Lands of Red and Gold, Act II

have they started keeping domesticated cats or ferrets?

If they do start keeping domesticated cats, they'll be the first people in the world to do so. :D

Okay, slight exaggeration there, but whether cats count as domesticated is still arguable.

At this point, they won't have much if anything in the way of cats or ferrets. They're trying to up the breeding of those animals they do have - quolls and rat-catching breeds of dogs.

'Tis a pity they haven't caught on to the idea of setting up nests for barn owls - that would really, really reduce the number of rats near farms.

So, I found a few pictures online of lighter-skinned groups in the New Guinea highlands. Although New Guinea highlanders are often stereotyped as being universally sub-Saharan African dark, there is a significant variation. I just wondered if in terms of skin tone (not overall look) this is around what the Gunnagalic farmers look like.

If anything, those are slightly lighter-skinned than Gunnagalic farmers. Though it's not too far off.

However that first part is an odd way of saying it. There isn't a pithy way to say it, though.

True. Though it makes somewhat more sense in a timeline when the word state has subtly shifted in meaning to have more overtones of being a geographical entity.

What I thought was meant was that "state" defines ethnicity in a happenstance, purely geographical way. "Nation" defines it in a proper political form, thus "The Nationalist Manifesto".

This is a pitfall I'll have to remember when using words that have changed from their historical meanings. In this timeline, "nationalism" is in some senses a reaction to the idea that ethnicity should be defined by state borders.

To use a very rough historical analogy, it would be as if the new government after the French Revolution were much more thorough in adopting the idea of universalising the French language (i.e. Parisian French), and enforced the various French language laws earlier and more vigorously, with a rationale that everyone who lived within France's borders should be part of the French "nation", and thus speak (Parisian) French.

The reaction is an ideology which says that "I can live in France, but still be of the Breton/Alsatian/Occitan nation". The definition of what counts as a nation is, naturally, blurry. Often the defining characteristic is language, but often it's ethnicity (particularly for members of visible minorities, to borrow the Canadian term, and/or those who are different in religion).

Now I wonder if there might be some crop exchange between New Guinea and Aururia now that the Aururians are going north.

Yes. It will start soon, if it hasn't done so already. There will be a lot of crops exchanged, no doubt, but probably the most significant change for the history of the Nuttana is that they will have sugar cane and bananas.

Is it just me, or does the guy on the left look like DrWhat?

If a future character ITTL is called Boono Lombadee, everyone now knows who to blame...

mojojojo

Gone Fishin'
Jared, given that October is almost upon us...will you be favoring us with a Halloween update (like you did with Christmas and Easter).Is the holiday celebrated in any form in this TL? Do children dress up as Water Men & Elves instead of zombies and mummies?

Yes. It will start soon, if it hasn't done so already. There will be a lot of crops exchanged, no doubt, but probably the most significant change for the history of the Nuttana is that they will have sugar cane and bananas.

I like the Nuttana benefiting, but I want to see the New Guineans benefit too. They sort of get ignored.

I like the Nuttana benefiting, but I want to see the New Guineans benefit too. They sort of get ignored.

I said before that New Guinea would be a useful local source of slave labor for the Nuttana. IOTL, Papuans (even isolated tribes of highlanders first contacted in the 20th century) never seemed to have a population crash due to Western epidemics. It appears there has never been a population crash. Thus Papuan slaves will be much hardier in the face of epidemics than any of the more local sources of labor. Of course, they'll likely be more expensive to procure than Maori and the like as well, but African blacks were the most expensive labor option in the New World, but ended up being the most used due to hardiness.

Jared, given that October is almost upon us...will you be favoring us with a Halloween update (like you did with Christmas and Easter).Is the holiday celebrated in any form in this TL? Do children dress up as Water Men & Elves instead of zombies and mummies?

I wrote an Easter special? I thought that one was a celebration of another almost as famous day. :confused:

I did give some thought to a Halloween special last year, but dropped the idea because I couldn't come up with enough interesting things to make it worthwhile. I may have another look at it this year, but I'm not making any promises.

