L’Aigle Triomphant: A Napoleonic Victory TL

Also, perhaps in this timeline the Inca Plan gets more traction.
this plan is insane, i like it. But if that happens, the whitest part of the la plata region, buenos aires will revolt. Another problem will be attracting European immigration to a country with a non-white monarch considering the period. But if this nation manages to keep chile, peru, part of bolivia and argentina, the pacific will have one more competitor. remembering that chile almost went to war with usa. the nation will not have the strength of the portuguese brazil but it will be a great player in asia. inca philippines would be epic.
inca hawaii as well . a possible panama canal is going to be something that this nation would definitely support. If she manages to keep control of part of the Asian market, we have a nation that can make a lot of money in Europe. If it focuses on asia I don't think it will have problems with portuguese brazil, a nation that has two focuses in my opinion south america ( the southern cone, acre and keep the current territory) and african colonies ( angola and mozambic).
the biggest competitor of this nation will be mexico or usa in asia

Last edited:
before conquering uruguay portugal was united with spain and after its independence the relationship between portugal and spain was something more than friendly, something like a brotherly relationship. So there is no reason to be afraid of loss of contact between the states of Brazil.
Portugal enters Uruguay for the first time seriously in 1811 for fear of Spain being conquered by Napoleon.But it only really goes to war and conquers Uruguay in 1816 when its long-time ally Spain loses control of the colonia de la plata (Argentina+Chile+Uruguay) to maintain control of the rivers.
Uruguay became independent with the help of Argentina in 1828 (after the Brazilian War of Independence that lasted from 1821 to 1825) but in the agreement, uruguay becomes a buffer state and declares neutrality in relation to the rivers, thus ensuring Brazilian access. Brasil invades uruguay again in 1864 when uruguay is in a civil war and the pro brazilian ( pro neutrality) side has a chance of losing. Having the mission to install a government for neutrality (something that was supported by Argentina). they managed to do that in less than a year.

i doubt portugal wanted to ask permission every time it need to go to one of their states. Something that is done several times a year bringing resources, settlers, weapons etc. Especially the spain of this timeline that helped in the invasion of portugal and is in favor of napoleon.
It would be the same as surrendering to napoleon. When one nation needs authorization from another to communicate with its states , the nation it asks forthe permission is a vassal state in all but name.

the conquest of uruguay threatens buenos aires which is the heart of argentina. Preventing argentina from doing something out of the ordinary.

brazil and portugal wanted these regions because they were the most fertile in south america. they wanted as well the Mesopotamian region(very fertile as well)

the population of argentina in 1820 was 0.57 million people. Brazil in the same period was 4.58 million, considering that more Portuguese came to Brazil in this time line, I would put the population at about 4.6 million (Portugal had 3.29 million many who will immigrate to Brazil to escape Spain and Napoleon). The brazil of this timeline has the population and has the portuguese armed forces which for the americas is the same as having the napoleonic army.

it will not be full blowm , spain it is not a free state to make its choices is a french vassal , the overlord will use the spanish forces as it pleases. Spain is not going to take most of the army and sail to Brazil to defend Argentina (especially considering that ships is something that France is lacking and Spain has one of the only functional ones in Europe, so the only way to France allow this invasion is if it is a part of the invasion, this brings the British to war,and we know the result of battles between france and uk in the water)

they have fewer veterans, but a european force is much more trained than a colonial guard

Buenos Aires did not let Portugal conquer Uruguay, the nation was unable to prevent the conquest.
it's not going to be a war between spain and the colonies. Spain has the problems that I mentioned above and in relation to the colonies, what will Spain do to take troops out of cupa or mexico, leaving it to the us, uk or revolutionaries?It's not possible
the parts in yellow are habitable and the rest up to the late 20st century are impassable areas for an army, hence the importance of navigable rivers. if spain wants to move part of the chilean guard to argentina it has to do it by ships or literally lose most of the army because of attrition.
spain has a better situation at home but in the colonies the situation is not good the only positive so far is the fact that no mega revolution has taken place.the only revenge that i see would be to annex portugal. apart from that there is nothing that spain can do that would prevent a portuguese advance to the southern cone.And if by chance the annexation of Portugal would only create more reasons for the exiled Portuguese to want to steal more of the Spanish Empire
View attachment 737244
respectfully, you're all wet on a lot of this.

