Well to be fair, they're in the company of plenty of "liberators" in that respect.

:extremelyhappy:

Silesia at least IIRC was... mostly happy to see the Austrians gone, as they were largely Protestant and Maria Theresa was about as rabidly Catholic as you got in the 18th century.

Ironically enough Frederick himself didn't really give a hoot about religion despite cynically framing the conquest of Silesia as "religious liberation" in Pro-Prussian propaganda.

Well if Theodore is eyeing his legacy then Don Federico, who's wife grew up an illegitimate child in the French court just like Theodore, and who has access to a Continental source of money, and who has made neither friend nor enemy of the Corsican Notabli, seems like the strongest choice for continuing the Theodorian institutions, such as they are. Plus, though this is unlikely to be something Theodore really cares about, his sisters and progeny can help bind the lines of claimants together.

This is really interesting, thank you. I'm new to Jewish history, particularly 18th century Jewish history, so I'm very open to ideas on how to interpret the butterflies of Theodore's "emancipation." The idea of the Corsican community being targeted for "aid and investment" is certainly interesting - no doubt Corsica needs investment, but I do wonder whether a lot of money flowing in to aid the Jewish community would not cause some disgruntlement among the native Corsicans, whose own government can hardly shower them with its largesse.

I figured that the leadership of the Ajaccio community would probably fall to Livornesi Jews (including the Tunisian grana), who are economically and socially dominant in the region, and there are a few more figures from Livorno who will be showing up in the 1760s. I'm not at all clear whether Theodore's policies would actually attract Jewish immigration from further afield; no doubt Theodore would welcome it, but such immigrants might prove more controversial than the essentially "Italian" Livornesi Jews. If they do arrive, I wonder whether there will be friction with the "original" Livornesi-Grana colony; most of the figures of the Haskalah I've read of (admittedly not all that many) are Ashkenazi from central Europe, and I wonder how well their ideas and influence would be received by a community of Italian and African Sephardim. One possibility is that, if "northern" Jewish immigration does occur, it may shift to other locations on the island - Bastia, for instance - where such immigrants could put their ideas into practice beyond the reach of the Livornesi elite in Ajaccio.

In any case, I appreciate your contribution, and you're welcome to offer more suggestions any time.

Thank you for your kind reply. A few thoughts

-I think it's likely that even in TTL, the English Naturalization Bill of 1753 fails to survive and is voted down in the subsequent sitting of Parliament. That being said, the fact that this temporary defeat occurs right as Theodore's policies towards Jews are becoming more and more of a reality is going to energize the English Sephardic Community. People like Sampson Gideon and the Goldschmid family are likely going to be among those I mentioned earlier investing in the Jewish Community of Corsica. I could very easily see them and others (perhaps Tobias Boas or "Cassanova's Rebbe" one of the most prominent "Court Jews" in Holland) sponsoring Jewish immigration to the region. They also might be easily persuaded to invest in the Corsican economy as well. Full scale Ashkenazi or even large scale Sephardic immigration to Corsica is unlikely IMO even with sponsorship unless something major changes in Europe. That being said Jews and Gentiles interested in Jewish emancipation are going to see Corsica as a test case and will be doing everything that they can to make sure it succeeds.

-Though the Haskalah was largely an Ashkenazi in OTL, TTL's emancipation of Corsican Jews will certainly make Amsterdam and it's Sephardic community more influential. Shmuel Feiner in his book The Jewish Enlightenment coined the term "Early Haskalah" to refer to the various networks of proto-maskalim. Theodore's Jewish policy is going to galvanize them much like Joseph II's policies did in the 1780s only decades earlier. Naphtali Hirz Wessely who in OTL wrote an 8 page response to Joseph II's policies that argued for an expansion of Jewish education is alive but doesn't have the reputation to publish something so controversial. Judah Herwitz (who was educated in Padua!) is in a similar situation. David Franco Mendes on the other hand has the right intellectual leanings and reputation to publish a similar treatise in TTL that uses Theodore's policies of civil equality to argue for reforms to Jewish learning (perhaps he could be the one who calls Theodore "The German Cyrus"? I don't know if you had anyone else in mind...) Though many might decry this publication as heresy, Jacob Saraval of Mantua and others like Jacob Emden likely defend him. Furthermore given that Italian rabbis defended Wessely in OTL from charges of heresy, I think TTL's more Sephardic Haskalah is going to be well received in Italy. If this publication is received well in the Ashkenazic world it could also jump start the Haskalah there. Mendellsohn in TTL would then be seen as building off the work of Mendes and others who called for reform in the aftermath of Theodore's emancipation. Long term this could lead to more Jews having secular education earlier than OTL and earlier efforts elsewhere to tolerate Jews.

