Like Kinnock: A Biden '88 Open Collaborative TL

November 8, 1988 - The 1988 US Presidential Election takes place. The Democratic ticket of Biden/Graham beats the Republican ticket of Bush/Dole, 272 to 265, with one faithless elector in Pennsylvania voting for the independent ticket of Iacocca/Perot.
What states did each ticket win?

Does anyone want to do Biden's cabinet members?
Maybe Richard Holbrooke as Secretary of State and Mario Cuomo as Secretary of HUD.

Deleted member 100251

What states did each ticket win?
Dem: CA, WA, OR, NV, CO, NM, MN, WI, IL, MI, OH, PA-24, MD, DE, NJ, NY, RI, CT, MA, VT, NH, ME-3
Rep: ID, MT, WY, UT, AZ, ND, SD, NE, KS, MO, OK, TX, IA, AR, LA, IN, KY, TN, MS, AL, GA, FL, WV, VA, NC, SC
Ind: PA-1

Maybe Richard Holbrooke as Secretary of State and Mario Cuomo as Secretary of HUD.
Good ideas.

Deleted member 100251

Shoot, messed up with the electoral college votes - used a 2016 map as reference. Luckily I can fix it.

I'll take matters into my own hands with this one.

November 9th, 1988: Across the country, many disgruntled Republican voters begin protesting the results of the election. Several hold up signs stating: "BUSH OR KISS MY TUSH!", while several other Republicans believe Biden was affiliated with the USSR, giving him his narrow victory.

Deleted member 100251

November 8, 1988 - The 1988 US Presidential Election takes place. The Democratic ticket of Biden/Graham beats the Republican ticket of Bush/Dole, 309 to 227, with one faithless elector in Pennsylvania voting for the independent ticket of Iacocca/Perot.
Fixed the votes.

Deleted member 100251

I plugged all the states you named into the EC calculator for 1988 on uselectionatlas.org, and it comes out 302 for Biden and 236 for Bush. Even when you account for the faithless Iacocca vote in Pennsylvania, the numbers are still off.
Okay, thanks!

November 10th, 1988: President Ronald Reagan meets with President-elect Biden in the White House. Reagan asks that "my fellow Republicans accept that Mr. Biden is the democratically elected President of the United States" and asks for calm in the face of protests.

Deleted member 100251

November 9th, 1988: Bush gives his concession speech - he thanks his supporters and congratulates Biden on winning the election. In the beginning, he starts off by saying, "Thank you so much, everyone. I am so glad to have had this opportunity to be President Reagan's vice president. We may have lost the election, but we have not lost spiritually. America has once again elected a new president, and we should be proud of that."
He ended off with, "Again, I must give my congratulations to presidential nominee Joe Biden and his running mate Bob Graham. Thank you to all who have been alongside me in this political battle. May God Bless us all, May God Bless the United States of America! Thank you all!"

I'll take matters into my own hands with this one.

November 9th, 1988: Across the country, many disgruntled Republican voters begin protesting the results of the election. Several hold up signs stating: "BUSH OR KISS MY TUSH!", while several other Republicans believe Biden was affiliated with the USSR, giving him his narrow victory.

November 10th, 1988: President Ronald Reagan meets with President-elect Biden in the White House. Reagan asks that "my fellow Republicans accept that Mr. Biden is the democratically elected President of the United States" and asks for calm in the face of protests.

November 12th, 1988: Following the continuation of protests for the past 3 days, Bush comes out asking for his supporters to calm. Agreeing with Reagan, he says "Biden won fair and square, we must accept that. I ask for you to calm down. Remember that we are a democracy. This is not the American way!"

Last edited by a moderator:
January 20, 1989: Joe Biden is sworn in as the 41st President of the United States by Chief Justice William Rehnquist. In his inaugural address, Biden says that "a new era of our history is upon us, one that will bring an America that will benefit everybody, whether you're white, black, male, female, conservative, liberal, Christian, Jewish, everybody!"

Deleted member 100251

Would Al Gore be a good head for the EPA? He's pretty involved with environmentalism.
And good work!

Dem: CA, WA, OR, NV, CO, NM, MN, WI, IL, MI, OH, PA-24, MD, DE, NJ, NY, RI, CT, MA, VT, NH, ME-3
Rep: ID, MT, WY, UT, AZ, ND, SD, NE, KS, MO, OK, TX, IA, AR, LA, IN, KY, TN, MS, AL, GA, FL, WV, VA, NC, SC
Ind: PA-1

Good ideas.

So, which way did Hawaii, Alaska, Maine, and Pennsylvania swing? I want to make a map but I don't see them on here.