Like Kinnock: A Biden '88 Open Collaborative TL

Deleted member 100251

(Well this is my first collaborative TL in the After 1900 forum. I'm starting on the premise of a successful Biden campaign in 1988, how will this effect the 90s and 2000s, let's see. ;) )

September 12th, 1987: Joe Biden makes a speech that uses many of the same ideas as Neil Kinnock, leader of the British Labour Party. In the speech, he makes multiple references to Kinnock (saying the words "Like Kinnock" on multiple occasions), giving him credit for the original speech.
He was applauded for it and it helped him catch up to his fellow Democratic competitors, Michael Dukakis and Richard Gephardt.

Last edited by a moderator:
September 29, 1987: Pat Schroeder suspends her brief campaign for the Democratic nomination, narrowing the field to "only" 7 candidates.

Last edited:
January 3, 1988: After much speculation, Gary Hart anounces that he will not resume his presidential campaign.* Polls show Dukakis, Gore, and Biden will gain equally from his exit.

*IOTL he resumed in December and dropped out again in March.

Last edited:

Deleted member 100251

Wait wait, the POD is Sept. 1987. Anything before that is set in stone as the same as OTL.

Deleted member 100251

November 9th, 1987 - The Transformers: The Headmasters anime is brought to the US as The Transformers Season 4.

December 1st, 1987: Senator John Glenn gives a speech at the university of Iowa. He covers many topics including the future of space travel, and the future of the country. The speech, covered by local reporters gets wide spread publicity. Many call it the speech of his career, and have high praise. Talk radio in and around DC speculate that Senator Glenn may use the speech as a platform to unofficially "run" for the vice presidential nomination, no matter whom should emerge with the presidential nomination.

December 11, 1987: U.S. Senator Lloyd Bentsen (D-TX) endorses Joe Biden for the Democratic presidential nomination in 1988.

January 31, 1988: The Denver Broncos defeat the Washington Redskins 21-17 to win Super Bowl XXII.

June 23, 1989: Tim Burton's Batman is released to cinemas. Starring Tom Selleck as the Caped Crusader, the film features the title character and his sidekick Robin (played by Kiefer Sutherland) facing off in Gotham City against the Joker, played by Robin Williams. Making over $400 million at the box office, the film quickly becomes the highest-grossing film of 1989.

Deleted member 100251

Wow, these are some great posts! Obama running for Mayor of Chicago is very interesting. So is John Glenn's speech.

I like the casting for Burton's Batman movie ITTL. Williams as the Joker sounds pretty great.

I also like how Super Bowl XXII played out.

Great work, guys! I'll make another post soon.
----
On another note I just want to say that...
February 10th, 1987: Chrysler CEO Lee Iacocca says he will run for president if volunteers can get his name on the ballot in all 50 states.
January 3, 1987: After much speculation, Gary Hart anounces that he will not resume his presidential campaign.* Polls show Dukakis, Gore, and Biden will gain equally from his exit.
*IOTL he resumed in December and dropped out again in March.
The POD is Sept. 1987, these two are too early.

April 3, 1988: Gerhard Berger wins the 1988 Brazilian Grand Prix with defending world champion Nelson Piquet in 2nd and Alain Prost in 3rd.

April 5 1988 : it is announced that due to the success Cannon will be making A Captain America film with John Stockwell directing starring Kevin Sorbo as Captain America and Kirk Cameron as Bucky.

August 18, 1988: After continual disagreement with his finance minister, David Lange (New Zealand Prime Minister) announces a major cabinet reshuffle. Appointing David Caygill to the finance portfolio.