New Guineans will certainly benefit from contact with the Nuttana, but I'm not sure if the main benefits will be crop exchanges.

The problem is that most Aururian crops are warm-temperate / subtropical adapted crops that are adapted to moderate to low rainfall with well-drained soils. Most of those crops would not grow well - or at all - in tropical lowland New Guinea. And even if some of those crops would grow in the highlands of New Guinea - and some probably would - they can't be gotten there unless they grow in the lowlands.

For Aururian crops: red yams are out, obviously. Murnong would grow in the highlands but can't get there. Most wattles can't cope with the heat and soaked soils. Lesser yams could kinda-sorta cope but don't offer any great advantages over sweet potatoes, which the New Guineans already have. Native flax won't grow there either. Most of the spices likewise couldn't cope. Perhaps a couple of the more heat-adapted ones, but that's nothing that would be a game-changer for the New Guineans.

The one exception is if there is a species of domesticated wattle that can manage the lowland heat. If it can, then oh boy, things have changed. One thing New Guinean agriculture really lacked was a decent source of vegetable protein. A decent wattle harvest would fix that really well.

Even if there's no suitable crops, though, New Guineans will still really benefit from contact. That's because technology is more likely to diffuse to them in a form which doesn't involve direct colonisation. Metalworking and literacy would spread, for starters. (Along with Plirism).

I said before that New Guinea would be a useful local source of slave labor for the Nuttana. IOTL, Papuans (even isolated tribes of highlanders first contacted in the 20th century) never seemed to have a population crash due to Western epidemics. It appears there has never been a population crash. Thus Papuan slaves will be much hardier in the face of epidemics than any of the more local sources of labor. Of course, they'll likely be more expensive to procure than Maori and the like as well, but African blacks were the most expensive labor option in the New World, but ended up being the most used due to hardiness.

New Guineans will certainly have much better disease resistance than, say, the Maori, but there are some caveats. New Guineans would be more vulnerable to Aururian diseases which the Maori are now reasonably resistant to. The isolated highland tribes who were contacted in the twentieth century were usually done so after systematic vaccinations had largely stopped some of the more dangerous diseases (e.g. smallpox). So we don't know entirely how safe those cultures were from epidemics.

Lowland New Guineans would be more resistant, though - and it's those who would be in contact with the Nuttana. And one way or another, the Nuttana will certainly be trying to recruit New Guinean labour.

Whether that will involve slaves is a harder question to answer. Plirism has what European powers would consider to be unpredictable attitudes to slavery. Nuttana traders will be responsible for freeing slaves in North America to form the Congxie, but those same Nuttana will have no problem with using imported Maori slaves.

To the Nuttana, this is because the first is a breach of contract, while the second is in accordance with the Maori's own customs. The first is a case where the "slaves" were originally indentured servants, but who were then told that they were lifelong slaves and that their children were also born into slavery. This concept was one that Plirites - at least, the Nangu/Nuttana school - found abhorrent.

Maori slavery, on the other hand, was an accepted custom within Maori culture where people who were captured as prisoners of war became slaves for life (though they could be freed, sometimes), but the condition was not passed onto their descendants.

So in terms of New Guineans, I expect that the Nuttana would start by trying to offer terms similar to those they've offered the Kiyungu - five-year terms as labourers, with the option of living on after that. If that doesn't get enough volunteers, well, the Nuttana may accept other ways for New Guineans to end up in Aururia. But they will not countenance multi-generational slavery.

If anything, those are slightly lighter-skinned than Gunnagalic farmers. Though it's not too far off.

The first three pictures are around the normal end of pigmentation of New Guinea highlanders. The last guy appears to be a redskin, which is an albino-like pigment mutation found only in New Guinea. A few percent of the population in parts of the eastern highlands have it. Unlike other forms of albinism, it doesn't appear to cause major issues with melanoma with regular sun exposure, just a naturally reddish-white skin cast.

Even if there's no suitable crops, though, New Guineans will still really benefit from contact. That's because technology is more likely to diffuse to them in a form which doesn't involve direct colonisation. Metalworking and literacy would spread, for starters. (Along with Plirism).