Portugal had been separate from Spain since mid 1680's. Portugal had a presence in Uruguay (Colonia del Sacremento) since mid-late 1600s.

Uruguay had been disputed between Spain and Portugal from the beginning, and several minor war were fought over it during the 1700s. In 1776, Spain came out victorious in that war, kicking Portugal out of Colonia del Sacramento).

I don't disagree that Portugal doesn't want it's river transportation compromised, but that is exactly the situation before, during, and after the Cisplatine Wars.

The mesopotamia region was not coveted in addition to Entre Rios/Corrientes/missiones. Those provinces were mesopotamia. And, while fertile, they were not the most fertile. Entre Rios came close, but the Pampas region south of Buenos Aires was king.

Buenos Aires, by agreement, turned its back on Uruguay. In return for Portugal promising not to encroach on Entre Rios, Buenos Aires sent minimal aid to Uruguay. Artigas was threatening a loose federation, while the leaders of Buenos Aires wanted a strong centralized gov't.

The European trained troops of Britain (the same country that came in and saved Portugal on more than one occasion) failed miserably in attempting to conquer Argentina/Buenos Aires.

Portugal had been separate from Spain since mid 1680's. Portugal had a presence in Uruguay (Colonia del Sacremento) since mid-late 1600s.
yes both wanted uruguay
Uruguay had been disputed between Spain and Portugal from the beginning, and several minor war were fought over it during the 1700s. In 1776, Spain came out victorious in that war, kicking Portugal out of Colonia del Sacramento).
yep
The mesopotamia region was not coveted in addition to Entre Rios/Corrientes/missiones. Those provinces were mesopotamia. And, while fertile, they were not the most fertile. Entre Rios came close, but the Pampas region south of Buenos Aires was king.
I always thought that the mesopotamian region was more interesting than the pampas of buenos aires. ok so the most important thing is the pambas good to know.
Buenos Aires, by agreement, turned its back on Uruguay. In return for Portugal promising not to encroach on Entre Rios, Buenos Aires sent minimal aid to Uruguay. Artigas was threatening a loose federation, while the leaders of Buenos Aires wanted a strong centralized gov't.
the Argentine Civil War (1814–1880) between the federalistas and the unitarios for centralization in buenos aires lasted more than 70 years. Obviously with periods with different intensities
The European trained troops of Britain (the same country that came in and saved Portugal on more than one occasion) failed miserably in attempting to conquer Argentina/Buenos Aires.
they didn't fail miserably in the first invasion, buenos aires was taken and the colony was not lost only due to the viceroy not being captured who was fleeing with the treasure. if the British had caught the viceroy the invasion would have been a success with all due respect. the non-capture of the viceroy allowed the Spaniards to organize and have money for the war.

Last edited:
they didn't fail miserably in the first invasion, buenos aires was taken and the colony was not lost only due to the viceroy not being captured who was fleeing with the treasure. if the British had caught the viceroy the invasion would have been a success with all due respect. the non-capture of the viceroy allowed the Spaniards to organize and have money for the war.
They succeeded initially because of the element of surprise.
They failed in the first invasion because it was a rogue adventure and unsupported. By the time news got back to Britain and additional resources allocated to be sent, the locals in Buenos Aires realized they controlled the situation. The British realized they had bitten off more than they could chew, and more or less capitulated to the locals. The viceroy had nothing to do with it, which went a long way toward convincing the colonials they didn't need Spain. Running caused the locals to lose all respect. It was a low point in a low situation.

After that, there would be no easy victory/subjugation, by Britain, Spain, or Portugal.

