Well that is interesting. The Tories remaining in dominance in Quebec intrigues me greatly.
I'm sad that Charest lost, but a reconciliation with Manning and Reform makes things hopeful :)
A few questions, how is being compared with Republicans a smear at Reform? Two, what is going on down south in America?

Well that is interesting. The Tories remaining in dominance in Quebec intrigues me greatly.
I'm sad that Charest lost, but a reconciliation with Manning and Reform makes things hopeful :)
A few questions, how is being compared with Republicans a smear at Reform? Two, what is going on down south in America?

As a general rule, especially these last few decades, being compared to Republicans is never the best way to stay in the good graces of Canadian voters. To many Canadians the GOP are a bunch of right wing nut jobs.

I believe even Mulroney was accused of using "Republican tactics" by the Liberals.

As a general rule, especially these last few decades, being compared to Republicans is never the best way to stay in the good graces of Canadian voters. To many Canadians the GOP are a bunch of right wing nut jobs.

I believe even Mulroney was accused of using "Republican tactics" by the Liberals.
[shakes head] Canadians.

blame-canada.jpg

;) :p :D

So, nothing unexpected. Conceivably, with Martin as the broadly-respected man who saved Canada from debt and recession, you may see the Liberals as a solidly right-of-centre party.

And Campbell is both Deputy PM and Minister of Industry and Consumer Affairs. Was that intentional?

So, nothing unexpected. Conceivably, with Martin as the broadly-respected man who saved Canada from debt and recession, you may see the Liberals as a solidly right-of-centre party.

And Campbell is both Deputy PM and Minister of Industry and Consumer Affairs. Was that intentional?

All the major parties are centre-right at this point. Prime Minister Paul Martin is going to have an impact, that's fore sure. And yes, Campbell served in both positions. A good way to downgrade a potential obstacle, but not in such a way that raises too many eyebrows.

All the major parties are centre-right at this point. Prime Minister Paul Martin is going to have an impact, that's fore sure. And yes, Campbell served in both positions. A good way to downgrade a potential obstacle, but not in such a way that raises too many eyebrows.
We could see the Tories go further right if they merge with Reform as they did OTL.
Wonder if Trudeau defects to the NDP in that instance

We could see the Tories go further right if they merge with Reform as they did OTL.
Wonder if Trudeau defects to the NDP in that instance

Much like OTL there have been murmurs of potential merger negotiations. Maybe some kind of electoral alliance. Yet, again like OTL, Charest and Manning don't much care for one another. Don't worry about Trudeau. I got plans for him.

Wait, how are the Liberals becoming centre-right?

Under Chretien, the Liberals were right-of-centre, pursuing spending cuts to create a stimulus to pay off Canada's massive debt at the time. Martin was even more right-wing, so if his ideology sticks, expect the liberals to be centre-right.

Under Chretien, the Liberals were right-of-centre, pursuing spending cuts to create a stimulus to pay off Canada's massive debt at the time. Martin was even more right-wing, so if his ideology sticks, expect the liberals to be centre-right.
I dunno, I think it's a mistake to call them centre-right. Economically, sure, but everywhere else it was the usual centre-left (or at the least pure centre) policies.

Wait, how are the Liberals becoming centre-right?
To be fair, Center-right in Canada is different from center-right overall ;)
I dunno, I think it's a mistake to call them centre-right. Economically, sure, but everywhere else it was the usual centre-left (or at the least pure centre) policies.
Yeah, that's why I was confused. Fiscal Conservativism doesn't make you conservative.

My rationale is that since the government is placing such an overwhelming focus on economic rather than social matters, they could be in some ways described as being centre-right. But this is the Liberals we're talking about. They're a big tent, mainly centrist political party.

If you (@CanadianTory) can actually get the SoCreds to win seats in 1997 in the Alberta election, that would be amazing. :p

Oh don't worry, I'll be covering provincial politics soon enough.

My rationale is that since the government is placing such an overwhelming focus on economic rather than social matters, they could be in some ways described as being centre-right. But this is the Liberals we're talking about. They're a big tent, mainly centrist political party.

Oh don't worry, I'll be covering provincial politics soon enough.
Unless a Trudeau is in charge, in which they stampede to the left ;)
Will you get into American politics? If so I have some ideas... :D