There's always animal protein I suppose. Emu should do fine in New Guinea. On the other hand, despite having access to pigs since the Austronesian expansion, they were never enough to stop protein deficiencies in the highlands. One possible issue is pigs in New Guinea eat human food (sweet potato, taro, coconuts, sago) thus pigs shrink the available calories for humans while upping the protein. Presumably emus would be better, as they can eat be fed seeds, leaves, and insects which are not a regular part of the human diet.

That would result in some interesting economic impacts for New Guinea. As with much of Oceania, pigs were essentially currency in most of New Guinea. An alternate, easy source of protein would depreciate the value of pigs quite rapidly, and ultimately mean a new means of exchange within and across cultures would be needed.

New Guineans will certainly have much better disease resistance than, say, the Maori, but there are some caveats. New Guineans would be more vulnerable to Aururian diseases which the Maori are now reasonably resistant to. The isolated highland tribes who were contacted in the twentieth century were usually done so after systematic vaccinations had largely stopped some of the more dangerous diseases (e.g. smallpox). So we don't know entirely how safe those cultures were from epidemics.

Keep in mind in the modern period some newly-contacted tribes in the Amazon saw upwards of 50% casualty rates when they first met with the outside world.

Still, New Guinea is a bit of a mystery. There has clearly been some contact with the outside world, starting with the settlement of Austronesians around the coast 2,000 to 4,000 years ago, and continuing into the historic era, where sultanates like Ternate had trading links with Western New Guinea. Everywhere else, these sort of first contacts resulted in waves of plague and population collapse, but aside from some Austronesian admixture in the coastal areas, there was just about no influence on Papuans.

mojojojo

Gone Fishin'
The first three pictures are around the normal end of pigmentation of New Guinea highlanders. The last guy appears to be a redskin, which is an albino-like pigment mutation found only in New Guinea. A few percent of the population in parts of the eastern highlands have it. Unlike other forms of albinism, it doesn't appear to cause major issues with melanoma with regular sun exposure, just a naturally reddish-white skin cast.

See this is why I love AH.com so much, you can learn the most amazing new things here:)

Hi Jared, love this story, simply amazing! Now, sorry if this is the wrong story I'm thinking about (took awhile too read all this, might be confused) but way earlier did you say that one of the civilizations had a counting system based on the number 8, not 10? I just think that'd be quite a cool little side story with them getting completely confused with European maths and vise versa. My wise old neighbor use to say that alot of maths would have been way easier with an 8 system cos it could be evenly halved and halved until 1. So yeah, just wondering if that little oddity is gonna pop up anywhere yet. Also, Halloween special :D ?

There's always animal protein I suppose. Emu should do fine in New Guinea. On the other hand, despite having access to pigs since the Austronesian expansion, they were never enough to stop protein deficiencies in the highlands. One possible issue is pigs in New Guinea eat human food (sweet potato, taro, coconuts, sago) thus pigs shrink the available calories for humans while upping the protein. Presumably emus would be better, as they can eat be fed seeds, leaves, and insects which are not a regular part of the human diet.

Yes, emus will definitely help as well. Assuming that they get traded as far as the highlands, of course, but I don't know any reason why they wouldn't (perhaps slowly).

As you point out, this may change the method of currency. Emus would be a valuable source of nutrition not just for their eventual meat, but egg production along the way. Handy things to have around - and so perhaps something to trade for/raid for? For some reason, I'm picturing a New Guinean version of the Táin Bó Cúailnge where *Cú Chulainn has to stop the invaders stealing the best egg-laying emu.

Keep in mind in the modern period some newly-contacted tribes in the Amazon saw upwards of 50% casualty rates when they first met with the outside world.

Oh, certainly whatever else may have been going on, the newly-contacted Papuan tribes were still far more resistant to disease than those of the Amazon. But it's still uncertain whether some of the worst killers (particularly smallpox) ever reached them or not. Perhaps, perhaps not. But those diseases certainly did reach the lowlanders long before Europeans came along.