But, we're at risk of derailing a TL, so I'll drop it. I don't think Portugal/Brazil is capable (for quite a while) of taking much of Spanish South America. Not in OTL. Not in TTL And there's no need to. Opinions may vary.

They succeeded initially because of the element of surprise.
They failed in the first invasion because it was a rogue adventure and unsupported. By the time news got back to Britain and additional resources allocated to be sent, the locals in Buenos Aires realized they controlled the situation. The British realized they had bitten off more than they could chew, and more or less capitulated to the locals. The viceroy had nothing to do with it, which went a long way toward convincing the colonials they didn't need Spain. Running caused the locals to lose all respect. It was a low point in a low situation.

After that, there would be no easy victory/subjugation, by Britain, Spain, or Portugal.

But, we're at risk of derailing a TL, so I'll drop it. I don't think Portugal/Brazil is capable (for quite a while) of taking much of Spanish South America. Not in OTL. Not in TTL And there's no need to. Opinions may vary.
But that's just it, they aren't aiming for a whole conquest of south America or it's most valuable parts, instead they're after two underpopulated areas that in the case of Uruguay they can reach the most easily and can sail up the river to get to Paraguay, and as previously mentioned in one of my posts, Spain's colonies already are in a state of unrest and self pride due to fighting off the British, with the exception of Buenos Aires, I don't see neither Spain nor the other colonies moving to try and stop the luso Brazilians.

But that's just it, they aren't aiming for a whole conquest of south America or it's most valuable parts, instead they're after two underpopulated areas that in the case of Uruguay they can reach the most easily and can sail up the river to get to Paraguay, and as previously mentioned in one of my posts, Spain's colonies already are in a state of unrest and self pride due to fighting off the British, with the exception of Buenos Aires, I don't see neither Spain nor the other colonies moving to try and stop the luso Brazilians.
I did like @holycookie’s map from earlier as a baseline best case for where this Giga-Brazil could end up, but even then it’d likely not be until the late 19th century

I did like @holycookie’s map from earlier as a baseline best case for where this Giga-Brazil could end up, but even then it’d likely not be until the late 19th century
the map of that brazil was made whith the intension of unlocking a maritime highway into the Brazilian interior.
the bolivia part of the map was made taking in to account that bolivia never won a war, losing to paraguay ( lost 60% of the population) after the war of the triple alliance.
the paraguay and la plata river would be like the mississippi river for the usa. the only thing this mega brazil doesn't have would be coal in large quantities.
Therefore, it will industrialize but not become the a giant of the industry as the USA.
The nation would have a better racial relationship, with more social mobility for blacks and pardos*in particular*( people of mixed origins , this mix is made up of children between whites, blacks and natives (it's kind of like the lower middle class of the colony at the time))
If this nation wants coal, it will have to find it in Africa. Angola and Mozambique don't have coal I think. The closest place with a lot of coal is Madagascar If i am not wrong.
which is good, it would be kind of repetitive if mega brazil basically becomes usa 2.0. But it won't due to the fact of the country's geography and resources. That will pull it to another path and it's a monarchy in America which is a super cool concept.

speaking of america how is the land of the bald eagle?

Last edited:
the map of that brazil was made whith the intension of unlocking a maritime highway into the Brazilian interior.
the bolivia part of the map was made taking in to account that bolivia never won a war, losing to paraguay ( lost 60% of the population) after the war of the triple alliance.
the paraguay and la plata river would be like the mississippi river for the usa. the only thing this mega brazil doesn't have would be coal in large quantities.
Therefore, it will industrialize but not become the a giant of the industry as the USA.
The nation would have a better racial relationship, with more social mobility for blacks and pardos*in particular*( people of mixed origins , this mix is made up of children between whites, blacks and natives (it's kind of like the lower middle class of the colony at the time))
If this nation wants coal, it will have to find it in Africa. Angola and Mozambique don't have coal I think. The closest place with a lot of coal is Madagascar If i am not wrong.
which is good, it would be kind of repetitive if mega brazil basically becomes usa 2.0. But it won't due to the fact of the country's geography and resources. That will pull it to another path and it's a monarchy in America which is a super cool concept.