This is very fascinating. I am loving how much I am learning of the intricacies of various 18th century events and policies from this timeline and the various discussions regarding it.

Now that you mention it, I have been considering the notion of doing something with Dutch politics. They got a pretty raw deal: William IV was far from a great leader but his death at 40 and the succession of his son William V at the age of three was pretty unhelpful. William IV surviving longer might be an interesting change, and given that our POD is in 1736, 12 years before his son's birth, we may have a totally different (and perhaps older, if his birth is earlier) William V. I'm not particularly well-read on Dutch politics but a stabler and more competent Dutch leadership in the late 18th century might be able to at least mitigate the state's decline.

I have this book: https://www.amazon.com/Dutch-Republic-Greatness-1477-1806-History/dp/0198207344 Which is a solid doorstopper. Can look up any information from it you want.

First off Carp, this an amazing timeline. Every update is like a delicious dessert; eagerly awaited and utterly delightful.

Regarding the Corsican succession, if Theodore doesn't have a surviving child, how closely related are Don Matteo and Don Federico? From what I recall, they aren't first cousins. If so, then Matteo's son might be of age when Theodore dies, and you could name him heir and have him betrothed to Federico and Elisabeth's daughter, uniting the two main branches of the house and not favour any of the 'nephews' over the other. Of course, there's a few years between (checks names) Francesco and Maria Anna, which is why I say betrothal.

Though, if Don Giovan produces a child in Theodore's lifetime, then it would be a snub against him, and if the betrothal is broken off after Theodore's death, then it's a snub against Don Federico. There's potential for all sorts of drama down that road.

I'm just spitballing here, but I can't help it; this has become one of my favourite timelines.

EDIT: Actually Federico and Elisabeth are cousins already aren't they? So marrying their daughter to her putative second cousin is keeping it in the family a little too much, isn't it?

Last edited:
First off Carp, this an amazing timeline. Every update is like a delicious dessert; eagerly awaited and utterly delightful.

Thank you!

Regarding the Corsican succession, if Theodore doesn't have a surviving child, how closely related are Don Matteo and Don Federico? From what I recall, they aren't first cousins. If so, then Matteo's son might be of age when Theodore dies, and you could name him heir and have him betrothed to Federico and Elisabeth's daughter, uniting the two main branches of the house and not favour any of the 'nephews' over the other. Of course, there's a few years between (checks names) Francesco and Maria Anna, which is why I say betrothal.

The exact relationship of Matthias von Drost has always been unclear to me. He is sometimes described as Theodore's "nephew," but at the time that word was used broadly to mean "cousin" or even just "male relation." Where exactly Matthias fits on the family tree remains a mystery. "Von Drost" seems to suggest he may have been the son of Franz Bernhard, Frederick's father, who was informally called the "Baron von Drost," but no source I've ever seen suggests that Franz Bernhard had a son named Matthias or that Frederick and Matthias were brothers. I found one old French source which claimed Drost was some maternal cousin of Theodore's, like four or five generations back, but I've never corroborated that anywhere else. It seems plausible, however, especially since Matthias was (as far as I can tell) never referred to with the family name of "Neuhoff." Matthias's own history is hard to trace; all I really know about him is that he was involved in the Tuscan army before Theodore was even king, which is kind of a weird place for a Westphalian to be. The Genoese claimed he was not Theodore's kinsman at all, but a Corsican or Livornesi named "Salvini," which seems unlikely; they were probably confusing him with some actual Corsicans named Salvini.