Still, New Guinea is a bit of a mystery. There has clearly been some contact with the outside world, starting with the settlement of Austronesians around the coast 2,000 to 4,000 years ago, and continuing into the historic era, where sultanates like Ternate had trading links with Western New Guinea. Everywhere else, these sort of first contacts resulted in waves of plague and population collapse, but aside from some Austronesian admixture in the coastal areas, there was just about no influence on Papuans.

That contact could have led to waves of plague, but spread out over a longer period - one of the advantage of being on an island where sailing times are a while. Which both makes the overall death toll lower, and allows the population some time to recover before the next epidemic.

Also, the New Guineans were farmers (okay, a lot of them were, though not all) which meant that they had a higher population density than their neighbours. Even with population collapse, they would still have been more numerous than any would-be Austronesian settlers. Plus, of course, Austronesians weren't noted for displacing any farming people anywhere very much (though the Solomons at least were a partial exception).

Hi Jared, love this story, simply amazing! Now, sorry if this is the wrong story I'm thinking about (took awhile too read all this, might be confused) but way earlier did you say that one of the civilizations had a counting system based on the number 8, not 10?

The Gunnagal (in Tjibarr) and their Five Rivers neighbours use a base 12 number system. This derives from their habit of counting knuckles on four fingers (the thumb is used to do the counting). Base 12 also has - according to its proponents - some advantages as a counting system - being divisible by more factors even than base 8.

The effects of this on interactions between Gunnagal and EUropeans will be covered at some point, though probably not for another decade or two when the intellectual exchange between Europe and Aururia really gets going. (This requires greater trade volumes, which are just starting, and more people who can translate documents both ways, which takes longer).

How well the base-12 system survives in the long run depends on how well the Gunnagal culture resists European influence. Which is still far from certain, though it's certainly in a better position than most other Aururian cultures.

Also, Halloween special :D ?

If I can think of something and have time to write it up. As I mentioned, I tried this before and didn't really get much in the way of inspiration. Nor is October a good month for me to do much in the way of writing at all, for various RL reasons. But we'll see.

mojojojo

Gone Fishin'
If I can think of something and have time to write it up. As I mentioned, I tried this before and didn't really get much in the way of inspiration. Nor is October a good month for me to do much in the way of writing at all, for various RL reasons. But we'll see.

Another Mighty Mouse special holiday cartoon?

The Gunnagal (in Tjibarr) and their Five Rivers neighbours use a base 12 number system. This derives from their habit of counting knuckles on four fingers (the thumb is used to do the counting). Base 12 also has - according to its proponents - some advantages as a counting system - being divisible by more factors even than base 8.

Was that your idea alone, or is there some historical basis? I ask because I've adopted this system (with adjustments) for counting in hexadecimal. It's very handy.

Another Mighty Mouse special holiday cartoon?

Possibly. But despite having some vague ideas and trying last year, I still haven't come up with something that interests me enough to write a post on it. And if I'm not interested in writing a post, there's not much point going any further. :)

Maybe it's just being an Oddstralian: Halloween doesn't have much meaning down here, so playing around with it doesn't engage my interest all that much.

Though I suppose that nothing says that a Halloween special has to be finished by Halloween.

Was that your idea alone, or is there some historical basis? I ask because I've adopted this system (with adjustments) for counting in hexadecimal. It's very handy.

There were historical antecedents. That's the traditional way of counting in Pakistan, for instance. They do it with only one hand, so a base 12 number system is kind of natural from there. (Though I don't know offhand whether Pakistan/India ever used a base-12 number system).

Almost everything in LoRaG has some sort of historical parallel, incidentally. Or extrapolation from OTL Aboriginal culture. Very few things are made up entirely from nothing.

Kiwis may mark Halloween, but it has never been big in Aussie; the last few years under the influence ( I think) of US TV programmes :eek:, it is more popular.
I dislike the change and if any knock on my door proceed to explain its origins - you know, Samhain, the eve of All Saints' Day. Strangely, the little darlings never return:confused:.
OTOH, I do find it amusing that the New Enlanders were so threatened by the Catholic All Saints Day that they resurrected a pagan festival:D.

