Look to the West Volume VII: The Eye Against the Prism

Yes, modern OTL liberalism is sort of societism-lite. But unlike the USA, the USSR explicitly wanted to be a world state, and while it did not openly deny cultures and languages the right to exist, the attempts to make them conform with Moscow's vision were hugely disruptive. In a way the USSR might seem more dangerous than the Combine, because the latter was honest about its intention to destroy all existing cultures, while the former was sneaky enough to officially promote them in very cases even as it destroyed their substance. Maybe they will think that this is the reason why OTL is so terrible. Without an open challenge to the existence of nations, diversitarian-like ideas are less appealing.

Also, if the crosstime expedition from the LTTW timeline studies OTL history, they will find that Stalin's concept of exploiting divisions between capitalist states was very similar to their history's Doctrine of the Last Throw.

Why would Timeline L compare "American informal empire" to the Combine when the Hermandad is a much better analogue? Our world is more like the Long Peace, which may lead them to believe not that we have conquered nationhood but simply have yet to confront it in the way that they did.

Why would Timeline L compare "American informal empire" to the Combine when the Hermandad is a much better analogue? Our world is more like the Long Peace, which may lead them to believe not that we have conquered nationhood but simply have yet to confront it in the way that they did.
But conversely, their Long Peace is quite like our own equivalent... that is, the so-called Belle-Epoque, though of course there are differences. (The disturbing similarities IOTL between the emerging post-Cold War order and the multipolar Belle Epoque's one have been repeatedly noted).

But conversely, their Long Peace is quite like our own equivalent... that is, the so-called Belle-Epoque, though of course there are differences. (The disturbing similarities IOTL between the emerging post-Cold War order and the multipolar Belle Epoque's one have been repeatedly noted).

Agreed. This imagery can be extended backwards too, with the Soviets preceding the 21st century, the Revolutions of 1789-1848 preceding the Belle Epoque, and the Jacobins/Popular Wars preceding the Long Peace.

xsampa

Banned
It seems the Second Black Death will impact North India the worst due to a Russo-Persian conflict there.

It seems the Second Black Death will impact North India the worst due to a Russo-Persian conflict there.

Technically this would probably be the fourth plague pandemic ITTL - technically the OTL Black Death is probably the second pandemic, if you assume the Plague of Justinian was the first. The third took place in the mid-19th century IOTL, killing about 12 million people, mostly in India - IDK if this happened ITTL.

Plague erupted a few times in China during the late 19th and early 20th century as well, killing tens of thousands each time.

Plus, vaccines and antibiotics against the plague had been developed during the late 1890s and late 1920s respectively IOTL. IDK if this has happened yet ITTL, or even if they have, if it would be dispersed enough to be useful.

In a way the USSR might seem more dangerous than the Combine, because the latter was honest about its intention to destroy all existing cultures, while the former was sneaky enough to officially promote them in very cases even as it destroyed their substance.

An internationalist power that was brought down by ambitious national elites within said power would be seen as much less dangerous as one that fought to the bitter end until its capital region got nuked. The fall of the USSR is vindicating Zonal Rej system and other anti-national measures of the Societists.
It is the US that would worry them the most.

Speaking of the Hermandad, I kinda miss it and the UPSA. The sheer unpredictability was what I liked most, you start out with a kind of USA analogue like oh, here's their French/Indian War and here's their Revolution and so on until the "War of 1812" in the Third Platinean War, and then things just went so far off the rails (internally and externally) as the UPSA deals with a unique set of challenges. The teleology of the Combine arc kinda screws with that, even if there's still plenty room for unexpected developments.

xsampa

Banned
An internationalist power that was brought down by ambitious national elites within said power would be seen as much less dangerous as one that fought to the bitter end until its capital region got nuked. The fall of the USSR is vindicating Zonal Rej system and other anti-national measures of the Societists.
It is the US that would worry them the most.
They might actually recommend disabling the USE nuclear system and EMP followed by psyops

They might actually recommend disabling the USE nuclear system and EMP followed by psyops

As has been said, the USA will probably remind them of the pre-Pandoric-War UPSA. Knowing what happened to the UPSA when they lost a war, they might worry about something similar happening in the US.

So ah, on another side note, I think we can safely say that Timeline A is not quite our timeline. For starters, a quick google search for Steve McMichael, the governor of South Carolina, turns up this guy, and while there's no guarantee it's the same person it seems like quite a plausible allohistorical allusion, no?

So ah, on another side note, I think we can safely say that Timeline A is not quite our timeline. For starters, a quick google search for Steve McMichael, the governor of South Carolina, turns up this guy, and while there's no guarantee it's the same person it seems like quite a plausible allohistorical allusion, no?
Timeline A is the world of The Multiverse War, which was a popular series here when Thande started writing.