For the purposes of this TL, I have assumed that Matthias is a fairly distant relation of Theodore - his third or fourth cousin, perhaps - and thus the coefficient of relationship between him and Frederick is quite low (the CoR diminishes geometrically; for first cousins it's 12.5%, but for third cousins only 0.78%). Of course there is already a certain amount of inbreeding in the Neuhoff line; the various Neuhoff branches (von und zu Neuhoff, Neuhoff zu Pungelscheid, Neuhoff gennant Ley, etc.) tended to intermarry every few generations, and they all tended to marry within the same circle of Westphalian families. Still, even among such a rather limited family tree a marriage of fourth or fifth cousins is not really cause for concern.

Frederick and Elisabeth are far closer; as first cousins once removed their CoR is 6.25%. Still, it's hardly a problem. The effect of inbreeding is often misunderstood - you don't get Charles II from marrying your cousin, you get Charles II by repeatedly marrying cousins (and nieces/nephews) until your family tree looks more like a family wreath. A marriage between the children of Matthias and Frederick would be only slightly more inbred than Frederick's kids already are, so from a medical perspective that's not really an issue unless it starts becoming a habit. Still, if Frederick's kids do end up succeeding they will be heavily incentivized to marry outside the family so as to acquire some royal ties and the legitimacy that comes with that; Neuhoffs marrying Neuhoffs might smooth a few domestic feathers but it's a bad idea for the dynasty as a whole.

Frederick and Elisabeth are far closer; as first cousins once removed their CoR is 6.25%. Still, it's hardly a problem. The effect of inbreeding is often misunderstood - you don't get Charles II from marrying your cousin, you get Charles II by repeatedly marrying cousins (and nieces/nephews) until your family tree looks more like a family wreath. A marriage between the children of Matthias and Frederick would be only slightly more inbred than Frederick's kids already are, so from a medical perspective that's not really an issue unless it starts becoming a habit. Still, if Frederick's kids do end up succeeding they will be heavily incentivized to marry outside the family so as to acquire some royal ties and the legitimacy that comes with that; Neuhoffs marrying Neuhoffs might smooth a few domestic feathers but it's a bad idea for the dynasty as a whole.

I would make a redneck joke about this, but I really don't want to go there...

On a side note, this is a good TL, focusing on a corner of the world that doesn't get much attention in some TLs...

Frederick and Elisabeth are far closer; as first cousins once removed their CoR is 6.25%. Still, it's hardly a problem. The effect of inbreeding is often misunderstood - you don't get Charles II from marrying your cousin, you get Charles II by repeatedly marrying cousins (and nieces/nephews) until your family tree looks more like a family wreath.

Yeah, as inbred as the Hapsburgs were at that point, Charles II mightn't have happened if one parent had been from an equally inbred, but entirely different family. I think Now Blooms the Tudor Rose did something like that; a Spanish Hapsburg marrying a Valois princess. The babies aren't necessarily perfect, but have considerably more genetic diversity than their parents.

A marriage between the children of Matthias and Frederick would be only slightly more inbred than Frederick's kids already are, so from a medical perspective that's not really an issue unless it starts becoming a habit. Still, if Frederick's kids do end up succeeding they will be heavily incentivized to marry outside the family so as to acquire some royal ties and the legitimacy that comes with that; Neuhoffs marrying Neuhoffs might smooth a few domestic feathers but it's a bad idea for the dynasty as a whole.

So is Frederick considered most likely successor by the Corsicans (if not Theodore) at this point? He had married the King's beloved niece, after all.

EDIT: Never mind, reread the relevant post.

Last edited:
So is Frederick considered most likely successor by the Corsicans (if not Theodore) at this point? He had married the King's beloved niece, after all.