Lands of Red and Gold #76: My Highland Home
Lands of Red and Gold #76: My Highland Home

This instalment represents the first half of what was meant to be a single post. Due to a few RL commitments, though, finishing this post has been delayed, so I'm posting the first half now. The second half will follow, hopefully in a week or so.

Aururia is the flattest and most low-lying continent in the world. It has few mountains, and most of those are hills in comparison to those on other continents, or even those on the failed continent whose highest regions rise above the waves to form Aotearoa.

Yet Aururia does have a few highland regions. The largest of these is the regions which another history will call the Monaro and Errinundra plateaus. Nestled below the highest peaks on the continent, these highlands are the source of the largest rivers in Aururia, the Nyalananga [Murray] and Matjidi [Murrumbidgee]. The height of these peaks catches enough rainfall and winter snowfall so that the Nyalananga and Matjidi, unlike many Aururian rivers, almost never run dry.

The reliability [1] of the Nyalananga meant that, over thousands of years, the dwellers alongside its banks were able to gradually domesticate one plant that they found there: the red yam. The slow, unconscious process of domestication meant that those lowland dwellers became semi-sedentary, and then in time they domesticated an entire package of crops. They became pioneering farmers. In time, their descendants would expand over much of the continent, bringing their crops and languages with them, and displacing the hunter-gatherers who formerly lived in those regions. Their crops would spread even further, to the south-west of Aururia, and to Aotearoa.

The highlands, though, were another matter. The key crop of lowland agriculture was the red yam. While that plant gave excellent yields in the lowlands, it required a long growing season for best results. It could tolerate snow cover during winter, but it needed a reasonably early melt in spring to start its growth. The altitude of the highlands meant that the early versions of red yams could not get reliably established there.

Despite several attempts, early Gunnagalic farmers could not maintain themselves in the highlands. Some migrants passed through the highlands to the low-lying coastal regions beyond, but they could not remain in the high country. For several centuries after farming was spreading across lowland Aururia, the highlands remained the preserve of hunter-gatherers who spoke other languages: Nguril and Kaoma.

Farming came late to the highlands, and largely through a stroke of chance. The red yam was the earliest and most important root crop in the lowlands, but it was not the only one they cultivated. Murnong is another staple Aururian root crop, whose above ground growth looks like a dandelion, but which produces edible tubers. The plant is more tolerant of cold than red yams, and there is an alpine-adapted subspecies of wild murnong which already grew in the highlands. In the upper Matjidi valley, a chance cross-breeding between a domesticated lowland murnong and a wild upland murnong produced a new strain of murnong, one which was suitable for farming even in the highlands.

The spread of upland murnong was slow; after all, it did not form a complete agricultural package. But cultivation of murnong allowed the highland dwellers to become hunter-gardeners, with food storage letting them support an increased population. Cold-adapted versions of cornnarts [wattles] followed over the next couple of centuries, together with several supplementary crops such as scrub nettles for leaves and fibre, and different strains of flax which yielded either large edible seeds or fibre. With these, the Nguril and Kaoma had adequate crops to become mostly sedentary farmers. Eventually, a cold-adapted version of the red yam was added to their farming package, but this happened a couple of centuries after the highlanders were already farmers.

However, while the Nguril and Kaoma had taken up farming, their agriculture was never as productive as that of the lowlands. The red yam had been adapted to a shorter growing season, but at the cost of a smaller tuber. The most important staple remained the lower-yielding murnong. The soils of the uplands were poorer, too. Farmers they were, but bountiful farmers they were not; they continued to gather more in the way of wild foods than lowlanders. Agricultural surpluses were smaller, and the population density was always less than in the Five Rivers lowlands.

The character of agriculture led to vastly different societies for highlands and lowlands. In the lowlands, large agricultural surpluses were combined with convenient riverine transport networks. The agricultural surpluses allowed a significant proportion of the lowland population to be non-farming specialists, while the ease of moving food by water allowed those specialists to live in several large cities and towns.