I've argued in the past that Brazil has everything it needs, physically, to be a great power, with the glaring exception of coal. It has a LOT of mineral resources, and a lot of arable land. The mountainous geography is a hindrance, but the biggest impediment to greatness is the people. As of 1800, it is mired in a socio-economic system not conducive to grand development. They lack a true middle class, but this has been partially remedied by the artisan class remaining instead of returning to Portugal with the crown. They are woefully behind in education. It is a slave economy, soon to be joined by an abusive indentured servitude coffee economy. This is a transplanted Portugal that, let's face it, hasn't been anything to write home about for a long, long time.

I've written a lot of Brazil wank TLs in my head, and admire your enthusiasm. There's a lot of human problems to solve, though, and they're going to be a lot harder to overcome than geography and coal. Certainly doable. Believe me, I love a good Brazil cinderella story, but realism is key.

This Brazil will have the Portuguese colonial empire attached to it, and a gov't likely to foster manufacture. Britain will ensure that the colonies don't stay with a Napoleon controlled Portugal. Britain won't be thrilled about a developing Brazil, and will look to stymie manufacturing growth, but such growth will happen. The empire could end up being a drag, long term (or maybe not), but the Brazil-Angola connection not being disrupted will be a good thing short term.

A factor in this new Brazil is that Britain will likely be looking to assert global colonial dominance, since its influence in Europe has been minimized. This means Spanish America is a prime target. They'll aid, or at least not inhibit, Brazilian expansion. So Brazil will have that going for it.

I’ve intentionally tried to avoid touching on the US as much as possible since my other two TLs are very US centric (especially Bicentennial Man) but I’ll have to touch on it soon

I've argued in the past that Brazil has everything it needs, physically, to be a great power, with the glaring exception of coal. It has a LOT of mineral resources, and a lot of arable land. The mountainous geography is a hindrance, but the biggest impediment to greatness is the people. As of 1800, it is mired in a socio-economic system not conducive to grand development. They lack a true middle class, but this has been partially remedied by the artisan class remaining instead of returning to Portugal with the crown. They are woefully behind in education. It is a slave economy, soon to be joined by an abusive indentured servitude coffee economy. This is a transplanted Portugal that, let's face it, hasn't been anything to write home about for a long, long time.

I've written a lot of Brazil wank TLs in my head, and admire your enthusiasm. There's a lot of human problems to solve, though, and they're going to be a lot harder to overcome than geography and coal. Certainly doable. Believe me, I love a good Brazil cinderella story, but realism is key.

This Brazil will have the Portuguese colonial empire attached to it, and a gov't likely to foster manufacture. Britain will ensure that the colonies don't stay with a Napoleon controlled Portugal. Britain won't be thrilled about a developing Brazil, and will look to stymie manufacturing growth, but such growth will happen. The empire could end up being a drag, long term (or maybe not), but the Brazil-Angola connection not being disrupted will be a good thing short term.

A factor in this new Brazil is that Britain will likely be looking to assert global colonial dominance, since its influence in Europe has been minimized. This means Spanish America is a prime target. They'll aid, or at least not inhibit, Brazilian expansion. So Brazil will have that going for it.
Brazil as a giant British catspaw, essentially

Brazil as a giant British catspaw, essentially
within reason.

Britain teamed up with Portugal/Brazil to take French Guiana. They also forced P/B to cough it up in Vienna. I suspect they'll have no problem doing the same in ATL if it helps make the peace. But, maybe here P/B gets to keep it - perhaps as a forced trade of mainland Portugal, to make the Portugal takeover legal.

