Map of the Fortnight: Main Discussion Thread

Probably going to try making my first MotF entry for this. Current plan is something along the lines of War of the Worlds, except the aliens in question have bioweapons in their repertoire, and the general tone of the invasion is closer to British colonialism in India or the Spanish in Mesoamerica, as opposed to the outright extermination in the original WotW.

The Map Before Time - Make a map depicting a prehistoric or protohistoric setting.
The Whopper Index - Make a map that depicts economic wealth or standards of living.
Incidentally, my vote is absolutely on one of these two for a future contest.

These have probably all been done before but some prompt ideas:

Work!: Make a map that depicts a public works project, such as highways, dams or otherwise.
A Lake of Our Own: Make a map that depicts a body of water under the control of a single power.
Save Paradise: Make a map that depicts ecological sanctuaries, parks or other such wild land set aside.

Last edited:
Damn, looks like I shan't be able to get my planned entry out in time (overestimated my productivity and understimated College work). I'll still definitely do something with it as I really like the idea I got and the current concept, but my first MotF entry will have to wait to another day.

Damn, looks like I shan't be able to get my planned entry out in time (overestimated my productivity and understimated College work). I'll still definitely do something with it as I really like the idea I got and the current concept, but my first MotF entry will have to wait to another day.

Aww, sorry to hear that, but real life does come first. The round will be open for about 36 hours from the time of this post, if you're able to squeak something in.

Map not completed to the level I'd have liked, but I managed to squeak it out in the end. I'm not sure whether or not additional images are allowed, but just to be on the safe side of the rules, I'll post an image of my concept for the Tchrillik (alien sort-of invaders, and source of the British Flu which ravaged the world at the turn of the 20th century)

DSC_0885 2.JPG

Stretch

Donor
This Is Our Land
A map where a native population survived contact with an invading force and became a nation (does not have to be necessarily stable)

Map not completed to the level I'd have liked, but I managed to squeak it out in the end. I'm not sure whether or not additional images are allowed, but just to be on the safe side of the rules, I'll post an image of my concept for the Tchrillik (alien sort-of invaders, and source of the British Flu which ravaged the world at the turn of the 20th century)

View attachment 633324

I don't think additional images are an issue, I've added an additional image for at least one map here

Well that was a great round!

Just to be sure, a significent River (like the Nile or Mississippi) counts as a body of water right?

I have the same question for the lakes.

Lakes and rivers are both fair game, as long as the control of them is significant for the country depicted.

@Kaiphranos

Would control that is temporary or short-lived count? Like the map shows the height of real, honest control but the writing is on the wall? Is that allowed?

Sure, as long as the map depicts the period of control.