In the highlands, not only were agricultural surpluses smaller, they were less reliable from year to year. Without water transport or any beasts of burden other than dogs, moving food around was slow and expensive, and famines more common. The highlanders thus did not dwell in cities or large towns. They built some small villages where they met seasonally for markets and other commerce, and where a few specialists lived, such as smiths, leatherworkers and the like. But even those specialists would continue their activities from farms as often as not. Those agricultural surpluses which did exist were converted into caches of food held in dispersed locations to protect against crop failures or bushfires. Or, after states emerged in the lowlands, as protection against invasion.

For invasion from the lowlands was a common feature of highland life. Though it must be said that in turn, the hill men did plenty of raiding of their own into the lowlands. The states based along the Nyalananga and Matjidi often sent armies into the highlands. The names of those states sometimes changed – the Classical great cities of Gundabingee, Weenaratta and Garrkimang; the Imperial power of Watjubaga; the post-Imperial states of Yigutji and Gutjanal – but the drive into the highlands never seemed to end.

Yet while lowlanders could send armies into the highlands, converting that effort into a successful invasion was another matter. The highlands had no waterways to send food for an invading army, and what the highlands called roads were nothing but muddy tracks. Nor was there much in the way of real targets to conquer. The highlanders tended to scatter rather than come to pitched battle. Deploying troops into the few small towns was easy enough, but keeping them there for long was nothing but an invitation to starvation when food ran out. Tracking down the caches of food was challenging; the hill men concealed both caches and themselves well.

Invasion of the highlands was further complicated by the different timing of the seasons. The main campaigning season for lowland armies was during the winter. Then, the main root crops had died back to the ground, with their tubers harvested and replanted for the following year. The next harvest, of early-flowering cornnarts, would not begin until late spring. Winter was when food supplies were at their largest and the greatest part of the population could be spared from agricultural duties and levied into armies. But this was the time when snow covered the highlands, making an invasion foolhardy. Any would-be invaders had to wait until late spring, or better yet summer, when they had more reduced manpower and lower supplies of food to bring with them to the highlands.

Time and again, invading armies came to the same conclusion: easy to burn a few towns and farms, declare victory, and then head home; almost impossible to effect a lasting conquest.

The closest any lowlanders came to conquering the highlands was during the height of the Watjubaga Empire, under the First Speakers. After many previous failures, in the mid-eighth century the imperial armies succeeded in imposing a degree of control over the highlands. In keeping with imperial practice, this largely consisted of demanding tribute from local leaders. Such tribute would be regularly if grudgingly paid when imperial power was strong. But whenever the imperial power weakened due to rebellion, war, civil strife or simply a poor First Speaker, tribute payments ceased quickly, as the local leaders who had been paying tribute either led a revolt or lost their lives to revolts they could not stop. A fresh invasion would be required each time, beginning the difficult process over again. After about a century of intermittent control of the highlands, the imperial armies were pushed out in a rebellion in 887 AD, and they would never again have a lasting presence in the highlands.

The final lapse of imperial control over the highlands ushered in an era of the hill-men’s favourite pastime: raiding. This was an art form which the highlanders had practised long before the Empire appeared, but which was now encouraged because even the limited imperial rule had given the hill-men a taste for many of the goods available in the lowlands. Acquiring these goods through commerce was difficult for the highlanders. Their only significant export goods were the sweet peppers which grew better in the highlands than in the lowlands, and there were never enough of these to buy everything that the hill-men wanted. Instead, the highlanders often turned to a more ancient form of commerce, that known as “you get what you grab”.

The art of raiding was well-suited to the highlanders’ social structure, since this form of artistry was one which they practised on themselves as much as on the lowlanders. For the hill-men had some sense of commonality, in that they viewed themselves as separate from the lowlanders, but that did not make them friends. The hill-men gladly raided each other as much as they raided the lowlands.

Highland life was one of frequent raids, or at least the possibility of such raids. This led to a culture where all able-bodied men were expected to carry weapons and know how to use them, and who mostly had experience in carrying out raids or defending against them. This meant that in proportion to their population, the highlanders could mobilise much larger fighting forces than lowlanders, and do so at short notice. And most of those men [2] would be veterans.