Realistically, the only direction P/B can exert influence is toward the Viceroyalty of La Plata. Although the excuse of self rule junta in place of a deposed King is not there, I imagine there's still a rebellion simmering there, which Britain will look to exploit. This will probably mean arming the rebels, and encouraging P/B to be aggressive in resolving border issues. Once Argentina/Paraguay/Uruguay achieve independence in whatever combination, Britain will be looking to work them into a British trade sphere, and will have no further use of P/B as a military tool, and will discourage P/B gains. P/B's best hope for gains is to have Spain maintain some nominal control, as they would be a common foe. Spanish rebels will also be a British cats paw, and they will not coordinate willingly with the portuguese, nor gladly give territorial consessions.

Once peace reigns in Europe, British aid will be covert, not full scale partnership. They, perhaps, will help train up a P/B army.

but the biggest impediment to greatness is the people. As of 1800, it is mired in a socio-economic system not conducive to grand development. They lack a true middle class, but this has been partially remedied by the artisan class remaining instead of returning to Portugal with the crown.
yes the middle class size of this nation was pathetic, with portuguese artisans it is in a better situation, but not great
They are woefully behind in education.
education in brazil only made progress with pedro II
It is a slave economy, soon to be joined by an abusive indentured servitude coffee economy. This is a transplanted Portugal that, let's face it, hasn't been anything to write home about for a long, long time.
I read in a study that I don't remember the name. in which it shows the relationship between the acceptance and regulation of extreme violence and slavery in the Americas. Considering that Brazil was the country that gained the largest amount of slaves. Four out of ten slaves on the American continent were from Brazil. It was also the most brutal of all the slave nations of America. Unlike the confederates, slaves were cheap in Brazil and the idea was not to maintain a constant population, but to keep replenishing them over time. the way brazil treated its lesser slaves would probably make the confederates become abolusionists, such was the brutality
There's a lot of human problems to solve, though, and they're going to be a lot harder to overcome than geography and coal. Certainly doable. Believe me, I love a good Brazil cinderella story, but realism is key.
coal in particular will be a hard focus of portugal
Britain won't be thrilled about a developing Brazil, and will look to stymie manufacturing growth, but such growth will happen. The empire could end up being a drag, long term (or maybe not), but the Brazil-Angola connection not being disrupted will be a good thing short term.
yes the uk will focus heavily on colonies. But if I'm not mistaken, portugal is literally the only european ally of the british.the united kingdom will have to find a middle ground not to alienate portugal. The question will be to see if Portugal will want greater independence now that the English are weaker and have been unable to defend Lisbon from the French.
I think the caribbean would be something the united kingdom would love to have together with the west indies. the Portuguese and English may either separate in the long run or have become each other's shadow.
the second is more likely considering uk has no other ally, but the loss of lisbon will be something the portuguese will remember so the first could still happen

within reason.

Britain teamed up with Portugal/Brazil to take French Guiana. They also forced P/B to cough it up in Vienna. I suspect they'll have no problem doing the same in ATL if it helps make the peace. But, maybe here P/B gets to keep it - perhaps as a forced trade of mainland Portugal, to make the Portugal takeover legal.
that will depend on whether it will get the metropolis back. If the portuguese t dont get back , they will not want to give nothing in return.
Realistically, the only direction P/B can exert influence is toward the Viceroyalty of La Plata.
ye this region and the colonies in africa.
Although the excuse of self rule junta in place of a deposed King is not there, I imagine there's still a rebellion simmering there, which Britain will look to exploit. This will probably mean arming the rebels, and encouraging P/B to be aggressive in resolving border issues. Once Argentina/Paraguay/Uruguay achieve independence in whatever combination, Britain will be looking to work them into a British trade sphere, and will have no further use of P/B as a military tool, and will discourage P/B gains.
P/B's best hope for gains is to have Spain maintain some nominal control, as they would be a common foe. Spanish rebels will also be a British cats paw, and they will not coordinate willingly with the portuguese, nor gladly give territorial consessions.

