Kaiserreich: Legacy of the Weltkrieg

You know what is the funniest thing I ever saw happening on the KR reddit?

There was this community poll about the most vile ideology, with thousands of votes, and the ones considered the worst were::
1- National Populism
^ Fine.
2- Totalism
^Expected.
3- Market Liberal.
x'D x'D x'D x'D x'D x'D x'D x'D x'D x'Dx'D

There was this community poll about the most vile ideology, with thousands of votes, and the ones considered the worst were::
1- National Populism
^ Fine.
2- Totalism
^Expected.
3- Market Liberal.
Did they offer a rationale for that third one?

I didn't readed the comments, but I think we can guess that it is because Mar-libs usually represents the great capital and people that conservatives and left wingers are hostile to.

Last edited:
I didn't readed the comments, but I think we can guess that it is because Mar-libs usually represts the great capital and people that conservatives and left wingers are hostile to.
If so, wouldn't Paternal Autocrat or Authoritarian Democracy potentially be worse by permitting the exact same financial mechanics without the democratic institutions MarLib allows that could potentially check underregulated economic institutions?

Last edited:
If so, wouldn't Paternal Autocrat or Authoritarian Democracy potentially be worse by permitting the exact same financial mechanics without the democratic institutions MarLib allows that could potentially check underregulated economic institutions?

Yes, but the people voting usually comes from free western democracies, so they don't know autdem and pataut governments.

MarLib is loathed by many young people from Western countries because it's associated with unrestricted capitalism, which is (without getting too political) trending extremely unpopular in younger generations.

NatPops being fascists and Totalists ranging from Stalin to Big Brother, those two are more obvious, ofc.

Yes, but the people voting usually comes from free western democracies, so they don't know autdem and pataut governments.
MarLib is loathed by many young people from Western countries because it's associated with unrestricted capitalism, which is (without getting too political) trending extremely unpopular in younger generations.

NatPops being fascists and Totalists ranging from Stalin to Big Brother, those two are more obvious, ofc.
Right, I expected as much but was still curious. I think @Worffan101 makes a good point about how NatPops/Totalists are coded as obviously evil whereas, in my opinion, MarLib is presented as far more ambiguous in Kaiserreich, allowing audiences to make connections to whatever their go-to association with free-market dynamics is.

And for reference I'm from a western democratic country, but I guess I shouldn't have assumed everyone already loves exploring the minutia of these political distinctions right before a reddit poll :coldsweat: .

Last edited:
Right, I expected as much but was still curious. I think @Worffan101 makes a good point about how NatPops/Totalists are coded as obviously evil whereas, in my opinion, MarLib is presented as far more ambiguous in Kaiserreich allowing audiences to make connections to whatever their go-to association with free-market dynamics is.

And for reference I'm from a western democratic country, but I guess I shouldn't have assumed everyone already loves exploring the minutia of these political distinctions before a reddit poll :coldsweat: .
There's a meme aspect to it too, but the main reason why MarLib is hated is that GenZ in the West is suuuuuuuper left wing.

Doesn't help that the most notable MarLib nation in the game, AFAIK, is Imperial Japan.

There's a meme aspect to it too, but the main reason why MarLib is hated is that GenZ in the West is suuuuuuuper left wing.

Doesn't help that the most notable MarLib nation in the game, AFAIK, is Imperial Japan.
Yeah, but does MarLib Japan play meaningfully different from a Japan with literally any other ideology, barring any hypothetical future rework? Unless only MarLib Japan can institute a Zaibatsu-Cyberpunk dystopia, can we chalk up Japan's issues in-game to the ideology specificallly? So long as they all invade China and range from lolEvul to "I guess you're a worthy colony puppet or whatever", I'm not sure it's MarLib that people are gonna see as bad.

Yeah, but does MarLib Japan play meaningfully different from a Japan with literally any other ideology, barring any hypothetical future rework? Unless only MarLib Japan can institute a Zaibatsu-Cyberpunk dystopia, can we chalk up Japan's issues in-game to the ideology specificallly? So long as they all invade China and range from lolEvul to "I guess you're a worthy colony puppet or whatever", I'm not sure it's MarLib that people are gonna see as bad.
I think that MarLib Japan can't rape-pillage-burn the Chinese countryside on purpose like the natpops can. But honestly it's just a hypothesis--for most countries, the most interesting paths are Red or far-right (except China, anything can be cool in China). And the biggest country that has a major MarLib path, to my knowledge, is Japan. Sort of like how the Vozhd and his insanely fanatical revanchism is the poster boy for Natpop, and Oswald Mosley's evil plan to become Big Brother is the poster boy for Totalism.

1- National Populism
^ Fine.
2- Totalism
^Expected.
3- Market Liberal.
It might be because AuthDem and PatAut has examples like Mustafa Ataturk...? I really don't know lol

Market Liberal 'hatred' could also come from it being an unpopular form of government when it comes to actual gameplay. Most players in my experience prefer authoritarian regimes for maximum control. And in KR, most of the democracies are either minor powers or temporary weak regimes before the revolutions and civil wars begin.

MarLib is also one of the few ideologies traditionally portrayed as morally neutral. Like, Syndies, socdems, and soclibs are typically portrayed in a very positive light (see: demsoc South Africa, demsoc Cuba, democratic Red America, the left wing of the PSA, Federalist China, Soong's KMT, anarchist and demsoc Indochina, Gandhi's Bharat, Olson and Landon's USAs), Totalists and Natpops in an extremely negative one (Mosley is basically Big Brother, and other totalists and natpops include insane totalitarians like Dai Li, corrupt assholes who legalize suicide to get away with murder, outright French CommieNazis, Mussolini, a genocidal revanchist, a guy who likes sticking Jews on fishhooks, a literal Nazi, American Himmler, and the Kodoha faction literally want to rape, pillage, and burn all of China in a genocidal orgy of violence while turning Japan into a genocidal totalitarian agrarian feudalism-cosplay), but mar-libs and soc-cons tend to be less interesting and morally neutral, so ironically people hate on the Mar-Libs because they only really know the meme about them.

Deleted member 82792

What would Halloween be like in KR? Which nations besides America (depending on the 2ACW) would celebrate it?

What would Halloween be like in KR? Which nations besides America (depending on the 2ACW) would celebrate it?

Britain and Ireland. I don’t think that Halloween can take off in the KR world without the cultural and economic dominance of the US, and even then in Europe places like Germany only started celebrating it in the late 1990’s. Likely countries around the world celebrate their own versions of Halloween at different times of the year with vastly different traditions, if they celebrate it at all.