Of course, the highlanders could not mobilise such forces for long. The demands of upland agriculture meant that most workers were needed in the fields for much of the year. But as with the lowlands, there was a campaigning season. In the lowlands, this season fell during winter. In the highlands, it was summer. For highland agriculture, early-flowering cornnarts were harvested in late November and early December, and the next harvest of late-flowering cornnarts did not begin until the end of February or early March.

This left a summer campaigning season where the hill-men could mobilise and go raiding. They usually took advantage of that opportunity. The highlanders could not sustain a long-term invasion of the highlands, but they could and did make many raids.

Culturally and for the most part genetically, the hill-men are descendants of the old Nguril and Kaoma-speaking hunter-gatherers who slowly took up farming during the era when Gunnagalic speakers were expanding across the continents. As speakers of non-Gunnagalic languages, they are in a distinct minority; only four such languages survived within the region which later history would call Gunnagalia.

The Nguril language, spoken mostly in the northern half of the highlands, is distantly related to the Bungudjimay language, whose speakers live a third of a continent away along the eastern coast. The Kaoma language, spoken mostly in the southern half of the highlands, is a linguistic isolate. No related languages survive; presumably they were swallowed during the Gunnagalic expansion. A couple of later linguists will claim that they find evidence of a Kaoma-related language as a substrate in the Wangalo language in the neighbouring eastern lowlands around Yuin-Bika [Bega, NSW], but those linguists will usually be dismissed as cranks.

Socially, the hill-men were long divided into a complex system of lineages and kinship groupings. These were viewed as being part of shared descent from famous named ancestors (some almost certainly mythical), and sometimes were linked to political leadership, but mostly dictated rules around intermarriage. Men from one lineage were forbidden to seek out wives from the same lineage, but could to choose from a set of other acceptable lineages. Usually on marriage a wife was considered to adopt her husband’s lineage, but there were provisions for some occasions where a husband would adopt the wife’s lineage, such as occasions when a leader of repute had only daughters.

Individual lineages were also considered part of larger kinship groupings, for which the Nguril and Kaoma names are usually translated as “tribes”. There were five of these groupings. Intermarriage was usually only permitted between lineages of the same tribe, although there were a few special exceptions where particular lineages had for some historical reason or other [3] allowed intermarriage with one or two lineages from other tribes. The main reason why the distinction between Nguril and Kaoma languages was preserved was because the two largest tribes were predominantly Nguril speakers, while the remaining three tribes were mostly Kaoma speakers, and intermarriage between them was so restricted that they remained linguistically separate (and mostly genetically, too).

In the late fourteenth century, the hill-men experienced their greatest social change since the end of imperial influence. In that era, the new Yadji Empire was emerging from its feudal predecessor, the Empire of the Lake. That empire had an old military caste, the briyuna, who were being forcibly retired from service by the new Yadji Regents [Emperors]. Many of them accepted that retirement, but some refused to give up their old ethos, and fled instead. Most of those exiles ended up in the highlands, where they became part of the hill-men.

The briyuna brought with them their own code of appropriate behaviour for warriors. Their ethos had also included the expectation that a briyuna would be literate, and they brought that view with them to the highlands. More importantly from the highlanders’ perspective, they also brought with them much better knowledge of iron-working, armour and weapons than the hill-men possessed on their own.

The briyuna integrated into highland society reasonably well. The intermarriage prohibitions of the highlands mostly applied to their own lineages; lowlanders were outside those lineages, and while there were few examples of intermarriage with lowlanders, they were not forbidden. Many of the briyuna found local wives. Even where they did not, their ethos still lived on via the hill-men they taught.

With the briyuna influence, the hill-men were still raiders, but they now viewed raiding as being as much for glory and honour as for plunder. The hill-men gradually adopted stricter codes of how a warrior should behave while raiding, although the strictest aspects of those codes applied to raids on other highlanders; the view of which codes applied to lowlanders was much looser. Thanks to briyuna influence, the hill-men also acquired a dislike of the Yadji realm, and they gradually increased their raids into imperial territory.

Some of the effects of briyuna influence were more symbolic. In their old realm, they adopted a system of banners to mark their allegiance, and as a rallying point in battle. While the hill-men did not adopt banners in the same way – they were of less use in the sort of raids the highlanders preferred – they did adopt a code of symbols for their men, to represent leader and lineage, modelled on the symbols of the old briyuna banners.