Once peace reigns in Europe, British aid will be covert, not full scale partnership. They, perhaps, will help train up a P/B army.
The question for the future is to see if Portugal will want to exercise greater independence in the long term. For example, if Portugal feels that the British are trying to play them to the wolves, it can try to become independent.

how will uk deal with the abolitionist factor. Portugal is not going to want to stop transporting slaves from the African colonies to Brazil especially now that it has to basically turbocharge the colony into a metropolis. considering the work needed to turn brazil into a metropolis, roads/infrastructure/ports/forts/universities etc will have to be built, this will create a need for many slaves. This will make Portugal buy all the possible slaves.
A slave lasted between 5 and 10 years in Brazil and in the USA about 33 years (counting from the moment the slave arrived at the port)
the most bizarre thing is that former slaves became slave owners too. so john the slave is released for some reason and the first time he has money he would buy slaves.
In Brazil it was a fundamental part of the functioning of the nation.
About 80% of slaves of both sexes were economically active, which is an extraordinarily high participation rate.
so the slaves were part of the consumer market. Slavery in Brazil is really bizarre. It has more similarities with the one made by the Romans than with the American one.

It should be also noticed, that it was the gains made by the coffee plantations that allowed Brazil to start industrializing in the first place, alongside better education, government incentives to wannabe businessmen (although the most notable example, the Baron of Mauá did get ruined latter on because of his disagreement with Pedro II) and the buildup of infrastructure.

It should also be noticed that the industrialization was mostly concentrated on the southeast and south of the country while the rest of the country barely got industries, only in the last decades has this changed.

As far as I know Brazil will make all of it's neighbors either be united or allied against them since they took their lands and resources as well with Britain and the former Coalitions allies.

As far as I know Brazil will make all of it's neighbors either be united or allied against them since they took their lands and resources as well with Britain and the former Coalitions allies.
perhaps, the whole problem with wars in south america is logistics. The reason for example that the countries of gran colombia (venezuela, colombia and ecuador) never went to war with brazil is because the amazon prevents the movement of troops.The only countries that borders allow to go to war with brazil are argentina, uruguay, paraguay and more difficultly bolivia.
so the only way to fight with brazil is at sea.
1651237776151.png

South america basically has four focus of "civilization" the east of south america, the most fertile region (where OTL brazil, argentina uruguay and paraguay are located.)
the west further south, chile. The region of peru and bolivia (they were once a single country but it only lasted 4 years) and the one in the north, which is from the countries of gran colombia, the rest until the 21st century is kind of impossible to mass large amounts of troops due to attrition
this is so influential that exist two econimic blocs in south america. There is Mercosur between brazil,argentina,uruguay and paraguay. and the second block is the Andean community that is made up of Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador and Peru.
1651238537989.png
1651238574011.png

how will things be going with russia, without germany to threaten russia will be a very big monster. being able to suck a lot of money from china (maybe even taking all of manchuria) and expand the south of asia. Russia currently lacks the Turkish Khanades. and then the country can start trying to have a port for Asia. Maybe through persia
Is India already taken over by the British? because the control of india will be something vital for the british , a port in china would be useful too ( like macau)
I don't think that with this France , Germany will be able to unite.
mexico will have a lively century in north america, the british, american, possible independence ,france etc.
maybe canada can be bigger in this reality

how will things be going with russia, without germany to threaten russia will be a very big monster. being able to suck a lot of money from china (maybe even taking all of manchuria) and expand the south of asia. Russia currently lacks the Turkish Khanades. and then the country can start trying to have a port for Asia. Maybe through persia
Is India already taken over by the British? because the control of india will be something vital for the british , a port in china would be useful too ( like macau)
I don't think that with this France , Germany will be able to unite.
mexico will have a lively century in north america, the british, american, possible independence ,france etc.
maybe canada can be bigger in this reality
Britain was by 1815 certainly the dominant European state in India but this is still forty years before Plassey so plenty of time for other states to get small footholds too