I'm not sure there's a well-formed popular opinion of "the Corsicans" on the issue. We are, after all, still talking about a scattered, isolated rural population with neither roads nor newspapers. If you were somehow to actually poll them, Don Giovan (Morosaglia/Rauschenburg) would definitely have the highest name recognition, while Don Matteo is better known in the south because of his family connections. Don Federico remains the least known, although as the "victor of Capraia" he's not a total mystery figure.

Then there's "elite opinion" - the view of the notabili. As a whole, they are more favorable to Don Federico, but only by default - Don Giovan is somewhat polarizing and Don Matteo is problematic because of his clan associations. They don't necessarily know Frederick all that well and some may be a bit leery because he's the youngest of the "nephews" (still in his 20s), but he doesn't have the baggage of the other two. The only strongly pro-Frederick faction is among the "Venetians" - the old regular army cohort, including the Lusinchi brothers and Count Giappiconi. His marriage to Elisabeth is notable but not in itself all that important to the notabili. She might be Theodore's beloved niece, but she's only been around for a very short period of time (and she's also very French, which they don't necessarily like). That said, she's an attractive and outgoing person who will probably make a lot of friends at court, and will probably be more of an asset to her husband in gaining support than the sullen Maria Camilla will be for Don Giovan. The person whose opinion is affected most by Frederick's marriage is probably Theodore himself, which is good news for Frederick since technically Theodore is the one who makes the choice. That said, the king is not immune to the influence and pressure of his ministers and nobles.

Last edited:
Well, the SYW began in the Mediterranean in 1756 with the French invasion of Minorca, so it’s about eight years of peace (although I suppose it's only seven ITTL because of “King Theodore’s War”).

Well, there is the slight problem that Sweden was also part of the anti-Prussian alliance; so much for Protestant solidarity. Sweden's contribution was not very significant because their army was a shambles, but they did make a halfhearted attempt at invading Pomerania.

That said, even with Russia and Sweden in the ring the (mostly) Catholic-versus-Protestant nature of the war was observed by contemporaries. The pope and his diplomats openly referred to the conflict as a "war of religion" and were quite pleased to see the Catholic powers allied against the heretics. Sure, there were some "heretics" on the Catholic side as well, but at least the Catholics were banding together.

Don't forget that Portugal was on the English side however, so even the Catholics were divided.

Estrangement
Estrangement

ADjXB1X.png

Henri Léonard Jean Baptiste Bertin

French policy from the outbreak of the Corsican Revolution to “King Theodore’s War” was quite consistently opposed to Corsica’s separation from the Genoese state. It was not, as the British often suspected, that the French wanted the island for themselves; although individual ministers and ambassadors had sometimes flirted with the notion of French annexation, most notably in 1735, it had never been particularly attractive to King Louis XV. Certainly Louis and his advisors wished to deny Corsica to their rivals, particularly the British, who might use the island to disrupt French trade and imperil the kingdom’s security, and French annexation was an obvious means to avert such an outcome. But while Corsica was of strategic importance for France, so too was Genoa.

Although France held no territory in Italy, access to Italy was considered to be a strategic necessity. As long as the “Family Compact” endured, France needed to be able to defend the Italian domains of its Spanish ally, and in the event of another war between Vienna and Versailles it would be beneficial if the French were able to strike at Habsburg possessions in Lombardy. As the last war had demonstrated, however, British naval power meant that access to Italy by sea could not be guaranteed. France could only count on a land route into Italy, and for this there were only two options. One was through the territory of the evasive and duplicitous King of Sardinia, whose cooperation was hardly assured and could only be obtained at great cost. The other was through the Republic of Genoa, a much weaker and traditionally friendlier state. Consequently, French support for the Genoese in Corsica was intended not merely to deny Corsica to France’s enemies, but to maintain Genoa as a French client. A French annexation of Corsica might accomplish the former, but only by sacrificing the latter.