Politically, the government of the highlands has not changed that much even with the integration of the briyuna. The hill-men are mostly organised at the level of a village or small region controlled by a “chief”, or respected warleader. Most of the followers of a chief will be of the same lineage, although there are many examples of chiefs who have followers from many lineages, and even sometimes from different tribes.

Given the ever-shifting risks and endemic raiding of the highlands, a successful chief is one who has obtained the most glory in leading raids, and in protecting against raids on his own people. With the briyuna ethos gradually permeating the highland psyche, a leader is also viewed as one who behaves appropriately as a warrior, at least when dealing with other highlanders.

Swift indeed is the fate of a leader who fails in raids or becomes perceived as weak. This is an ancient tradition; even during imperial times, a leader who had been forced to concede tribute to the Empire would quickly lose his life if a revolt began and he did not join it. If a chief falls, new chiefs will quickly emerge to replace those who have lost power and life.

The highlands have no enduring political organisation above the level of chief. Sometimes more powerful chiefs manage to impose a level of control on neighbouring chiefs, whether through sheer prestige, or collaboration if lowlander attacks grow more threatening. Such control rarely lasts beyond the lifetime of a given chief, however; the power of a chief relies so much on personal prestige that it seldom transfers to a successor.

So far, this state of affairs has continued even after the first contact with the Raw Men. The highlanders cared very little for the events in distant Atjuntja lands, even where they heard of them. The gradual expansion of trade with the Raw Men likewise meant little to people who traditionally conducted commerce at the point of a dagger. The plagues spread even to the highlands, but while these were devastating, for some plagues the death toll was lower due to the lower population density in the highlands. The plagues have not yet meant that the highlands have reached the point of social breakdown.

With the growing trade links with Raw Men companies, and the outbreak of the Proxy Wars, highland society may soon change.

[1] Always a relative term when describing Aururian waterways.

[2] Or mostly men, anyway. Highlander women are often familiar enough with weapons to defend themselves on raids, but it is extremely rare for them to be permitted to “take up arms”, i.e. to be called to take part on a raid.

[3] Usually where a successful warleader had a bastard child with a mistress of another lineage, and still viewed that child as kin, and so arranged a deal where the warleader’s own lineage recognised intermarriage with the other given lineage.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

mojojojo

Gone Fishin'
This instalment represents the first half of what was meant to be a single post. Due to a few RL commitments, though, finishing this post has been delayed, so I'm posting the first half now. The second half will follow, hopefully in a week or so.

Thoughts?
What ever schedule works best for you. The things you give this site are solid gold:D

Swift indeed is the fate of a leader who fails in raids or becomes perceived as weak. This is an ancient tradition; even during imperial times, a leader who had been forced to concede tribute to the Empire would lose his life as part of the revolt that began whenever it appeared that imperial control had weakened.

Thoughts?

The rule defined above seems unworkable to me. It would mean that any leader who makes an accommodation with the Empire must become an absolute Empire loyalist; he lives and dies with Imperial power.

Thus no one ever would.

Also, it seems to prohibit a chief from leading a rebellion. Is that intended?

The rule defined above seems unworkable to me. It would mean that any leader who makes an accommodation with the Empire must become an absolute Empire loyalist; he lives and dies with Imperial power.

Thus no one ever would.

Also, it seems to prohibit a chief from leading a rebellion. Is that intended?
If the Empire is laying waste to your area, you may have only two options, submit or die (possibly by starvation).

Given that periods of Imperial domination were probably longer than the expected length of rule of a single chief, it probably makes sense to go Empire. I would imagine that you dont get to be a chief normally until age forty or so, and chiefs older than say sixty are likely not strong enough to hold off challengers.

Besides. Empire loyalist!? These guys will keep tribute to the Empire as low as possible, and keep as much wiggle room as possible. As long as the Empire gets 'enough' tribute, the chief can survive. If they dont, a new expedition will arrive to install a new chief. Probably a deposed one's son, nephew or cousin.