So I've started re-reading this TL, and I was reminded of a question I had the first time around (when I read it last year, short whatever's been published in the last six months) but that I never did ask because by the time I was done with the 'Definitive Edition' thread, I'd forgotten.

Anyway, so... what about the new timeline is it that led to Carl Linnaeus's racial taxonomy and such becoming so popular as to lead to the changes in the French Revolution we saw TTL? I mean, while France in OTL revolution was about a racist as anyone else (and maybe even less so, since the Jacobins freed the slaves)? I could never figure it out what it was that actually caused the change.

I'm sure this has been asked before, the relevant chapter is like, 9 years old and change, so if anyone knows, I'd love to know.

So I've started re-reading this TL, and I was reminded of a question I had the first time around (when I read it last year, short whatever's been published in the last six months) but that I never did ask because by the time I was done with the 'Definitive Edition' thread, I'd forgotten.

Anyway, so... what about the new timeline is it that led to Carl Linnaeus's racial taxonomy and such becoming so popular as to lead to the changes in the French Revolution we saw TTL? I mean, while France in OTL revolution was about a racist as anyone else (and maybe even less so, since the Jacobins freed the slaves)? I could never figure it out what it was that actually caused the change.

I'm sure this has been asked before, the relevant chapter is like, 9 years old and change, so if anyone knows, I'd love to know.
I believe that due to geopolitical something or other swedish contributions to the science were adopted much more thoroughly. This led to the adoption of several swedish element names and a more widespread knowledge of Linnaen human taxonomy, which the French then ran with, cementing it in the popular consciousness TTL.

Well, it's mentioned that Linneaus's popularity is what led to the luft-guy becoming known outside of Sweeden, but not how Linnaeus became popular

"Linnaeus' controversial ideas about humanity's relationship with the animal world would not become public knowledge until 1780, when they sparked an enormous debate. One consequence of this was that everyone was desperate to get hold of Linnaeus' writings in the original Swedish, which resulted in a temporary boom for other Swedish writers, who had previously languished from writing in a language which few non-Swedes understood. One of the more famous was an apothecary named Carl Wilhelm Scheele, who was able to alert the world of natural philosophy to his discovery of several new chemicals in the late 1770s. He developed the notion that the atmosphere was composed of a mixture of the lufts elluftium and illuftium, which was an important foundation for the later work of Priestley and Lavoisier, as well as making several more important discoveries.[8] "

This also leads to racism itself being different from otl racism and goes to show just how different this timeline is from otl.

Well, it's mentioned that Linneaus's popularity is what led to the luft-guy becoming known outside of Sweeden, but not how Linnaeus became popular

"Linnaeus' controversial ideas about humanity's relationship with the animal world would not become public knowledge until 1780, when they sparked an enormous debate. One consequence of this was that everyone was desperate to get hold of Linnaeus' writings in the original Swedish, which resulted in a temporary boom for other Swedish writers, who had previously languished from writing in a language which few non-Swedes understood. One of the more famous was an apothecary named Carl Wilhelm Scheele, who was able to alert the world of natural philosophy to his discovery of several new chemicals in the late 1770s. He developed the notion that the atmosphere was composed of a mixture of the lufts elluftium and illuftium, which was an important foundation for the later work of Priestley and Lavoisier, as well as making several more important discoveries.[8] "
So I had it precisely backwards, that's interesting
This also leads to racism itself being different from otl racism and goes to show just how different this timeline is from otl.
I agree, it's something I find really interesting. Given that the Diversitatians are the "good guys" (at least from the one-sided primary sources we and the Institute have seen) and yet still have *Racism (with a capital R) as an an integral point of their ideology and historiography adds all sorts of nuance to the timeline that I really enjoy.

So I had it precisely backwards, that's interesting

I agree, it's something I find really interesting. Given that the Diversitatians are the "good guys" (at least from the one-sided primary sources we and the Institute have seen) and yet still have *Racism (with a capital R) as an an integral point of their ideology and historiography adds all sorts of nuance to the timeline that I really enjoy.
Well, my favorite part of what happened with the crazy linneanist french revolution in this TL is how it discredited racism. A lot. Like, not entirely, since anti-black racism remained a thing in the ENA, but it had a similar effect to many forms of racism (or at least, what we call racism today IRL) that the end of WWII had on antisemitism - antisemitism used to be a hobby all over politics in Europe, and WWII drove it to the margins, well out of anything resembling respectability.

Until some far right parties/movements started making progress again, and the like, but let's pretend they're not a thing for a blissful second.

xsampa

Banned
We haven't heard anything on the Mozambiques or East Africa, but could Zanzibar become a site for the Race for Space ITTL?