France’s about-face on this issue in 1749 was a consequence of Genoa’s complete rout from Corsica. With rebel forces now in control of virtually the entire island (save Bonifacio), the Genoese were no longer in any position to deny France’s rivals access to Corsican ports. France could either devote itself wholly to the reduction of the island - which was at that moment militarily and economically untenable - or come to an accomodation with the government which actually controlled those ports. Even so, King Louis had been loathe to deviate from his pro-Genoese policy for fear of turning the republic permanently against him, particularly given that the relationship between France and the Republic had already been badly strained by France’s “betrayal” of the Genoese at Aix-la-Chapelle. His eventual decision to recognize Corsican independence was due entirely to François Claude Bernard Louis de Chauvelin, who had assured Louis and his ministers that the Genoese government was quite eager to rid itself of the island. With deft diplomacy, Chauvelin argued, France could achieve a “perfect peace” - a resolution of the festering Corsican problem in a way that would keep both Corsica and Genoa within France’s sphere of influence.

In late 1749 Chauvelin had looked like a genius, but by 1752 Louis and his ministers were beginning to regret their trust in him. The years since Monaco had not been kind to Chauvelin’s “perfect peace.” Chauvelin himself had been caught entirely by surprise by the Genoese Revolution and had been forced to flee the city in a rather undignified manner. His superiors were hardly eager to hear of a popular revolt, but they were even more chagrined by the fact that the uprising had been quashed with Austrian troops. Empress Maria Theresa was not really interested in curbing French influence; her intervention in Genoa was chiefly a means to prop up the state so as to contain King Carlo Emanuele III of Sardinia and prevent him from profiting from Ligurian chaos. Nevertheless, the French worried that Genoese dependence on Austrian arms would wall France out of Italy entirely. Meanwhile, on the other side of the Ligurian Sea King Theodore had surprised everyone by wedding an Austrian duchess who was suspected in Versailles of being a pawn of Habsburg interests, and at the end of 1751 had entered into closer relations with Britain to the detriment of French interests in Tunisia. Chauvelin had promised that he could keep both Genoa and Corsica in the French orbit, but now it seemed as if France might be left with neither.

In Corsica, the French response to this dilemma was more stick than carrot. Chauvelin had contrived Corsica’s 15 million livre debt primarily as a means to control the island rather than to profit from it, but France’s own difficult financial situation coupled with Theodore’s unacceptably free-wheeling approach to “clientage” suggested to the French ministry that it was high time for the Corsicans to begin paying what they owed. Demanding interest from Corsica, however, was like squeezing blood from a stone. The state was perpetually broke, and the only person with a substantial sum of money - Queen Eleonora - had taken great pains to wall her fortune off from her husband and his government (and thus the French). But the French did not have much sympathy, for the reports of Pierre Emmanuel, Marquis de Crussol-Florensac detailed how the Corsican government hardly demanded any taxes and sold salt to the people at a rate that would be unthinkably low in France.

The French sought to correct this native “mismanagement” by dispatching Henri Leonard Bertin in 1753 to straighten out Corsican affairs. A 33 year old bureaucrat from a recently-ennobled family of Périgord, Bertin had served most recently as intendant of Roussillon. What the French probably had in mind was for Bertin to be another Guillaume du Tillot, the minister of finance for the newly installed Duke Felipe of Parma, who not only acted as France’s agent in the Parmesan court but pursued bold reforms of the duchy’s economy. Yet whereas Parma was an autocratic state where Felipe could staff his administration how he saw fit, Corsica operated under a constitution which demanded that “all the dignities, offices, and honors to be attributed in the kingdom be reserved for Corsicans alone, to the perpetual exclusion of any foreigner.” In an attempt to accommodate the French and satisfy his own government, Theodore gave Bertin an office in the household rather than the ministry, naming him as “Private Treasurer.” This did little to reassure Prime Minister Gianpietro Gaffori, who immediately perceived Bertin as a rival for power, his position in the household also earned him the ire of Queen Eleonora. The French, who already believed her to be an Austrian plant, assumed her animus was based on an inveterate hatred for France; in truth she was jealously guarding her control over the court finances, which she considered to be her private fiefdom.

