Lands of Red and Gold, Act II

So how flexible in climate terms are various australian species of nicotiana used in ttl's pituri? Would it be possible for them to be used to create a plantation culture in various dryland/desert subtropics or tropical areas?
I managed to lose track of this question at the time.

TTL's kunudri (pituri) doesn't use a species of Nicotiana, although Australia has plenty of them. They use Duboisia hopwoodii (common name corkwood). This plant can be used in dryland or near-desert conditions. It wouldn't cope too well with high rainfall (too much risk of rots and flooded soils). Somewhere like Egypt would actually be pretty much perfect, since there isn't rainfall and irrigation can be managed from the Nile. But subtropical, mid to low rainfall regions or arid regions with irrigation would probably be best.

I managed to lose track of this question at the time.

TTL's kunudri (pituri) doesn't use a species of Nicotiana, although Australia has plenty of them. They use Duboisia hopwoodii (common name corkwood). This plant can be used in dryland or near-desert conditions. It wouldn't cope too well with high rainfall (too much risk of rots and flooded soils). Somewhere like Egypt would actually be pretty much perfect, since there isn't rainfall and irrigation can be managed from the Nile. But subtropical, mid to low rainfall regions or arid regions with irrigation would probably be best
Are camels in Aururia yet?

Are camels in Aururia yet?

Pretty sure not

There are, the Portuguese were using them to explore and trade for gems from the Hunter, which was also where they got their guns from

Guessing that’s in the chapters still not in book form
Yes, there are camels in Aururia by the early seventeenth century at least. (I can't remember the exact date things kicked off.) That's not in the published version but will be in Book 3 when that gets completed.

Did Jared tell the general audience what was up with Clements yet? The contest to figure it out was three and a half years ago.
No, it hasn't been explained explicitly yet, though it's possible to make a pretty good guess. The actual explanation will probably be a Book 4 thing.

@Jared Are you going to talk about the Aururian Industrial Revolution?
Some of the precursors are in the Hunter sequence, but the main events kick off with the next couple of sequences of posts (or Book 4 in novel form).

Just before we run out of 2023, I'm happy to announce that the first standalone short story of the LoRaGverse has been published. The Red and the Grey is a tale of Tjibarri football in the days before European contact. It's available in the anthology If We'd Just Got That Penalty: A Collection of Alternate History Sporting Stories (edited by Gary Oswald), just published by Sea Lion Press.

For those who like my other main timeline, this anthology also contains a Decades of Darkness short story : Goats and Circles, a tale of Buzkashi (aka Afghan goat polo) coming to DoD North America.

The anthology is available on Amazon at the links below:

US: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CQHWQV67/
UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CQHWQV67/
Australia: https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B0CQHWQV67/

Something I ordered a few weeks ago finally arrived, just in time for Christmas!

jpeg-optimizer_PXL_20231225_005046638-min-min (1).jpg

I just wanna ask what's the papers that show that southwestern aborigines have blonde hair? I just wanna see them bc I went to search for them and I couldn't find it.

I just wanna ask what's the papers that show that southwestern aborigines have blonde hair? I just wanna see them bc I went to search for them and I couldn't find it.
Try this article in Discover magazine. It focuses on blonde hair in Solomon Islanders, but also references similar phenotypical traits in some Aboriginal peoples.

Also are we getting anything from part 3 of LoRaG? It's been a while since anything was posted about LoRaG... @Jared
I haven't been able to turn in the final manuscript to Sea Lion Press yet, due to various life and work issues. I hope I'll be able to complete it soon, but I can't make any definite commitments as to timeframe. After that, it depends on Sea Lion Press's publishing schedule.

Try this article in Discover magazine. It focuses on blonde hair in Solomon Islanders, but also references similar phenotypical traits in some Aboriginal peoples.
Ah thx! I'll probably go into a rabbit hole looking at this lol.
I haven't been able to turn in the final manuscript to Sea Lion Press yet, due to various life and work issues. I hope I'll be able to complete it soon, but I can't make any definite commitments as to timeframe. After that, it depends on Sea Lion Press's publishing schedule.
Ah ic, so it's going to be book releases from this point?

Ah ic, so it's going to be book releases from this point?
By Part 3 I thought you meant Book 3, which is working on publication. There will be further parts of LoRaG coming on here, but I'm working on them as a full sequence and will release once the sequence is complete - much like how the latter part of the Hunter sequence came out.

By Part 3 I thought you meant Book 3, which is working on publication. There will be further parts of LoRaG coming on here, but I'm working on them as a full sequence and will release once the sequence is complete - much like how the latter part of the Hunter sequence came out.
ah that makes sense. so is book three the hunter/the crusades era?

So is book four post hunter?

and ic, yeah putting it out as a sequence does make sense.

I just hope we see more of the Spanish Americans, the Kogung and Aotearoa in the future, other than Tjibarr and co. Even though the tl's focus should always be on alt Australia, seeing Aururian people outside of the third world is always very fun, and I hope we get to see the Pliri Aotearoans continue to prosper and the such.

ah that makes sense. so is book three the hunter/the crusades era?
Book 3 finishes with the Hunter/crusades era, though it also covers everything from the end of Book 2 - basically from the end of the Proxy Wars onwards.
So is book four post hunter?
Yes, Book 4 will be an updated version of the next sequences to be posted here. There is a bit of an overlap with the tail end of the Hunter's era, but that's mostly because of what's happening in other parts of Aururia which weren't covered during the Hunter sequence - *Tasmania and Durigal, in particular.
and ic, yeah putting it out as a sequence does make sense.

I just hope we see more of the Spanish Americans, the Kogung and Aotearoa in the future, other than Tjibarr and co. Even though the tl's focus should always be on alt Australia, seeing Aururian people outside of the third world is always very fun, and I hope we get to see the Pliri Aotearoans continue to prosper and the such.
The focus of this timeline is and will remain the "Third World", which does include Aotearoa as well as Aururia. There will be more information on the Kogung at some point, and to a degree the Congxie as well, but I don't plan on going into great detail about other parts of the world. Mostly they'll be seen as the Aururians/Aotearoans see them - reports from travellers, occasional news from people talking, and so forth. Although there may be some glimpses of other fronts when things get to the Nine Years' War.

Book 3 finishes with the Hunter/crusades era, though it also covers everything from the end of Book 2 - basically from the end of the Proxy Wars onwards.

Yes, Book 4 will be an updated version of the next sequences to be posted here. There is a bit of an overlap with the tail end of the Hunter's era, but that's mostly because of what's happening in other parts of Aururia which weren't covered during the Hunter sequence - *Tasmania and Durigal, in particular.
ah ic. Tasmania and Durigal would be interesting places to get to, as we last know the Yadji are trying to get boats to fight the Tjunini, and since then we know nothing about happenings beyond that.

and would book four get right before the Industrial Revolution? we know that tjibarr had its own Industrial Revolution that is independent of the European/british one.
The focus of this timeline is and will remain the "Third World", which does include Aotearoa as well as Aururia. There will be more information on the Kogung at some point, and to a degree the Congxie as well, but I don't plan on going into great detail about other parts of the world. Mostly they'll be seen as the Aururians/Aotearoans see them - reports from travellers, occasional news from people talking, and so forth. Although there may be some glimpses of other fronts when things get to the Nine Years' War.
ah ic.

I still think there could be a lot of stuff about them tho, since the Kogung are a descendant Aururian civ, and the Kogung probably would have ties with Tjibarr or other nations as time marches on.