.

Yes, we have agreed to have the US break up...

18. The Night Bringer Banned

Well, the US is breaking up due the semi dictatorial rule of the current POTUS, who is a member of the Patriot Party (A politicized KKK). The POTUS, William Burton III enacted certain "no-vote" special millitray zones in majority non White areas. And also near the Great Lakes after certain left wing riots in Detroit.Also, William Burton III invaded Mexico, the third US-Mexican war of TTL and the invasion is quite unpopular, to say the least...

19. The Night Bringer Banned

Yes, those are the French in DEI, they secured the area after the Netherlands itself fell to Nazi rule.

And apart from the fact that the British are advancing through the coastal way, but extremely slowly (they only just took Tobruk), the French are facing a German invasion, an Italian invasion, a rebellion in Indo-China, Japanese invasion of Borneo and Sulawasi and pro German revolts in Algeria, after just managed to pacify similar revolts by it's Muslims elsewhere. The only reason the French could even dream of an invasion of Lybia, even without any chance of proper plans is that Italy is bogged down in Greece and the Western front.

20. The Night Bringer Banned

Nope, but there is an independent state centered arounfd Arkhangelsk in the WWI map.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.