To his credit, Bertin did have some worthwhile ideas. He initially welcomed the unusual posting as an opportunity, as Corsica seemed like it might be a tabula rasa where the latest modern and “enlightened” reforms could be introduced without the opposition of entrenched elites which seemed to always scuttle reform in France. Bertin outlined a plan for Corsica which involved a restructuring of the Catasto Reale, the modernization of agriculture, the surveying and exploitation of mineral resources, and an equitable system of taxation which would tap the resources of the wealthy. But Bertin’s program was hobbled by the perception that he was a foreign minder working for the benefit of France, and while Bertin was a capable administrator he was a poor politician who had no talent for convincing hostile factions to support his plans.

The centerpiece of Bertin’s program was the sovvenzione (“subvention”), a 5% tax on the gross product of land. The tax managed to win the grudging acceptance of the dieta, if only because Theodore made it abundantly clear that if Corsica could not service the French debt their very sovereignty would be in danger. Yet while the tax increased the government’s revenue, it fell far short of expectations. The Corsicans nicknamed it the Decima Borbonica (“Bourbon Tithe”), and believing that the funds mainly went to line the pockets of the French they frequently under-reported their yields or evaded the tax altogether. They found this easy as Corsica’s nascent bureaucracy was insufficient to the task and collection duties were often delegated to rural elites who felt the same way about the sovvenzione as the peasants. Getting accurate information about who owed what also proved extremely difficult because the government’s land survey was still years away from completion. The implementation of the sovvenzione caused Corsican cooperation with the surveyors (who were mostly French) to fall off dramatically, as the farmers correctly anticipated that the completion of the survey would make tax evasion harder. In his frustration, Bertin only managed to further alienate Gaffori by accusing him of deliberate mismanagement.

Bertin’s other schemes met similarly disappointing fates. He drafted a plan to reopen the old iron mine at Farinole and restore the nearby foundry at Murato, both long abandoned, but even with Theodore's support could find neither the funding nor the skilled labor to realize this plan. He thought to energize Corsican forestry by the construction of roads, but to procure the labor for this attempted to push through a plan of French-style corvée labor; Bertin imagined that a means to pay tax through labor would be welcome in cash-poor Corsica, but did not reckon with the absolute revulsion the Corsicans had for servitude (particularly of the unpaid variety). Bertin demanded fee hikes at ports and raising the coral levy, but here he was accused of partiality: French shipping was conveniently exempted from his added fees, while the greatest competitors of the coral fishermen (and thus the indirect beneficiaries of Bertin’s higher coral tax) were their French counterparts. Without a formal position in the government and facing the opposition of Count Gaffori, the queen, and virtually everyone else aside from Theodore himself, Bertin could not do much to enact his proposals or enforce those which were enacted. In 1755 he resigned this fruitless and thankless post after less than two years in office and pronounced Corsica to be “thoroughly ungovernable.”

Bertin’s early tenure overlapped with a visit from Theodore’s nephew, Charles Philippe de Bellefeulac, Comte du Trévou, the only son of his late sister Marie Anne Leopoldine. The Comte du Trévou had not been on Corsica since 1736, when he had briefly attended his uncle in a search for foreign adventure. It had been disappointing; Theodore welcomed him but urged the count to return to France where he could be of more use, and when Charles Philippe grudgingly departed he was captured by the Genoese and forced to apologize to his own government.

Much had changed since then. In 1736, the count had been an impetuous 17 year old cadet; in 1753, he was a 34 year old veteran officer, a captain in the elite Gardes Françaises. Publicly he declared that he was merely paying a visit to his esteemed uncle, who was now theoretically a friend of France, but everyone - especially Theodore’s other “nephews” - was convinced that he could have no other motive than to gain the Corsican throne for himself. He was, after all, the king’s closest male relative, having the advantages of both gender and legitimacy over his half-sister Elisabeth Cherrier Jeanne de Saint-Alban, the new Princess of Capraia. Theodore’s own writings from the 1730s suggest that, at least at that time, he viewed Charles Philippe as his likely successor.

Theodore received his nephew warmly, but Charles Philippe had no local support. Count Gaffori and the other ministers were respectful, but agreed privately that the Comte du Trévou had no evident interest in Corsica and would probably serve merely as a vessel for French policy, a concern which was particularly acute at this time. The law was on their side, for the Corsican constitution demanded that Theodore’s heir had to reside in the kingdom, something Charles Philippe clearly had no intention of doing. No doubt a royal crown appealed to him, but the count’s attachments in France were significant. He had a family of his own now, and he was a man of means and status who hunted with King Louis himself. To leave the social circle of Versailles for Corsica was hardly attractive, and Charles Philippe was more interested in glory than the practical politics which would be required to establish himself on an island already abundant with would-be successors.

Federico, Principe di Capraia was not on hand to meet this potential challenger, as he had departed for the continent earlier that year. Don Federico had not been to his estates in Westphalia since his father’s death in 1747, and his presence was badly needed to straighten out his affairs there. He did, however, spare some time on his journey for a visit to Lunéville, the seat of the court of Lorraine where his wife had influential kinsmen. Elisabeth’s niece was married to Charles-Juste, the son of the elderly Marc de Beauveau, Prince de Craon, who had resigned as Regent of Tuscany in 1749 and returned to Lorraine, while Charles-Juste’s sister Marie Françoise Catherine, Marquise de Boufflers, nicknamed “La Dame de Volupté” (“the Lady of Delight”), was the mistress of the reigning duke Stanisław Leszczyński, father-in-law of the King of France. Although not much of a cultural or philosophical heavyweight himself, Prince Frederick was welcome at Stanisław’s court, where the duke and his hangers-on were interested to hear stories of the famous le Roi-Laurier.

sp4GeV7.png

18th century drawing of the Château de Lunéville in Lorraine

The prince’s stay in Lunéville was not long, but this visit to his in-laws had a useful consequence. Frederick had sought their assistance, particularly that of the Prince of Craon, in making an appeal to Emperor Franz Stefan on Elisabeth’s behalf. This would eventually bear fruit in the following year when the obliging emperor, in his capacity as the head of the House of Lorraine, signed an act officially legitimating the Princess of Capraia. Although the act of legitimation explicitly denied her any inheritance rights, it declared her to be a recognized member of the extended House of Lorraine and permitted her to bear the surname of d’Harcourt. As the legitimate house of Lorraine-Guise-Harcourt was entirely extinct - Elisabeth’s father had died without male issue and his legitimate daughters were all deceased - this declaration offended precisely nobody and cost the emperor nothing. Signed in November of 1754, the edict arrived in time for the birth of Frederick and Elisabeth’s first son, baptised Théodore François Joseph (Teodoro Francesco Giuseppe), in May of 1755.[1] In further recognition of their mutual (if distant) relation, Emperor Franz became the child’s godfather by proxy.[2]

While this act of imperial benevolence demonstrated a warming in Austro-Corsican relations, Franco-Corsican relations were plunging into an unrecoverable tailspin. Bertin’s resignation was damaging, but the real problem was that Theodore’s relationship with Versailles, already badly damaged, could not withstand the strain of war.

Although there was little eagerness for another war in either London or Paris, Britain and France were pulled inexorably back into conflict by festering disputes on the peripheries of their empires. In India, the British and French (more specifically, the British East India Company and the French Compagnie de Indes) were already on opposite sides of a proxy war in the Carnatic. In North America, disagreements over the precise boundary between British and French territories led to increasingly bold acts by colonial forces, who attempted to bolster their nations’ rival claims by building forts and expelling rival traders from disputed territory. Ever greater provocations would eventually lead to actual shooting between Canadiens and British colonial troops in 1754. Thanks to the support of their native allies the French possessed an early advantage in these engagements, which in turn spurred the British to send regular forces to bolster the colonials. The French could not help but see this as an escalation and replied by sending forces of their own, which the British attempted to arrest by the exercise of their naval power. All the courts of Europe could plainly see that war was imminent. The great question was whether a conflict begun in the colonies would stay there, as the Anglo-Spanish war of 1739 had done before it was subsumed in the broader War of the Austrian Succession, or whether this new Anglo-French war would spill over into Europe.

This question divided even the ministers of the French government. Some cautioned that hostilities should remain bottled up in the Americas (and India), believing that opening a war in Europe would be both risky and ruinously expensive for the French state, which was still laden with debt from the last war. The proponents of a European war, however, wielded powerful arguments of their own. The strength of the British navy and Britain’s great advantage in colonial manpower (compared to the thinly populated territories of New France) gave her the upper hand in any colonial war in the Americas. In Europe, however, Britain was exposed and vulnerable. Hanover could be overwhelmed by the French army and taken as a valuable bargaining chip, and England itself lay tantalizingly close to French shores; despite the failure of previous enterprises, a coup de main against England would gain a French victory no matter what transpired in the dark forests of America.

Such a strategy was too bold for King Louis, and even those who believed a European war inevitable were not keen to stir up a hornet's nest by launching a French army into Germany or toppling the Hanoverians. An offensive in the Mediterranean, however, seemed like a proportional and politically acceptable compromise between colonial sequestration and continental conflagration. An invasion of British-held Menorca would deny the British a valuable base and was unlikely to draw British allies into the war. Better still, the prospect of the island’s return to Spain might tempt the reluctant Fernando VI to join the fight alongside his Bourbon cousin. Without their vital naval base at Port Mahon the British would be ill equipped to defend their recent acquisition of Tabarka, allowing the French to eject them from the Barbary Coast and indeed all the Mediterranean east of Gibraltar.

Corsica was an unwelcome complication to this plan. If Corsica’s neutrality were assured France would have no cause for alarm, but Theodore’s old alliance with the British and his behavior since 1749 suggested that he could not be trusted. In the view from Versailles, France’s gracious toleration of Theodore and his truculent people thus far was an indulgence which they could not afford in a time of war. To truly ensure that the British would gain no purchase on the Granite Isle, it would be necessary for the French to secure it themselves, whether Theodore and the Corsicans wanted them there or not.

Footnotes
[1] “François” was evidently chosen to honor both the emperor and Prince Frederick’s father Franz Bernhard, while “Joseph” was the name of Elisabeth’s own father, the last Comte d'Harcourt.
[2] The proxy was Charles de Nay, son of Emmanuel de Nay, Comte de Richecourt, Craon’s successor as president of the Tuscan regency and a key figure in Austro-Corsican relations during his tenure (1749-1757). The count and King Theodore shared an interest in agricultural and economic reform in their respective territories, as well as a mutual involvement in Freemasonry. They were occasional correspondents and cooperated to smoothly implement commercial agreements between Corsica and Livorno following Corsica’s independence in 1749. Richecourt would return to Lorraine after suffering a stroke, but his son Charles would settle permanently in Tuscany, having been enfeoffed with the imperial marquisate of Treschietto in the Tuscan Lunigiana.

Last edited:
So presumably Corsica is the spark that ignites the war as British see French moving troops to annex Corsica an attack on the Med, even if Corsica is to the British pro-French annexation is much too far. And with Corsica saying they'll aid the British should they come to their defence plus the other colonial issues, Britain won't want to wait for Corsica to fall.

Great update! I'm looking forward to seeing Corsica's response to French actions. I also wonder if the Sephardic Jewish community's theoretical support for Theodore and the nascent Corsican Jewish community might lead to increased anti-Semitic measures in France. It also just occurred to me that Jews in Corsica are going to be called upon to fight alongside the rest of Corsica. If given the opportunity I could see a fair number of other Jewish adventurers heading to Corsica to join up with Theodore's forces to prove the martial value of Jews to other countries thinking about Jewish emancipation. I could also see Corsican Jews doing all that they can to prove their loyalty to Theodore and his policies.